[Today at 02:47:50 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by MUbiz
[Today at 12:32:43 PM]

Point guard or big by Jockey
[Today at 11:37:56 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 10:25:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East Polls, NET Rankings and Team Sheets  (Read 107613 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Big East Poll and NET Rankings
« Reply #200 on: January 09, 2022, 08:30:52 AM »
I feel like Syracuse gets in with 17 wins all the time (and I am too lazy to check that).

I think if we can just remain in the last 4 in conversation, it will be hard to take someone else’s resume over ours…

I wasn't too lazy, last year was the only time in the past 20 Tournaments that Syracuse got in with fewer than 19 wins. They were 16-9, and if you just project .500 to a more regular season (6 more games) they would be 19-12, certainly worth consideration.

But as far as the bubble goes, I agree. We have some really nice wins that not a lot of other teams can match.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #201 on: January 09, 2022, 10:32:25 AM »
I think if we can just remain in the last 4 in conversation, it will be hard to take someone else’s resume over ours…

This.  Some really weak resumes for bubble teams out there.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #202 on: January 09, 2022, 10:39:29 AM »
Lunardi has us and Virginia Tech as last four teams.  This is their resume to date.

Obviously a lot of games left to play but if these are the resumes we are going against if we can stay on the bubble I feel much better.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #203 on: January 09, 2022, 10:45:56 AM »
This.  Some really weak resumes for bubble teams out there.

Is it a soft bubble?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #204 on: January 09, 2022, 10:47:10 AM »
Lunardi has us and Virginia Tech as last four teams.  This is their resume to date.

Obviously a lot of games left to play but if these are the resumes we are going against if we can stay on the bubble I feel much better.

The Buzz Williams Legacy. #TBW

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #205 on: January 09, 2022, 11:24:01 AM »
Is it a soft bubble?

Seems like it always is until it isn't. 2018 turned out to have a tough bubble (ND, Louisville, Marquette among the teams with legit gripes at being left out).

This year it will depend on who's there. If it's teams from the SEC, Big 10, Big East, & Big 12, it will be a tough bubble. Because those leagues all provide a ton of good win opportunities, so teams that fail to separate themselves will likely have some solid wins and computer numbers.

But if those leagues have clear dividing lines (say Big East 1-7 solidly in, 8-11 clearly out) and the bubble is a mix of ACC, American, and Pac-12 teams, you'll have a soft bubble because those teams will have some gross resumes.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #206 on: January 09, 2022, 11:36:39 AM »
Seems like it always is until it isn't. 2018 turned out to have a tough bubble (ND, Louisville, Marquette among the teams with legit gripes at being left out).

This year it will depend on who's there. If it's teams from the SEC, Big 10, Big East, & Big 12, it will be a tough bubble. Because those leagues all provide a ton of good win opportunities, so teams that fail to separate themselves will likely have some solid wins and computer numbers.

But if those leagues have clear dividing lines (say Big East 1-7 solidly in, 8-11 clearly out) and the bubble is a mix of ACC, American, and Pac-12 teams, you'll have a soft bubble because those teams will have some gross resumes.

Good point.

Your bracketology insight is awesome and appreciated, thanks for all the data.

Do you find it hard to remove your Marquette bias from your work or is it easy for you?

I’m not a big bettor, just do it occasionally and casually to add more excitement and skin in some of the games, but I find it nearly impossible to bet against MU so I never do. I actually only try to bet MU when I’m supremely confident and have last minute insider info about the opposition missing a key piece etc, which I often times get from scoop.
Since I keep a close eye on the BE I feel like I have a bit of an advantage on other BE games that I’m neutral on, however.

It’s not an apples to apples comparison but I wonder if it’s difficult to look at MU in a completely neutral light, especially in a year they may end up on the bubble?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #207 on: January 09, 2022, 12:36:59 PM »
Do you find it hard to remove your Marquette bias from your work or is it easy for you?

