collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Sooooo.... Texas?  (Read 30722 times)

Lighthouse 84

• All American
Re: Sooooo.... Texas?
« Reply #175 on: September 04, 2021, 10:02:02 PM »
Yep. Republicans seek to undermine the very Constitution they pretend to care about, and brain dead followers like Lenny’s lap it up.
How do political comments and personal attacks like this not merit a ban?

Probably because when one moderator chooses to participate in what is obviously a political thread, this thread is allowed to continue and not be locked. 
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #176 on: September 04, 2021, 10:09:49 PM »

Probably because when one moderator chooses to participate in what is obviously a political thread, this thread is allowed to continue and not be locked. 

Keep crying.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #177 on: September 04, 2021, 10:12:51 PM »
Okay, iterating toward the most precise end point:

Dems seek to have, hold, and wield power but are comically inept at accomplishing any wielding of power when they stumble into having it.

GOP seeks to have, hold, and wield power, but since they have embraced the platonic form of machiavellian power expression, they manage to wield power even when they neither have nor hold it.

j

I agree with much of what you say.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #178 on: September 04, 2021, 10:21:54 PM »

Lighthouse

Ignore him. I asked (nicely) that he stop the stalking but he can’t quit me. Addiction is a horrible thing.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #179 on: September 04, 2021, 10:23:24 PM »

Pretty much.  We're tyrannical like that. -- That being said, no mod will look at a thread and say "oh, another mod is posting here, I won't lock it."   

Keeping in mind .. I supported the political board's existence ~7 years ago.  I like a good political conversation.   It didn't last a year before we realized it was impossible to keep a civil discourse going. 

Now?   The pandemic and the Covid board .. plus an election .. yeah, things are out of hand now.  We've gotten used to the coarseness.  We shouldn't, and yeah, this thread will get locked when one of the mod's head explodes.

tick tick tick

• All American
« Reply #180 on: September 04, 2021, 10:26:45 PM »
Nm
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 10:34:40 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #181 on: September 04, 2021, 10:31:13 PM »
Nm
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 10:34:59 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #182 on: September 04, 2021, 10:35:45 PM »

Keep in mind that Litehouse was the guy to post his opinion, call for the thread to be locked, and now whines about it. 🙄🙄🙄
I held off for six pages, marveling at how this thread went on different political rants, until I commented, and agreed with a couple of others it should be locked, purely because it’s politics, which are supposed to be banned. I don’t give a rats as$ if it’s not locked up because of politics. But either ban politics or open it up again.

Lenny, you’re right. I’ll ignore. Thanks

HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

• All American
« Reply #183 on: September 04, 2021, 10:38:40 PM »
I held off for six pages, marveling at how this thread went on different political rants, until I commented, and agreed with a couple of others it should be locked, purely because it’s politics, which are supposed to be banned. I don’t give a rats as$ if it’s not locked up because of politics. But either ban politics or open it up again.

Lenny, you’re right. I’ll ignore. Thanks

Weak on many levels. Not surprising.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #184 on: September 04, 2021, 10:39:33 PM »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #185 on: September 04, 2021, 11:06:32 PM »
Pretty much.  We're tyrannical like that. -- That being said, no mod will look at a thread and say "oh, another mod is posting here, I won't lock it."   

Keeping in mind .. I supported the political board's existence ~7 years ago.  I like a good political conversation.   It didn't last a year before we realized it was impossible to keep a civil discourse going. 

Now?   The pandemic and the Covid board .. plus an election .. yeah, things are out of hand now.  We've gotten used to the coarseness.  We shouldn't, and yeah, this thread will get locked when one of the mod's head explodes.

tick tick tick

Sounds like jockitch hacked your account,  bro.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #186 on: September 05, 2021, 12:26:49 AM »
I'm starting to come around to the thinking of some of you guys. A woman should have unfettered control of her own body. I am now pro choice.

