Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: NCAA Might Lift All NIL Rules  (Read 24773 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: NCAA Might Lift All NIL Rules
« Reply #175 on: August 26, 2021, 10:56:55 PM »
If Bates has a deal with FedEx or anyone else, it also would violate Tennessee's NIL law, which states:
"Entities who support or benefit the institution or its athletic program may not compensate or cause compensation to be provided to a student-athlete or recruit if the compensation is contingent on the student-athlete’s enrollment or continued participation at an institution."
"An institution and its officers and employees may not be involved in the development, operation, or promotion of a current or prospective student-athlete’s NIL, including actions that compensate or cause compensation to be provided to student-athletes."

The law also states:
"Student-athletes obtaining NIL compensation must disclose any agreement and its terms to their institution and must file annual reports with the institution in a time and manner designated by the institution."

So, it would seem any deal Bates has would need to be disclosed to Memphis. And, as a public institution, that deal might be subject to Freedom of Information laws.
So, who's going to file the FOIA request?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #176 on: August 27, 2021, 07:52:53 AM »
Very on brand for Emmert to throw his hands up in the air and try to make someone else responsible for doing the NCAA's job.
Not apples to apples, of course, but has there every been a sports commissioner as inept as Emmert? He makes Bud and Manfred look like savants.

In general I agree with you.  But he isn't wrong here.  The big conferences hold so much money and power that the NCAA is basically powerless when it comes to significant enforcement these days.  And he knows that.

I just don't think people care all that much any more.  If players are getting paid to go somewhere, the general public's reaction has gone from "shame on them" to "good for them!"  Amateurism just isn't considered an important value any longer.  (IMO....good)  Like this Bates' deal with FedEx?  I just can't get all that upset about it.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #177 on: August 27, 2021, 07:53:51 AM »
Like I said, MU is in a world of hurt with NIL. Maybe da teem kould appear in a Skidoo commercial, aina?

Marquette will be fine.  95% of NIL money is going to go to the top players who Marquette wasn't landing anyway. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #178 on: August 27, 2021, 08:30:46 AM »
Dat's my point. Gonna bee reely hard four Shaka ta bring inn da top playas. Da rich will get richa, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #179 on: August 27, 2021, 08:33:36 AM »
Dat's my point. Gonna bee reely hard four Shaka ta bring inn da top playas. Da rich will get richa, aina?

Outside of those living in our backyard, Marquette wasn't landing those guys anyway.  The one-and-done types were going elsewhere, spending one year, and moving on.  I am increasingly of the opinion, if you look at Baylor, Virginia and Villanova, that those aren't the players you build championships around.

Sure the run of the mill, top 150 player may get a nice NIL deal at UW-Madison, but IMO we can compete with that.  I'm not all that concerned.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #180 on: August 27, 2021, 08:38:38 AM »
I'm happy players can profit off of their NIL.

Now I need an NCAA basketball game for PS5 ASAP.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #181 on: September 09, 2021, 12:46:58 PM »
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #182 on: September 09, 2021, 08:32:07 PM »
If Bates has a deal with FedEx or anyone else, it also would violate Tennessee's NIL law, which states:
"Entities who support or benefit the institution or its athletic program may not compensate or cause compensation to be provided to a student-athlete or recruit if the compensation is contingent on the student-athlete’s enrollment or continued participation at an institution."
"An institution and its officers and employees may not be involved in the development, operation, or promotion of a current or prospective student-athlete’s NIL, including actions that compensate or cause compensation to be provided to student-athletes."

The law also states:
"Student-athletes obtaining NIL compensation must disclose any agreement and its terms to their institution and must file annual reports with the institution in a time and manner designated by the institution."

So, it would seem any deal Bates has would need to be disclosed to Memphis. And, as a public institution, that deal might be subject to Freedom of Information laws.
So, who's going to file the FOIA request?

You really think Memphis, the school that employed Cal and now Penny, hasn’t covered all of their bases to make sure the deal doesn’t violate Tennessee law…as far as anyone will ever be able to find out?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #183 on: September 09, 2021, 09:49:06 PM »
Well, well, well

https://twitter.com/danmurphyespn/status/1435984454850424832?s=21

This actually was predicted when NIL discussions first got serious more than a year ago. Volleyball players, gymnasts and others were predicted to do better than lots of football and basketball players.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #184 on: September 09, 2021, 11:35:46 PM »
This actually was predicted when NIL discussions first got serious more than a year ago. Volleyball players, gymnasts and others were predicted to do better than lots of football and basketball players.

And, of course, it’s because of sexism and implied racism (isn’t everything these days though?).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/08/22/nil-deals-female-college-athletes/

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #185 on: September 09, 2021, 11:54:17 PM »
And, of course, it’s because of sexism and implied racism (isn’t everything these days though?).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/08/22/nil-deals-female-college-athletes/

Is that incorrect? Good for the students for taking advantage.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #186 on: September 10, 2021, 04:37:37 AM »

Yup, but a lot of the Chicken Littles didn’t believe it
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #187 on: September 10, 2021, 07:14:21 AM »
If I was rich and wanted to start paying players could I ask for their Venmo’s and pay them claiming NIL?

