[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Shooter McGavin
[June 14, 2024, 11:05:04 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by mug644
[June 14, 2024, 11:02:51 PM]

2024-25 Roster by El Guerrero 2
[June 14, 2024, 10:37:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Kolek  (Read 4611 times)

JWags85

• All American
Kolek
« on: November 16, 2021, 12:36:47 PM »
So stoked that we get this dude for 4 years.  Vision, passing, good rebounder for a guard, can score, and just fantastic basketball instincts.

The Diener comparisons have been made but he feels way more Arcidiacono/Gillespie to me.  Steady, consistent, always in the right spots.  I was high on him already, even after a shaky UNH game (but then again the whole team outside Morsell was shaky), but 12-5-5 with 2 steals against a team like Illinois last night was just further proof of concept.  Dude is gonna be a rock for Shaka as he rebuilds this program.

MU82

• All American
Re: Kolek
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 12:41:23 PM »
So stoked that we get this dude for 4 years.  Vision, passing, good rebounder for a guard, can score, and just fantastic basketball instincts.

The Diener comparisons have been made but he feels way more Arcidiacono/Gillespie to me.  Steady, consistent, always in the right spots.  I was high on him already, even after a shaky UNH game (but then again the whole team outside Morsell was shaky), but 12-5-5 with 2 steals against a team like Illinois last night was just further proof of concept.  Dude is gonna be a rock for Shaka as he rebuilds this program.

The two 3s he hit, and obviously the steal/layup ... if those don't happen, we do not win last night. Period.

He looks like he can be a super-solid player for a long time. Any of those Nova PGs, and Brunson too ... I'd take 'em!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 12:42:16 PM »
Kolek is going be a guy every other BE fans is going to hate and I love it. He is crafty, confident and full speed guy and is going to annoy the hell out of opponents.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2021, 12:45:04 PM »
He said in the postgame interview he could barely walk after his knee injury after UNH. Love the dedication just to get back into a state where he could run around and compete last night. True Warrior.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2021, 12:45:16 PM »
Has to get a softer touch for most his layups multiple times he slammed the ball off the backboard rather than payed it in. It's actually the reason I was still terrified when he stole the ball
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2021, 12:47:57 PM »

I agree. With a couple shooters and a big man with decent hands, Dickie Simpkins prediction of a top 3 assist man might eventually come true.

I also like the Arcidiacono comparison. I don't think he will ever become a Gillespie-quality guy.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2021, 12:49:24 PM »
Has to get a softer touch for most his layups multiple times he slammed the ball off the backboard rather than payed it in. It's actually the reason I was still terrified when he stole the ball

Yep. As is the case with everybody, he has a lot of room for improvement. Lewis and OMP each slammed one off the glass yesterday, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2021, 12:55:24 PM »
It seemed Illinois was sitting on his kick out passes towards the end of the game. I’m guessing he will be a little more aggressive scoring when his knee feels better.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2021, 12:58:22 PM »
Kolek is that dude.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2021, 01:04:58 PM »

His balance wasn't quite there on most of his teardrops.  I think it's a touch and footwork issue.  It seems to me the great ones often decelerate slightly once they decide to unleash the floater and are never in a hurry.   If it's a challenge for him to master he could always stop in the lane and take the mini-j.   But yes, more arc and touch is preferable.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2021, 01:07:18 PM »
Playing MU's schedule, he will have to adjust to Big East defenders vs A-10 defenders.    Saw a little of that last night.    Still hobbling some.     Like so many other things, patience and process.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2021, 01:27:36 PM »
I agree. With a couple shooters and a big man with decent hands, Dickie Simpkins prediction of a top 3 assist man might eventually come true.

I also like the Arcidiacono comparison. I don't think he will ever become a Gillespie-quality guy.

Arcidiacono is in his 5th NBA season.  Not a bad comp, if accurate.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2021, 01:29:54 PM »
Looks like a very solid player.  Happy to have him.  SSS so I am not overly concerned, but the shot is kind of gross.  Very flat.  But definitely willing to give that more time. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2021, 01:38:50 PM »
I just learned this week that a friend from high school's kids are friends of Kolek.  They hung out together in Cumberland, RI. 
No other info to share.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2021, 01:43:39 PM »
He’ll probably transfer
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2021, 01:49:28 PM »
Arcidiacono is in his 5th NBA season.  Not a bad comp, if accurate.

FR year = high KenPom comp w Collin Gillespie fwiw
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Milkshakes

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2021, 01:51:17 PM »
Not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere but the steal at the end was really an incredible play. He started moving on that steal 5 or so steps away anticipating that Curbelo would turn back and arrived exactly on time. You just can’t teach that.  Big fan of that killer instinct. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2021, 02:13:11 PM »
He didn't steal it from Curbelo.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2021, 02:17:56 PM »
Also I think that play was a planned trap play by Shaka, amazing coaching if so.

I remember when Illinois was dribbling up the court I was confused why Shaka wasn’t calling for a foul?? As I’m worrying about that Kolek makes the move and the rest is history

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2021, 02:36:04 PM »
FR year = high KenPom comp w Collin Gillespie fwiw

Much different circumstances. Gillespie only play 14 minutes a game and was surrounded by 5 or 6 NBA players.

That being said, if he greatly improves his 3 pt shooting, he could be a poor man's Gillespie. Styles are somewhat similar.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2021, 03:22:45 PM »
Much different circumstances. Gillespie only play 14 minutes a game and was surrounded by 5 or 6 NBA players.

That being said, if he greatly improves his 3 pt shooting, he could be a poor man's Gillespie. Styles are somewhat similar.

Nope. Should have clarified — 2018-19 (soph) year Collin is the close comp
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2021, 03:47:45 PM »
Nope. Should have clarified — 2018-19 (soph) year Collin is the close comp

I almost put in my post that I would take the comp more seriously if they used Gillespie's 2nd year. I certainly see why they make this comp and see similarities.

My point, though, was about how good they will be. While their games certainly have enough similarities for the comp, I think there is a 0% chance that Kolek will be as good as Gillespie.

I know the comparison doesn't say he will be as good, but I think that is how a lot of people interpret it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2021, 04:21:29 PM »
He'll need to be more of a scorer for this team than he's seemed to look to be so far this year.  He has the ability to get to spots on the court that not many other guys on this team can, and while he can put teammates in good spots to score, those guys struggle to put the ball in the hoop.  Hopefully he's aggressive looking for his shot.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2021, 04:32:43 PM »
He'll need to be more of a scorer for this team than he's seemed to look to be so far this year.  He has the ability to get to spots on the court that not many other guys on this team can, and while he can put teammates in good spots to score, those guys struggle to put the ball in the hoop.  Hopefully he's aggressive looking for his shot.

I agree with this analysis.

Bob "Big Daddy" Wild

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2021, 06:06:43 PM »
Holy cow I thought he was a grad transfer.  Nice.
Former president.  Part-time MUScooper.