[Today at 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[Today at 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette No. 83 In New US News Ranking  (Read 43403 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Marquette No. 83 In New US News Ranking
« Reply #250 on: May 14, 2022, 03:36:58 PM »
Lots of MU kids in the Deer District who still have finals this coming week.  Scary.

Are you sure, or are you assuming?  I would think most kids aren't doing a lot of partying on the weekend before finals.
Have some patience, FFS.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #251 on: May 14, 2022, 05:29:17 PM »
Bump. Not a good look for Milwaukee last night.  Lots of MU kids in the Deer District who still have finals this coming week.  Scary.
Not a good look for Buffalo? The US os sick......
Goal is National Championship

Boston Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #252 on: May 14, 2022, 07:37:25 PM »

My experience is Marquette is far more dangerous than the 80s when I went there.

The simple answer is guns.

The guys I hung out with and I never saw a gun at Marquette. We saw vagrancy, begging, and sometimes aggressive behavior. Petty theft or vandalism.

I had 2 kids graduate at mu and they brought a group of kids that graduated in 19 and 20 for an event we hosted.

14 out of 20 saw gunfire or a gun.
Very specific incidents..
Wallgreen armed robbery
State gas station robbery 2x
Shoot out by wisn
Shoot out on state street by golf house
2 we’re robbed at gun point.
This in addition to all the stuff I saw.

All left a big impression on them.

Some of their parents are excluding Marquette from sibling choices.

It may be explained away as a small sample size but real to me and the young adults.

I would say I go to games and events but much more aware of the violence and interested if it can be turned around.

Maybe not scientific but real.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #253 on: May 14, 2022, 07:44:33 PM »
Huge problem with only rhetoric, thus far, for answers. The University has to get the fix right and quickly. Unfortunately, MU is not U of Chicago, Penn, Columbia, or Yale, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #254 on: May 14, 2022, 08:06:54 PM »
Are you sure, or are you assuming?  I would think most kids aren't doing a lot of partying on the weekend before finals.

Seriously?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #255 on: May 14, 2022, 08:17:54 PM »
'hole lotta shakin' goin' on, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #256 on: May 14, 2022, 08:32:59 PM »
My experience is Marquette is far more dangerous than the 80s when I went there.

The guys I hung out with and I never saw a gun at Marquette. We saw vagrancy, begging, and sometimes aggressive behavior. Petty theft or vandalism.

I had 2 kids graduate at mu and they brought a group of kids that graduated in 19 and 20 for an event we hosted.

Wallgreen armed robbery
Shoot out by wisn

It may be explained away as a small sample size but real to me and the young adults.

I would say I go to games and events but much more aware of the violence and interested if it can be turned around.

Hail 2nd amendment

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #257 on: May 14, 2022, 08:37:44 PM »
Huge problem with only rhetoric, thus far, for answers. The University has to get the fix right and quickly. Unfortunately, MU is not U of Chicago, Penn, Columbia, or Yale, aina?
Daughter went to college downtown Boston 10 yrs ago, was rated as a top 5 most dangerous campus for violent crime. Obviously because it was right in the middle of the city. Never worried, lived in Massachusetts knew it was just the same as any other US city.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #258 on: May 14, 2022, 08:39:02 PM »
'hole lotta shakin' goin' on, hey?
Has there been another stabbing killing in MU like when I was there? Early 80's just in case.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 09:57:00 PM by Newsdreams »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #259 on: May 14, 2022, 09:14:28 PM »
Son of Dahmer?   Or the beds are shaking because all of the under 21's had to stay in?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #260 on: May 14, 2022, 09:42:36 PM »

Wallgreen armed robbery
Shoot out by wisn

Someone was murdered a block from my apartment at 14th and Kilbourn when I was a student.

Difference is that it wasn’t plastered all over social media when it happened.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #261 on: May 14, 2022, 09:58:59 PM »
Son of Dahmer?   Or the beds are shaking because all of the under 21's had to stay in?
Dahmer was living like 5 houses away from my best friends while I was at MU, didn't know until he got caught, COLE.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #262 on: May 14, 2022, 10:03:35 PM »

Wallgreen armed robbery
Shoot out by wisn

I don't doubt that the proliferation of easy guns is adversely affecting the experience on campuses all across the United States.

Otherwise, I don't know about sample size or siblings or whatnot. What I do know is that, as reported in another thread, 2,027 freshmen have committed to Marquette, making it the largest incoming class in years. And that figure was as of May 1 - likely more commitments since. So it seems more parents than ever are letting their attend our alma mater.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Boston Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #263 on: May 14, 2022, 10:26:51 PM »
2027 students accepted is the largest accepted in years is just flat out wrong! Covid compares.

Acceptance rate is so high….to get that many acceptances…

Viper

• All American
« Reply #264 on: May 14, 2022, 10:32:10 PM »

Wallgreen armed robbery
Shoot out by wisn

Ok, Beto.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #265 on: May 14, 2022, 10:53:36 PM »
2027 students accepted is the largest accepted in years is just flat out wrong! Covid compares.

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=63362.0

2,027 committed by May 1, making it the largest incoming class in several years.

Increases in diversity and average SAT/ACT scores as well.

https://today.marquette.edu/2022/05/marquette-announces-successful-recruitment-year/?fbclid=IwAR3QQvfIIqGeTmvBaRu8RnT7LIYvsFPzAocqU6KgiQjTEgKfiZvTOws0wzc

Is 2019 to 2022 not "years" and "several years"? Acceptance rate has been high for years, a fact that has been discussed on Scoop many times (and bothers quite a few Scoopers).

