[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA 75th Anniversary Team  (Read 6557 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
NBA 75th Anniversary Team
« on: October 11, 2021, 07:56:40 AM »
So the NBA is going to be naming 75 players to its 75th Anniversary team, 25 years after naming 50 to its 50th.  So who will those extra 25 names be?  How many who made the 50th will not make the 75th?

Here are my thoughts.  I have 14 obvious or near obvious candidates, 11 who are "in the conversation," and three who are pretty much shoo-ins but are younger in their careers.

Obvious: Lebron James, Dwyane Wade, Tim Duncan, Steph Curry, Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash, Allen Iverson, Kevin Garnett, Dirk Nowitzki, Kevin Durant

Near Obvious: Chris Paul, Jason Kidd, Paul Pierce, Reggie Miller

In the Conversation: Tony Parker, Alonzo Mourning, Pau Gasol, Manu Ginobili, Ray Allen, Gary Payton, Tracy McGrady, James Harden, Russell Westbrook, Dikembe Mutombo, Vince Carter

Shoe Ins but Young: Giannis, Anthony Davis, Kawhi Leonard

I guess there could be older players who were frozen out of the 50th team too.  Who they might be I don't know.

Am I missing anyone?  Some of the thought processes around these players are interesting.  Is Ray Allen better than Dave Bing?  Is Tony Parker better than Tiny Archibald?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MUfan12

• All American
Re: NBA 75th Anniversary Team
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 08:41:17 AM »
Interesting topic.

McGrady is one I'd leave off. Sure, he made the HOF. Great scorer in his prime, but rarely affected the game in other ways. Harden is similar, but has had far more triple doubles and is one of the most gifted offensive players I've seen, as much as I can't stand how he plays.

The three younger guys having rings also affects the conversation. Kawhi is a definite, IMO. Giannis and AD not far behind.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 09:06:45 AM »
I think Giannis makes it, albeit his inclusion needs to include some projection.  But 2 MVPs, DPOY, and Finals MVP by age 27 is definitely worthy. 

Add three All NBA 1st teams and two 2nd teams, especially considering Lebron, Durant and Kawhi are the other top forwards of this era, and Giannis has an even stronger case.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 10:17:33 AM »
Giannis' body of work suggests he "deserves" it, but as FBM said he's relatively young. Didn't average 20 pts or 8 rebs till his 4th season, so he's had only 5 great seasons. They were great, and he got better and better, but maybe just not enough of them. I wouldn't be surprised if he's left off.

Kawhi also hasn't had a zillion "great" seasons, but his playoff performances, including MVP for 2 different title teams, will matter. As will the fact that he has a full decade in the NBA, and had many, many honors. Will be surprised if he's not on it.

Davis is kind of a tweener between Kawhi and Giannis. I'll say he's not selected ... but won't be surprised if he is.

I'm thinking all 14 of FBM's obvious and near obvious are in easily.

Harden and Parker I think are in, perhaps Mourning too. Seems to be lots of love for Gasol among player chatter. For that matter, cases could be made for everybody else FBM names on his "conversation" list.

Carmelo Anthony? Dwight Howard? Those are big names and big stats compilers. Chris Bosh? Very good stats and key contributor on 2 champs and 2 more finalists.

What will be interesting to me:

1. As FBM said, will any old-timers who weren't on the 50th team be chosen this time?

2. Will anybody who was on the 50th team get knocked off the 75th team by a newbie?

Good topic, Fluff.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 10:25:51 AM »
Here's the 50- https://www.nba.com/history/nba-at-50/top-50-players

Walton is interesting. I didn't get to watch him play, but know that injuries took away a lot of his prime.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 10:51:22 AM »
Giannis and Leonard have to be locks.  I also think Klay is in the conversation with the others mentioned.

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 10:55:28 AM »

Walton is interesting. I didn't get to watch him play, but know that injuries took away a lot of his prime.

OK, I didn't really think twice about Bill Walton until I looked at his stats.  And...well...if Giannis doesn't make it because he doesn't have enough years, than I can't imagine how Walton made it.  Sure his peak was high, but Giannis has more games and minutes played.  And one more MVP award.

