[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA 75th Anniversary Team  (Read 6558 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: NBA 75th Anniversary Team
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2021, 03:59:28 PM »
Oh...I was thinking top 75 when the original list was made.  My guess is he won't make the 75 anniversary team.

The original list was top 50 on the NBA's 50th anniversary.  This year will be top 75.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2021, 04:13:15 PM »
Dominique was a very good player.  Excelled on the offensive end of the floor.  Rather indifferent on the defensive end.  He was only All NBA first team once in his career, but was four times on the second team and two times on the third. 

Which is nice!  Solid and occasionally spectacular career.  But not top 75 all time.

I disagree. He was 2nd & 3rd team to some of the greatest forwards in NBA history.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2021, 12:10:17 PM »
Marc Stein went through a similar exercise- https://marcstein.substack.com/p/the-nbas-top-75

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2021, 12:46:42 PM »
Marc Stein went through a similar exercise- https://marcstein.substack.com/p/the-nbas-top-75

Interesting that he lists Giannis as a lock in the top 75 (and I totally agree), and Dominique as a snub on the original top 50. Not too sure about the latter, but he is definitely worthy of discussion.

I don't see any way Giannis is out, given his 2 MVPs and Finals MVP. There were guys in the original top 50 with less hardware.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2021, 01:26:22 PM »
Folks can criticize Dominique all they want ... but there really should be no question that Dominique had a much better NBA career than Bill Walton.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2021, 01:34:51 PM »
Folks can criticize Dominique all they want ... but there really should be no question that Dominique had a much better NBA career than Bill Walton.

Why would anyone criticize him?  He's an outstanding human being by all accounts and had crazy elevation.   He also had tremendous power on his slams, reminiscent of me on my nerf hoop back in the day.  :)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 01:37:28 PM by MuggsyB »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2021, 07:28:44 PM »
Team announced: https://ca.nba.com/news/nba-75-team-list-players-75th-anniversary-season/6jov1u8vfe861lgnpqf55ct3f

Looking online, Dame seems to be the most controversial.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2021, 09:16:46 PM »
Team announced: https://ca.nba.com/news/nba-75-team-list-players-75th-anniversary-season/6jov1u8vfe861lgnpqf55ct3f

Looking online, Dame seems to be the most controversial.

Dame always seems to be controversial in the grand discussions because of a limited amount of success by the Blazers in the playoffs.  But his resume is STRONG.

At age 31...already top 50 in all time All-NBA appearances ahead of legends like Jerry Lucas, Clyde Drexler, and Tiny Archibald.  Tied with people like Walt Frazier, Jason Kidd, and Elvin Hayes.  Not that crazy to think he could add another 2-3 which would put him in rare air.

If he averages around 1900-2000 pts a season, like he has all of the last 5 years, in a few years he'll be a top 40 scorer with potential to be top 30 with some longevity.

He's a special player and an all time great.  Nobody has issues with Iverson's inclusion and short of some major injury, he's gonna probably surpass Iverson in some key metrics.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2021, 09:48:42 PM »
I'm a little surprised Tony Parker doesn't get more consideration.  The playoffs should be part of this discussion.  The guy was clutch and the 2nd best player on three of those Spurs titles.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2021, 10:38:38 PM »
Dominique, who absolutely should have been on the 50th team, is on the 75th team. So that's good. The other player from that era who didn't make 50 but did make 75 was Bob McAdoo.

I wouldn't have taken McAdoo over Tony Parker, Bernard King or Alex English, to name a few. Probably not over Dwight Howard, either.

Walton's on the all-time team again. Ridiculous. Rarely healthy, and the equivalent of 4-5 very good to great seasons in his career.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2021, 12:06:29 AM »
I'm a little surprised Tony Parker doesn't get more consideration.  The playoffs should be part of this discussion.  The guy was clutch and the 2nd best player on three of those Spurs titles.

Cause he’s an extremely good but not historically good player.  He was never the best PG in the NBA, he never even garnered a single All NBA first team.  Those Spur teams were great, but as you said he was never the man.  His best seasons were actually not on those great Spurs teams (outside of 2014).  His peak as an individual player was actually pretty short and not as a supernova.

