'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: IWB's Column on Culture  (Read 8542 times)

The Lens

• All American
IWB's Column on Culture
« on: June 15, 2021, 09:58:38 AM »
I won't paste it here but IWB has a great column on the new culture of #mubb that is worth the monthly dues.

http://www.brewcityball.com/homepage.php
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

GB Warrior

• All American
Re: IWB's Column on Culture
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 10:10:19 AM »
I won't paste it here but IWB has a great column on the new culture of #mubb that is worth the monthly dues.

Does it dive into the corrosive effect Jae Crowder has had on the fabric of Marquette athletics

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 10:16:36 AM »
Man he really need to do some multivariate and A/B testing on his website. That thing looks straight out of 2010.
Maigh Eo for Sam

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 12:38:29 PM »
Man he really need to do some multivariate and A/B testing on his website. That thing looks straight out of 2010.
HAHAHA...i had to click on it after seeing this.  i wonder if vintage websites will ever be a thing.  this looks like something i created in web design in middle school when you could build a web page on microsoft word.  straight retro!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 01:19:59 PM »

Did he say if the culture change was a #donedeal?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 01:20:04 PM »

Is a blender used?
Goal is National Championship

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2021, 02:19:37 PM »
It was a nice read. The main takeaway that I got from it was that this staff is a lot less “standoffish” than the previous staff. Probably bodes well for guys like IWB who monetize the information they get from these coaches.

Other than that, Shaka has some new sayings on the practice gym walls and also they keep records of certain drills in practice. Nothing too out of the ordinary.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2021, 04:14:28 PM »
Awesome article. The Marquette head coaching job was not as in demand when Wojo took it as it is now when Shaka took it. The Future is again bright for Marquette.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2021, 08:40:36 PM »
Don't have access to the article, but one culture thing I've heard is there is a big push towards personal ownership and responsibility towards the program and community.
An example is simply cleaning up after themselves when team functions have finished. Players can not expect the help / support staff to help them with putting dishes away, garbage, even putting away their bowling balls. Staff is being told to not pick up stuff for them voluntarily as was the expectation in the past.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2021, 09:07:10 PM »
Don't have access to the article, but one culture thing I've heard is there is a big push towards personal ownership and responsibility towards the program and community.
An example is simply cleaning up after themselves when team functions have finished. Players can not expect the help / support staff to help them with putting dishes away, garbage, even putting away their bowling balls. Staff is being told to not pick up stuff for them voluntarily as was the expectation in the past.

Have to flush for themselves, a’ina?

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2021, 09:52:51 PM »
How good is the noon game, though?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2021, 10:51:15 PM »

No offense, but I'm calling major BS on this.  It's been commented on for years about Wojo and his (not my quote) "choir boys", or his lack of "squirmy" recruits.  The story about Matt and Markus building the basketball court down somewhere in Central America, the story about Markus doing the make-a-wish thing, Sacar and Theo participating in the peaceful protests in Minneapolis, hell, there was just an article about how Wojo recruit Stevie seems to be a genuinely good human being.  If they weren't told that they had to clean up after themselves, it's because they already knew it and were doing it themselves.  Wojo certainly had flaws, the character of his recruits was not one of them.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2021, 11:11:37 PM »
No offense, but I'm calling major BS on this.  It's been commented on for years about Wojo and his (not my quote) "choir boys", or his lack of "squirmy" recruits.  The story about Matt and Markus building the basketball court down somewhere in Central America, the story about Markus doing the make-a-wish thing, Sacar and Theo participating in the peaceful protests in Minneapolis, hell, there was just an article about how Wojo recruit Stevie seems to be a genuinely good human being.  If they weren't told that they had to clean up after themselves, it's because they already knew it and were doing it themselves.  Wojo certainly had flaws, the character of his recruits was not one of them.

I'm not sure if there's any truth to his post but it certainly wasn't commenting on the character of the players.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2021, 11:41:00 PM »
I'm not sure if there's any truth to his post but it certainly wasn't commenting on the character of the players.

