'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by Viper
[Today at 07:44:25 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 07:39:53 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 07:13:08 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 07:13:05 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette No. 83 In New US News Ranking  (Read 43689 times)

swoopem

• All American
Re: #83 In US News & World Report
« Reply #200 on: March 25, 2022, 01:26:58 PM »
Was out to lunch (Conejito's*) yesterday with my wife ('99) and a buddy ('95).  Dahmer came up bc of Annie Schwartz's new book.  My buddy from '95 was FFP and got dropped off on campus the day before Dahmer story broke.  His parents were driving back east and called him in a panic from Youngstown.  He's like: Mom, I'm fine.

I work at 14th & St. Paul...I work out at the Rec Plex / Rec Center daily.  I'll hit up the MU Sendiks & other spots.  We went every MU WNIT game at night and parked on campus side streets.  I have a nephew at 14th + Kilbourn, a nanny on N 13th and a neice in Wild Commons plus several friends with kids on campus.  I'm pretty tuned into MU safety day and night.  This fear mongering about MU's "current" saftey situation by alums is really sad.

* As we walked out I was car jacked, my wife was mugged and my buddy was shot and killed.  Just another day in Milwaukee

Bring back FFP!!!!
Bring back FFP!!!

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: Marquette No. 83 In New US News Ranking
« Reply #201 on: March 25, 2022, 02:15:55 PM »
Is cancel culture now defined by the self-proclaimed tough guys as Someone Disagreed With Me and It Hurt My Fee Fees?  Because unless I am mistaken all your posts are still up and you have a whole new thread dedicated to your baseless fear mongering. What enormous snowflakes.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #202 on: March 25, 2022, 02:44:04 PM »
I'm not sure it is fear mongering, it is reality. the city of MKE is vastly more dangerous today than it was even ten years ago. From reckless driving, carjakings, etc.. only someone trying to be difficult could argue that point. Believe it or not, much of my family and friends are o the opposite of the aisle politically and the crime situation is one topic that 95% of us agree on.

Now, if you simply want to say that MU is not more dangerous than ten years ago, I think you are kidding yourself. I get a kick of folks on here debating what defines the campus geographically because it really does not matter. Over the past handful of months there have been multiple shootings in or nearby the Third Ward, which is frequented by MU students.

For those of you that live in MKE and think the city is safer, I think you have your head in the sand. I love MKE and want the best for it because I live in the area, work downtown and frequent downtown and Third Ward often socially, but I cannot even remotely say that there are not more moments of concern than a decade ago.

Honestly, I think there are non MKE folks jumping in on the discussion, MKE folks that are not being entirely truthful and the usual jags trying to rile stuff up. It is funny, TSmith talks a big game on here and I bet he is afraid of own shadow when in the big city. My gut tells me he would be Joey Hauser Jr. in a difficult situation.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #203 on: March 25, 2022, 02:44:50 PM »
Is cancel culture now defined by the self-proclaimed tough guys as Someone Disagreed With Me and It Hurt My Fee Fees?  Because unless I am mistaken all your posts are still up and you have a whole new thread dedicated to your baseless fear mongering. What enormous snowflakes.

How ironic as it’s your team are the ones who’s picture captivates and defines the neo snowflake
don't...don't don't don't don't

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #204 on: March 25, 2022, 03:24:56 PM »
I'm not sure it is fear mongering, it is reality. the city of MKE is vastly more dangerous today than it was even ten years ago. From reckless driving, carjakings, etc.. only someone trying to be difficult could argue that point. Believe it or not, much of my family and friends are o the opposite of the aisle politically and the crime situation is one topic that 95% of us agree on.

Now, if you simply want to say that MU is not more dangerous than ten years ago, I think you are kidding yourself. I get a kick of folks on here debating what defines the campus geographically because it really does not matter. Over the past handful of months there have been multiple shootings in or nearby the Third Ward, which is frequented by MU students.

For those of you that live in MKE and think the city is safer, I think you have your head in the sand. I love MKE and want the best for it because I live in the area, work downtown and frequent downtown and Third Ward often socially, but I cannot even remotely say that there are not more moments of concern than a decade ago.

Honestly, I think there are non MKE folks jumping in on the discussion, MKE folks that are not being entirely truthful and the usual jags trying to rile stuff up. It is funny, TSmith talks a big game on here and I bet he is afraid of own shadow when in the big city. My gut tells me he would be Joey Hauser Jr. in a difficult situation.

