collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Used Car Market  (Read 11255 times)

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
Re: Used Car Market
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2021, 05:44:30 PM »
It’s brutal. Found a really nice 2020 Hyundai Ioniq the all electric one. Only 300 miles on it  but had a manufacturer buy back.

Despite the buy back, dealer wouldn’t come down a penny from the asking price. And honestly, I believed them when they said someone would buy it for that price.

Disappointed, really nice option if you’re looking for an electric and don’t wanna shell out for a Tesla.

I was looking at a WRX with a buyback. I think the car was only about $3000 below asking price for a non-buyback model. I made an offer and the dealer reduced the price by $250. I walked away. It's been over 3 weeks and that's been the dealer's only price reduction.

After thinking it over and doing a little research I decided not to go the buyback route. Too risky especially for such a minimal reduction.

WI_Inferiority_Complexes1

• Walk-On
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2021, 06:03:11 PM »
After thinking it over and doing a little research I decided not to go the buyback route. Too risky especially for such a minimal reduction.
I’ve sold a few vehicles as “pre-owned” vehicles which were buy-backs, including one vehicle that had a whole new head because the original was “porous,” to a friend of mine.

I let my friend now absolutely everything, and was able to give him a great deal and let him make the decision. He moved out-of-state, but as far as I know is driving the vehicle several years later.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 06:06:16 PM by WI_Inferiority_Complexes1 »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2021, 06:23:27 PM »
Has anyone ever used Turo before for a car rental?  The rates in Hawaii in Dec/Jan are freaking insane.

That is everywhere, not just Hawaii.  Car Rental companies sold off their cars during Covid, and they have no inventory.  Now mix that with a lack of cars everywhere and this is where we are.  Glad I bought in Sept of last year.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2021, 06:45:06 PM »
That is everywhere, not just Hawaii.  Car Rental companies sold off their cars during Covid, and they have no inventory.  Now mix that with a lack of cars everywhere and this is where we are.  Glad I bought in Sept of last year.

It's everywhere but not to this degree.  We're talking $200 a day min for a midsize car in Kona over Dec/Jan not including tax.   . 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2021, 07:44:05 PM »
It's everywhere but not to this degree.  We're talking $200 a day min for a midsize car in Kona over Dec/Jan not including tax.   .

We heard stories of $600/day in Maui when we were there in April.  It was less than $400/week when we booked our car in advance.  People were renting UHauls to get around the island.
Have some patience, FFS.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2021, 08:03:06 PM »
We heard stories of $600/day in Maui when we were there in April.  It was less than $400/week when we booked our car in advance.  People were renting UHauls to get around the island.

$400 a week is pretty normal....although Maui may be more than the Big Island.   I'm seeing $1400 a week pre-pay.  I shouldn't complain because I have free housing but I refuse to get robbed.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2021, 11:16:55 PM »
We're going to St. Croix this winter. I'm glad I booked our rental car way in advance. I thought $500 was outrageous, but that was before I heard about all these astronomical prices. Now I'm feeling like we got in relatively cheap.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2021, 11:30:37 PM »
We're going to St. Croix this winter. I'm glad I booked our rental car way in advance. I thought $500 was outrageous, but that was before I heard about all these astronomical prices. Now I'm feeling like we got in relatively cheap.

Have you been to the USVI before?  I was semi looking at St. Croix and also Turks and Caicos and then Covid hit.  St.  Croix looks much more reasonable than most of the Carribean and not particularly touristy but I dunno.  Maybe you can spot the next Timmy D and steer him to Marquette?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2021, 11:41:14 PM »
Have you been to the USVI before?  I was semi looking at St. Croix and also Turks and Caicos and then Covid hit.  St.  Croix looks much more reasonable than most of the Carribean and not particularly touristy but I dunno.  Maybe you can spot the next Timmy D and steer him to Marquette?

We've been to St. John and St. Thomas. Really loved St. John, and liked St. Thomas just fine. A friend convinced us to give St. Croix a try, so we'll see. I mean, it's gonna be sunny and 80+ every day in the middle of the winter, so that alone will make it great.

I'll keep my eye out for Tim Duncan Jr.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2021, 11:59:34 PM »
We've been to St. John and St. Thomas. Really loved St. John, and liked St. Thomas just fine. A friend convinced us to give St. Croix a try, so we'll see. I mean, it's gonna be sunny and 80+ every day in the middle of the winter, so that alone will make it great.

I'll keep my eye out for Tim Duncan Jr.