Fantastic player any team would be lucky to have, but not a generational talent.  When you think of PGs over the last 20 years, you’d never take him over Nash, Paul, Curry, or Kidd…all of who had more NBA First Team nods than Parker had total NBA Second Team selections

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2021, 02:45:30 AM »
The Bernard King who played for Hubie Brown from '83-85 was as good a ball player as I've ever seen. That injury was unfortunate.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2021, 04:11:55 AM »
Cause he’s an extremely good but not historically good player.  He was never the best PG in the NBA, he never even garnered a single All NBA first team.  Those Spur teams were great, but as you said he was never the man.  His best seasons were actually not on those great Spurs teams (outside of 2014).  His peak as an individual player was actually pretty short and not as a supernova.

Fantastic player any team would be lucky to have, but not a generational talent.  When you think of PGs over the last 20 years, you’d never take him over Nash, Paul, Curry, or Kidd…all of who had more NBA First Team nods than Parker had total NBA Second Team selections

I get that argument, although I'm not sure I would only compare him to other PG's on this list.  The fact is he was the 2nd best player on three title teams.  I'm trying to think of another player on three championship teams who had that much of an impact but is not on this list. 

He had a lot to do with the Spurs being a semi dynasty and really good for like 15 years.  And I'll tell you something else:  there are a lot of guards on this list with better stats but none of them were/are better at  the most  important stat.  I'm not saying he was snubbed, but that winning should be taken into account.  He wasn't a role player on great teams.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 04:17:20 AM by MuggsyB »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2021, 04:25:13 AM »
Now that I think about it....what about Klay Thompson? 

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2021, 05:13:12 AM »
So the NBA is going to be naming 75 players to its 75th Anniversary team, 25 years after naming 50 to its 50th.  So who will those extra 25 names be?  How many who made the 50th will not make the 75th?

Here are my thoughts.  I have 14 obvious or near obvious candidates, 11 who are "in the conversation," and three who are pretty much shoo-ins but are younger in their careers.

Obvious: Lebron James, Dwyane Wade, Tim Duncan, Steph Curry, Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash, Allen Iverson, Kevin Garnett, Dirk Nowitzki, Kevin Durant

Near Obvious: Chris Paul, Jason Kidd, Paul Pierce, Reggie Miller

In the Conversation: Tony Parker, Alonzo Mourning, Pau Gasol, Manu Ginobili, Ray Allen, Gary Payton, Tracy McGrady, James Harden, Russell Westbrook, Dikembe Mutombo, Vince Carter

Shoe Ins but Young: Giannis, Anthony Davis, Kawhi Leonard

Looks like there was 76 players due to a tie in the voting.

Everyone on the 50th list made the 75th.

The 14 obvious and near obvious all made it.  Ditto for the three young ones.  Then four from the "in the conversation" also made it (Allen, Payton, Harden, Westbrook).  And three who didn't make any of my lists in Rodman, Carmello and Lillard.

That's 24

Then you have McAdoo and Dominique who didn't make the 50 but made the 75.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2021, 07:21:10 AM »
If Iverson is top 75, then Lillard is a no brainer.  Iverson has 99 win shares in 14 seasons. Lillard already has 92 win shares in only 9 seasons.

Dame also has a 118 career O rating on 28.8% usage. That is almost exactly the same as Steph Curry's career numbers of 118/28.5%.

Dame is kind of underrated since he plays for a small market, west coast team that's never had an extended playoff run in his career.  But he's definitely legit and deserved to be included.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2021, 07:26:07 AM »
On another note, how crazy is it that the Thunder drafted 3 top 75 players in consecutive years despite never having the #1 overall pick.

Too bad the Thunder didn't keep that core together after the Finals appearance. But at the time of the trade, Harden wasn't quite what he is today. Still, one of the great what ifs in sports.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2021, 08:56:33 AM »
Looks like there was 76 players due to a tie in the voting.

Everyone on the 50th list made the 75th.

The 14 obvious and near obvious all made it.  Ditto for the three young ones.  Then four from the "in the conversation" also made it (Allen, Payton, Harden, Westbrook).  And three who didn't make any of my lists in Rodman, Carmello and Lillard.

That's 24

Then you have McAdoo and Dominique who didn't make the 50 but made the 75.

