[April 26, 2024, 10:47:48 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NCAA Hoops Thread '21-22  (Read 80660 times)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: NCAA Hoops Thread '21-22
« Reply #725 on: January 19, 2022, 11:04:14 AM »
No way he stays at UNC after this year right?

he will have to sit if he leaves.

What happens to his six figures in NIL deals if he leaves though? Right now that's more than he'll make in the Bosnian professional league.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #726 on: January 19, 2022, 11:37:43 AM »
he will have to sit if he leaves.

What happens to his six figures in NIL deals if he leaves though? Right now that's more than he'll make in the Bosnian professional league.

He's making 6 figures now? How is that sustainable for businesses? I mean seriously, there's got to be a negligible return on that marketing investment if any. I mean if it's was a publicly traded company couldn't that almost be considered mismanagement of funds?
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #727 on: January 19, 2022, 11:37:52 AM »
At somepoint Texas gonna have to prove they deserve a ranking

After yesterday, they finally have a Quadrant 1 win...

...on the road at K-State, which is only Q1 because they won at Texas :D
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #728 on: January 19, 2022, 11:46:38 AM »
He's making 6 figures now? How is that sustainable for businesses? I mean seriously, there's got to be a negligible return on that marketing investment if any. I mean if it's was a publicly traded company couldn't that almost be considered mismanagement of funds?

I don't mean this at all condescendingly, but you clearly don't have an experience in advertising or media buying.  If you think failed marketing or sponsorship efforts are "mismanagement of funds" I don't know what to tell you otherwise.  I worked at a publicly traded company that did a $5MM event sponsorship/PR campaign/marketing effort that had about 25% of the expected attendance, saw no noticeable brand impact, and didn't lead to any further steps on the planned marketing path for that product.  The general reaction was "welp, lesson learned, don't do that in the future" and one director probably got passed over for a promotion that cycle.

I assure you public companies spend FARRRR more, comparatively and scaled, on advertising/marketing ventures that have spurious returns.  There are plenty of businesses who do advertising that is strictly "brand building" aka there is no direct path to purchase from the vast majority of people they advertise to, companies like Boeing, Dow, etc...

If a top athlete at a local university gives the brand association with that team or puts them in the eyeballs of that player's followers, that works.  Its not always 1 for 1. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #729 on: January 19, 2022, 12:16:08 PM »

Maybe I am missing something, but his stats show that he is by and large the same player at UNC than he was a MU.  Just playing less.

The weirdest thing is that he is shooting worse from 2, and better from 3.  EFG is down overall.  But everything else is pretty much similar when the difference in minutes is accounted for.

Usage. Including playing a lot less. Wojo seemed to run a lot of plays to position them for succcess based on their abilities. Obviously, all three moved on to higher levels teams, but look at Garcia, he dominated the team he transferred to this year.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #730 on: January 19, 2022, 12:26:17 PM »
Usage. Including playing a lot less. Wojo seemed to run a lot of plays to position them for succcess based on their abilities. Obviously, all three moved on to higher levels teams, but look at Garcia, he dominated the team he transferred to this year.

His usage is actually UP this year.  23.6% v. 22.0%.  It is down since conference season though, which means by the end of this year it will likely be lower.

But even his usage last year wasn't obscene.  The difference in usage last year between first (Carton at 24.7) and fourth (McEwen at 20.8) wasn't significantly different.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #731 on: January 19, 2022, 12:29:42 PM »
I don't mean this at all condescendingly, but you clearly don't have an experience in advertising or media buying.  If you think failed marketing or sponsorship efforts are "mismanagement of funds" I don't know what to tell you otherwise.  I worked at a publicly traded company that did a $5MM event sponsorship/PR campaign/marketing effort that had about 25% of the expected attendance, saw no noticeable brand impact, and didn't lead to any further steps on the planned marketing path for that product.  The general reaction was "welp, lesson learned, don't do that in the future" and one director probably got passed over for a promotion that cycle.

I assure you public companies spend FARRRR more, comparatively and scaled, on advertising/marketing ventures that have spurious returns.  There are plenty of businesses who do advertising that is strictly "brand building" aka there is no direct path to purchase from the vast majority of people they advertise to, companies like Boeing, Dow, etc...

If a top athlete at a local university gives the brand association with that team or puts them in the eyeballs of that player's followers, that works.  Its not always 1 for 1.

This is awkward but since grad school I've done Marketing Analytics for CDW and now Omnicom. At CDW we actually could trace a return to sponsorship of the PGA tour because the director required some type of benchmarking to approve continuing the sponsorship. I should probably quit while I'm ahead though since I don't have media buying experience  :-X

I assumed that it'd be mismanagement because I'm assuming (my bad) that these are existing UNC stakeholders throwing capitol at bench players to keep them happy. Every campaign should have established benchmarks that they need to meet for whatever KPIs that the strategy team came up with during the planning phase.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #732 on: January 19, 2022, 12:36:07 PM »
His usage is actually UP this year.  23.6% v. 22.0%.  It is down since conference season though, which means by the end of this year it will likely be lower.

But even his usage last year wasn't obscene.  The difference in usage last year between first (Carton at 24.7) and fourth (McEwen at 20.8) wasn't significantly different.

Usage has many definitions. You are using one from Pomeroy. I am also using minutes (way down) and how he/they are being used and featured within an offense.