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2021, 11:00:41 AM »
Fluffy, Shaq made the top 50 with fewer seasons than Giannis.  Antetokounmpo is a lock, look at his stats?  He also has 2MVP's, a DPOY, and a Finals MVP.  He's already top 25 ever and moving up quickly. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2021, 11:10:06 AM »
Fluffy, Shaq made the top 50 with fewer seasons than Giannis.  Antetokounmpo is a lock, look at his stats?  He also has 2MVP's, a DPOY, and a Finals MVP.  He's already top 25 ever and moving up quickly.

Giannis is a lock
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2021, 12:08:54 PM »
What will be interesting to me:

1. As FBM said, will any old-timers who weren't on the 50th team be chosen this time?

2. Will anybody who was on the 50th team get knocked off the 75th team by a newbie?

As for #2, I would think the answer *should be* yes.  You would think that more than 1/3 of the NBA's best all time players have risen to prominence in the last 25 years right?  The real questions are, who will it be?  And is that enough?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2021, 12:13:24 PM »

Maybe the hardest decision. Woulda been a Top 10 all-timer without injuries.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2021, 12:16:33 PM »
So the NBA is going to be naming 75 players to its 75th Anniversary team, 25 years after naming 50 to its 50th.  So who will those extra 25 names be?  How many who made the 50th will not make the 75th?

Here are my thoughts.  I have 14 obvious or near obvious candidates, 11 who are "in the conversation," and three who are pretty much shoo-ins but are younger in their careers.

Obvious: Lebron James, Dwyane Wade, Tim Duncan, Steph Curry, Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash, Allen Iverson, Kevin Garnett, Dirk Nowitzki, Kevin Durant

Near Obvious: Chris Paul, Jason Kidd, Paul Pierce, Reggie Miller

In the Conversation: Tony Parker, Alonzo Mourning, Pau Gasol, Manu Ginobili, Ray Allen, Gary Payton, Tracy McGrady, James Harden, Russell Westbrook, Dikembe Mutombo, Vince Carter

Shoe Ins but Young: Giannis, Anthony Davis, Kawhi Leonard

I guess there could be older players who were frozen out of the 50th team too.  Who they might be I don't know.

Am I missing anyone?  Some of the thought processes around these players are interesting.  Is Ray Allen better than Dave Bing?  Is Tony Parker better than Tiny Archibald?

Impressive post. The questions at the end (there are others too) are going to be the hardest.

I think some of the older guys lose their luster over time. As to the 2 you mention, I would take Bing (barely) and Archibald (easily).

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2021, 12:20:20 PM »
My guess is the 50 from before stay, and they add 25 New Players.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2021, 12:28:02 PM »
My guess is the 50 from before stay, and they add 25 New Players.

I'd have to think that the folks who compiled the original 50 know very well who just missed in the 51-55 range and will give those guys very strong consideration. I'd be surprised if at least a couple of those guys didn't make it into the 75.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2021, 03:06:26 PM »

If one only counts Walton's NBA career (and I think that's what is supposed to be the case), Walton shouldn't be on this all-time team. He was great when healthy ... but he had the equivalent of 4 healthy years. Almost everybody on FBM's list had a better NBA career -- including Giannis and Davis -- and all of them played way more games.

Otherwise, I can't see any old-timers who could get surpassed. DeBusschere? Sam Jones? I mean, they were great players and, unlike Walton, they weren't hurt all the time.

I remember when the 50th team was picked there was some controversy surrounding the inclusion of O'Neal, who was only in his 5th year. Obviously, he went on to justify being selected. Maybe the memory of that helps a guy like Giannis.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2021, 03:14:59 PM »
I don't understand why Dominique Wilkins doesn't get more love.  Some of these names seem off to me.  He shouldn't be penalized for playing on mediocre teams. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2021, 03:18:54 PM »
I don't understand why Dominique Wilkins doesn't get more love.  Some of these names seem off to me.  He shouldn't be penalized for playing on mediocre teams.

It’s funny you mention that because I always remember hearing that Dominique was very overrated.