I saw a sweet airbandb/vrbo there with a private pool and basically your own beach.   It was pretty damn reasonable compared to other spots in the Carribean.  Ya....perfect weather there that time of year.  Maybe I'll look at Fiji at some point down the road.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 12:01:06 AM by MuggsyB »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2021, 06:52:18 AM »
We've been to St. John and St. Thomas. Really loved St. John, and liked St. Thomas just fine.
Agree with this, St. Thomas is fine but St. John nicer. Fortunately the ferry between the two is frequent and not too expensive ($50 roundtrip).

Rental cars were tough to come by, expect to pay ~$100/day but you'll need to book early--very early. Some people get around by taxi but it is really hard to explore that way.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2021, 09:14:54 AM »
I saw a sweet airbandb/vrbo there with a private pool and basically your own beach.   It was pretty damn reasonable compared to other spots in the Carribean.  Ya....perfect weather there that time of year.  Maybe I'll look at Fiji at some point down the road.

We got a beachfront condo with a pool for the entire complex. It's nice.

Rental cars were tough to come by, expect to pay ~$100/day but you'll need to book early--very early. Some people get around by taxi but it is really hard to explore that way.

We already got our car, thank goodness. When I heard that they drive on the "wrong side" of the road in St. Croix, I contemplated skipping the car and doing Uber for everything, but then I saw that they don't allow Uber/Lyft there and cabs are super-expensive ... plus one of the other people in our group is from England and knows how to drive with those rules, so we got the car.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2021, 01:58:12 PM »
We already got our car, thank goodness. When I heard that they drive on the "wrong side" of the road in St. Croix, I contemplated skipping the car and doing Uber for everything, but then I saw that they don't allow Uber/Lyft there and cabs are super-expensive ... plus one of the other people in our group is from England and knows how to drive with those rules, so we got the car.
Yeah, they drive on the other side, and they also use U.S. cars which have the steering well on the "normal" side, so as a driver you are basically driving from the ditch. However, because the roads are so narrow, it really wasn't an issue, we didn't feel like we were that far away from the center line.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2021, 02:24:05 PM »
Yeah, they drive on the other side, and they also use U.S. cars which have the steering well on the "normal" side, so as a driver you are basically driving from the ditch. However, because the roads are so narrow, it really wasn't an issue, we didn't feel like we were that far away from the center line.

Interesting. Glad I won't be doing the driving!

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2021, 04:40:21 PM »
I’ve done my own brakes for 25 years. 

Brake jobs are one of the biggest rip offs known to mankind.

God Love You Brother Chili.

If lived in Twin Cities or in Lake Nebagamon, I'd be at Brother Chili's Auto Repair faster than you could say, "caught any walleye lately!"

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2021, 04:45:40 PM »
God Love You Brother Chili.

If lived in Twin Cities or in Lake Nebagamon, I'd be at Brother Chili's Auto Repair faster than you could say, "caught any walleye lately!"

Come for the brake job, stay for the brisket.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2021, 04:50:33 PM »
Interesting. Glad I won't be doing the driving!

You will need to figure this out, and quickly.  Remember you have some recruiting to do.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2021, 05:01:06 PM »
Driving British is so easy.  The pedals are the same.  The gear shift is the same.  Just on the Right side of the road, which I guess would scare the crap out of some.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2021, 05:04:05 PM »
Driving British is so easy.  The pedals are the same.  The gear shift is the same.  Just on the Right side of the road, which I guess would scare the crap out of some.

Stick shift is on your left side.   :)
Have some patience, FFS.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2021, 05:19:54 PM »
Stick shift is on your left side.   :)

1-5 and reverse is the same.

What, you didn't have a car with the shifter in the door?

• All American
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2021, 05:46:50 PM »
I’ve sold a few vehicles as “pre-owned” vehicles which were buy-backs, including one vehicle that had a whole new head because the original was “porous,” to a friend of mine.

I let my friend now absolutely everything, and was able to give him a great deal and let him make the decision. He moved out-of-state, but as far as I know is driving the vehicle several years later.

If I could get details about WHY it was a buyback and what, if anything, was done to remediate it I'd consider it. Buying blind? No thanks.

• All American
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2021, 05:53:39 PM »

I drove St. Thomas several times. I just had my co-pilot remind me that right turns are the ones you have to worry about oncoming traffic. She did a very thorough job.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2021, 09:33:26 AM »
I have a 2010 Accord with 219K miles on it.  Is asking $30K too low?

My friend told me yesterday that he could sell his Audi that he bought used in the beginning of the year and make a profit on it.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2021, 10:06:04 AM »
Sleepy J now sez dat car prices ar back to pre-covid levels...lol, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2021, 01:10:03 PM »
My friend told me yesterday that he could sell his Audi that he bought used in the beginning of the year and make a profit on it.

But unless he plans to start walking everywhere, he'd have to buy another vehicle that is now higher-priced.
Have some patience, FFS.