None of this changes the fact that lots of parents are letting their kids apply to and eventually attend our alma mater.

Ring out ahoya!

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #266 on: May 15, 2022, 12:36:21 AM »

My son and 6 of his friends were there taking a break from studying.  He said he ran into more people.  Fortunately he left before the shooting started. 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 01:34:40 AM by Shooter McGavin »

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #267 on: May 15, 2022, 12:38:56 AM »
Also,  it’s not like I’m taking him out of school.  There really is no safe major city in the US.  Hit a little bit closer to home for me this time.  He was sending pictures to me of the fun the crowd was having before it started. 

• All American
« Reply #268 on: May 15, 2022, 05:24:23 AM »
https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=63362.0

2,027 committed by May 1, making it the largest incoming class in several years.

Increases in diversity and average SAT/ACT scores as well.

https://today.marquette.edu/2022/05/marquette-announces-successful-recruitment-year/?fbclid=IwAR3QQvfIIqGeTmvBaRu8RnT7LIYvsFPzAocqU6KgiQjTEgKfiZvTOws0wzc

Is 2019 to 2022 not "years" and "several years"? Acceptance rate has been high for years, a fact that has been discussed on Scoop many times (and bothers quite a few Scoopers).

None of this changes the fact that lots of parents are letting their kids apply to and eventually attend our alma mater.

Ring out ahoya!

Acceptance rates have grown at many places. The marketplace doesn’t really care.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #269 on: May 15, 2022, 08:42:14 AM »
My son and 6 of his friends were there taking a break from studying.  He said he ran into more people.  Fortunately he left before the shooting started.

Wow, Shooter ... thank goodness he and his friends are OK.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #270 on: May 15, 2022, 09:30:42 AM »

This is hardly a Marquette problem. This is a problem across the whole country, particularlly urban areas.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #271 on: May 15, 2022, 10:12:23 AM »
Wow, Shooter ... thank goodness he and his friends are OK.
Thanks 82.  They were all freshman and wanted to check out the excitement of the event.  No easy answers to this growing problem of gun violence.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #272 on: May 15, 2022, 11:45:39 AM »
This is not only a Marquette problem,  not only a Milwaukee problem, and not only an urban problem.  It is throughout our society.   

But people want to live in urban areas. Kids want to go to college in urban areas. Most opportunities for educated people is in urban areas. Older people seem to want to be in urban areas. Maybe 30 and 40 and some 50 somethings  with young kids want a lawn and cheap public schools that are decent and head to the suburbs. How many of them weekend in cities?

This isn’t changing anytime soon, Even with Covid. The trend towards urbanization that has gone on for 120 plus years seems like it will continue, despite early Covid reports that cities were dead.

I do know we are all really bad at assessing risk, so let me list a few things I’d be more worried about as a student. How many Marquette students have been murdered versus dying in one of the following ways. Mostly preventable, don’t overuse drugs and alcohol would save a lot more lives.

Many risks involve or are partially related to increased risk due to alcohol or drug use, so don’t do that any you’d eliminate a lot of risk. 

Off the top of my head and not including long term risks, like eating poorly or smoking, here are a few items that might be a lot bigger risks:

Being hit in a car by a wrong way driver while driving. Recency bias here, but seems to happen a lot on freeways. 

Being killed by a drunk driver or killing yourself while driving drunk.  If you ride a motorcycle, forget it.

Bicycle riding urban or rural. Road biking rural especially.

Owning a gun or having a gun in the house where you live.  We all Know the stats on who guns get used on, it isn’t strangers or persons commiting a crime. Think before bringing one into your home.

Slipping and falling.

Falling down stairs or off a balcony.

Fires.

Choke to death with our without alcohol. With drugs or excessive alcohol and late night eating definitely more risky.

Simply driving.  An inherently dangerous activity. We ignore how dangerous it is. Underreported it is so prevalent and daily.

Walking in Florida and getting hit by a car; or in MKE or wherever. Just Florida had areas that for some reason are significantly more dangerous.  We do have a lot of poor road planning.  I think Sweden is way out ahead and seeing this risk and working in it.

Drug poisoning legal.

Drug or alcohol poisoning legal and illegal. 

Suicide. Mental health issues leading to some of the above or by police involvement due to the above.  Obviously a real tragedy and risk for college students. Sad and preventable.

Less urban:  Guns, drunk driving, undivided highways, drugs, machinery operators, making meth  I know, tons more.

This is not to make light of the crime or shooting problem in all urban and and non-urban environments. And a situation that Marquette and others should be addressing. But we do lose perspective on what the real risks are of living. Where money is spent and where it would help the most is what matters. Beyond my knowledge. I just hope resources are used wisely. Working on the other issues and risks is still important.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #273 on: May 15, 2022, 01:51:29 PM »

Is that the actual number of incoming students who will attend this fall or the number Marquette accepted?

• All American
« Reply #274 on: May 15, 2022, 02:27:24 PM »
Is that the actual number of incoming students who will attend this fall or the number Marquette accepted?

Number who deposited. You don’t know for sure until the first day of classes but that number won’t change significantly.

The other issue is we don’t know what those students are paying. Did they increase scholarship $$$ to drive a larger class? Who knows…