Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[April 17, 2024, 11:14:56 PM]

Academic All Americans by AlumKCof93
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:57 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:37 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 07:24:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Plaque Lives Matter!
[April 17, 2024, 06:35:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 05:13:59 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2021-22 NBA Thread: The Bucks are Reigning Champs  (Read 178940 times)

CTWarrior

• All American
Re: 2021-22 NBA Thread: The Bucks are Reigning Champs
« Reply #575 on: November 17, 2021, 03:04:41 PM »
If he leaves, I would be sad.  But he's the best player in franchise history who brought a championship to a team I never thought would see another.  But it's his right to do so.

And it's still 3+ years away.
Uh, Kareem says hello.  He was at his zenith as a player with the Bucks.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #576 on: November 17, 2021, 04:44:02 PM »
I misread, my bad. I mixed up that paragraph with the paragraph immediately following it:

It's all good. My intent was crapposting that tweet to get a rise out of people so it was entirely possible I was wrong.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #577 on: November 17, 2021, 05:16:10 PM »

Yeah I guess. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #578 on: November 17, 2021, 06:40:26 PM »
Although I like honesty, I don't love it when an athlete publicly proclaims that he might bolt his current team several years down the line.

I'm not outraged by it; I don't "hate" Giannis for saying it. Just seemed unnecessary. Now I just hope he doesn't get angry the 1,845th time he's asked about it over the next 4 years ... because he's the one who made it something.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #579 on: November 17, 2021, 06:46:20 PM »
Although I like honesty, I don't love it when an athlete publicly proclaims that he might bolt his current team several years down the line.

I'm not outraged by it; I don't "hate" Giannis for saying it. Just seemed unnecessary. Now I just hope he doesn't get angry the 1,845th time he's asked about it over the next 4 years ... because he's the one who made it something.

It's the only negotiating leverage players have. I think they have to pull that lever in private, and pulling it in public gets the fans to put pressure on the owners.

I honestly took his comments as him planning on tackling non-basketball challenges in the future. He's got a big platform and could try to tackle big problems.

That being said, Giannis to the Heat in exchange for Gabe Vincent and KZ Okpala.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #580 on: November 17, 2021, 07:43:08 PM »
Giannis has 28 at the half.  12-13.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #581 on: November 17, 2021, 07:48:30 PM »
I honestly took his comments as him planning on tackling non-basketball challenges in the future. He's got a big platform and could try to tackle big problems.

I definitely did not take it that way.

It just seemed an unnecessary thing to say on his part.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #582 on: November 18, 2021, 07:08:35 AM »
LaMelo Ball and Miles Bridges are the Stockton-and-Malone of today's NBA.

Not as successful for anywhere near as many years, obviously, but definitely cooler. Ball-to-Bridges for alley-oop jams are featured on Sportscenter several times a week.

The Hornets aren't anywhere near great -- the recently went 0-fer on a West Coast trip -- but they have a couple of ascending stars, they have some good supporting players and they are very entertaining on offense. When they're on, they can beat anybody, as they just proved with consecutive wins over the Western and Eastern conference leaders. Fun team to watch.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #583 on: November 18, 2021, 07:22:37 AM »

Not as successful for anywhere near as many years, obviously, but definitely cooler. Ball-to-Bridges for alley-oop jams are featured on Sportscenter several times a week.

The Hornets aren't anywhere near great -- the recently went 0-fer on a West Coast trip -- but they have a couple of ascending stars, they have some good supporting players and they are very entertaining on offense. When they're on, they can beat anybody, as they just proved with consecutive wins over the Western and Eastern conference leaders. Fun team to watch.

It would be hard to find players more opposite of LaMelo Ball and Miles bridges than John Stockton and Karl Malone.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #584 on: November 18, 2021, 07:37:00 AM »
It would be hard to find players more opposite of LaMelo Ball and Miles bridges than John Stockton and Karl Malone.

Yes ... stylistically very different.

As I said, Melo and Miles are definitely cooler!

• All American
« Reply #585 on: November 18, 2021, 08:02:14 AM »

So Ball and Bridges are like Stockton and Malone....although not as good, haven't played as long, on a worse team, and I bet I could count on one hand the number of alley oops they were involved in.

Great comp
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 08:06:05 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #586 on: November 18, 2021, 08:11:12 AM »

So Ball and Bridges are like Stockton and Malone....although not as good, haven't played as long, on a worse team, and I bet I could count on one hand the number of alley oops they were involved in.

Great comp

Thanks!

They are the Hornets' version of Stockton-to-Malone. But more fun to watch. On account of Stockton and Malone being, like, 60 years old.

YaBlueIt

• Starter
« Reply #587 on: November 18, 2021, 02:01:19 PM »

By that logic, Kawhi Leonard is the greatest player in Raptors history.

Like it or not, Kareem will always be remembered by most as a Laker. Even if Giannis never surpasses Kareem in terms of pure talent or "zenith" (still yet to be determined), he is and will be the greatest Buck of all time, in part to his dedication to the team and city for the foreseeable prime of his career.

Heat fans will tell you Wade is the GOAT Heat player for the same reason.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #588 on: November 18, 2021, 02:06:19 PM »
By that logic, Kawhi Leonard is the greatest player in Raptors history.

Like it or not, Kareem will always be remembered by most as a Laker. Even if Giannis never surpasses Kareem in terms of pure talent or "zenith" (still yet to be determined), he is and will be the greatest Buck of all time, in part to his dedication to the team and city for the foreseeable prime of his career.

Heat fans will tell you Wade is the GOAT Heat player for the same reason.

Kawhi is the greatest player in Toronto history, and it's not even close considering people think the other option is Kyle Lowry.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

YaBlueIt

• Starter
« Reply #589 on: November 18, 2021, 02:09:25 PM »
I definitely did not take it that way.