I'd like to think I'm getting better at it. From 2014-16, it didn't matter much because we weren't a tourney team. I thought they deserved a bid in 2018. I do pay attention to other brackets and when I find I differ significantly, whether on Marquette or anyone, I ask some of the other bracketologists what they see that I don't. Usually Delphi, Kevin Pulsipher, Dave Omman, and Jim Root are good about responding and providing feedback that helps me get better at placing Marquette and others I may have a soft spot for.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #208 on: January 10, 2022, 01:37:06 AM »
Marquette NET remains at 44

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #209 on: January 10, 2022, 08:40:44 AM »
Big East Net Rankings as of games of January 9, 2022
New Old
7   7   Villanova   
14   15   UConn   
18   18   Xavier   
26   25   Seton Hall   
35   33   Providence   
44   44   Marquette   
64   66   Creighton   
103   103   DePaul   
108   106   St. John's
136   137   Butler   
185   189   Georgetown   
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #210 on: January 10, 2022, 02:32:21 PM »
Big East Poll Rankings as of January 10,2022
AP
14. Nova
17.X
20. The Hall
23.Cooley& Company
Others Receiving Votes:
U Conn
Coaches
14.Nova
18. The Hall
20.Cooley&Company
21. X
Others Receiving Votes:
U Conn
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Big East Polls, NET Rankings and Team Sheets
« Reply #211 on: January 11, 2022, 09:34:33 AM »
Big East NET Rankings as of games of January 10,2022
New Old
7   7   Villanova   
14   14   UConn   
17   18   Xavier   
26   26   Seton Hall   
35   35   Providence   
44   44   Marquette   
64   64   Creighton   
104   103   DePaul   
108   108   St. John's
136   136   Butler   
192   185   Georgetown

1/10/22 Team Sheets . Marquette is #44
https://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/2022/net-teamsheets

---Al McGuire

source?

• All American
« Reply #212 on: January 11, 2022, 10:41:27 AM »
Illinois, Mississippi, West Virginia, Bonaventure, and NIU all play today. Could be an interesting day for our advanced numbers.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #213 on: January 11, 2022, 01:10:19 PM »
Illinois, Mississippi, West Virginia, Bonaventure, and NIU all play today. Could be an interesting day for our advanced numbers.

Ole Miss and St. Bonaventure are both pretty close to moving up to Q2 games. Both would be helpful.

Looking at the rest of our resume, K-State could get up to Q1 as well.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #214 on: January 11, 2022, 10:16:47 PM »

Illini didn’t cover but were close
Ole Miss blown out by Buzz
WVU blows out OKSt
Bonnies win in OT against a crap team, not sure what’s happening there but it ain’t good. That team looked like an Elite 8 type team.
NIU wins on the road as a 15 pt underdog.

Most importantly MU was looking at a 20 pt victory and wins by 11. Still better than the expected margin but not as big of a difference as the 20pt win would bring.

All in all my guess is likely a marginal improvement in the NET, maybe 3-4 spots? It would be great to slid into the low 30s but I’m not sure it’ll happen. Regardless, still trending up!

Big one on Saturday. I previously said I felt that Providence at home was the best team/matchup to get a resounding win against to drastically improve the computer numbers and revive this seasons tourney chances. I feel like SH this Saturday is the second best opportunity…

Im not sure it’ll happen that way because it is starting to feel like a correction game is due sometime soon- I don’t mean a loss I just mean a reversion back to normalcy offensively- all Marquettes do reach equilibrium after all.
That said, the team is on a roll and it’s a big matchup versus a team with recent history that should have the crowd fired up, so I do still think that this is the second best opportunity for a big metrics win.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #215 on: January 11, 2022, 10:25:38 PM »
Illini didn’t cover but were close
Ole Miss blown out by Buzz
WVU blows out OKSt
Bonnies win in OT against a crap team, not sure what’s happening there but it ain’t good. That team looked like an Elite 8 type team.
NIU wins on the road as a 15 pt underdog.

