[Today at 07:03:51 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by jfp61
[Today at 06:19:23 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by WhiteTrash
[Today at 04:47:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East Polls, NET Rankings and Team Sheets  (Read 107811 times)

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: Big East Polls, NET Rankings and Team Sheets
« Reply #225 on: January 12, 2022, 07:52:59 AM »
SHU and X at home in the first 3 of this stretch are the big ones.

Really gotta get forsure 1 of them. Both to feel in a good spot for the last 4 of the gauntlet as the road games roll in.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #226 on: January 12, 2022, 08:03:10 AM »
Big East Net Rankings as of games of January 11, 2022

New Old
7   7   Villanova   
16   14   UConn   
18   17   Xavier   
26   26   Seton Hall   
33   35   Providence   
41   44   Marquette   
64   64   Creighton   
107   108   St. John's
109   104   DePaul   
141   136   Butler   
189   192   Georgetown
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #227 on: January 12, 2022, 08:04:50 AM »
St. Bonaventure creeps up 3 to 106, Ole Miss falls 2 to 112. Love to see both of those get into the top-100 and become Q2 games.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #228 on: January 12, 2022, 08:24:52 AM »
There is no doubt that they are facing a tough stretch, but not one of these teams is unbeatable. I would be disappointed if they did win at least three of the next seven. The guys are playing well, playing together and look extremely confident. There was no time last night did I feel they had a chance of losing. They were the better team and took care of business. I fully expect the trend of solid play to continue.

Yep, there is no "great" team in the Big East this season. There are some darn good ones, and we're trying to prove we are one of them; this stretch will go a long way toward determining that.

Like you, I certainly think 3-4 wins during this stretch is possible -- 3 home games and at Providence are "winnable" by any definition. Not sure what the likes of kenpom and torvik say, but then again they don't play.

I also never thought we faced the possibility of losing last night ... but then again DePaul is DePaul. You can count on them coming unglued, and I left quite unimpressed with their new coach. None of the 5 teams we'll be playing in this stretch is anywhere near as effed-up as DePaul. If we get wiped out on the boards by an actually good team, we probably can't count on 46% 3-point shooting to save us.

But again, I love your optimism -- and it's not misplaced at all. The only reason for any Scooper to be pessimistic is if he or she just wants to be a mope.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #229 on: January 12, 2022, 09:01:44 AM »
Not sure what the likes of kenpom and torvik say, but then again they don't play.

KenPom says we are a dog in all 7 games, but that the most likely outcome is 2-5 followed by 1-6, followed by 3-4.

2-5 is fine. I won't be upset but I won't be particularly happy either. 3 or more wins and I'm pretty stoked. Seton Hall and Xavier at home and Providence on the road seem like the ripest games for the picking. At Nova is probably the only one I don't see a reasonable chance of victory.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #230 on: January 12, 2022, 09:17:07 AM »
KenPom says we are a dog in all 7 games, but that the most likely outcome is 2-5 followed by 1-6, followed by 3-4.

2-5 is fine. I won't be upset but I won't be particularly happy either. 3 or more wins and I'm pretty stoked. Seton Hall and Xavier at home and Providence on the road seem like the ripest games for the picking. At Nova is probably the only one I don't see a reasonable chance of victory.

Thanks for the info.

In my mind, the Seton Hall game sets the tone for the next 3 1/2 weeks. Win that, and 4-3 feels very doable IMHO.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #231 on: January 12, 2022, 09:17:39 AM »
Thanks for the info.

In my mind, the Seton Hall game sets the tone for the next 3 1/2 weeks. Win that, and 4-3 feels very doable IMHO.

This is my thought as well
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #232 on: January 12, 2022, 09:18:26 AM »
Also, not to be that guy, but keep in mind that in Marquette's last 5 wins, the opponent has been missing a starter. It doesn't put an asterisk next to those wins, and I think the result would have been the same in 4/5 of them but just something to keep in mind. Of course we were down a starter (though Kam seems to have lost his starting spot) in our last three losses as well, so it cuts both ways.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #233 on: January 12, 2022, 09:18:40 AM »
My thoughts for the remaining BE games:

8-6 tourney lock
7-7 squarely on the bubble
6-8 on the outside looking in

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #234 on: January 12, 2022, 09:33:09 AM »
Also, not to be that guy, but keep in mind that in Marquette's last 5 wins, the opponent has been missing a starter. It doesn't put an asterisk next to those wins, and I think the result would have been the same in 4/5 of them but just something to keep in mind. Of course we were down a starter (though Kam seems to have lost his starting spot) in our last three losses as well, so it cuts both ways.

Yeah much more likely we win Uconn with Daryl or Creighton with Kam than any of the other 3 games even become down the stretch competitive in our wins.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #235 on: January 12, 2022, 09:34:21 AM »

Kam "lost" his starting spot only after he got Covid; had he been healthy throughout, he very well could still be starting. We also were without Morsell one game. But sure, it helped that opponents were down a man, a very key guy in several of those games. And you weren't even talking about Cofi. Hey, we'll take it!

panda

• All American
« Reply #236 on: January 12, 2022, 09:36:08 AM »

It’s bears mentioning, but this year especially, it is the norm.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #237 on: January 12, 2022, 09:49:01 AM »
Yeah much more likely we win Uconn with Daryl or Creighton with Kam than any of the other 3 games even become down the stretch competitive in our wins.

