[Today at 12:58:23 PM]

NM by 4everwarriors
[Today at 10:37:41 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 10:15:40 AM]

MU all-time defensive team? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:44:45 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Olympics 2021  (Read 35490 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Olympics 2021
« Reply #275 on: August 07, 2021, 03:37:31 AM »
All of that angst seems amusing in retrospect.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #276 on: August 07, 2021, 06:57:40 AM »
The USA is fine just doing what they are doing.  A lot of the problem this year was an NBA season that ran longer. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #277 on: August 07, 2021, 07:08:14 AM »
The problem is the competitions are not frequent enough.  You have the Olympics and the FIBA World Cup.  Contrast with soccer and their permanent national team managers, you don't have a Gold Cup, a Confed Cup, lots of friendlies, long stage qualifying, etc...  And even the FIBA World Cup isn't a huge draw.  Look at the 2019 roster.

Nobody that could have an NBA or good NCAA job would want it.  You'd get a Larry Brown type at best.

It depends on how big you make the job. They could also coach the youth teams, that way you get the scheme imprint in early. Stevens is admittedly shooting for the moon, but I do think there are up and coming college coaches that would take it. And from a scheme perspective & adjusting to different rules, that might be best. Possibly a Grant McCasland or Mark Pope.

Alternately, you could look overseas for a coach. Maybe a Dan Fleming type with American roots but schooled in the European style.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #278 on: August 07, 2021, 07:12:06 AM »
It depends on how big you make the job. They could also coach the youth teams, that way you get the scheme imprint in early. Stevens is admittedly shooting for the moon, but I do think there are up and coming college coaches that would take it. And from a scheme perspective & adjusting to different rules, that might be best. Possibly a Grant McCasland or Mark Pope.

Alternately, you could look overseas for a coach. Maybe a Dan Fleming type with American roots but schooled in the European style.
eighties.

Wojo.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #279 on: August 07, 2021, 07:46:43 AM »
Unbelievable that woke Pop somehow won a gold medal

Tough day for “real” Americans
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #280 on: August 07, 2021, 08:09:48 AM »
4x400 Relay Gold. 3:16.85. 5th fastest ever.

McLaughlin 49:96
Felix 49:58
Muhammad 48:97
Mu 48:34

https://twitter.com/teamusa/status/1423995420355616769?s=21
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 08:22:14 AM by shoothoops »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #281 on: August 07, 2021, 09:06:38 AM »

Wow, forgot all about her.  She had one of the most unreal HS running careers ever.  Won the CC, 1600 and 3200 every one of her 4 years.  And most of them weren't close.  Then I'm pretty sure she swept the distance events again her last year at the gross school in South Bend.

I was surprised to hear that her first marathon ever was the US Olympic trials in 2020.  The Olympics was only her third marathon.  Incredible.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #282 on: August 07, 2021, 09:21:34 AM »
Unbelievable that woke Pop somehow won a gold medal
I await Hutch telling us how wrong he was.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #283 on: August 07, 2021, 09:24:55 AM »
Settle in.   It will be a while.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #284 on: August 07, 2021, 09:57:34 AM »
The USA is fine just doing what they are doing.  A lot of the problem this year was an NBA season that ran longer.

This. There's no reason to change anything. It's a basketball tournament, not WW3, and the U.S. won it again despite all the potshots some took at the coach and the athletes.

As long as the U.S. is gonna use NBA players, there is no way to have a true "national team." There are only a couple/few events that matter, and these guys are walking, talking corporations who aren't going to dedicate their lives to competing in them (nor should they). You can't throw a dozen multibazillionaire alpha dogs together for a couple weeks and wonder why they don't play like a well-oiled machine.

As long as they make the commitment, play hard and succeed in the end, what else do folks want from them?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #285 on: August 07, 2021, 10:11:41 AM »
I await Hutch telling us how wrong he was.

They overwhelmed the field with talent plus having Durant carried them.

I never said they wouldn’t win gold knowing they easily had the most talented team. Given their talent level to overcome any coaching, my comments should have been toned down.  Otherwise, I was pointing out how terrible and embarrassing their play was as it was happening as others here and all over did too. 

Btw, where were you supporting Pop and saying everything will be fine when things were bad?  What a man coming out of your hole on the topic after the fact and singling me out. 

But nice to know I’m living rent free.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #286 on: August 07, 2021, 10:12:56 AM »

I never said they wouldn’t win gold knowing they easily had the most talented team. Given their talent level to overcome any coaching, my comments should have been toned down.  Otherwise, I was pointing out how terrible and embarrassing their play was as it was happening as others here and all over did too. 

Btw, where were you supporting Pop and saying everything will be fine when things were bad?  What a man coming out of your hole on the topic after the fact and singling me out. 

Yeah, what does Gregg Popovich know about coaching.  Great coach, better human being

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #287 on: August 07, 2021, 10:13:45 AM »
Settle in.   It will be a while.