It just seemed an unnecessary thing to say on his part.

Assuming he meant it from a basketball standpoint, if Giannis truly finds that winning championships in Milwaukee is no longer a challenge, I will gladly accept that timeline. If he wants a REAL challenge he can go join Sacramento or Minnesota after giving us 4 more rings.

YaBlueIt

• Starter
« Reply #590 on: November 18, 2021, 02:11:48 PM »
Kawhi is the greatest player in Toronto history, and it's not even close considering people think the other option is Kyle Lowry.

Not trying to argue semantics but I would say there is a difference between "greatest" and "best".

• All American
« Reply #591 on: November 18, 2021, 02:23:11 PM »
Not trying to argue semantics but I would say there is a difference between "greatest" and "best".

I was using them interchangably.

Kareem played six seasons in Milwaukee.  Not a short time by any means.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #592 on: November 18, 2021, 03:04:41 PM »
KAREEM:

In 467 regular-season games over 6 seasons with Milwaukee, he averaged 30.4 ppg, 15.1 rpg, 4.3 apg. Blocks didn't become an official stat until his 5th season, when he averaged 3.5. He shot .547 from the floor. In the playoffs, he averaged 29,7, 16.8, 4.0 while shooting .510. He led the Bucks to the 1971 title.

GIANNIS:

In 603 regular-season games over 8+ seasons with Milwaukee, he has averaged 21.1 ppg, 9.2 rpg, 4.5 apg, 1.3 bpg while shooting .531. In the playoffs, he averaged 25.9, 11.6, 4.9 while shooting .535. He led the Bucks to the 2021 title.

I'd give the statistical edge to Kareem at this point, but Giannis almost surely will eclipse Kareem as the best Buck ever. Not sure how anybody can look at the above today, though, and say Giannis has already done so.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #593 on: November 18, 2021, 03:57:18 PM »
KAREEM:

In 467 regular-season games over 6 seasons with Milwaukee, he averaged 30.4 ppg, 15.1 rpg, 4.3 apg. Blocks didn't become an official stat until his 5th season, when he averaged 3.5. He shot .547 from the floor. In the playoffs, he averaged 29,7, 16.8, 4.0 while shooting .510. He led the Bucks to the 1971 title.

GIANNIS:

In 603 regular-season games over 8+ seasons with Milwaukee, he has averaged 21.1 ppg, 9.2 rpg, 4.5 apg, 1.3 bpg while shooting .531. In the playoffs, he averaged 25.9, 11.6, 4.9 while shooting .535. He led the Bucks to the 2021 title.

I'd give the statistical edge to Kareem at this point, but Giannis almost surely will eclipse Kareem as the best Buck ever. Not sure how anybody can look at the above today, though, and say Giannis has already done so.

Agreed that Kareem is still the best Buck ever so far.  The one argument against looking just at the stats is that Kareem came in as a 22 year old who spent 4 years at college.  He averaged almost 30 points per game from the jump with the Bucks.  Giannis came in as an 18 year old coming to America for the first time ever.

If you look at Giannis's numbers from 22 years old through today, they're much closer to Kareem's than if you include those years.  But that's not perfect either, because Giannis had 3 years of NBA development at 22 years old while Kareem had only college development.

But yes, right now I'd say Kareem is the best Buck ever but as long as there isn't a serious injury in the near future for Giannis, he'll pass him up by the time his Bucks career is over.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #594 on: November 18, 2021, 03:59:57 PM »
KAREEM:

GIANNIS:

I would still rate Kareem as #1 in Milwaukee, as well.

But the stats are a bit misleading. Kareem came into the NBA as a fully ready superstar. GA came into the league as a project.

But even if you use GA's last 6 years to compare to Kareem, he still comes up short. That changes if GAS puts together a couple more injury-free years.

He will be the greatest Bucks player ever, but will not approach Kareem's total career. Abdul-Jabbar was a 6-time NBA MVP, a 19-time NBA All-Star, a 15-time All-NBA selection, and an 11-time NBA All-Defensive Team member. In the convo with MJ as the greatest player of all time.

BLM - you beat me by 2 minutes to say almost exactly the same thing. :)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #595 on: November 18, 2021, 09:56:23 PM »
Kareem also did not have the benefit of playing with 3 pointers during his time with the Bucks. It was much more of an inside game . Defenses were designed to try and stop Kareem but they couldn’t .

He faced a steady stream of Artis Gilmore , Bob Lanier , Willis Reed , Nate Thurmand , Dave Cowens etc and dominated everyone

« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 07:26:45 PM by Herman Cain »
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #596 on: November 18, 2021, 09:59:24 PM »
Kareem also did not have the benefit of playing with 3 pointers during his time with the Bucks. It was much more of an inside game . Defenses were designed to try and stop Kareem but they couldn’t .

He faced a steady stream of Artis Gilmore , Bob Lanier , Willis Reed , Nate Thurman , Dave Cowens etc and dominated everyone

Good points, 9-9-9.

LISTEN, KID! I've been hearing that crap ever since I was at UCLA. I'm out there busting my buns every night! Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes!

Also, Kareem probably had the single most unstoppable shot, the single most famous offensive weapon, in the history of basketball. That's a pretty cool distinction.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #597 on: November 18, 2021, 11:08:53 PM »
Curry had nine more threes tonight.  It's only his 38th time with nine or more in a game.  :)

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #598 on: November 18, 2021, 11:35:46 PM »
If Klay is Klay are the Warriors the favorites? 

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #599 on: November 19, 2021, 08:15:31 AM »
Kareem also played when there weren't so many dominant bigs to oppose him.

feedback