[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Our 5 yr plan?  (Read 12889 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Our 5 yr plan?
« on: August 22, 2021, 07:11:20 PM »
I'll keep my goals and opinions to myself on this one because I'll be accused of being irrational but what do you expect from MU Hoops through April 2026?   In other words:  NCAA appearances?  S16's or better? An F4?  Championship contenders?  Life is short and I will shrink at some point. I feel like we need to have a greater sense of urgency but I'll be happy to read what our experts have to say.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Our 5 yr plan?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 07:18:22 PM »
I'll keep my goals and opinions to myself on this one because I'll be accused of being irrational but what do you expect from MU Hoops through April 2026?   In other words:  NCAA appearances?  S16's or better? An F4?  Championship contenders?  Life is short and I will shrink at some point. I feel like we need to have a greater sense of urgency but I'll be happy to read what our experts have to say.
MU plays in a very competitive level conference . My expectation is our program would be consistently in the top 3 of the conference . If we can achieve that level of success over the next 5 years , the tournament success will follow .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2021, 07:24:57 PM »
MU plays in a very competitive level conference . My expectation is our program would be consistently in the top 3 of the conference . If we can achieve that level of success over the next 5 years , the tournament success will follow .

I think we're in the same ballpark.  I feel the switch needs to be turned quickly Herman.  I'm quite sick of mediocrity but am hopeful Shaka will turn this around.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 07:43:09 PM »
I don’t know an MU fan who isn’t.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2021, 09:03:07 PM »
I think Muggsy may have shattered Heisy's record for most threads started.
Have some patience, FFS.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2021, 09:47:58 PM »
Five years? 3 NCAA, 1 NIT. At least one trip to a Sweet 16.

Will be some real growing pains these next two seasons but then crap gets real in a hurry.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2021, 09:54:57 PM »
Five years? 3 NCAA, 1 NIT. At least one trip to a Sweet 16.

Will be some real growing pains these next two seasons but then crap gets real in a hurry.

Year 1: Top 40 in defense. Make NIT at least. Top half of Big East. Win the transfer market post-season.

Year 2: Top 40 in offense and defense. Top 3 in Big East. BET semis. Win one game in NCAA's

Year 3: Compete for a BE championship (1 or 2 in regular season or BET). Win 2 in NCAAs. Top hs recruiting class in conference to start reload.

Year 4 and 5: We are off.

Year 6: Replace Shaka.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 09:59:05 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2021, 10:53:30 PM »
1: Terrible record but you can see the pieces coming together and getting better as the season goes on
2: NIT, maybe sneak into the NCAAs
3: NCAAs, high enough seed that we are expected to win our first game
4: NCAAs, high enough seed that we are expected to make the Sweet 16
5: Step back from year 4 but still make the NCAAs
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2021, 11:41:29 PM »
Make the NCAA tournament 3 years and hopefully make a little run in one of those appearances. I think this next year will be fun to see a new product but results that aren’t anything special. Maybe around .500 or a little above? Guard play is going to be a big question mark.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2021, 07:02:36 AM »
Growth and foundation work first year.

Second year team bubble watch.

Third through 5th solidly in.

With one caveat.   Player movement is very fluid and we have no idea who will be on the team in two years.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2021, 07:33:17 AM »
1: Terrible record but you can see the pieces coming together and getting better as the season goes on
2: NIT, maybe sneak into the NCAAs
3: NCAAs, high enough seed that we are expected to win our first game
4: NCAAs, high enough seed that we are expected to make the Sweet 16
5: Step back from year 4 but still make the NCAAs

This is pretty low-barrish, no? It's only slightly better than what the previous coach did, and it will lead to calls for Shaka-Wojo-Dukiet-Raymonds-Hickey to be fired by Year 5 (if not earlier).

I'm gonna be a tiny bit more optimistic:

2 national titles, 4 FFs, and one off year where we lose in the Sweet 16.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2021, 07:42:33 AM »
This is pretty low-barrish, no? It's only slightly better than what the previous coach did, and it will lead to calls for Shaka-Wojo-Dukiet-Raymonds-Hickey to be fired by Year 5 (if not earlier).

No, it's significantly better than what Wojo did in his first five years.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2021, 07:57:24 AM »
National title all 5 years.  Anything less is mediocrity
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2021, 08:17:47 AM »
National title all 5 years.  Anything less is mediocrity failure

FIFY
Have some patience, FFS.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2021, 08:21:08 AM »
FIFY

Thanks.  Truthfully, success in 5 years should include a Big East title and one deep run in March.  The tournament is a crapshoot but a Big East title barring injuries is a pretty bare minimum goal
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2021, 09:29:19 AM »
nm
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 09:52:09 AM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2021, 09:39:53 AM »
Thanks.  Truthfully, success in 5 years should include a Big East title and one deep run in March.  The tournament is a crapshoot but a Big East title barring injuries is a pretty bare minimum goal

I mean I suppose a conference title should be the goal every year, but Marquette has a total of 3 conference championships in the program's history.  And they currently play in the same conference as what you could argue has been the best college basketball program of the past decade.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2021, 09:49:35 AM »
I mean I suppose a conference title should be the goal every year, but Marquette has a total of 3 conference championships in the program's history.  And they currently play in the same conference as what you could argue has been the best college basketball program of the past decade.

Yeah?  No disrespect, but this isn’t the old Big East.  Time to step up

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2021, 10:22:23 AM »
Yeah?  No disrespect, but this isn’t the old Big East.  Time to step up

We spent a total of 7 years in the old Big East.  Again, 3 total conference titles in program history.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2021, 11:12:32 AM »
Fire Shaka, we can't go on like this. Zero NCAA appearances. Cannot get out of the bottom half of the Big East. I thought Wojo was bad, but 5 more years of this I'm done.

I like 5 year plans.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2021, 11:46:57 AM »
I mean I suppose a conference title should be the goal every year, but Marquette has a total of 3 conference championships in the program's history. 

What does this even mean?  They were independent for over 2/3rds of the 'history'

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2021, 11:52:34 AM »
What does this even mean?  They were independent for over 2/3rds of the 'history'

It means they have 3 conference titles in the history of their program. Making a conference title in the next 5 years a “bare minimum” seems like setting yourself up to fail. Especially when Nova is at the level it is.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2021, 11:53:58 AM »

They have been a member of a conference for 33 seasons.  Three conference regular season titles and one conference tournament championship.  That's pretty anemic.

They have been to more sweet 16s (5) in the same timeframe. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2021, 12:42:00 PM »
It means they have 3 conference titles in the history of their program. Making a conference title in the next 5 years a “bare minimum” seems like setting yourself up to fail. Especially when Nova is at the level it is.

I worded that poorly.  I wouldn’t call it a failure but a disappointment

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2021, 01:17:52 PM »
I think the program will win and will a lot over the next 3 years, but obviously the approach needs to change.

The offense needs to be more than a)setting high ball screens for our superstar and allowing him to go 1 on 3 every possession or b) firing up 25 foot off balance jumpers as the shot clock expires.

And probably more important guys need to play  defense correctly-----keeping their backs straight; moving their feet; balance and positioning, etc.

Wojo seemed to teach, or favor the Linda Ronstadt defense, and you won't beat anyone that way.