collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Olympics 2021  (Read 35507 times)

shoothoops

• All American
Re: Olympics 2021
« Reply #225 on: August 04, 2021, 07:32:33 AM »
That’s his wife but your point remains valid.

We really do take for granted the success of the US at the Olympics. My moms side of the family is Colombian, and every World Cup/Tour de France/Olympic event that a Colombian athlete has a chance at is national viewing.

Honestly quite refreshing.

The implication I was making is how important it was to Melissa, her husband, and their family. The links show David watching Melissa, as well as tells part of their story.

Not sure where you are located, but the owners of La Merenda/Engine Company Number 3 restaurants in Milwaukee are part Colombian. Good food, good people. Ask for Pete or Sonia. They’d be happy to talk all things Colombia. Pete is an MU alum, and he met his Colombian American wife Sonia in Atlanta (Decatur where his uncle owned a restaurant)

The good stories are not just about the American Athletes. And, by the way, the Track and Field has been electric. So good.

Anna Cockrell (USC) made the 400 Meter Hurdle Final. (Sydney McLaughlin, Dalilah Muhammad etc so good) Her brother Ross is a Cornerback of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Tampa Bay had a watch party for her as well. Anna was thrilled to make the Olympic team and the final.

https://twitter.com/buccaneers/status/1422198283355795463?s=21
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 01:41:00 PM by shoothoops »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #226 on: August 04, 2021, 08:01:14 AM »
That’s his wife but your point remains valid.

We really do take for granted the success of the US at the Olympics. My moms side of the family is Colombian, and every World Cup/Tour de France/Olympic event that a Colombian athlete has a chance at is national viewing.

Honestly quite refreshing.

I just don't think the Olympics are as important to the American public as they used to be.  Yeah they still draw good ratings, but I remember as a kid watchin the 1980 opening ceremonies live in my sixth grade classroom.  And the 1984 Olympics in LA were the first summer games in the US since the 30s and had huge numbers.  The SI preview was like a book.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #227 on: August 04, 2021, 08:03:11 AM »
And, by the way, the Track and Field has been electric. So good... Anna Cockrell (USC) made the 400 Meter Hurdle Final. (Sydney McLaughlin, Dalilah Muhammad etc so good)

That race was fantastic. Honestly, for me, it was one of the most memorable Olympic events in my lifetime.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

• All American
« Reply #228 on: August 04, 2021, 08:10:55 AM »

I just don't think the Olympics are as important to the American public as they used to be.  Yeah they still draw good ratings, but I remember as a kid watchin the 1980 opening ceremonies live in my sixth grade classroom.  And the 1984 Olympics in LA were the first summer games in the US since the 30s and had huge numbers.  The SI preview was like a book.

That being said, I think NBC will be showing a lot more live from Paris in three years, and LA in seven years will be huge. 

I also hope they will strip down their coverage too.  It is really over-produced.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #229 on: August 04, 2021, 08:19:36 AM »
Rice Lake, WI native Kenny Bednarek won the silver in the 200m.  Another American finished third for the bronze.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #230 on: August 04, 2021, 08:21:34 AM »
That race was fantastic. Honestly, for me, it was one of the most memorable Olympic events in my lifetime.

Yep, and that’s just the races themselves, which have been as good as it gets. You can do stories about Dalilah growing up in Jamaica/Bayside/Rochdale Village Queens, NYC, or Sydney in Dunellin/Scotch Plains/NJ or Anna in CA/NC.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #231 on: August 04, 2021, 08:39:23 AM »
Rice Lake, WI native Kenny Bednarek won the silver in the 200m.  Another American finished third for the bronze.

Is there something about Rice Lake that produces such great athletes in Olympic sports?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #232 on: August 04, 2021, 08:50:51 AM »
Is there something about Rice Lake that produces such great athletes in Olympic sports?

Well, Kung Fu Kenny is no Wally...
Have some patience, FFS.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #233 on: August 04, 2021, 12:42:09 PM »
Yep, and that’s just the races themselves, which have been as good as it gets. You can do stories about Dalilah growing up in Jamaica/Bayside/Rochdale Village Queens, NYC, or Sydney in Dunellin/Scotch Plains/NJ or Anna in CA/NC.

I was going to say, I love the McLaughlin family.  That huge family watch-in at her old high school was genuine.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #234 on: August 04, 2021, 02:00:16 PM »
I was going to say, I love the McLaughlin family.  That huge family watch-in at her old high school was genuine.