If a woman decides she doesn't want a vaccination by sticking a needle in her arm, she should have every right to decline.

And if a woman doesn't want to put a mask over here mouth and nose, then that is her constitutional right.

No man should force a woman to get a shot or wear a mask.

Can I get a witness?

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #187 on: September 05, 2021, 07:20:54 AM »
I'm starting to come around to the thinking of some of you guys. A woman should have unfettered control of her own body. I am now pro choice.

If a woman decides she doesn't want a vaccination by sticking a needle in her arm, she should have every right to decline.

And if a woman doesn't want to put a mask over here mouth and nose, then that is her constitutional right.

Can I get a witness?
100% agree.

There are consequences to any choice a person makes though. If she refuses to get a shot there are certain aspects of society she won't be able to participate in (entering specific venues, etc.) same if she doesn't wear a mask (entering retail establishments, etc.). If she gets an abortion you can view her through whatever religious lens you wish to view her through with whatever religious consequences you believe will befall her and the man who impregnated her..........................All while being civil and acting within the law.

#accidentallyliberal

• All American
« Reply #188 on: September 05, 2021, 07:32:46 AM »

Can I get a witness?

You actually have hit on a problem that bothers me when it comes to the abortion debate.  Absolutes don't really work.  I for one don't believe that women should have complete unfettered control over their own body the entire time while pregnant.  IOW, at some point during pregnancy, society DOES have a compelling reason to protect the right of the fetus.  I mean, I think most people believe that women shouldn't be able to have an elective abortion the day before their due date right?

But I also really don't believe that life begins at conception.  It doesn't make sense to me on legal grounds, and that a woman DOES have the right to undertake an elective medical procedure at that point.

So IMO, the issue is where those two rights "cross paths."  And this is why at some point it comes down to a personal, moral choice rather than a societal, legal one.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #189 on: September 05, 2021, 08:08:35 AM »

You actually have hit on a problem that bothers me when it comes to the abortion debate.  Absolutes don't really work.  I for one don't believe that women should have complete unfettered control over their own body the entire time while pregnant.  IOW, at some point during pregnancy, society DOES have a compelling reason to protect the right of the fetus.  I mean, I think most people believe that women shouldn't be able to have an elective abortion the day before their due date right?

But I also really don't believe that life begins at conception.  It doesn't make sense to me on legal grounds, and that a woman DOES have the right to undertake an elective medical procedure at that point.

So IMO, the issue is where those two rights "cross paths."  And this is why at some point it comes down to a personal, moral choice rather than a societal, legal one.

Absolutes "don't work" is correct but we absolutely are never going to find agreement from either side of the abortion debate on when life begins.  There are other components to this discussion, as  well as individual circumstances, but essentially, for the vast majority of people,  this is the crux of the issue.  It's not really solvable frankly because very few people will deviate from their thinking on this critical question.

If abortion becomes illegal in certain states, whether it be Texas after 6 weeks or somewhere else, people will find a way to get their abortions.  This isn't a desirable outcome obviously and opens up a whole other set of problems.

• All American
« Reply #190 on: September 05, 2021, 08:13:15 AM »
Agree Muggs. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #191 on: September 05, 2021, 08:35:21 AM »

Can I get a witness?

I'm starting to come around to the thinking of some of you guys. A woman should have unfettered control of her own body. I am now pro-vaccine-choice.

If a woman decides she wants an abortion, she should have every right to one.

And if a woman wants that abortion later than some church or political party approves of, then that is her constitutional right.

No man should force a woman to keep a fetus against her will for at least the first 24 weeks of pregnancy, which is the Roe v Wade standard.

Can I get a witness?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #192 on: September 05, 2021, 08:49:10 AM »
Not sure why you picked 2 to 1.  It'd only need 50% to pass a referendum in CA, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Whether it's a simple majority or 2 to 1 doesn't really matter because, again, there's no way under current law for any state to leave.
Calexit could get 95 percent of the vote and it would be as legally binding as me declaring my home its own country.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #193 on: September 05, 2021, 08:49:58 AM »
Absolutes "don't work" is correct but we absolutely are never going to find agreement from either side of the abortion debate on when life begins.  There are other components to this discussion, as  well as individual circumstances, but essentially, for the vast majority of people,  this is the crux of the issue.  It's not really solvable frankly because very few people will deviate from their thinking on this critical question.

If abortion becomes illegal in certain states, whether it be Texas after 6 weeks or somewhere else, people will find a way to get their abortions.  This isn't a desirable outcome obviously and opens up a whole other set of problems.

The Clintonian phrase, "safe, legal but rare."  applies perfectly.
It is magical thinking that "if we make it illegal again, there will be no abortions ever!"  They will still happen, in the same numbers but dangerous.

• All American
« Reply #194 on: September 05, 2021, 08:53:42 AM »
Whether it's a simple majority or 2 to 1 doesn't really matter because, again, there's no way under current law for any state to leave.
Calexit could get 95 percent of the vote and it would be as legally binding as me declaring my home its own country.

The only way legally for it to happen is via a Constitutional amendment or convention. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #195 on: September 05, 2021, 08:57:59 AM »
I'm starting to come around to the thinking of some of you guys. A woman should have unfettered control of her own body. I am now pro-vaccine-choice.

If a woman decides she wants an abortion, she should have every right to one.

And if a woman wants that abortion later than some church or political party approves of, then that is her constitutional right.

No man should force a woman to keep a fetus against her will for at least the first 24 weeks of pregnancy, which is the Roe v Wade standard.

Can I get a witness?

I don't agree with your point that only women should have an opinion on the subject regardless of the particulars from every situation.  Because "it's their body" they should be able to do whatever they want?  What if a female (or male) teacher decides to tape bombs to their body and take out a kindergarten classroom? 

Half the country believes you are killing a life whether it be 6 weeks or 24 weeks.  Completely disregarding that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  But again, you can't legislate this issue or calibrate laws that will satisfy virulent pro-lifers or force people to take personal responsibility.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #196 on: September 05, 2021, 08:58:58 AM »
Ain't happenin' guys.

I expect to see Rs make one more final attempt at a coup. It will fail and the middle and soft right will reject them completely. Even their attempts to rig elections won't be enough to save them.

I agree.
I think we're in a transition phase.  Transitions of anything are always messy and confusing.  (See Afghanistan withdrawal as an example.)
The Republicans are trying everything and the kitchen sink to fight off the transition away from their decades of policy.  We're just witnessing the food fight prolonging the changes that will happen.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #197 on: September 05, 2021, 09:18:34 AM »
Me Gato esta enfermo en el bano

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #198 on: September 05, 2021, 09:39:31 AM »
Ain't happenin' guys.

I expect to see Rs make one more final attempt at a coup. It will fail and the middle and soft right will reject them completely. Even their attempts to rig elections won't be enough to save them.

I'm not sure what we've seen to make us think any of the centrists would risk their own comfort to take a virtuous stand.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #199 on: September 05, 2021, 09:52:17 AM »
I’m not questioning for a second that we needed to leave, but we could have gotten people out first, then equipment and then the military. We could have gotten out earlier before the Taliban took over most of the country. We could have done it at a different time than the busiest fighting season for the Taliban. We didn’t have to lose 13.  Hell, even CNN and MSNBC people have said this was a disaster. 

People were advised to leave starting months ago, but had we started clear evacuations, the Afghan government that lasted 11 days would've crumbled far sooner. Had we pulled out equipment or military, it would've crumbled.

All the Monday morning generals seem to think there was some secret recipe for success, but our last president was calling for this before he was even elected and yet in 4 years he never tried to get out until it was clear he would leave the disaster on someone else's watch. At least we're out now.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback