'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: NCAA Might Lift All NIL Rules  (Read 24740 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: NCAA Might Lift All NIL Rules
« Reply #100 on: June 29, 2021, 10:55:29 AM »
Dumb response.  Pro’s having million dollar and up base contracts and millions more in incentives.  Role player in college likely makes little, could definitely be interested making some more cash with self-promotion on social media.

Dumb initial post.
The idea that unselfish and/or role players are suddenly going to turn into ballhogs for social media likes is ridiculous.
Peak Chicken Little on Scoop over this whole thing.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #101 on: June 29, 2021, 11:08:21 AM »
Dumb response.  Pro’s having million dollar and up base contracts and millions more in incentives.  Role player in college likely makes little, could definitely be interested making some more cash with self-promotion on social media. 

So you have already backed off your definitive statement, and now are hedging your bets with "could."  And you're accusing me of a dumb response?

Anyway, if this becomes an actual problem, the role player won't play much any more.  Its pretty simple.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #102 on: June 29, 2021, 11:09:36 AM »
On a side note, Dawson Garcia has 10K+ Instagram followers. Googling that, he should make about $100 per post. That's all I know on how to make $$ on Instagram.

Does MU offer any sort of course on social media monetizing?
Yes, a couple of years back one of the guys in the team posted that is what he was concentrating in College of Communication, courses on social media as a business. Maybe it was GE?
Goal is National Championship

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #103 on: June 29, 2021, 11:10:15 AM »
Any different than playing more selfish with a pro scout in the crowd?

I think 3 years after NIL becomes the norm in college, we will wonder what we were worrying about.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #104 on: June 29, 2021, 11:14:20 AM »
Any different than playing more selfish with a pro scout in the crowd?

I think 3 years after NIL becomes the norm in college, we will wonder what we were worrying about.

The gay marriage of college sports.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #105 on: June 29, 2021, 11:24:05 AM »
Marquette and other Big East schools will actually be in a better place with NIL.

Football Five schools need to "spread the money around" alot more.  They need to make sure the two tackles protecting the blue chip QB are properly paid.  This may annoy the second string wide receiver who wants more.  Then, the safety who isnt flashy, but very effective, gets disgruntled.  It can become very challeneging to manage, and the expenses keep going up, because football is where the money is and where the alumni show the vast majority of the sport.

Meanwhile, the basketball players at the football school get annoyed that an offensive guard on the fball team is getting primetime interest while the hoops program is playing second fiddle.

You wont have any of this nonsense at Marquette.  Come here and you are primetime.  Period.  All the resources focus on the hoops players, every second, every promotion, every dollar.

And how many players will you really have to put resources behind in order to get a great team?  Three?  Five?  That's alot less players than the football schools need to make happy.

Lastly, Marquette will be an incredible option for football five hoops players who feel they are being ignored due to football emphasis. 

I am bullish on NIL, not only because I am happy these students can monetize their assets, but also because it will be very good for Marquette as it relates to getting the best talent.

Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #106 on: June 29, 2021, 11:51:14 AM »
Marquette and other Big East schools will actually be in a better place with NIL.

Football Five schools need to "spread the money around" alot more.  They need to make sure the two tackles protecting the blue chip QB are properly paid.  This may annoy the second string wide receiver who wants more.  Then, the safety who isnt flashy, but very effective, gets disgruntled.  It can become very challeneging to manage, and the expenses keep going up, because football is where the money is and where the alumni show the vast majority of the sport.

Why does nobody understand that the schools aren't the ones handing out NIL money?

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #107 on: June 29, 2021, 11:57:32 AM »
Why does nobody understand that the schools aren't the ones handing out NIL money?

Welcome to America
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #108 on: June 29, 2021, 12:10:23 PM »
I think what MooMoo is saying is many football schools have a limited number of booster centric firms who would be willing to invest in marketing around that U's athletes. 

At Auburn, all that money goes to football.  Whereas at MU and other Big Easts schools, that money will go to hoops.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #109 on: June 29, 2021, 12:14:44 PM »
I think what MooMoo is saying is many football schools have a limited number of booster centric firms who would be willing to invest in marketing around that U's athletes. 

At Auburn, all that money goes to football.  Whereas at MU and other Big Easts schools, that money will go to hoops.

Yes.  Thanks Lens.

And I will refrain from questioning why people couldn't comprehend this, and I will also refrain from casting aspersions against the wonderful citizenry of this great nation.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #110 on: June 29, 2021, 12:29:59 PM »
Yes.  Thanks Lens.

And I will refrain from questioning why people couldn't comprehend this, and I will also refrain from casting aspersions against the wonderful citizenry of this great nation.

