[Today at 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[Today at 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2021-22 NBA Thread: The Bucks are Reigning Champs  (Read 180006 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: 2021-22 NBA Thread: The Bucks are Reigning Champs
« Reply #675 on: December 25, 2021, 06:54:23 PM »
Other than Tim Legler has ESPN ever had any studio host or analyst that was not  ether totally meh or atrocious?  I would consider giving every telecast to TNT and NBA TV.  I honestly think they're so awful that it could turn off viewers. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #676 on: December 25, 2021, 09:48:03 PM »
Muggs, they “give telecasts” to networks that give them $$$.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #677 on: December 25, 2021, 09:59:00 PM »
The LeBron/Westbrook relationship isn't going to last too much longer.  Although I'm not sure if any team would take Westbrook's contract.  It's amusing they would have been far better off with Paddy Mills and they could have gotten him and kept their three other starters.  Whooops.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #678 on: December 26, 2021, 01:34:00 PM »
The LeBron/Westbrook relationship isn't going to last too much longer.  Although I'm not sure if any team would take Westbrook's contract.  It's amusing they would have been far better off with Paddy Mills and they could have gotten him and kept their three other starters.  Whooops.

I'd be really interested in hearing the unvarnished justification for making that deal. It made no sense at the time, and obviously makes even less sense as each day goes by.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #679 on: December 26, 2021, 01:39:16 PM »
I'd be really interested in hearing the unvarnished justification for making that deal. It made no sense at the time, and obviously makes even less sense as each day goes by.

Lebron the GM has always been terrible.  He wants to get his buddies and stars without thinking for chemistry or fit, like he’s playing NBA2K.  The ones with the Lakers are especially bad.

Why Pelinka went forward with it, I have no clue other than probably pressure from Lebron and Rich Paul.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #680 on: December 26, 2021, 02:24:39 PM »
Lebron the GM has always been terrible.  He wants to get his buddies and stars without thinking for chemistry or fit, like he’s playing NBA2K.  The ones with the Lakers are especially bad.

Why Pelinka went forward with it, I have no clue other than probably pressure from Lebron and Rich Paul.

Makes sense.

Jordan had a similar failing for sure; fortunately for the Bulls, he wasn't given the same kind of power that LeBron apparently has. IIRC, Kobe did some GM-playing, as did Wade, pretty famously. Probably happened many more times with superstars that we don't know about. But yes, LeBron has been a disaster in this regard.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #681 on: December 26, 2021, 02:41:50 PM »
Makes sense.

Jordan had a similar failing for sure; fortunately for the Bulls, he wasn't given the same kind of power that LeBron apparently has. IIRC, Kobe did some GM-playing, as did Wade, pretty famously. Probably happened many more times with superstars that we don't know about. But yes, LeBron has been a disaster in this regard.

I think Giannis did this in milwaukee. It was  uncertain if he was going to sign an extension to stay in Milwaukee. Shortly after getting Holiday, he signed. I'm guessing he wanted a commitment from the Bucks to acquire better talent to give them a chance to win before he would sign.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #682 on: December 26, 2021, 03:10:22 PM »

It didn’t and it's hard to believe they pulled the trigger.  I think his defense may even big a bigger problem than his offense.  He's still a freak athletically so I don't really get why he defends so poorly? Regardless I'm not sure the guy is tradeable at this juncture.  The Lakers are in big trouble.  I can't see them finishing top 6.  You wonder if they have the stones to bring Russ off the bench and start Monk? 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #683 on: December 26, 2021, 03:19:53 PM »
I think Giannis did this in milwaukee. It was  uncertain if he was going to sign an extension to stay in Milwaukee. Shortly after getting Holiday, he signed. I'm guessing he wanted a commitment from the Bucks to acquire better talent to give them a chance to win before he would sign.

There is a difference between “get better talent” or get a second star, and “sign these guys”.  Lebron has been picking specific guys he wants to play with since his second run in Cleveland.  And it usually doesn’t turn out all that well.  AD is the notable exception and that was more Rich Paul than Lebron

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #684 on: December 26, 2021, 03:33:00 PM »
There is a difference between “get better talent” or get a second star, and “sign these guys”.  Lebron has been picking specific guys he wants to play with since his second run in Cleveland.  And it usually doesn’t turn out all that well.  AD is the notable exception and that was more Rich Paul than Lebron

JWags has a good point here.  I don't think Giannis and LeBron are really comparable as far as player involvement with personnel.   I didn't realize Giannis dropped 29 in the 2nd half yesterday after being out a few weeks?  People continue to underestimate how good this guy is, especially when you include his defensive prowess.  The Bucks in addition to the covid stuff may also be playing a little possum.  They absolutely could repeat.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #685 on: December 26, 2021, 04:56:56 PM »
JWags has a good point here.  I don't think Giannis and LeBron are really comparable as far as player involvement with personnel.   I didn't realize Giannis dropped 29 in the 2nd half yesterday after being out a few weeks?  People continue to underestimate how good this guy is, especially when you include his defensive prowess.  The Bucks in addition to the covid stuff may also be playing a little possum.  They absolutely could repeat.