Never saw him play in his prime so couldn’t give an opinion one way or another.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2021, 03:27:07 PM »
It’s funny you mention that because I always remember hearing that Dominique was very overrated.

Never saw him play in his prime so couldn’t give an opinion one way or another.

I was a kid in his prime but he was not just a freak athlete.   He was a career 24.8 ppg scorer.  I'm looking at some of these names and I have a hard time believing there were 50 guys better when the list came out.   I'm not sure he played with a bone fire all-star so I wouldn't call him overrated.

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2021, 03:29:44 PM »
Dominique was a very good player.  Excelled on the offensive end of the floor.  Rather indifferent on the defensive end.  He was only All NBA first team once in his career, but was four times on the second team and two times on the third. 

Which is nice!  Solid and occasionally spectacular career.  But not top 75 all time.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2021, 03:32:25 PM »
Dominique was a very good player.  Excelled on the offensive end of the floor.  Rather indifferent on the defensive end.  He was only All NBA first team once in his career, but was four times on the second team and two times on the third. 

Which is nice!  Solid and occasionally spectacular career.  But not top 75 all time.

Did George Gervin play defense?  I'm not an expert but a lot of people disagree with you about Dominique, especially "not top 75".

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2021, 03:41:21 PM »
I only saw Gervin at the end of his career, but I think he was a better player than Dominique.

That being said, if Dominique gets into the top 75, I wouldn't be outraged or anything.  (Unless he gets in and Giannis doesn't.)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 03:42:54 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2021, 03:45:56 PM »
I only saw Gervin at the end of his career, but I think he was a better player than Dominique.

That being said, if Dominique gets into the top 75, I wouldn't be outraged or anything.  (Unless he gets in and Giannis doesn't.)

I think the Iceman was more diverse as an offensive player than ‘Nique and that’s saying something since Wilkins was such an offensive force.  Wilkins was stuck on a team in an era where the Celtics transitioned into the Pistons into the Bulls.  The Hawks were good but they couldn’t beat any of those teams and he got lost in the flotsam.  I say this as someone that was a big Wilkins fan in that era. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2021, 03:51:35 PM »
Looking at the young guys got me thinking about who was young the last time around but made it:

• Shaquille O'Neal: In 1996, Shaq had just four professional seasons under his belt. He had a ROY, was a two-time Third Team All-NBA, and a scoring title. He had also won the USA Basketball Male Athlete of the Year.
  • David Robinson: He had completed seven seasons, including an MVP, ROY, 4 times on the All-NBA First Team, 6 times on the first or second All-Defensive team (with a DPOY), and had led the league in scoring, blocks, and rebounds in single seasons (all in different years).
  • Scottie Pippen: He had nine seasons in, the only other player with less than a decade, but it included 4 NBA titles, 3 First Team All-NBA, and 5 First Team All-Defensive team. He was also the reigning USA Basketball Male Athlete of the Year.
Looking at that, I think Kawhi (10 seasons), Davis (9 season), and Giannis (8 seasons) are in very good shape. What will be interesting is if they try to fit any younger players on the list. I'm not sure he's done enough, but Luka Doncic with a ROY, two-time First Team All-NBA, and coming off the EuroLeague MVP when he got here might be a surprise inclusion.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2021, 03:57:00 PM »

Oh...I was thinking top 75 when the original list was made.  My guess is he won't make the 75 anniversary team.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2021, 03:58:28 PM »

My initial reaction upon reading this was that you had to be wrong because Dominique had to have been on the 50th anniversary team. But then I looked it up and I have to admit I'm pretty surprised.

Yes, he was one-dimensional, but so were offensive stars like Iceman, Pearl and Pistol.

No. 14 scorer in NBA history ... No. 32 offensive rebounder ... No. 33 in Value Over Replacement ... averaged 20+ for 11 straight seasons.

Plus, he was the "Human Highlight Reel" -- in many respects the frontcourt version of Pete Maravich, who also didn't care a lick about D and whose career numbers weren't as good as Nique's. And I loved watching Pistol Pete play.