collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Olympics 2021  (Read 35187 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Olympics 2021
« Reply #300 on: August 07, 2021, 01:16:06 PM »
In the end it's ultimately about winning and losing but I wouldn't go so far and say everything else is meaningless.  Dominating is preferable and should be the goal imo.  The results should have been similar to a Blue Whale vs Krill if we're going to be honest.:)

One goal: Gold Medal.

Mission accomplished.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 01:17:38 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #301 on: August 07, 2021, 01:48:27 PM »
Not going to lie, Artistic Swimming may be one of the most impressive sports in the olympics.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #302 on: August 07, 2021, 02:07:22 PM »
Half the the team from France has NBA experience.  Our entire team were front line stars until they inexplicably added Keldon Johnson and McGee. 

USA talent still overwhelms what any other country can put together.  Is the disparity between US and the world as great as back in ‘92?  No. But US still has the vast majority of the world’s best, and what we don’t have is spread very thin among the rest of the world where no othe country except US can put a super group of NBA stars together and it still isn’t our 1A team. 

I’m tired of this myth that the world is so close to us now in men’s basketball. 

We were 75-1 under Coach K and hadn’t lost since 2006 until Pop came along and finished 7th in the 2019 World Cup, lost to the powerhouse Nigerian team, lost the Olympic opener, and had to grind out wins to get the gold.

Fix the coaching and we’ll be cruising again.

We know why you hate Pop, so there is no need to argue.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #303 on: August 07, 2021, 02:19:07 PM »
Pop did an outstanding coaching job to win the gold. This was certainly the weakest US team since the 1980s and it’s not even close. There was only one all-time Top 50 player on the US team. Only one player who was the clear cut star of an NBA team.

They flew over there with 8 players. 3 players arrived and played with the team for the 1st time in Tokyo.

People that think we should dominate every game know little about basketball. In fact, some have admitted they don’t even follow the NBA.

Teams around the world get better every year. That started because of the Dream Team making basketball a truly world sport. Yet we still won despite missing every NBA star but one. That is great coaching.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #304 on: August 07, 2021, 02:25:44 PM »
Greg Popovitch, Steve Kerr, Jay Wright. Yeah we need better coaching. Somebody who can come up with a scheme. And doesn't talk all that liberal smack.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #305 on: August 07, 2021, 02:40:14 PM »
We know why you hate Pop, so there is no need to argue.

We also know why all of you love Pop and wouldn’t dare criticize him and aren’t offering the slightest critique of anything about him.  Cuts both ways, doesn’t it? I’ve now admitted and been way more honest than you Pop lovers ever will about biases.

His own players on this team were grumbling about his coaching.  We all saw how Durant and all their talent had to win it in spite of what a lousy job he did.  No one will want him near USA Basketball again, that’s for sure.  He lost way more with NBA guys than anyone before him and it isn’t close.  So there is plenty of legit criticism and looking objectively isn’t there? 

But tell me more what a wonderful human being he is because he’s generally lock step with you on being a leftist. 

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #306 on: August 07, 2021, 02:52:52 PM »
We also know why all of you love Pop and wouldn’t dare criticize him and aren’t offering the slightest critique of anything about him.  Cuts both ways, doesn’t it? I’ve now admitted and been way more honest than you Pop lovers ever will about biases.

His own players on this team were grumbling about his coaching.  We all saw how Durant and all their talent had to win it in spite of what a lousy job he did.  No one will want him near USA Basketball again, that’s for sure.  He lost way more with NBA guys than anyone before him and it isn’t close.  So there is plenty of legit criticism and looking objectively isn’t there? 

But tell me more what a wonderful human being he is because he’s generally lock step with you on being a leftist.

I have criticized him before. I have also criticized Phil Jackson numerous times.

Far and away, the least talent on an Olympic team since 1988. Far less talented than 1984. And as I mentioned, the whole team never had one single practice together before the start of the games.