You're right. They could repeat. Not playing possum, though - they have been pretty dominant when the Big 3 are all in the lineup.

Giannis may not have named the players he wanted the Bucks to sign, but he made it pretty clear that they needed to sign an All-Star caliber player or he would probably be gone. I believe he had more input/involvement than we thought. The Bucks had to run the Holiday trade through Giannis' camp. They wouldn't have pulled the trigger if he wasn't good with it.

So no, he didn't name a particular player and say 'get him or else', but he did say 'get me a star player.'

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #686 on: December 26, 2021, 05:18:43 PM »
You're right. They could repeat. Not playing possum, though - they have been pretty dominant when the Big 3 are all in the lineup.

Giannis may not have named the players he wanted the Bucks to sign, but he made it pretty clear that they needed to sign an All-Star caliber player or he would probably be gone. I believe he had more input/involvement than we thought. The Bucks had to run the Holiday trade through Giannis' camp. They wouldn't have pulled the trigger if he wasn't good with it.

So no, he didn't name a particular player and say 'get him or else', but he did say 'get me a star player.'

They may need Lopez and I'm not sure Middleton is near playing his best hoops.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2021, 05:48:30 PM by MuggsyB »

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #687 on: December 26, 2021, 05:24:40 PM »
I agree on both points.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #688 on: December 26, 2021, 08:09:04 PM »
The Bulls may be for real.  I haven't gotten to watch them all that much but their three main guys are way under the radar.  Have you seen DeRozan and Lavine's stats?  These guys are killing it. 
« Last Edit: December 26, 2021, 08:12:36 PM by MuggsyB »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #689 on: December 31, 2021, 05:38:45 PM »
The Bulls may be for real.  I haven't gotten to watch them all that much but their three main guys are way under the radar.  Have you seen DeRozan and Lavine's stats?  These guys are killing it.

I love that DeRozan is killing it this season. He's the anti-analytics guy -- a lousy 3-point shooter who doesn't even like shooting 'em. Instead, he finds his spots 15-20 feet from the hoop, and he kills opponents with the kind of mid-range jumpers that most players and teams avoid like the plague.

It's cool that a guy with his game is a legit MVP candidate as we near the midseason point.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #690 on: December 31, 2021, 06:15:11 PM »
I love that DeRozan is killing it this season. He's the anti-analytics guy -- a lousy 3-point shooter who doesn't even like shooting 'em. Instead, he finds his spots 15-20 feet from the hoop, and he kills opponents with the kind of mid-range jumpers that most players and teams avoid like the plague.

It's cool that a guy with his game is a legit MVP candidate as we near the midseason point.

Jimmy
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #691 on: December 31, 2021, 06:27:00 PM »

Nevada Smith talked about this on his interview with The Golden Breakdown. He mentioned how for some people, the mid-range is a good analytic shot if that's something they excel at. I appreciated that while they urge dunks and threes, he also acknowledges the importance of letting players play to their individual m strengths.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #692 on: December 31, 2021, 06:42:27 PM »

I'm warming on them as the biggest threat to the Bucks in the East, and that shot is part of the story. The Bucks dare you to shoot those shots, and we saw what happens when a player (Trae Young with his floater, Chris Paul with his shots from the elbow) can cause them trouble.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #693 on: December 31, 2021, 06:50:46 PM »
I’ll believe DeRozan is a scary player in the Playoffs when he does it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #694 on: December 31, 2021, 07:22:02 PM »
I’ll believe DeRozan is a scary player in the Playoffs when he does it.

He’s a better scorer in the playoffs than the regular season. I didn’t check the stats but it may be because the bench rotation is shorter in the playoffs.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #695 on: December 31, 2021, 07:23:51 PM »
I just checked and he plays about 3.5 minutes more per game in the playoffs.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #696 on: December 31, 2021, 08:42:24 PM »
I’m not worried about the Bulls…this year.  It’s Bucks or Nets.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #697 on: January 01, 2022, 03:30:28 AM »
I’m not worried about the Bulls…this year.  It’s Bucks or Nets.

I wouldn’t worry about the Nets so much either. That team is one more Kyrie Irving implosion away from being the Lakers.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #698 on: January 01, 2022, 03:57:15 PM »
I wouldn’t worry about the Nets so much either. That team is one more Kyrie Irving implosion away from being the Lakers.

Wouldn’t take it that far. I’m not sure they are a finals threat without Kyrie but they are a top 3 team in the east as long as Harden and KD are healthy

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #699 on: January 01, 2022, 04:04:21 PM »
Wouldn’t take it that far. I’m not sure they are a finals threat without Kyrie but they are a top 3 team in the east as long as Harden and KD are healthy

FIFY. The guy is an absolute cheat code.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter