'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Oct. 1st Marquette Madness- Open to the public  (Read 19619 times)

HutchwasClutch

• All American
Re: Oct. 1st Marquette Madness- Open to the public
« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2021, 07:42:23 AM »
You can watch the whole event on MUTV channel on YouTube. Hopefully copy of this link works. 

Other than the upper level of The Al being very sparse, I don’t agree with all the hand wringing over it.  Players seemed to be relaxed and having fun, Shaka is infinitely more interesting and relaxed at an event like this.  Students there seemed into it, Jakubowski does a good job as emcee essentially. Then all the usual trimmings of these events that every school does. 

I get people saying it’s stale, that’s how it feels for me too.  But students and teams still look like they’re having fun at them, atmosphere seems genuinely enthusiastic.  The whole thing looked no different than our previous Madness nights other than upper levels being very light.

Maybe it would have been better attended by the general public were it not for the stupid mask requirement.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vGqdaY_oOWs
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 07:44:51 AM by HutchwasClutch »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2021, 07:44:42 AM »
Very depressing

At “ big time “ program would not run an event this poorly.  It’s grown stale.  They basically told the general public to go away a few years ago - dumb.  It’s also way too early on 10/1.  Apathy thanks to
Wojo. 

But ... also .... where is MU’s so called marketing department?  I think they do a consistently awful job of marketing the
BBall team.

I don’t think that’s the case. I just don’t think people are all that jazzed about going to watch a bunch of players they don’t know have a dunk contest. Especially on a beautiful Friday evening.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2021, 07:48:37 AM »
I don’t think that’s the case. I just don’t think people are all that jazzed about going to watch a bunch of players they don’t know have a dunk contest. Especially on a beautiful Friday evening.

Agree really warm October night for SE WI probably contributed to very light non student attendance.

That and Oct 1 is way too early to do this. 

And throw in masks required for good measure.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2021, 07:51:01 AM »
Was anyone from scoop there?  Did any of you want to go, would have gone if it was a week from now or two weeks from now?  Unless the answer is yes, your opinion doesn’t matter
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2021, 07:55:28 AM »
Agree really warm October night for SE WI probably contributed to very light non student attendance.

Warm night?  Scoop has scientifically determined that is GOOD for official visits.  So maybe this is a Scoop push for overal recruiting impact.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2021, 07:59:27 AM »

Good point on the masks.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #81 on: October 02, 2021, 08:05:49 AM »

In regards to your multiple comments on masks, you're an idiot.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #82 on: October 02, 2021, 08:06:47 AM »

Good point on the masks.

If people really didn't go because they'd have to wear a mask for a couple of hours, that's pathetic. As is complaining about it.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2021, 08:07:21 AM »
The only part I had genuine interest in is how in the world do you pronounce Iterje?! And hearing it is not going to stick for me. 

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #84 on: October 02, 2021, 08:12:10 AM »
In regards to your multiple comments on masks, you're an idiot.

Why do you come here? To show us what a hateful person you are if someone holds a position you don’t? That’s all I see when you comment.

McLintock

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #85 on: October 02, 2021, 08:20:53 AM »
Why do you come here? To show us what a hateful person you are if someone holds a position you don’t? That’s all I see when you comment.

Sorry hutch but you are clearly just a pathetic idiot because you disagree with the all knowing all seeing all wise VBMG.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #86 on: October 02, 2021, 08:22:32 AM »

Tolerance paradox look it up.

If people really didn't go because they'd have to wear a mask for a couple of hours, that's pathetic. As is complaining about it.

If I was in college I wouldn't want to be there for 3 hours in a mask smelling the shots of cheap vodka and keystone I put down before going to madness.
Maigh Eo for Sam

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #87 on: October 02, 2021, 08:35:51 AM »

Good point on the masks.
No it’s not a good point on the masks. Students must wear masks indoors in any building on campus. All of them. To believe that this was a deterrent to attending madness is ridiculous.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #88 on: October 02, 2021, 08:36:37 AM »
Tolerance paradox look it up.

If I was in college I wouldn't want to be there for 3 hours in a mask smelling the shots of cheap vodka and keystone I put down before going to madness.

No one *wants* to wear a mask.  We're all tired of it at this point.  It also doesn't sound like attendance from students was the issue.  The thing is wearing a mask really isn't that difficult and cumbersome, especially if it's related to something you're really into or interested in. 

The impact a mask requirement had last night is very likely immaterial.  And if it did have a big impact, that's just sad. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #89 on: October 02, 2021, 08:38:44 AM »

Pot meet kettle.  I certainly comment on basketball and recruiting.  I'm also exhausted by the abject stupidity and selfishness far too many people in this country have been displaying for the past 18+ months. 

Did they require proof of vaccination or a negative test last night?  If not, masks should be required.  If they did, I'm sure you would have whined about that. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #90 on: October 02, 2021, 08:39:54 AM »
Sorry hutch but you are clearly just a pathetic idiot because you disagree with the all knowing all seeing all wise VBMG.

You got the first part right, at least. 