With all due respect, moomoo, Lens' explanation isn't anything close to what you wrote. You literally wrote that "the schools need to spread money around" and listed scenarios  in which the schools had to make sure the effective safety was getting paid, how the football schools wouldn't have enough for the basketball team, etc.
The schools aren't going to decide who gets how much. The marketplace will.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #111 on: June 29, 2021, 12:32:10 PM »

You, Rico, and I (among others) have said this over and over. I love opinions that are different than mine (of course, they are wrong opinions :) ), but there is no excuse to post ignorantly about a subject. If someone wants to comment, it is easier on all of us that they have at least a basic understanding of what they are typing.

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #112 on: June 29, 2021, 12:56:57 PM »
With all due respect, moomoo, Lens' explanation isn't anything close to what you wrote. You literally wrote that "the schools need to spread money around" and listed scenarios  in which the schools had to make sure the effective safety was getting paid, how the football schools wouldn't have enough for the basketball team, etc.
The schools aren't going to decide who gets how much. The marketplace will.

the schools, as faciliators to and conduits of the financial friends of the program, need to spread the money around

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #113 on: June 29, 2021, 01:43:31 PM »
the schools, as faciliators to and conduits of the financial friends of the program, need to spread the money around

The schools won't be facilitators to nor conduits of NIL. These will be private agreements between the athlete and the sponsor, negotiated and administered independently of the schools.

In fact, involvement by a school likely would be an NCAA violation. Among the few rules so far is one that prohibits the sponsorship being dependent on the athletes' attendance at a particular school. Hard to argue it's not when the school itself is serving as "facilitator to and conduit of" the sponsorship. Bama isn't going to set up sponsorship deals for Auburn players, you know?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 01:48:27 PM by Pakuni »

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #114 on: June 29, 2021, 01:49:58 PM »
They can't. Schools can't do that.

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #115 on: June 29, 2021, 01:50:14 PM »
The schools won't be facilitators to nor conduits of NIL. These will be private agreements between the athlete and the sponsor, negotiated and administered independently of the schools.

In fact, involvement by a school likely would be an NCAA violation. Among the few rules so far is one that prohibits the sponsorship being dependent on the athletes' attendance at a particular school. Hard to argue it's not when the school itself is serving as "facilitator to and conduit of" the sponsorship. Bama isn't going to set up sponsorship deals for Auburn players, you know?

https://www.inflcr.com/2019/03/19/marquette-turns-to-inflcr-for-social-media-boost/

Sounds like Marquette is looking to facilitate

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #116 on: June 29, 2021, 01:56:07 PM »
https://www.inflcr.com/2019/03/19/marquette-turns-to-inflcr-for-social-media-boost/

Not in the way you think. Almost all young people know how to monetize internet or know what it takes. This would help with content if they're going to use something MU related. Big money will come from amount of followers and views leading to sponsors be it local /national

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #117 on: June 29, 2021, 02:09:26 PM »

Meanwhile, the basketball players at the football school get annoyed that an offensive guard on the fball team is getting primetime interest while the hoops program is playing second fiddle.

You wont have any of this nonsense at Marquette.  Come here and you are primetime.  Period.  All the resources focus on the hoops players, every second, every promotion, every dollar.

And how many players will you really have to put resources behind in order to get a great team?  Three?  Five?  That's alot less players than the football schools need to make happy.

Lastly, Marquette will be an incredible option for football five hoops players who feel they are being ignored due to football emphasis. 

I am bullish on NIL, not only because I am happy these students can monetize their assets, but also because it will be very good for Marquette as it relates to getting the best talent.

Boosters at Football first programs (e.g. Alabama) will be fine if their basketball program declines to permanent second class status as long as football is protected.  Basketball first programs (e.g Kentucky) will find their boosters will protect their basketball investment at the expense of their also-ran football program. 

Do you really think someone in UK is going to worry about how to fairly split the NIL pie between basketball and football?

First off, as pointed out in other messages--the schools themselves aren't even involved--it's a direct relationship between the athlete and those willing to fund the athlete. 

And I think it's fair to observe that UK's big money boosters could care less about UK's perennially underperforming football program.    Basketball players will find plenty of NIL money at Kentucky, even though it also ostensibly has a football team.

So MU won't be the beneficiary of any mass exodus of talent from the football conferences.  Our big-money boosters will have to compete with counterparts at UK, Indiana, North Carolina, etc when it comes down to who is willing to fund NIL more. And I'm not bullish on our ability to compete vis-a-vis big state schools with large alumni populations.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #118 on: June 29, 2021, 02:14:24 PM »
Yes, schools won't be involved in lining up deals between the SA and businesses. Wink Wink.