Things may be "more" dangerous but how is that affecting me?  How is that affecting students? It has done nothing to change any of my behaviors.  Perhaps the only change is I might look both ways driving through a green light in cdertain parts of the city.  That cop shooting on St. Paul?  That's 4 blocks from my office.  I was headed back to work that evening because we had event go long and I wanted to relieve some of my staff.  They texted and said: don't bother whole street is shut down.  The next morning? Life was back to normal and its been normal ever since.  Our nanny was locked down that same night.  She said she hasn't given it any thought since.  Honestly the only place where I hear of MU & crime is on here and I'm pretty in the mix with campus.  It reminds me of the Chicago is so dangerous talk...Michigan Ave is dying.  I was on Michigan Ave on a cold January Saturday and people were waiting in a 30 minute line to enter the flagship Starbucks there.  I said to my wife...where's the ghost town? 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #205 on: March 25, 2022, 03:40:59 PM »
I couldn't tell you the last time I felt uncomfortable, nervous, or unsafe in Milwaukee.

There have been awful drivers in all parts of Milwaukee and the surrounding areas since I was driving from Wauwatosa to Marquette High every day starting 17 years ago.  And I'm pretty confident in saying there was bad driving around before I was driving as well.

Sometimes we'd show up and there would be bullet holes in a window at MUHS.  Sometimes we'd hear gunshots while in school.  I survived.  So did all 5 of my brothers that went there.

The information is more available now.  That's what has changed.  The bad guys didn't just start to show up once Twitter came around.  They've been around.  You just hear about it now.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 03:46:40 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #206 on: March 25, 2022, 04:14:03 PM »
How ironic as it’s your team are the ones who’s picture captivates and defines the neo snowflake

"I know you are but what am I?" Brilliant comeback.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #207 on: March 25, 2022, 04:25:51 PM »
Well, BLM and Wades, I applaud your conviction on the topic. I will say, I sure hope the new mayor of MKE stops talking about the violence and extreme reckless driving because it must be throwing gas on my fear mongering. In addition, I hope the MKE police do not have excessive presence at Jazz on the park, if it returns this summer. I guess I am just a sucker that falls prey to the local media and politicians that beat the MKE has murder, carjacking and reckless driving issue.

The Lens- I think I have a general idea of where you live and I saw a woman in her mid 60's that was carjacked in her driveway in an area near you, or at least a comp area on your side of town. At 9am she backed her car out of the driveway and went to close her garage door and a 14 year old kid was in the drivers seat a minute later. I grew in a similar type neighborhood on the west side of MKE and that was not normal to be carjacked backing out of an expensive home in broad daylight. Does that not concern you at all?

As for how is "more dangerous" affecting you, you are a smart guy and I think you can figure it out. It takes one split second act by one person to change someone's life and it happens everyday in MKE. Honest, I find it funny that you two have this attitude because I feel badly and am concerned for EVERY person in MKE. You are right Lens, you probably are far from protected from serious crime than others in MKE.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #208 on: March 25, 2022, 04:38:03 PM »
The city is more dangerous than it has been. But I don't feel unsafe in it. I'm more scared of some of the drivers on Capitol than any violent crime affecting me.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #209 on: March 25, 2022, 04:41:53 PM »
MUfan

Driving is my biggest concern. I work next to The Pfister and a couple times a month there are close calls on Wisconsin Ave.. Call me a boomer, but I consider that a crime.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #210 on: March 25, 2022, 05:13:31 PM »
The city is more dangerous than it has been. But I don't feel unsafe in it. I'm more scared of some of the drivers on Capitol than any violent crime affecting me.

Same.

The Lens- I think I have a general idea of where you live and I saw a woman in her mid 60's that was carjacked in her driveway in an area near you, or at least a comp area on your side of town. At 9am she backed her car out of the driveway and went to close her garage door and a 14 year old kid was in the drivers seat a minute later. I grew in a similar type neighborhood on the west side of MKE and that was not normal to be carjacked backing out of an expensive home in broad daylight. Does that not concern you at all?

As for how is "more dangerous" affecting you, you are a smart guy and I think you can figure it out. It takes one split second act by one person to change someone's life and it happens everyday in MKE. Honest, I find it funny that you two have this attitude because I feel badly and am concerned for EVERY person in MKE. You are right Lens, you probably are far from protected from serious crime than others in MKE.

I don't have my head in the sand.   I get it and I am glad the mayors race is focusing on it.  But there seems to be a reveling (not by you bc I know you get out and about) by some about how American cities are violent cess pools and are dying.  I think Milwaukee is actually thriving and better than ever.  It has problems but it also has amazing people who fight everyday to make it better.  The fact of the matter is when I talk to people (mostly students / parents) on MU's campus, crime does not come up as a concern. 