He lost one game with this team. So yeah, a lot more. ::)

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #307 on: August 07, 2021, 02:56:56 PM »
Pop did an outstanding coaching job to win the gold. This was certainly the weakest US team since the 1980s and it’s not even close. There was only one all-time Top 50 player on the US team. Only one player who was the clear cut star of an NBA team.

They flew over there with 8 players. 3 players arrived and played with the team for the 1st time in Tokyo.

People that think we should dominate every game know little about basketball. In fact, some have admitted they don’t even follow the NBA.

Teams around the world get better every year. That started because of the Dream Team making basketball a truly world sport. Yet we still won despite missing every NBA star but one. That is great coaching.

Jockey, with all due respect, your "only one clear cut star of his team" contention is pretty much nonsensical.  Even if that was true are you saying Pippen shouldn't have made Olympic teams or Penny Hardaway when he played with Shaq?  Are not Booker, Tatum, Lillard, Lavine, (Beal) with Durant all considered the best player on their team?  Weren't Middleton and Holiday the 2nd/3rd best player on a championship team?  Is Adebayo one of the best Centers in the league?  The idea that this was some mediocre collection of players is quite frankly ridiculous.  Would you rather have the "clear cut best player" on the NBA bottom feeders?  Please.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #308 on: August 07, 2021, 02:59:42 PM »
I have criticized him before. I have also criticized Phil Jackson numerous times.

Far and away, the least talent on an Olympic team since 1988. Far less talented than 1984. And as I mentioned, the whole team never had one single practice together before the start of the games.

He lost one game with this team. So yeah, a lot more. ::)

That’s right, ignore any losses you don’t like since it doesn’t help you.

This being a “far less” talented team than ‘84 is beyond idiotic.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #309 on: August 07, 2021, 03:17:08 PM »
I would argue the '96 team was better than the original Dream Team.  People forget that Bird could barely move and Magic hadn't played since his HIV diagnosis. 

Durant's performances saved us, period.  Let's also not forget Wade was by far the best player in "08 despite the slobbering over Kobe and LeBron. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #310 on: August 07, 2021, 03:23:33 PM »
Looking at the past rosters I would argue 2000, 2004, and 2016 has less talented teams. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #311 on: August 07, 2021, 03:56:17 PM »
84 was still college players.   

I have been a Popovich fan because he wins championships.   Other than the one when the Spurs beat the Pistons.  I had no idea about his politics until long after I was a fan of his coaching.

So, who is the next coach?   Kerr?  Jay?  Back to K in retirement with help from Roy?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #312 on: August 07, 2021, 04:07:38 PM »
His own players on this team were grumbling about his coaching. 

Link please.

HutchwasClutch

• All American

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #314 on: August 07, 2021, 04:18:25 PM »

So, who is the next coach?   Kerr?  Jay?  Back to K in retirement with help from Roy?

Jay would be a great choice I think and believe he could relate well with the players.  He’s one of America’s best. 

I like Brew’s idea of Stevens too.

Thibodeau and Spoelstra would be good choices too.

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #315 on: August 07, 2021, 04:19:58 PM »
That’s the best you can come up with? Some unsupported  statement by some guy named Joe Vardan. Which is criticised in your post by some guy named Dan Feldman.

Mugsy says the problem is that there was no “scheme“. Joe Vardan says the problem is that they were running the “San Antonio" scheme. Which is it?
I don’t suspect there was any grumbling after last night. I also suspect this is all about politics.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #316 on: August 07, 2021, 04:22:46 PM »
Jockey, with all due respect, your "only one clear cut star of his team" contention is pretty much nonsensical.  Even if that was true are you saying Pippen shouldn't have made Olympic teams or Penny Hardaway when he played with Shaq?  Are not Booker, Tatum, Lillard, Lavine, (Beal) with Durant all considered the best player on their team?  Weren't Middleton and Holiday the 2nd/3rd best player on a championship team?  Is Adebayo one of the best Centers in the league?  The idea that this was some mediocre collection of players is quite frankly ridiculous.  Would you rather have the "clear cut best player" on the NBA bottom feeders?  Please.