The schools will have some say in the matter, as these deals still have some limitations (cant be deals to induce players to come to or stay at school, cant be against the mission of the school, cant be commission based on points scored, etc)

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #119 on: June 29, 2021, 02:23:01 PM »
Boosters at Football first programs (e.g. Alabama) will be fine if their basketball program declines to permanent second class status as long as football is protected.  Basketball first programs (e.g Kentucky) will find their boosters will protect their basketball investment at the expense of their also-ran football program. 

Do you really think someone in UK is going to worry about how to fairly split the NIL pie between basketball and football?

First off, as pointed out in other messages--the schools themselves aren't even involved--it's a direct relationship between the athlete and those willing to fund the athlete. 

And I think it's fair to observe that UK's big money boosters could care less about UK's perennially underperforming football program.    Basketball players will find plenty of NIL money at Kentucky, even though it also ostensibly has a football team.

So MU won't be the beneficiary of any mass exodus of talent from the football conferences.  Our big-money boosters will have to compete with counterparts at UK, Indiana, North Carolina, etc when it comes down to who is willing to fund NIL more. And I'm not bullish on our ability to compete vis-a-vis big state schools with large alumni populations.

Is that any different than now? The only thing is it is going straight to the players rather than facilities and salaries. However, I think most big donors probably earmark their money to a sport/cause.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #120 on: June 29, 2021, 02:34:44 PM »

Talk about shifting goalposts.
You started with schools "spreading the money around."
When shown to be wrong about that, you changed to "facilitators and conduits" for sponsorship deals.
When that was shown to also be wrong, you go to "give students access to a software program."
Is moomoo Chico's latest nom de plume?

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #121 on: June 29, 2021, 02:59:03 PM »
Talk about shifting goalposts.
You started with schools "spreading the money around."
When shown to be wrong about that, you changed to "facilitators and conduits" for sponsorship deals.
When that was shown to also be wrong, you go to "give students access to a software program."
Is moomoo Chico's latest nom de plume?

Shifting goal posts?  That's not what I am about Pakuni, not looking to argue or cover my tracks, just looking to provide my thoughts on a program I love.

The blue bloods already have an advantage on us, so NIL doesn't hurt us with them.  How often were we gonna beat out Duke or Kentucky before NIL?

The football money schools (Alabama, Auburn, Texas, Oklahoma, etc.) allegedly would have more money in their sports program so inherently they had an advantage, yet we would often hold our own against them.  Having this new setup with NIL, in my opnion, doesn't hurt us because I believe the entire focus in those schools will be EVEN MORE on fball and taking care of the gazillion position players in that sport, and a basketball player may feel shortchanged going there.

Lastly, no one here knows wether or not Marquette will mention a few interested corporations to a player to help him generate income off of his NIL.  And no one knows exactly what the NCAA will allow or disallow going forward.  It really is the wild west (even our great conference commissioner suggested as such).

Marquette linking up with a company to help with a student's social media is only the beginning, in my opinion.  I believe that Marquette will invest heavily in presenting itself, within any rule structure, as THE place that helps (in particularly) basketball players maximize their NIL assets, as well as any other comprehensive, long term packages that will be allowed.

The example I use is if your large company has major tax compliance issues with several government agencies coming at you, do you hire the largest law firm with a smaller (but reputable) tax practice, or do you engage that smaller law firm with the best tax division that specializes specifically in exactly what your company is going through.

I think there will be a big market for young men and women in basketball to choose the specialized path.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 03:00:59 PM by moomoo »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #122 on: June 29, 2021, 05:22:49 PM »
“It’s been quite a year for this young man. Not only is he averaging 23 points & 8 boards a game, but the sophomore power forward also boasts 14,000 Instagram followers & a lucrative deal with a regional car dealership!”
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #123 on: July 04, 2021, 10:57:30 AM »
Interesting AP article on how new NIL rules could affect elite gymnasts, and how much it would have helped their predecessors ...

https://apnews.com/article/college-sports-olympic-games-2020-tokyo-olympics-sports-6610e9d532d8d57f4cff3ec7dea958d0
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #124 on: July 04, 2021, 07:39:56 PM »
Interesting AP article on how new NIL rules could affect elite gymnasts, and how much it would have helped their predecessors ...

https://apnews.com/article/college-sports-olympic-games-2020-tokyo-olympics-sports-6610e9d532d8d57f4cff3ec7dea958d0

michigan and michigan state athletes could then probably afford and choose their own doctors and bypassing the ole universal diagnostic finger in the butt exams
don't...don't don't don't don't