Yes, I live in WFB and yes some violence has spilled into area.  Not great but that's been a reality in other parts of our city for decades.  It's too bad that an isolated incident in WFB causes people to act.   My constant trolling of the violence crowd is because they seem to say that behavors are changing because of the uptick and I think that's ridiculous.  I have to book dinner reservations 10-14 days out now.  Places are packed.  If you're avoiding Milwaukee bc of violence, I don't know what to tell you other than you're missing out.

MUfan

Driving is my biggest concern. I work next to The Pfister and a couple times a month there are close calls on Wisconsin Ave.. Call me a boomer, but I consider that a crime.

Agreed 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Goose

• All American
« Reply #211 on: March 25, 2022, 05:25:43 PM »
The Lens

I am out and about and not staying away from downtown, as you know. Agreed on getting reservations, it is not easy. It is my Mother in laws bday on Tuesday and struggled to get a table for three on a Tuesday night.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #212 on: March 25, 2022, 05:27:24 PM »
MUfan

My man, that is literally everywhere.  We built bad roads and super safe cars.  People think they're invincible in them.

But I promise you, Madison and the surrounding area is just as bad as MKE for bad drivers.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #213 on: March 25, 2022, 09:21:13 PM »
Not specific to Marquette or Milwaukee, but the NY Times had a brief article a few days back:

"The burst of weekend violence continues a trend that began almost two years ago, early in the Covid-19 pandemic, and shows no signs of easing, as my colleagues Tim Arango and Troy Closson report. Murders have risen more than 30 percent since 2019, recent data suggests. They are still far below the levels of the 1970s, ’80s and early ’90s but have reached the highest point in more than two decades.

“We can’t endure this anymore, we just simply can’t,” Dan Gelber, the mayor of Miami Beach, said after two shootings last weekend led the city to impose a midnight curfew.

What explains the crime wave? There is no fully satisfying answer, but experts point to several plausible partial explanations. They include: Social isolation and frustration caused by the pandemic. A sense of lawlessness stemming from police violence (like the murder of George Floyd). Police officers’ timidity in response to recent criticism of them. And a rise in gun sales during the pandemic.

Yet the crime wave seems both too broad and too distinctly American for any one of these factors to be a tidy explanation.

Gun crime isn’t the only kind of violent crime that is rising, for example. Nor are the crime increases limited to places where police brutality has been worst. As for the pandemic, if it were the only cause, you would expect crime to have surged in many countries. Instead, it has held fairly steady in Britain, Canada, France, Japan and elsewhere.

The closest thing that I have heard to a persuasive answer comes from history. Criminologists and historians who have studied past crime waves — like Gary LaFree, Richard Rosenfeld and Randolph Roth — point out that they often occur when people are feeling frustrated with society, government and their fellow citizens. This frustration can feed a breakdown in societal norms and a rise in what the sociologist Émile Durkheim called “anomie.”

Roth, looking at homicide rates in the U.S. and Western Europe over the past 400 years, argues that crime tends to increase if people lose trust in society’s institutions and basic fairness. When empathy for other citizens — or “fellow feeling,” as Roth and others call it — declines and anomie rises, crime also rises. The American crime increases of the 1960s and ’70s were a good example, criminologists say.

By many measures, Americans are feeling frustrated with their government, their economy and their fellow citizens. Nearly 80 percent are dissatisfied with the country’s direction, according to Gallup. People spend hours screaming at one another on social media. Many Americans consider people with opposing political ideas to be so wrong that they don’t deserve the right to express their views. Polls also show an alarming degree of skepticism about democracy and openness to political violence.

Along with these signs of alienation, a wide range of behavior has deteriorated. Alcohol abuse and drug overdoses have increased. Americans’ blood pressure is up, and measures of mental health are down. Vehicle crashes have surged.

In each of these cases, the pandemic seems to be playing a role: The trends either began or accelerated shortly after Covid overwhelmed daily life in the spring of 2020. But the pandemic appears to be only part of the story. This country’s recent dysfunction is bigger than Covid. It is a dark new form of American exceptionalism."

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #214 on: March 25, 2022, 09:25:26 PM »
I’ve pulled my kid from Marquette.  Thank you guys for the warning.  I didn’t know Milwaukee was a war zone. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #215 on: March 25, 2022, 09:28:32 PM »
I’ve pulled my kid from Marquette.  Thank you guys for the warning.  I didn’t know Milwaukee was a war zone. 

How were you able to extract him?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #216 on: March 25, 2022, 09:30:17 PM »
How were you able to extract him?

