Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Kolek  (Read 4616 times)

lostpassword

• Starter
Re: Kolek
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2021, 09:16:15 PM »
Also I think that play was a planned trap play by Shaka, amazing coaching if so.

I remember when Illinois was dribbling up the court I was confused why Shaka wasn’t calling for a foul?? As I’m worrying about that Kolek makes the move and the rest is history

Regarding trap: watch this interview.  Coaching matters. He knew exactly what we needed to do. Wojo wouldn't even know how much time was left.  I also love how Shaka has the team totally bought in... running huddles comments with Fanta...
 https://twitter.com/John_Fanta/status/1460447964200120325?t=jW8yUOITF36qFjqj9PuQeA&s=19

mug644

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2021, 09:35:00 PM »
He'll need to be more of a scorer for this team than he's seemed to look to be so far this year.  He has the ability to get to spots on the court that not many other guys on this team can, and while he can put teammates in good spots to score, those guys struggle to put the ball in the hoop.  Hopefully he's aggressive looking for his shot.

That may be the case, ultimately. For now, however, I think it is important and valuable that his focus is to get others involved. If he was taking a shot more often (when he gets in the lane or moves around the perimeter) other players might start standing around, not expecting a pass. I think he is being well used and playing well at this point.

While I’m among those who worry about how he will keep up with BEast players, I really appreciate how he is defining his role.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2021, 09:52:30 PM »
Regarding trap: watch this interview.  Coaching matters. He knew exactly what we needed to do. Wojo wouldn't even know how much time was left.  I also love how Shaka has the team totally bought in... running huddles comments with Fanta...
 https://twitter.com/John_Fanta/status/1460447964200120325?t=jW8yUOITF36qFjqj9PuQeA&s=19

Fanta is such a goon, and he's a bit corny on the Play by Play, but he's really likeable and genuinely enthusiastic.  He's such an asset for the conference.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2021, 10:18:50 PM »
Fanta is such a goon, and he's a bit corny on the Play by Play, but he's really likeable and genuinely enthusiastic.  He's such an asset for the conference.
John Fanta is the kind of  unique character that is what The Big East has been all about.   
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2021, 10:51:23 PM »
I would never refer to Fanta as a goon. The rest I agree with…..so I think we both understand who he is and what he does.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2021, 09:10:07 AM »
I would never refer to Fanta as a goon. The rest I agree with…..so I think we both understand who he is and what he does.

Physically, he definitely does not fit the profile of your typical media personality, and his voice is super annoying.  I have wondered aloud in the past if he got that job because he was Val Ackerman's nephew or something.

But he has started to grow on me.  He knows his stuff, and has great enthusiasm for the Big East.  I even like his loud sportcoats.
Have some patience, FFS.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2021, 09:16:20 AM »
I agree with this analysis.

Same, he seems to get into spots for a stop and pop or runner pretty easily. In this era and to this point in our season the "smart play" is typically a kick-out pass for an open 3. It'll be interesting to see if he starts putting more of those shots up if we don't start knocking down the 3s. It's still early and some of the missed 3s look good, so  hopefully the pass remains a good option but it is worth watching how that situation evolves.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2021, 02:03:09 PM »
Will he evolve into this...

or this...

or maybe this!?!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2021, 02:08:17 PM »
Why not this?

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2021, 02:10:30 PM »
Physically, he definitely does not fit the profile of your typical media personality, and his voice is super annoying.  I have wondered aloud in the past if he got that job because he was Val Ackerman's nephew or something.

But he has started to grow on me.  He knows his stuff, and has great enthusiasm for the Big East.  I even like his loud sportcoats.

I think he got the job because he hustled his tail off in college with Seton Hall media and was fortunate to be 30 minutes from Big East HQ where he could hustle his tail off there with the newly built digital platforms.  Add in FS1's bare bones college hoops start up vibe and it's a perfect storm for him.  Really any COMM or JOUR kid his age at SHU or St John's could be in his shoes but he hustled so much that he got it.  It's cool to watch.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2021, 02:13:26 PM »
I think he got the job because he hustled his tail off in college with Seton Hall media and was fortunate to be 30 minutes from Big East HQ where he could hustle his tail off there with the newly built digital platforms.  Add in FS1's bare bones college hoops start up vibe and it's a perfect storm for him.  Really any COMM or JOUR kid his age at SHU or St John's could be in his shoes but he hustled so much that he got it.  It's cool to watch.
I first heard him covering a MU woman’s game a few years back when the team was going well . He did a great job conveying the spirit of the game .
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2021, 02:58:15 PM »
He can probably afford to move out of his van down by the river.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.