Edit: when I get rich
Bring back FFP!!!

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #188 on: September 10, 2021, 07:44:34 AM »
Like I said, MU is in a world of hurt with NIL. Maybe da teem kould appear in a Skidoo commercial, aina?

not to worry doc, another factor in the recruiting process just became, you may suck as a player, but if ya got a bod people want to jump the bones for, look good in yoga panties, the pay can be pretty good. 

don't...don't don't don't don't

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #189 on: September 10, 2021, 09:12:28 AM »
not to worry doc, another factor in the recruiting process just became, you may suck as a player, but if ya got a bod people want to jump the bones for, look good in yoga panties, the pay can be pretty good. 

linking to fake news?  shame on you...stick to your guns.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #190 on: September 10, 2021, 09:51:37 AM »

9.5 of 10 for the sexism

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #191 on: September 10, 2021, 12:51:59 PM »
If I was rich and wanted to start paying players could I ask for their Venmo’s and pay them claiming NIL?

Edit: when I get rich

Yep. That's what former basketball walk on Mat Ishbia is doing at Michigan State.  His company, United Wholesale Mortgage, is going to pay every Spartan men's basketball and football player $500/month, in exchange for "marketing" his company on their social media pages.  That's 133 players being paid $6,000 per year each ($798,000 total).

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/spartans/2021/09/08/michigan-state-football-men-basketball-stipends-mat-ishbia/5761440001/

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #192 on: September 10, 2021, 01:12:00 PM »
I'm still sticking with the belief that LSU gymnast Livvy Dunne will out earn them all.
Possibly multi-million per year.

As far as I know, she's the only collegiate athlete to sign with WME (William Morris/Endeavor)
They represent a good number of NFL athletes, Matthew Stafford, Christian McCaffrey, DeAndre Hopkins

But their big hitters are in Hollywood and Musicians; Ben Affleck, Matt Damon, Jessica Alba, Kate Beckinsale, Hugh Jackman, Whoopie Goldberg, Jake Gyllenhaal, Adam Sandler, Eddie Vedder, Adele, Alicia Keys........

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #193 on: September 10, 2021, 01:29:24 PM »
Yep. That's what former basketball walk on Mat Ishbia is doing at Michigan State.  His company, United Wholesale Mortgage, is going to pay every Spartan men's basketball and football player $500/month, in exchange for "marketing" his company on their social media pages.  That's 133 players being paid $6,000 per year each ($798,000 total).

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/spartans/2021/09/08/michigan-state-football-men-basketball-stipends-mat-ishbia/5761440001/

Much more cost effective to do this for a hoops team with 1/10th the # of players. Let's get it going!

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #194 on: September 10, 2021, 03:53:00 PM »

exactly. Becca Ripley, a redshirt senior from UCF has averaged a solid .5 ppg over career in which she has played eight games...and has earned six figures for endorsement deals. https://www.instagram.com/beccaripley/?hl=en

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #195 on: September 10, 2021, 04:00:56 PM »
exactly. Becca Ripley, a redshirt senior from UCF has averaged a solid .5 ppg over career in which she has played eight games...and has earned six figures for endorsement deals. https://www.instagram.com/beccaripley/?hl=en

So?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #196 on: September 10, 2021, 04:12:14 PM »
So?

nothing wrong with it, IMO. Proving Rocket's point (and I thought the WaPo editorial was ridiculous).

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #197 on: September 10, 2021, 05:21:08 PM »
nothing wrong with it, IMO. Proving Rocket's point (and I thought the WaPo editorial was ridiculous).

Why?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #198 on: September 10, 2021, 06:06:44 PM »
Why?

The girl is taking advantage of her assets and making money off of it. Just because some editorial writer doesn't like the fact attractive women are the biggest beneficiaries of NIL doesn't mean it's a horrible program. I found it amusing that the author kind of obscured the athletic feats of the Cavinder Twins and instead is acting shocked that businesses want to do business with attractive athletes, some of whom are quite good.

I worked with a kid, a mediocre, small college athlete who did a short Tik Tok video of himself shirtless, making a face while reciting a movie line. This happened during the shutdown. He left school to be in some Tik Tok house and now has 30 million followers and commands 12x more for a sponsored post than Tom Brady does and is getting his own clothing line. Sex sold there too. 

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #199 on: September 10, 2021, 06:13:21 PM »
The girl is taking advantage of her assets and making money off of it. Just because some editorial writer doesn't like the fact attractive women are the biggest beneficiaries of NIL doesn't mean it's a horrible program. I found it amusing that the author kind of obscured the athletic feats of the Cavinder Twins and instead is acting shocked that businesses want to do business with attractive athletes, some of whom are quite good. What is she proposing, quotas for unattractive or athletes who don't have a traditional fit body?

I worked with a kid, a mediocre, small college athlete who did a short Tik Tok video of himself shirtless, making a face while reciting a movie line. This happened during the shutdown. He left school to be in some Tik Tok house and now has 30 million followers and commands 12x more for a sponsored post than Tom Brady does and is getting his own clothing line. Sex sold there too.

feedback