Most importantly MU was looking at a 20 pt victory and wins by 11. Still better than the expected margin but not as big of a difference as the 20pt win would bring.

All in all my guess is likely a marginal improvement in the NET, maybe 3-4 spots? It would be great to slid into the low 30s but I’m not sure it’ll happen. Regardless, still trending up!

Big one on Saturday. I previously said I felt that Providence at home was the best team/matchup to get a resounding win against to drastically improve the computer numbers and revive this seasons tourney chances. I feel like SH this Saturday is the second best opportunity…

Im not sure it’ll happen that way because it is starting to feel like a correction game is due sometime soon- I don’t mean a loss I just mean a reversion back to normalcy offensively- all Marquettes do reach equilibrium after all.
That said, the team is on a roll and it’s a big matchup versus a team with recent history that should have the crowd fired up, so I do still think that this is the second best opportunity for a big metrics win.

Up to 46 in kenpom
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #216 on: January 11, 2022, 10:30:21 PM »
Up to 46 in kenpom

45, 5th in the Big East at the moment. 6 of our 7 next games are against the 4 teams currently ranked above us and the 7th is a road game against the 6th highest team in the Big East.

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #217 on: January 11, 2022, 10:36:25 PM »
45, 5th in the Big East at the moment. 6 of our 7 next games are against the 4 teams currently ranked above us and the 7th is a road game against the 6th highest team in the Big East.

Really looking forward to this 7-game stretch. We are gonna learn a ton about this team. Fun to have big games against quality opponents.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #218 on: January 11, 2022, 11:46:59 PM »
I'm actually ok with this settling back to a solid, but not resounding win. Shaka sounded like he was mildly unsatisfied with some of the plays that were left out there on the court, which I think bodes well moving forward.

I think this team will enter the SH game feeling good, but not complacent as though they have it all figured out.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #219 on: January 12, 2022, 01:05:13 AM »
Really looking forward to this 7-game stretch. We are gonna learn a ton about this team. Fun to have big games against quality opponents.

The bad news is well probably lose most of them. The good news is we can go 1-6 and still have a reasonable shot at the tourney.

The best news is if we can somehow win 3 or 4 we're spending February talking about the possibility of a protected seed.

Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #220 on: January 12, 2022, 03:32:14 AM »
The bad news is well probably lose most of them. The good news is we can go 1-6 and still have a reasonable shot at the tourney.

The best news is if we can somehow win 3 or 4 we're spending February talking about the possibility of a protected seed.

I don’t think this team goes 1-6.  I expect at least three wins.  The upper tier big East teams are beatable the way we are playing now.  I would be very disappointed with 1-6.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #221 on: January 12, 2022, 04:00:51 AM »
I don’t think this team goes 1-6.  I expect at least three wins.  The upper tier big East teams are beatable the way we are playing now.  I would be very disappointed with 1-6.

Brew can tell us, but I would have to think if we go 3-4 over this stretch we're definitely talking single-digit seed. That would be amazing.

I'd be pretty happy with 2-5. That's two more Q1 wins which I think would put us in great position for a bid as long as we take care of business down the stretch.

1 and we're still fighting but need to be almost perfect on the home stretch.

0-7 would be quite disappointing but I don't think that will happen.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #222 on: January 12, 2022, 05:44:04 AM »
1 win and we pretty much need to win out.

2 and we're bubbly, but with a favorable schedule to get in.

3 and we're solidly looking at a single digit seed.

4 and we're just playing for seeding.

5+, start thinking about protected seed locations.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #223 on: January 12, 2022, 07:30:45 AM »
As most expected

We went up, but just slightly.

41 now.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Goose

• All American
« Reply #224 on: January 12, 2022, 07:49:14 AM »
There is no doubt that they are facing a tough stretch, but not one of these teams is unbeatable. I would be disappointed if they did win at least three of the next seven. The guys are playing well, playing together and look extremely confident. There was no time last night did I feel they had a chance of losing. They were the better team and took care of business. I fully expect the trend of solid play to continue.

feedback