Guess we interpret

Players can not expect the help / support staff to help them with putting dishes away, garbage, even putting away their bowling balls. Staff is being told to not pick up stuff for them voluntarily as was the expectation in the past.

different.  Also when you come out and say that 1, you didn't read the source material, and 2, provide zero specific examples of the kind of culture that the previous staff had implemented (extremely vague non-specific examples given), you're kind of opening yourself up to criticism. 

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2021, 06:59:07 AM »
I did read the article…

My fave?

There’s 3 buzz words at the end of each baseline, under each hoop. 

South Wall: 

VIOLENCE
MULTIPLE EFFORTS
DEFLECTIONS

North Wall:

VIOLENCE
CLOSEOUTS
PAINT

That’s a different culture.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2021, 08:08:02 AM »
Shaka is fomenting violence?

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2021, 08:16:20 AM »

2010? More like 2001.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2021, 08:34:37 AM »
Shaka is fomenting violence?

Works for me.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2021, 10:04:32 AM »
Guess we interpret

different.  Also when you come out and say that 1, you didn't read the source material, and 2, provide zero specific examples of the kind of culture that the previous staff had implemented (extremely vague non-specific examples given), you're kind of opening yourself up to criticism.

"Staff is being told to not pick up stuff for them voluntarily as was the expectation in the past."
This could be misinterpreted, sorry about that, this is nothing about the past regime. I think in this situation it's more like when you go to a restaurant, there's a general expectation that someone will pick up your plates. Shaka is trying to remove all of those expectations so the kids can feel like they are starting from nothing, building something up, owning the entire process of becoming a team together.  More of a mindset.

Sad part to me as I heard this is that the Annex is where we treat recruits to a good time. Bowling is bowling I guess. I don't have a better option in mind, but feel like we should have one.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2021, 10:32:41 AM »
"Staff is being told to not pick up stuff for them voluntarily as was the expectation in the past."
This could be misinterpreted, sorry about that, this is nothing about the past regime. I think in this situation it's more like when you go to a restaurant, there's a general expectation that someone will pick up your plates. Shaka is trying to remove all of those expectations so the kids can feel like they are starting from nothing, building something up, owning the entire process of becoming a team together.  More of a mindset.

Sad part to me as I heard this is that the Annex is where we treat recruits to a good time. Bowling is bowling I guess. I don't have a better option in mind, but feel like we should have one.

I guess that may be true, but in the grand scheme of things, I don't really see that mattering.  With the off-court issues that some of Buzz's players had, I can't imagine that they were abiding by these guidelines, and nobody cared, because the on-court results were there.  By all accounts, Wojo's guys were pretty model student athletes, yet because the on-court results weren't there, he had to go. 

I don't really see this as much more than an offseason puff piece from a writer that's trying to get in good with the new coach, especially when it was fairly well known that he didn't have the connections under Wojo that he did under Buzz. Except for a Gregg Marshall Wichita State type situation, you could pretty much swap "Shaka", and "MU", with "coach x" and "University Y", and the article could be pretty close. 

Not to say that there's anything wrong with putting out something like this in the offseason, and IWB usually had pretty good stuff, I would just read very little into the nuts and bolts of the article, and see it more as IWB trying to get along with Shaka.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2021, 11:24:47 AM »
Anonymous Eagle had an article on this back on June 8, although they missed "violence" which is clearly visible in the Point 3 photo. I guess "violence" has replaced "havoc".

https://www.anonymouseagle.com/2021/6/8/22524156/marquette-golden-eagles-mens-basketball-summer-workout-mcguire-center-kasten-gym-signs

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2021, 02:29:31 PM »
Violence?   Ok seriously what's that about?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2021, 02:40:42 PM »

Relax. Yeah it just means playing hard.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2021, 02:46:25 PM »

It's about the opposite of the last 7 years. 

Get ready to start watching Marquette basketball once again.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2021, 03:06:20 PM »
Deflection? What's that about? Why are they wanting to draw attention away from themselves?