Garcia, Joey and Henry were outside-in players under Wojo, and now they are more inside-out.  They are now primarily in the paint players.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #734 on: January 19, 2022, 12:41:59 PM »
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #735 on: January 19, 2022, 12:53:40 PM »
This is awkward but since grad school I've done Marketing Analytics for CDW and now Omnicom. At CDW we actually could trace a return to sponsorship of the PGA tour because the director required some type of benchmarking to approve continuing the sponsorship. I should probably quit while I'm ahead though since I don't have media buying experience  :-X

I assumed that it'd be mismanagement because I'm assuming (my bad) that these are existing UNC stakeholders throwing capitol at bench players to keep them happy. Every campaign should have established benchmarks that they need to meet for whatever KPIs that the strategy team came up with during the planning phase.

Coming from both the media agency side and then the company side, the returns on brand building sponsorships and spend is hazy at best.  It can be done, and plenty of companies do it, but I remember seeing directly how it could slide and vary.  I mean, Boeing used to use "brand favorability" metrics and ratings to comp and justify their media buys and ad spending.  Not the most precise tools, especially when its not a digital property.

Hell, major professional sports in general is almost always negative return.  I worked for 3 years on MillerCoors media business.  NFL, NBA, college sports spending, that wasn't incredibly targeted or niche (aka some of the AA focused NBA work, smaller digital properties or buckets for the NFL, etc...) was almost always a money pit from a direct return on spend.  However, it was to get your name and brands out there and affiliated with sports and the fervor around it, and it paid back in other ways.

YMMV but thats my experiences.  As for bias cause UNC stakeholders like a player or whatnot, I know for a FACT that multiple Gatorade sponsored athletes in the early 2010s were chosen over others due to their current team or alma maters being favored or affiliated by higher ups in branding at the company t the time.  So while it might seem more likely for a car dealership to throw some cash at a random UNC player cause the owner is a fan, its not unheard of for it to happen at the mega level too.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #736 on: January 19, 2022, 12:58:42 PM »
https://twitter.com/xavier_sanchez4/status/1483794207538089988?s=21

As much as I wanna talk sh!t, there’s there’s no doubt in my mind that a Marquette fan has done something similar and just hasn’t been caught on camera.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #737 on: January 19, 2022, 01:05:02 PM »

I don't know if you saw the article last week about Texas A&M boosters allegedly shelling out upwards of $30million for this year's recruiting class (likely a violation of Texas state law and the NCAA is investigating, not that Jimbo cares). The money Dawson is getting is likely coming from booster owned companies. They would have spent it on UNC in one way or the other.

Here's the A&M article about how it's being done:  https://brobible.com/sports/article/texas-am-recruiting-class-nil-money/ (though the article in incorrect in saying it's legal. NIL money cannot be contingent on a recruit attending an institution or directly, or indirectly, facilitated by the institution).

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #738 on: January 19, 2022, 01:11:53 PM »
I don't know if you saw the article last week about Texas A&M boosters allegedly shelling out upwards of $30million for this year's recruiting class (likely a violation of Texas state law and the NCAA is investigating, not that Jimbo cares). The money Dawson is getting is likely coming from booster owned companies. They would have spent it on UNC in one way or the other.

Here's the A&M article about how it's being done:  https://brobible.com/sports/article/texas-am-recruiting-class-nil-money/ (though the article in incorrect in saying it's legal. NIL money cannot be contingent on a recruit attending an institution or directly, or indirectly, facilitated by the institution).

Texas A&M is in so much trouble
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #739 on: January 19, 2022, 01:16:10 PM »
Texas A&M is in so much trouble

The SEC: If you're not cheating you're not trying.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #740 on: January 19, 2022, 03:36:58 PM »
As much as I wanna talk sh!t, there’s there’s no doubt in my mind that a Marquette fan has done something similar and just hasn’t been caught on camera.

Marquette also doesn't have the reputation of a lilywhite basketball team, thinking they do stuff "the right/classy way", and way to disregard almost every, primarily black, recruit that spurns their basketball team as likely academically deficient.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #741 on: January 20, 2022, 10:26:38 AM »
Is comparing Woj vs Boom Shaka Lakka even a thang. I mean, one dude is a Timex, the other is a Rolex, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

VanderBlueFanClub

• Starter
« Reply #742 on: January 20, 2022, 02:35:36 PM »
Still can't believe that LSU lost to Alabama, I find this especially crazy due to fact that LSU has one of if not the best defenses in college basketball this year. I always thought the Bama was too offensive sided guard heavy in a conference that requires hard-nosed defense and bigs.
2016-2017 G-League MVP - Vander Blue

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #743 on: January 20, 2022, 02:43:08 PM »
Still can't believe that LSU lost to Alabama, I find this especially crazy due to fact that LSU has one of if not the best defenses in college basketball this year. I always thought the Bama was too offensive sided guard heavy in a conference that requires hard-nosed defense and bigs.

It does???
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #744 on: January 20, 2022, 02:52:57 PM »

Can't believe it?

LSU was down 2 key players and were dogs in the game.

Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #745 on: January 20, 2022, 05:23:06 PM »
Is comparing Woj vs Boom Shaka Lakka even a thang. I mean, one dude is a Timex, the other is a Rolex, aina?
That’s twice today.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #746 on: January 20, 2022, 08:29:15 PM »
Purdue with a nice choke
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #747 on: January 20, 2022, 08:31:28 PM »
It's Indiana, it's Indiana

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #748 on: January 20, 2022, 08:33:23 PM »
Purdue with a nice choke

For a really good team, Purdue takes a lot of bad shots.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #749 on: January 20, 2022, 08:35:34 PM »
Including a last second 3, since IU didn't foul up 3.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.