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #91 on: October 02, 2021, 08:44:05 AM »
I love the scoopers who bitch about attendance at MUBB events…..and are the same ones who don’t renew their season tickets, pass on 5 packs, don’t go to any offered events themselves, etc.
If scoopers can go to MUBB events and chose not to (because that is your right!) then STFU.
Bitch and bitch and bitch that you want Wojo gone. Wojo’s gone…..you cancel your tickets….and now complain that ticket sales are down. If scoopers aren’t the first ones supporting this team….then quit your bitching because yes everything regarding MUBB will be less than your collective expectations.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #92 on: October 02, 2021, 08:57:15 AM »
I love the scoopers who bitch about attendance at MUBB events…..and are the same ones who don’t renew their season tickets, pass on 5 packs, don’t go to any offered events themselves, etc.
If scoopers can go to MUBB events and chose not to (because that is your right!) then STFU.
Bitch and bitch and bitch that you want Wojo gone. Wojo’s gone…..you cancel your tickets….and now complain that ticket sales are down. If scoopers aren’t the first ones supporting this team….then quit your bitching because yes everything regarding MUBB will be less than your collective expectations.

I agree with this analysis
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #93 on: October 02, 2021, 09:01:22 AM »
You can watch the whole event on MUTV channel on YouTube. Hopefully copy of this link works. 

Other than the upper level of The Al being very sparse, I don’t agree with all the hand wringing over it.  Players seemed to be relaxed and having fun, Shaka is infinitely more interesting and relaxed at an event like this.  Students there seemed into it, Jakubowski does a good job as emcee essentially. Then all the usual trimmings of these events that every school does. 

I get people saying it’s stale, that’s how it feels for me too.  But students and teams still look like they’re having fun at them, atmosphere seems genuinely enthusiastic.  The whole thing looked no different than our previous Madness nights other than upper levels being very light.

Maybe it would have been better attended by the general public were it not for the stupid mask requirement.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vGqdaY_oOWs
No, the organization of the event, the lack of flow and total randomness made it look like a grade school production. Attendance to me was not the main issue. Seemed like no one was in charge of organizing the event.
Goal is National Championship

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #94 on: October 02, 2021, 09:01:52 AM »
To believe that this was a deterrent to attending madness is ridiculous.

I don't think it's ridiculous. I'll put it this way, if I was lukewarm about attending something, having to wear a mask for 2-3 hours would probably would be enough to make me stay home.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #95 on: October 02, 2021, 09:03:13 AM »

Good point on the masks.
Why? There is a mask mandate on all MU buildings
Goal is National Championship

panda

• All American
« Reply #96 on: October 02, 2021, 09:06:48 AM »
Well looks like MUBB missed their marks on satisfying the ever elusive and important marketing group of men aged 40-60. I’m not sure how they’ll ever bounce back?!

GOO

• All American
« Reply #97 on: October 02, 2021, 09:30:15 AM »
I look forward to the video thanks for the links.

A few comments:
Crowd or lack there of, is likely many small factors that others have pointed out. It’s not one or two things, but a whole bunch:

1.  Covid, I never considered going and bringing a small group. I’d expect game attendance to be way down as well for games until the coming wave in the northern USA passes. Who wants to be around screaming and yelling people some of who will be sick. Especially at the buy games. 

2. Timing.  Should be later in October. It kind of snuck up this year and maybe less publicity of the event.  After some more media coverage of the team.

3. How about saying they will limit capacity and space out the crowd and have Covid mitigation measures in place like most events. All I read about is limited seating maybe or maybe not due to Covid. Didn’t really explain anything for us older people who want to avoid getting ill.  Maybe they don’t want us and that is fine. But that is a factor.

4. The event has become a stale. How about the outdoor event before like i think they had in the past. How about they Shut down the street in front of the Al and have food and bands and make it a fall party event.

5.  Friday’s are bad for most people.  Especially anyone that doesn’t live close.  How about Saturday.  Do I want to rush and drive into the city after work just for this event?  Not really.

6.  This event has always been long and disjointed. Dare I say boring. The MC from the one minute of video I saw was in jeans and a t-shirt. Seemed like he got pulled out of the audience at the last minute.  Hopefully that wasn’t the look for the night.  If it was, make an effort if this is supposed to be an event, please. Some marketing oversight is needed.

7.  Needs to be tightly run and the actual event kept short. It has been long and boring in the past. Not worth making a big effort to get into the city on a Friday night after work especially given Covid. The scales with Covid simply say avoid this event, not worth it  a Saturday and make an afternoon and evening of it and maybe the scales tip towards going.

8. Having students only for a time hurts attendance by non-students, I’m sure. But the event just needs to be better. Hire someone to run it, look what the game experience became when MU/Crean hired out the music etc.  give them the power to recreate this event.

I’m not a marketing guy so you all know better than I.  It I think it is a lot of smaller things that add up.  It the event itself has pretty much been lame for a long time.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #98 on: October 02, 2021, 09:32:22 AM »
Buying out a contract means the contract ceases to exist. He’s not coaching anywhere now because he’s not a desirable candidate.

Shaka’s premiere is on 11/9 at Fiserv. I don’t care about tonight.
Crean did not coach for the first year after he was fired from Indiana. I am not sure, but I thought he was prohibited from taking a new job for one year. I could see the same thing for Wojo.

Wojo did have an overall winning record at a power 6 school and ran a clean program. The only way he does not get a head coaching job is if he does not want to coach again.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #99 on: October 02, 2021, 09:34:09 AM »
Why? There is a mask mandate on all MU buildings
Heck, mask requirement. If I knew that would have made me more likely to go not less likely. Not that I would have gone, but more likely. Should have advertised that a bit more.