Yep. Just 21 years old, bridging gap with Delilah. Athing Mu winning Gold in the 800 meters with her south Sudanese family back in Trenton. Just 19 years old herself.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #235 on: August 04, 2021, 02:34:08 PM »
Athing Mu winning Gold in the 800 meters with her south Sudanese family back in Trenton. Just 19 years old herself.

Another extraordinary race. It was amazing how Mu ran that race and for a very brief moment -- probably at about 650 meters or so -- I wasn't sure she was going to pull it off. But she did. And what a fantastic finish by Raevyn Rogers to grab the bronze!

As you said, the track and field has been "electric."

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #236 on: August 04, 2021, 03:17:49 PM »
The Canadian Decathlete's first two events would have qualified him for the 100M Open semis, and the bronze medal in the long jump.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #237 on: August 04, 2021, 03:18:37 PM »
Another extraordinary race. It was amazing how Mu ran that race and for a very brief moment -- probably at about 650 meters or so -- I wasn't sure she was going to pull it off. But she did. And what a fantastic finish by Raevyn Rogers to grab the bronze!

Super aggressive to the front. 57 in first 400. Her older brother ran the half mile at Penn St.

As you said, the track and field has been "electric."

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #238 on: August 04, 2021, 04:26:45 PM »
I know the interview of wrestling gold medalist Tamyra Mensah-Stock is getting a lot of publicity because of her final comments about USA and the flag, but I loved the entire thing. Unbridled joy is compelling.

My favorite part:
"In your wildest imagination, did you think you would ever win an Olympic gold medal?"
"Yes! One-hundred percent yes! I knew I could do it. I knew it would be hard. I prayed that I could do it. In my wildest dreams I knew."

Runner up:
"Enjoy that gold...we'll see you out there on the podium..."
"Thank you. I'll try not to cry, but no promises."

She was a delight.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #239 on: August 04, 2021, 04:45:07 PM »
I know the interview of wrestling gold medalist Tamyra Mensah-Stock is getting a lot of publicity because of her final comments about USA and the flag, but I loved the entire thing. Unbridled joy is compelling.

My favorite part:
"In your wildest imagination, did you think you would ever win an Olympic gold medal?"
"Yes! One-hundred percent yes! I knew I could do it. I knew it would be hard. I prayed that I could do it. In my wildest dreams I knew."

Runner up:

She was a delight.

Thanks for posting that interview.

What an amazing, powerful, inspiring person. She will succeed big-time at life.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #240 on: August 04, 2021, 04:56:32 PM »
What an amazing, powerful, inspiring person. She will succeed big-time at life.

Agreed. To paraphrase her, I'm excited to see what she has next too.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #241 on: August 04, 2021, 06:19:33 PM »

My favorite part:

Runner up:

She was a delight.

She's awesome.  Best story of the entire Olympics.  Hopefully she picks up a few endorsements.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #242 on: August 04, 2021, 09:47:25 PM »
US doesn't qualify in the 4x100 relay with just an absolutely HORRID qualifying run. 

And the HEAVY fav and World Champion Holloway loses himself mid race and barely edges out Silver.

Rough day for US sprinters.  Good thing the throwers are holding it down.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 10:06:46 PM by JWags85 »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #243 on: August 04, 2021, 10:08:12 PM »
US doesn't qualify in the 4x100 relay with just an absolutely HORRID qualifying run.

That relay by the US was embarrassing, especially the botched handoff. It’s ridiculous the US can’t even qualify.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #244 on: August 04, 2021, 11:10:42 PM »
That relay by the US was embarrassing, especially the botched handoff. It’s ridiculous the US can’t even qualify.

They would probably be better off following the Chinese/Japanese model of having a designated relay team that always competes together at this one event rather than trying to make an all-star team. They again failed at the basic added skill of the event. I'd guess if you took our 7th-10th fastest in the individual event and spent 4 years making them a team, they'd end up on the podium instead of eliminated in a heat.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #245 on: August 04, 2021, 11:21:01 PM »

My favorite part:

Runner up:

She was a delight.

Hope she gets the Wheaties Box cover. A real joy.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #246 on: August 04, 2021, 11:51:47 PM »
Still a lot of time left, but brutal effort so far from Team USA on the hardwood. Careless turnovers, 0-8 from 3, missed wide open layups, not getting back on D.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #247 on: August 05, 2021, 12:25:46 AM »
I think my post helped motivate them.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #248 on: August 05, 2021, 11:31:24 AM »
Hope she gets the Wheaties Box cover. A real joy.

nope, too happy and positive for that honor.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #249 on: August 05, 2021, 11:37:11 AM »
I think my post helped motivate them.

Glad the gold medal game is at a manageable start time. Last night was brutal.

feedback