I’m right here Wojo lover. 

Where were you until now telling us everything would be just fine and dandy?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #288 on: August 07, 2021, 10:18:12 AM »
I had already said it.   

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #289 on: August 07, 2021, 10:26:06 AM »

Their talent level (Durant in particular) was able to overcome any coaching issues.  This is 100% accurate.  And the fact that this team lost to both France and Australia, with their talent disparity, despite FIBA officiating, is honestly beyond comprehension.  Take a look at the USA roster vs these teams?  All of us could roll the balls out and play iso Kevin.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #290 on: August 07, 2021, 10:27:22 AM »
Yeah, what does Gregg Popovich know about coaching.  Great coach, better human being

You know him personally?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #291 on: August 07, 2021, 10:43:22 AM »
You know him personally?

Yes, I sell him insurance

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #292 on: August 07, 2021, 11:07:38 AM »
Yes, I sell him insurance

Really?  Cool.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #293 on: August 07, 2021, 11:08:21 AM »
Their talent level (Durant in particular) was able to overcome any coaching issues.  This is 100% accurate.  And the fact that this team lost to both France and Australia, with their talent disparity, despite FIBA officiating, is honestly beyond comprehension.  Take a look at the USA roster vs these teams?  All of us could roll the balls out and play iso Kevin.

Goal: Gold medal.

Result: Accomplished.

Comportment: Professional, and seemingly proud to have represented America.

Mission accomplished. The rest is meaningless.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #294 on: August 07, 2021, 11:23:25 AM »
Goal: Gold medal.

Result: Accomplished.

Comportment: Professional, and seemingly proud to have represented America.

Mission accomplished. The rest is meaningless.

In the end it's ultimately about winning and losing but I wouldn't go so far and say everything else is meaningless.  Dominating is preferable and should be the goal imo.  The results should have been similar to a Blue Whale vs Krill if we're going to be honest.:)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #295 on: August 07, 2021, 11:40:29 AM »
The days of domination are over.   Too many good players in too many places.  Half of the team from France has NBA experience.    They sent their best.   The USA didn't.   International hoops is also different.   Ball movement resembled team handball.   So be it.

Going forward, i can see a scenario like the Ryder Cup in that less talented groups with more team spirit defeat a more talented team.

Who replaces Krause?  Who is the next coach?   Full time or side gig?  They don't get much better than K and Pop.   How much buy in from the top players?

The margin for error is diminishing.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #296 on: August 07, 2021, 11:47:03 AM »
The days of domination are over.   Too many good players in too many places.  Half of the team from France has NBA experience.    They sent their best.   The USA didn't.   International hoops is also different.   Ball movement resembled team handball.   So be it.

Going forward, i can see a scenario like the Ryder Cup in that less talented groups with more team spirit defeat a more talented team.

Who replaces Krause? f Who is the next coach?   Full time or side gig?  They don't get much better than K and Pop.   How much buy in from the top players?

Tower, are you saying the USA talent vs France isn't vastly superior?  I vehemently disagree if that's your take.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #297 on: August 07, 2021, 11:56:33 AM »

Who replaces Krause?  Who is the next coach?   Full time or side gig?  They don't get much better than K and Pop.   How much buy in from the top players?

Half the the team from France has NBA experience.  Our entire team were front line stars until they inexplicably added Keldon Johnson and McGee. 

USA talent still overwhelms what any other country can put together.  Is the disparity between US and the world as great as back in ‘92?  No. But US still has the vast majority of the world’s best, and what we don’t have is spread very thin among the rest of the world where no othe country except US can put a super group of NBA stars together and it still isn’t our 1A team. 

I’m tired of this myth that the world is so close to us now in men’s basketball. 

We were 75-1 under Coach K and hadn’t lost since 2006 until Pop came along and finished 7th in the 2019 World Cup, lost to the powerhouse Nigerian team, lost the Olympic opener, and had to grind out wins to get the gold.

Fix the coaching and we’ll be cruising again.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #298 on: August 07, 2021, 12:28:15 PM »
As we see time and time again, the team with the most talent doesn’t always win. Many international teams have been playing together for years. The US team plays together maybe in the All Star game and a short training camp with some continuity year to year.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #299 on: August 07, 2021, 12:36:06 PM »
As we see time and time again, the team with the most talent doesn’t always win. Many international teams have been playing together for years. The US team plays together maybe in the All Star game and a short training camp with some continuity year to year.

NBA All Star game counts as an actual basketball game? Who knew? (just having fun with your comment)

The depth and talent of US basketball should only require a short training camp together to roll the rest of the world.  Coach K proved that over 3 Olympic golds where the outcome was never seriously in doubt like this year.  We’re not playing the world all stars, it’s still just individual countries with many deficiencies to exploit. 

It would be nice to have core of 4-5 guys the next couple Olympics for some continuity, but not essential.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 12:47:01 PM by HutchwasClutch »

feedback