Helicopter

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #217 on: March 25, 2022, 09:58:26 PM »
Helicopter

So you're a Helicopter Parent, huh?

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #218 on: March 25, 2022, 10:29:41 PM »
So you're a Helicopter Parent, huh?

Ha!  I guess that would make me one. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #219 on: March 25, 2022, 11:45:01 PM »
My man, that is literally everywhere.  We built bad roads and super safe cars.  People think they're invincible in them.

But I promise you, Madison and the surrounding area is just as bad as MKE for bad drivers.

There’s nothing more dangerous than a 59 year-old woman in an oversized, late model SUV with her phone on her ear.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #220 on: March 26, 2022, 05:15:18 AM »
Now I understand . Its the cop's fault we have lawlessness. Silly me, I was worried society had gone to hell. Now I know its only a thing, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #221 on: March 26, 2022, 08:44:32 AM »
Now I understand . Its the cop's fault we have lawlessness. Silly me, I was worried society had gone to hell. Now I know its only a thing, aina?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #222 on: March 26, 2022, 10:07:58 AM »

Milwaukee is more dangerous, but I don't think the Marquette area is.

Stay with me here.

When I was at MU, a woman was sexually assaulted in her own dorm room by a rando off the street. Marquette didn't want to put in blue light phones because it was too expensive. It took the actual murder of a student to get that implemented. In general, crime on and around campus was accepted - by students, by the administration, and by public safety.

Fast forward to now. We have blue light phones. We have the safety shuttle. We have our own armed police forces that is in addition to the Milwaukee Police Department. Anyone on or around campus who follows common sense preventative safety measures is pretty darn safe.

But we also have helicopter parents, social media, and greatly increased expectations. If a kid had his apartment robbed in 1983, they didn't get much more than a "sucks to be you" comment, possibly along with "what did you expect, living in that neighborhood?" These days, a kid gets hassled by a homeless , calls their mom all upset, who posts on social media going "OMG WHAT IS MARQUETTE GOING TO DO ABOUT THIS!?!?
Have some patience, FFS.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #223 on: March 26, 2022, 10:23:34 AM »
Warriorchick

Much of your post is spot on, but the odds of a bad random event happening on or near MU campus is far greater than 5-10 years ago. I had two of my children at MU as recently as five years ago and I did not fear MU was in combat zone and still do not feel that. That said, random violent acts are getting closer and more frequent. I would send my kids there again (if on full ride) in a heartbeat, but that does not mean I think it is the safest campus in America.

I also do think defining the campus by streets is crazy. As I noted yesterday, there have been 3-4 shootings in the Third Ward area over the past half year and a couple in the middle of the day. I am in the Third Ward a great deal and seldom do I not see a ton of MU and UWM students. Plus, Water Street is seen more violent acts in the last year than I can ever remember. I consider Water St and Third Ward as an extension of the campus simply due to the number of students that frequent both areas.

There are folks on here that know far more about how MU brass feels about the safety issue, but I have a good friend in a pretty lofty position that told me crime/safety on campus is one MU's biggest concerns. Now, you can say every school feels that way, but not every school is not in urban environment, an urban environment where murders are up 100% over last year's record year. I am sure Carroll University wants a safe campus and their concerns on how to make a safe campus is different from MU.

Hey, I love MU being in an urban environment and have spent time on campus for 50+ years and will continue to do so. Since the hiring of Shaka, I have been on campus more times in past year than I was when my last two attended MU, so I am not hiding from anything. That said, I am more cautious on where I park or streets I drive to and from MU. Again, maybe that makes me a boomer and I am fine with that.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #224 on: March 26, 2022, 10:30:15 AM »
Milwaukee is more dangerous, but I don't think the Marquette area is.

Stay with me here.

When I was at MU, a woman was sexually assaulted in her own dorm room by a rando off the street. Marquette didn't want to put in blue light phones because it was too expensive. It took the actual murder of a student to get that implemented. In general, crime on and around campus was accepted - by students, by the administration, and by public safety.

Fast forward to now. We have blue light phones. We have the safety shuttle. We have our own armed police forces that is in addition to the Milwaukee Police Department. Anyone on or around campus who follows common sense preventative safety measures is pretty darn safe.

But we also have helicopter parents, social media, and greatly increased expectations. If a kid had his apartment robbed in 1983, they didn't get much more than a "sucks to be you" comment, possibly along with "what did you expect, living in that neighborhood?" These days, a kid gets hassled by a homeless , calls their mom all upset, who posts on social media going "OMG WHAT IS MARQUETTE GOING TO DO ABOUT THIS!?!?

Caca de Toro, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback