[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Get Rid of the Charge  (Read 13756 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Get Rid of the Charge
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2023, 11:48:47 PM »
Separate from that, can someone explain the rule where Oso was fouled with the clock stopped at the end of the game? I thought that was supposed to be two shots and the ball?

Your thought is correct.  That and the Kolek charge were absurd calls. 

Not quite. What you are describing is a type of Flagrant 1 foul which is 1 shot and the ball. Flagrant 1s are personal fouls that are deemed "excessive in nature" and/or "avoidable". Fouling before the clock starts is allowed but you need to make sure that the ref doesn't view it as "excessive in nature" or "avoidable". I would translate this as intentional. If the ref thinks you intentionally fouled to stop the clock, it's a Flagrant 1. If he thinks it's incidental, common foul.

The chrage on Kolek was bogus
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2023, 12:04:36 AM »
This is an area where the European/International rules (or enforcement thereof) is much better than NCAA / NBA.  There still exists a charge rule, but the defender has to be there long enough to get a parking ticket in order to get the call. 

This whole thing with defenders rushing into/under the driving/leaping player will unfortunately end with a severe injury unless there is a rule change first.   The safety issue is far more important than the difficulty for the average college ref to get it right.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2023, 04:31:13 AM »
Separate from that, can someone explain the rule where Oso was fouled with the clock stopped at the end of the game? I thought that was supposed to be two shots and the ball?

I might be wrong about this, but only if it’s judged excessive. It’s not automatic.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2023, 06:12:08 AM »
White people love the charge
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2023, 06:18:41 AM »
Racist, George
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2023, 06:39:08 AM »
I can remember when just about any contact with a player was called a foul.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2023, 06:40:46 AM »

I can too. This season's Providence game. But only one team.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2023, 06:47:22 AM »

I can remember when women didn’t wear pants
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2023, 07:10:24 AM »
I might be wrong about this, but only if it’s judged excessive. It’s not automatic.

Feels like everyone should just be overly aggressive on the inbounds then, so as to never allow time to fall off.

I'd think it'd fall under 'unsportsmanlike behavior' or 'delay of game'

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2023, 07:24:56 AM »

Is it intentional, excessive or either one?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2023, 07:29:39 AM »
Is it intentional, excessive or either one?

Not quite. What you are describing is a type of Flagrant 1 foul which is 1 shot and the ball. Flagrant 1s are personal fouls that are deemed "excessive in nature" and/or "avoidable". Fouling before the clock starts is allowed but you need to make sure that the ref doesn't view it as "excessive in nature" or "avoidable". I would translate this as intentional. If the ref thinks you intentionally fouled to stop the clock, it's a Flagrant 1. If he thinks it's incidental, common foul.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2023, 07:52:01 AM »
Thanks TAMU. But the reality is, there is little chance you are calling a Flagrant 1 in that scenario. It would have to be pretty blatant for that to happen.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2023, 07:55:25 AM »
I thought it was borderline. I'm neither surprised nor outraged that the ref didn't call it, but it wouldn't have been a bad call had he deemed it a flagrant.

I'm just grateful that the ref wasn't conned into calling an offensive foul on O-Max!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2023, 08:01:35 AM »
Yeah I had no problem with the Oso one just being a foul. Tough to call intent there. And it just looks worse since it happened to be Oso.

The TK charge was criminal though.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2023, 08:35:46 AM »
Thanks TAMU. But the reality is, there is little chance you are calling a Flagrant 1 in that scenario. It would have to be pretty blatant for that to happen.

I think it would have to be a hack-a-Shaq type of foul, right? My view was blocked, but it seemed like the Oso foul was just a regular off the ball foul as Oso was trying to get open. Although, I’m sure intentional in some way.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2023, 08:40:32 AM »
I'm sure that fouling the right guy just hard enough to avoid a flagrant without time coming off the clock is something that teams work on as part of their end of game scenarios.  Credit to UConn for executing, credit to Oso/Stevie for making them pay.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2023, 08:43:34 AM »

Not to the degree you are saying but do you think it is called a lot tighter during the NCAA tournament and pre conference games like Hurley said in his presser?  Hurley made mention that he won’t be nearly as concerned in March about getting calls or the physical play.  Basically said many of his younger guys weren’t strong enough and didn’t have freedom of movement from being held and grabbed in conference games.

Do you think this is a correct theory?  Or does it just seem that way when another teams guards are simply more aggressive and stronger.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2023, 09:17:57 AM »
This is an area where the European/International rules (or enforcement thereof) is much better than NCAA / NBA.  There still exists a charge rule, but the defender has to be there long enough to get a parking ticket in order to get the call. 

This whole thing with defenders rushing into/under the driving/leaping player will unfortunately end with a severe injury unless there is a rule change first.   The safety issue is far more important than the difficulty for the average college ref to get it right.

This is exactly it.  There should be an "offensive foul" for something like what the refs thought Kolek did (charge into a guy in good defensive position with shoulder lowered, push off with off hand, neither of which Kolek did).  They need to get rid of the charge where a guy is going airborn and the only "defense" being played is someone who didn't play good enough defense to prevent the offensive player from getting to the rim and can't contest the shot just jumps under him and falls over hoping for the whistle to go his way.  It's garbage basketball and refs don't know how to call it.  Defenders should need to be making a play on the ball.

The Kolek call was just the wrong call.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2023, 12:31:16 PM »
Gold clearly charged.  I thought Kolek's was a coin flip.  The one I want to see called more is the hook.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2023, 12:35:48 PM »
Gold clearly charged.  I thought Kolek's was a coin flip.  The one I want to see called more is the hook.
How about a good, old-fashioned 3 seconds call?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2023, 12:37:03 PM »
Yes.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2023, 01:04:29 PM »

Gold's was obvious. I thought Kolek's was a nice flop. I also thought MU benefitted from the call on Joplin when he had already lost control of the ball and was heading out of bounds.

It happens.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2023, 01:11:14 PM »
Exactly.   Expect the refs to miss some.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2023, 01:12:50 PM »
My only complaint about the refs was Hurley didn’t get T’d up. When I saw Driscoll, I thought it was going to be a sure thing.

No instance that he should have gotten one, but for me Danny Hurley didn’t live up to the hype.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2023, 01:30:08 PM »
My only complaint about the refs was Hurley didn’t get T’d up. When I saw Driscoll, I thought it was going to be a sure thing.

No instance that he should have gotten one, but for me Danny Hurley didn’t live up to the hype.

I too was disappointed. I bet the over on a Widowmaker.

feedback