I thought Carmelo had a chance.

I like the inclusion of Rodman. One of the best rebounders ever, a great defender, an important player on 5 championship teams. Phil Jackson said Rodman ran the triangle better than anybody he ever coached and might have been the smartest player he ever coached. It's nice to see a non-scorer who was elite in other areas get recognized.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2021, 09:29:20 AM »
I like the inclusion of Rodman. One of the best rebounders ever, a great defender, an important player on 5 championship teams. Phil Jackson said Rodman ran the triangle better than anybody he ever coached and might have been the smartest player he ever coached. It's nice to see a non-scorer who was elite in other areas get recognized.

Agreed.  Anytime you're arguably the best of all time at one of the key basketball disciplines, which Rodman was, I think that is significant.  I mean 7 straight years leading the league in boards in the modern era is wild.  Plus his Defensive prowess.

Speaking of best, same for Melo.  There was a stretch where Melo was the best scorer on the planet.  Not the best player, but he was an absolute monster as a pure scorer.  Dude is top 10 all time in NBA scoring.  Everyone around him on that list is in the top 75.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2021, 09:39:53 AM »
Agreed.  Anytime you're arguably the best of all time at one of the key basketball disciplines, which Rodman was, I think that is significant.  I mean 7 straight years leading the league in boards in the modern era is wild.  Plus his Defensive prowess.

Speaking of best, same for Melo.  There was a stretch where Melo was the best scorer on the planet.  Not the best player, but he was an absolute monster as a pure scorer.  Dude is top 10 all time in NBA scoring.  Everyone around him on that list is in the top 75.

Wasn't there a stretch where Adrian Dantley, Alex English, and Bernard King were the best scorers?  I'm pretty iffy on the inclusion of Melo.  Do you really think he's a better player than say Klay Thompson for example?  Isn't defense part of the game?   While we're at it I'd take Thonpson over Allen or Miller. 

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2021, 09:49:49 AM »
Wasn't there a stretch where Adrian Dantley, Alex English, and Bernard King were the best scorers?  I'm pretty iffy on the inclusion of Melo.  Do you really think he's a better player than say Klay Thompson for example?  Isn't defense part of the game?   While we're at it I'd take Thonpson over Allen or Miller. 

Reggie Miller?  That’s insane.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2021, 09:59:56 AM »

No, they were in the league with Larry Bird and George Gervin.  They scored lots of points, but that doesn't mean they were the best scorers on the planet at any given time.

I love Klay.  I think he's absolutely a better pure shooter than Melo and his defensive is underrated.  But peak Melo could kill you in so many ways.  We've never seen Klay on his own needing to break guys down or do it on his own.  Peak Melo is 1000% a better scorer than Klay, dude was an absolute iso nightmare.

I also think you are doing a great disservice to Ray Allen.  You're thinking late stage corner sniper Ray Allen.  Not early career Ray who could bury a million 3s but also blow by you and attack the rim.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2021, 10:05:07 AM »
JWags and Fluffy:  Is defense part of the game?  Do you realize that Klay Thompson is a way better defender than both Miller and Allen.  It's not close.  How on earth is it "crazy" to think he's better than these guys?  This is a dude who dropped 37 in a quarter.  He's always had to play 2nd fiddle to Steph but he's a tremendous, tremendous, player, and unselfish.  I think both of you are wrong. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2021, 10:08:27 AM »
I have no idea what George Gervin or Bird have to with Adrian Dantley.  You're saying he wasn't one of the best scorers?  I'm I reading his career stats incorrectly?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2021, 10:10:28 AM »
No, they were in the league with Larry Bird and George Gervin.  They scored lots of points, but that doesn't mean they were the best scorers on the planet at any given time.

I love Klay.  I think he's absolutely a better pure shooter than Melo and his defensive is underrated.  But peak Melo could kill you in so many ways.  We've never seen Klay on his own needing to break guys down or do it on his own.  Peak Melo is 1000% a better scorer than Klay, dude was an absolute iso nightmare.

I also think you are doing a great disservice to Ray Allen.  You're thinking late stage corner sniper Ray Allen.  Not early career Ray who could bury a million 3s but also blow by you and attack the rim.

And I think you're doing a disservice to Klay.