collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2022 MLB Thread  (Read 123532 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: 2022 MLB Thread
« Reply #200 on: March 01, 2022, 07:20:22 PM »
No major sport cares less about its fans than MLB. I wish there was a productive way to strike back as a fan, but I know it’s not realistic.

Don't give them another nickel? Don't go to games, don't watch 'em on TV, don't listen on the radio, don't buy jerseys and other clothing, don't buy new baseball cards or any collectibles, etc.

You alone doing that won't move the needle even the tiniest fraction. But if hundreds of thousands or millions do it, it would get their attention. That's kind of what happened after the last lockout but the Steroid-a-thon lured fans back. Although I still hear from plenty of people who say they have barely paid any attention to baseball since they canceled the 1994 World Series.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #201 on: March 02, 2022, 11:02:53 AM »
They'll just move to China where the money is.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #202 on: March 02, 2022, 04:34:34 PM »
Was told a deal maybe done tomorrow. 

Take it for what it’s worth, but from my guy, deal is closer than media outlets seem to make it

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #203 on: March 02, 2022, 04:50:23 PM »

Take it for what it’s worth, but from my guy, deal is closer than media outlets seem to make it

I'm holding Brewers Opening Day tickets for March 31.  I received an email from the Brewers yesterday that indicated that Opening Day was being tentatively rescheduled for Thursday April 14 (which is the next home game after the 2 canceled opening series vs. AZ and SF) and that my March 31 tickets would be good for whatever would be the first home game.  I'm planning on April 14.  If a deal's done this week the Brewers could open April 7 at Wrigley.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #204 on: March 02, 2022, 05:19:14 PM »
I'm holding Brewers Opening Day tickets for March 31.  I received an email from the Brewers yesterday that indicated that Opening Day was being tentatively rescheduled for Thursday April 14 (which is the next home game after the 2 canceled opening series vs. AZ and SF) and that my March 31 tickets would be good for whatever would be the first home game.  I'm planning on April 14.  If a deal's done this week the Brewers could open April 7 at Wrigley.

I’m told it will be April 7.  (Assuming it’s done tomorrow like I was told)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #205 on: March 02, 2022, 05:26:27 PM »
That would be nice.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #206 on: March 02, 2022, 06:01:54 PM »
That would be shocking.

MLB put out story that deal was close Monday night. They then proceeded to add small print with the offer Tuesday that hadn't even been discussed. I suspect this new story is coming from owners as well. Their priority is making the players look bad - not getting a deal done.

As long as the Haves and the Have-Not owners are fighting amongst themselves, I don't expect anything to happen.

I hope I am wrong, but...,

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #207 on: March 03, 2022, 10:19:05 PM »

Got heeeeeem

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #208 on: March 03, 2022, 10:39:30 PM »
Got heeeeeem

Just relaying what management said

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #209 on: March 04, 2022, 05:52:01 AM »
Over/under in Vegas on MLB regular season games played this year is 124.5

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #210 on: March 04, 2022, 06:27:01 AM »

About 4 per team? That seems accurate

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #211 on: March 04, 2022, 09:06:19 AM »

That would have them starting around Memorial Day.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #212 on: March 04, 2022, 09:12:16 AM »
The less games they play the more reason to add an additional layer of playoffs to make it seem like the new normal.  10 is already too many for a 162 game season and 14 is ridiculous.  You can't play 162 games to get rid of just a little more than half the teams.

The owners are moving to moustache twirling Snidley Wiplash levels of evil.  This is 100% on them.  They locked out the players, the players have already conceded every point (no earlier start for arbitration or free-agent clock, etc.).  Its just a matter of bonus pool money for young players and salary cap numbers really.  The owners are making more money than ever before and player salaries have actually declined since 2016. 

They are not interested in negotiating anything to improve the game play or to stop tanking, and they want to fill their coffers with even more money for additional playoff rounds that the players don't want and the fans don't want.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #213 on: March 04, 2022, 09:49:41 AM »
The sport was already in decline in terms of popularity, and they're staring down a total disruption of their TV carriage with the RSNs in freefall.

Just seems like a really inopportune time to dig their heels in, when looking at the longer term picture.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #214 on: March 04, 2022, 11:44:35 AM »
Just relaying what management said

As I said earlier, management puts these kind of things out there so that when a deal doesn't happen - and there was basically a 0% chance - they can then blame the players for not acting when a deal is "close".

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #215 on: March 04, 2022, 08:25:33 PM »
That would have them starting around Memorial Day.

More like mid May.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #216 on: March 04, 2022, 08:31:37 PM »
The less games they play the more reason to add an additional layer of playoffs to make it seem like the new normal.  10 is already too many for a 162 game season and 14 is ridiculous.  You can't play 162 games to get rid of just a little more than half the teams.

The owners are moving to moustache twirling Snidley Wiplash levels of evil.  This is 100% on them.  They locked out the players, the players have already conceded every point (no earlier start for arbitration or free-agent clock, etc.).  Its just a matter of bonus pool money for young players and salary cap numbers really.  The owners are making more money than ever before and player salaries have actually declined since 2016. 

They are not interested in negotiating anything to improve the game play or to stop tanking, and they want to fill their coffers with even more money for additional playoff rounds that the players don't want and the fans don't want.

Warrior

Not a fan of the owners but a 23% increase in the minimum salary isn’t insignificant.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #217 on: March 07, 2022, 10:24:28 AM »
Now that the Ricketts family is talking about buying Chelsea for upwards of $3.5 BILLION, are they obligated to stop talking about their "biblical" losses with the Cubs?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #218 on: March 07, 2022, 11:14:02 AM »
Now that the Ricketts family is talking about buying Chelsea for upwards of $3.5 BILLION, are they obligated to stop talking about their "biblical" losses with the Cubs?

He was talking across MLB.  And guess what, the Ricketts are filthy FILTHY rich, both can be true.  They could personally have lost $1B due to COVID issues with the Cubs and still be in a position to have the assets to buy CFC, shrug.  Companies have horrific quarters/years all the time...and still move forward with mergers or acquisitions or capital investments.

I'm no fan of the MLB owners, and even though I'm a Cubs fan, I don't care much for the Ricketts, but I'm always amused how people are so quick to counter owner comments on the business of sports with "oh but they're rich".  You can comment on something potentially being bad financially for the sport or owners or a team without pleading poverty.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #219 on: March 07, 2022, 11:18:38 AM »
unnatural carnal knowledge the Ricketts.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #220 on: March 07, 2022, 11:33:57 AM »
He was talking across MLB.  And guess what, the Ricketts are filthy FILTHY rich, both can be true.  They could personally have lost $1B due to COVID issues with the Cubs and still be in a position to have the assets to buy CFC, shrug.  Companies have horrific quarters/years all the time...and still move forward with mergers or acquisitions or capital investments.

I'm no fan of the MLB owners, and even though I'm a Cubs fan, I don't care much for the Ricketts, but I'm always amused how people are so quick to counter owner comments on the business of sports with "oh but they're rich".  You can comment on something potentially being bad financially for the sport or owners or a team without pleading poverty.

They 'say'. I think they include real estate costs of buying properties around Wrigley in that billion dollar loss.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #221 on: March 07, 2022, 12:06:10 PM »
They 'say'. I think they include real estate costs of buying properties around Wrigley in that billion dollar loss.

Sorry, I meant in hypotheticals.  $500M, $1B, $2B, whatever the sum.  They have enough money that they could have absolutely suffered enormous losses (or not) and still be perfectly fine in terms of capitalization to put up for Chelsea

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #222 on: March 07, 2022, 12:21:28 PM »
Sorry, I meant in hypotheticals.  $500M, $1B, $2B, whatever the sum.  They have enough money that they could have absolutely suffered enormous losses (or not) and still be perfectly fine in terms of capitalization to put up for Chelsea

Absolutely - and I understood that was what you were saying.

My original remark was sarcasm. My second post that they aren't telling the entire truth was not. We don't know what the actual numbers are.

The only team where we can see the books are the Atlanta Braves. As far as the owners there are concerned, they could quote Chico Escuela when he said - “Baseball been berry, berry good to me!”

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #223 on: March 10, 2022, 06:33:35 AM »

The only team where we can see the books are the Atlanta Braves. As far as the owners there are concerned, they could quote Chico Escuela when he said - “Baseball been berry, berry good to me!”

Baseball been berry, berry good to both the owners and the players. And berry, berry bad to its fans. While MLB argues about whether the minimum salary should be 700,000 or 710,000, fans brace for what the new CBA will cost them - and when they’ll be given the privilege to pay that cost.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #224 on: March 10, 2022, 08:00:22 AM »
Baseball been berry, berry good to both the owners and the players. And berry, berry bad to its fans. While MLB argues about whether the minimum salary should be 700,000 or 710,000, fans brace for what the new CBA will cost them - and when they’ll be given the privilege to pay that cost.

All true, but fans have a choice. And so often they choose to let themselves be treated badly.

If folks willingly pay $100 for a game ticket and $15 for a beer, and make $10,000 trips to AZ or FL for spring training, and pay for the MLB network, etc, they kinda are "enablers."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson