[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More conference realignment talk  (Read 326940 times)

UWW2MU

• All American
Re: More conference realignment talk
« Reply #625 on: October 29, 2021, 11:26:23 AM »
I saw a news notification that UConn Football may be in discussion to be a football only member of C-USA as it tries to rebuild after schools left for the AAC.  Along with Liberty & New Mexico St.

This was quickly followed by denials that there was any real discussion and it was just an unsolicited proposal to talk.

source?

• All American
« Reply #626 on: October 30, 2021, 09:10:30 PM »
I saw a news notification that UConn Football may be in discussion to be a football only member of C-USA as it tries to rebuild after schools left for the AAC.  Along with Liberty & New Mexico St.

I don't know anything about the situation, but one of the reasons they claimed to want out of the AAC was the cost of travel to south-centric conference. It would seem a little weird to join another south-centric conference, but maybe the costs aren't so bad if it's just for football.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #627 on: November 01, 2021, 11:14:22 AM »
MACtion adding Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee State.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 11:24:38 AM by Pakuni »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #629 on: November 01, 2021, 12:13:57 PM »
RIP C-USA

Despite having $33 million in exit fees, I cannot see Liberty or UMass hopping on this sinking ship.  Even if New Mexico State joins, that means at least four FCS schools need to be called up. 

It's probably easier for UTEP and LA Tech to join the WAC and help that become elevated to FBS, with FIU joining the A-SUN and become an FBS independent.  All three programs are on an island, with limited options.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 01:01:03 PM by GoldenWarrior11 »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #630 on: November 01, 2021, 12:29:26 PM »
Since we came from there and it was torpedoed by the American, I always had a little soft spot for C-USA, even if it's been nothing like the conference we were once in when it was getting 4-6 NCAA bids with viable Final Four contenders on a yearly basis. This definitely seems to be the end. Can't imagine any way they come back from being down to just 3 programs.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #631 on: November 01, 2021, 01:05:42 PM »
Since we came from there and it was torpedoed by the American, I always had a little soft spot for C-USA, even if it's been nothing like the conference we were once in when it was getting 4-6 NCAA bids with viable Final Four contenders on a yearly basis. This definitely seems to be the end. Can't imagine any way they come back from being down to just 3 programs.

C-USA 1.0 was a very fun basketball league.  C-USA 2.0 is essentially what developed into AAC 1.0.  AAC 2.0 is C-USA 3.0. 

Ten years ago, C-USA was considered a step-up from the Sun Belt.  Today, the Sun Belt has overtaken C-USA, focusing on rural football-first programs, with the AAC targeting metro markets.  In time, I wouldn't be shocked to see the Sun Belt take a big step forward, especially if the AAC inevitably loses Memphis.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #632 on: November 01, 2021, 01:18:29 PM »
It feels pretty funny to see Memphis be the odd team left behind when we went to the Big East and now the odd team left behind as everyone flees the American. Maybe it's something about Memphis that makes everyone want to get away from them.

source?

• All American
« Reply #633 on: November 01, 2021, 01:30:23 PM »
It feels pretty funny to see Memphis be the odd team left behind when we went to the Big East and now the odd team left behind as everyone flees the American. Maybe it's something about Memphis that makes everyone want to get away from them.

It's essentially a less-successful, less-respected Louisville. Their academic brand is not great (barely in the top 250 national universities) and their athletics have a long history of scandals.

EDIT: After seeing who this post was by I'm thinking teal was intended?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #634 on: November 01, 2021, 01:33:47 PM »
If it happens it would be two natural additions . Good geography and similar type schools.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1454198599399641092?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1454198600704081923%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es2_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-536563943097761641.ampproject.net%2F2110152252002%2Fframe.html

Id agree on WKU, but MTSU isn't really.  6 hours from the closest MAC school in a totally different region.  NIU is kind of the outlier as is, but its still the Great Lakes.  MTSU is a Southern school in a Midwest conference.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #635 on: November 01, 2021, 01:37:02 PM »

It's essentially a less-successful, less-respected Louisville. Their academic brand is not great (barely in the top 250 national universities) and their athletics have a long history of scandals.

Memphis is in the best possible league  they can be now. The new AAC is geographically focused ,and Memphis should consistently be in the top two of the league in Football and probably top of the league in basketball. Having a top 25 football team and a basketball team that makes the tournament every year is not a bad thing.

Also because they are a lousy school academically , being in a conference with a number of more respected Universities is also positive .
            ---Al McGuire

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #636 on: November 01, 2021, 01:39:20 PM »
The two adds that would make the most sense for the BE are Gonzaga and Bradley. Of the two, Bradley probably offers the most upside:

- a dynamic Peoria market
- Brian Wardle
- Brian's red shoes

Case closed.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #637 on: November 01, 2021, 01:48:39 PM »
The two adds that would make the most sense for the BE are Gonzaga and Bradley. Of the two, Bradley probably offers the most upside:

- Brian Wardle
- Brian's red shoes

Case closed.

The team could stay here before games.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipMI4krXCF9PxQ-9gfLEuIWiNhSwHPpo8hvcVC2s=w414-h620-k-no

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #638 on: November 01, 2021, 01:49:01 PM »
So CUSA has three members remaining.  FIU, Louisiana Tech and UTEP.  No school has been screwed over by realignment more in the past 30 years than UTEP.  A WAC member that was passed over when the Mountain West expanded, and passed over a couple times more as the conference added more schools, only to have their current conference dissolve around them.

They may have to join NMSU as a football independent and WAC for other sports to save their FBS football.  Or hope and pray for continued Big 12 expansion that leaves the MWC with an opening.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #639 on: November 01, 2021, 01:54:17 PM »
Let's bring this one back to the upsides of the Peoria market...

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #640 on: November 01, 2021, 01:56:45 PM »

- Brian Wardle
- Brian's red shoes

Case closed.

I’d rather have Bradley than St. Louis
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #641 on: November 01, 2021, 02:08:03 PM »

I definitely get why they get left behind, but knowing how much money is pouring into their facilities with FedEx and all, it's amusing. Not so much teal, but more akin to the person who builds their home on the beach, watches it get blown away by a hurricane, and after rebuilding in the same place and losing it again cries "why does God keep taking my home away" kind of situations.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #642 on: November 01, 2021, 02:56:11 PM »
Bradley will have to change its mascot.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #643 on: November 01, 2021, 03:00:21 PM »
I’d rather have Bradley than St. Louis

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #644 on: November 01, 2021, 03:12:40 PM »
No school has been screwed over by realignment more in the past 30 years than UTEP.

Ah, UTEP. I still have a soft spot in my heart for the Miners. I was a senior in high school when Don Haskins led them (under their former name, Texas Western) to the National championship over Adolph Rupp and (at the time) lily white Kentucky. Dave Lattin, Willie Worsley, Orsten Artis and co. were the first team with 5 black starters to win the title (Loyola had 4 in 1963). The fact that they did it against the Baron made it that much sweeter.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #645 on: November 01, 2021, 09:04:44 PM »
Liberty, New Mexico State, Jacksonville State and Sam Houston State to C-USA.

That gets them to seven members. Still need an eighth (at least).  Missouri State would be my next guess.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #646 on: November 01, 2021, 09:30:38 PM »

That gets them to seven members. Still need an eighth (at least).  Missouri State would be my next guess.
https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/conference-usa-liberty-new-mexico-state-sam-houston-state-jacksonville-state-college-football-realignment
            ---Al McGuire

• All American
« Reply #647 on: November 02, 2021, 07:57:01 AM »

Wonder if another Texas FCS school will follow them - like Stephen F. Austin.  I also wonder if WKU and/or MTSU would find this a more attractive option than the MAC.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 07:58:36 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #648 on: November 02, 2021, 08:12:24 AM »
MAC has been stable for like 2 decades. If I was WKY or MTSU, that would be attractive to me
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

• All American
« Reply #649 on: November 02, 2021, 08:20:10 AM »
MAC has been stable for like 2 decades. If I was WKY or MTSU, that would be attractive to me

They're stable because no other conference wants them as members.  In a decade or so, it is entirely possible that schools like Jacksonville State and Sam Houston are going to be where the likes of Coastal Carolina, Louisiana and Appalachian State are now.  Given their geography and growth as schools, I think that is a greater possibility than casting their lots with a bunch of mid-level midwestern schools who have not done all that much.