Good point.

Providence wasn't gonna win that game with Ernie D at the point! (But they might have won it with him and Bad News Barnes.)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #238 on: January 12, 2022, 10:20:04 AM »
My thoughts for the remaining BE games:

8-6 tourney lock
7-7 squarely on the bubble
6-8 on the outside looking in

I pretty much agree. Might need 9-5 to be a lock, but 8-6 is probably in that bubble but likely in (9-11 seed) territory.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #239 on: January 12, 2022, 11:34:23 AM »
Lunardi currently has us moved us above the last four byes/last four part and with 7 total teams "in" for the Big East.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #240 on: January 12, 2022, 11:36:43 AM »
Also, for those who enjoy such things: Torvik has us on the "bubble team rooting guide" after last night. So if you're bored and want to know what games matter to Marquette outside of the one they play--it makes lazy Saturday viewing a little more fun.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #241 on: January 12, 2022, 11:46:44 AM »
Also, for those who enjoy such things: Torvik has us on the "bubble team rooting guide" after last night. So if you're bored and want to know what games matter to Marquette outside of the one they play--it makes lazy Saturday viewing a little more fun.
You're gonna wear yourself out tracking the bubble that closely in mid-January, but I'm definitely a fan of the resource.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #242 on: January 12, 2022, 11:57:22 AM »
I pretty much agree. Might need 9-5 to be a lock, but 8-6 is probably in that bubble but likely in (9-11 seed) territory.

With 7 games against the top 35 of Net, 2-5 in those games and 6-1 against Creighton and the bottom feeders is going to be solid.

At a minimum, that would be a home win against Seton Hall and a road win at Providence.  It's also possible the two wins are better than that.

Go 3-4 against the top 35, and Marquette has a bigger margin of error in the other 7 games.

IMO, a 9 seed is in comfortably.  That's usually 10 teams between you and the cutline.  8-6 would probably be enough for a 9 or 10 seed.  7-7 has Marquette in the 12 teams competing for the last 6 spots.

The difference between an 11 seed, avoiding Dayton, and a 2 seed in the NIT is usually very small.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 11:59:26 AM by Juan Anderson's Mixtape »

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #243 on: January 12, 2022, 12:01:09 PM »
You're gonna wear yourself out tracking the bubble that closely in mid-January, but I'm definitely a fan of the resource.

Oh, I know it's way too early for that. But it does make it fun to have a rooting interest in the random game on espn2. That's really what I glean from it until mid to late february.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #244 on: January 12, 2022, 12:01:20 PM »
I feel like 8-6 finish for 11-9 in conference is comfortably in.

That said, isn’t it highly unlikely we even make up the SJU game?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #245 on: January 12, 2022, 12:04:11 PM »
January 11,2022 Team Sheets. Marquette is 41
https://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/2022/net-teamsheets
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #246 on: January 12, 2022, 01:34:16 PM »

In that case, 7-6 might be enough as long as MU gets two top 35 wins.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #247 on: January 12, 2022, 01:58:23 PM »

Prior league performance suggests you're correct.  11 wins we should be solidly in, and typically, .500 teams need to win a BET tournament game.

Prior to 2021 (and going back to the split) only one Big East team with a league record above .500 failed to make the NCAA tournament (St. Johns in 2014).

In 2021, St. Johns and Seton Hall both finished 10-9 and failed to earn a bid--hard to know the impact of the missing league game, but one thing to note is the overall number of missed games overall probably impacted results.  Seton Hall was only 14-13 (3-3 non-conference, 1-1 in the BET) and St. Johns was 16-10 overall (5-1 non-conference, 0-1 BET).  The two teams faced each other head to head in the BET, and Seton Hall came away with the win (before losing in the next round to Georgetown).  Might have been interesting to know what would have happened had St. Johns won the BET opener, as I don't think the committee was going to seed Seton Hall under any circumstance, but may have given St. Johns a closer look had they won. 

Prior to 2021, 4 of 10 teams that finished .500 made the tournament.  There were no .500 finishers in 2021
Five of six that missed the tournament lost their opening round BET game, and 3 of the 4 that made it won their opener.  The lesson here is that if we head into the BET with a .500 record, we better win the opening round game if we hope to receive a bid.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #248 on: January 12, 2022, 03:25:12 PM »
TeamRankings Logo Marquette Logo   
Marquette Basketball
Predictions Update
Jan 12, 2022
•   After beating DePaul 87-76 yesterday, Marquette is now projected to finish the regular season 17-14 (9-11 Big East).
•   The odds that the Golden Eagles make the NCAA tournament are up to 83%, an increase of 5% since yesterday.
•   We currently rank Marquette as the #51 team in the country, and the #6 team in the Big East.
•   Next game: Sat, Jan 15 vs. #20 Seton Hall. Our power ratings give the Golden Eagles a 42% chance to win.
Bracketology Projections
Make NCAA Tournament 83% Get Automatic NCAA Bid 3% Projected Seed(if Selected) 10

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #249 on: January 12, 2022, 04:06:07 PM »
In that case, 7-6 might be enough as long as MU gets two top 35 wins.

FWIW, and it’s probably not much, Torvik projects MU as a 9 seed if they finish 7-6.