Durant is the only real star. Sorry, but I'm not one of those that call everyone a superstar. Yes, several very good players on this team. But Durant is the only one who will be a top 50 all-timer at the end of his career. Incidentally, Pippen is generally considered to be a top 25-35 all-timer.

Also, if you could refer me to where I said this was a "mediocre" collection of players, I would appreciate it.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #317 on: August 07, 2021, 04:24:21 PM »
That’s the best you can come up with? Some unsupported  statement by some guy named Joe Vardan. Which is criticised in your post by some guy named Dan Feldman.

Mugsy says the problem is that there was no “scheme“. Joe Vardan says the problem is that they were running the “San Antonio" scheme. Which is it?
I don’t suspect there was any grumbling after last night. I also suspect this is all about politics.

You’re making a fool of yourself, but keep going if you must.

As for your question, maybe ask Muggs since he said it and I didn’t. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #318 on: August 07, 2021, 04:30:14 PM »
84 was still college players.   

I have been a Popovich fan because he wins championships.   Other than the one when the Spurs beat the Pistons.  I had no idea about his politics until long after I was a fan of his coaching.

No one really had much of an idea about his politics until about 5 years ago.  He's a tremendous NBA coach but the International game is quite different.  We're all entitled to out opinion but I didn't think the competition was strong Tower.  Other than Doncic and Gobert the teams with NBA guys were not exactly stars. 

As for the next coach I'd probably go with Nate McMillan, Monty W, Wright, Few, Snyder, Beard, Lue,, etc. 

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #319 on: August 07, 2021, 04:31:28 PM »
You’re making a fool of yourself, but keep going if you must.

Eloquently put Robespierre. I always appreciate a good ad hominem.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #320 on: August 07, 2021, 04:31:39 PM »

I saw mostly iso ball.  What exactly was the scheme in your opinion?  Thx.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #321 on: August 07, 2021, 04:34:06 PM »
Looking at the past rosters I would argue 2000, 2004, and 2016 has less talented teams.

2000 had 3 guys considered top 50 all-time.

2004 had LeBron, Duncan, Iverson, Wade and Anthony. 2 top 10 all-timers. Anyone who doesn't realize how much better the talent was than this year shouldn't even be discussing this. Completely clueless.

2016 - Durant. Irving, Klay and (close to his prime) Carmelo each better than the 2nd best player this year.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #322 on: August 07, 2021, 04:37:29 PM »

Iso is the scheme. The whole point is to get your best player(s) one-on-one based on mismatches in the defense.

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #323 on: August 07, 2021, 04:38:23 PM »

Don't know anything about "schemes". I thought the USA was at a real disadvantage because of lack of muscle and size. This was shown by their need to foul Gubert every time he got the ball down low. I think they were out rebounded  almost every game. Also Lillard did not play up to expectations, and they did not have a true point guard until Holiday showed up.The difference between the way they played before and after the first France game was the difference between night and day.
I liked the way the coaches  substituted. I liked the way the team played defense, and for the most part I liked the way they hustled.
They had three of the greatest coaches in the history of basketball and I thought they coached to the back of their baseball cards.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #324 on: August 07, 2021, 04:43:35 PM »

2000 had 3 guys considered top 50 all-time.

2004 had LeBron, Duncan, Iverson, Wade and Anthony. 2 top 10 all-timers. Anyone who doesn't realize how much better the talent was than this year shouldn't even be discussing this. Completely clueless.

2016 - Durant. Irving, Klay and (close to his prime) Carmelo each better than the 2nd best player this year.

You have to take the level of these players in the context of where they were in their careers.  As for Duncan?  He was vastly different in the NBA vs the Olympics.  2004 Wade, Melo, and Lebron were 1st yr players.  If you don't think Lillard, Tatum, and Booker are or on there way to all-time great players I don't know what to say.