[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Athletic Early Big East Rankings  (Read 14062 times)

geps

• Team Captain
  • Double down
The Athletic Early Big East Rankings
« on: June 10, 2021, 06:17:34 PM »
9 Marquette

Potential starters: Justin Lewis, Dawson Garcia, Greg Elliott, Tyler Kolek (transfer), Stevie Mitchell (freshman)
Bench: Oso Ighodaro, Kam Jones (freshman), Emarion Ellis (freshman), Keeyan Itejere (freshman), David Joplin (freshman), Kur Kuath (transfer), Olivier-Maxence Prosper (transfer)

The passionate Marquette fan base finally got its long-desired head coach, Shaka Smart, albeit a few years later than it first thought. In former coach Steve Wojciechowski’s seven seasons at the helm, Marquette went to two NCAA Tournaments, losing in the first round both times. Smart is finally returning to his Wisconsin roots after a six-season stint at Texas, and a new era dawns in Milwaukee. It’s a good fit, but as with any new coach, the first year should be projected with some tempered expectations.

And with Marquette, the upcoming outlook is largely dependent on the decision of Dawson Garcia, who is navigating the draft evaluation process. If the 6-11 Garcia returns, it would give the Golden Eagles a reliable scorer (13.0 points a game, 48 percent shooting). Garcia also added 6.6 rebounds a game. With an offseason of development, Garcia could be scary for the Golden Eagles. The new coaching staff is offering support in the meantime. Regardless, Smart will be working with a young roster — 10 of the 12 scholarship players are underclassmen. There are a lot of departures from last year’s roster, creating a new look, so it’s very, very early to think of starters, let alone the final product.

9th? You gotta be kidding. Not much faith in Shaka per this author.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Re: The Athletic Early Big East Rankings
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 06:23:25 PM »
https://archive.ph/pOjXk

1. Nova
2. UConn
3. X
4. GTown
5. Butler
6. Creighton
7. Johnnies
8. Providence
9. The Gold
10. Seton Hall
11. DePaw
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 06:25:07 PM by Skatastrophy »

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 06:28:15 PM »
With Garcia ... I could see 6th or
7th, but w/ out him ?  9th seems right.

I mean they just have a bunch of (very
young very thin)guys.  No experience.
No stud.   It’s just his first few months and Joplin is a nice get ... other than that .. meh

The roster for this next season will not be as good as last year’s roster.

Hopefully better coaching will help,
But how much ?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 07:15:53 PM »
We desperately need to add some prime-time players.  I think everyone expects a transition year for MU but maybe we land a late hammer transfer?

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 07:36:52 PM »
With Garcia ... I could see 6th or
7th, but w/ out him ?  9th seems right.

I mean they just have a bunch of (very
young very thin)guys.  No experience.
No stud.   It’s just his first few months and Joplin is a nice get ... other than that .. meh

The roster for this next season will not be as good as last year’s roster.

Hopefully better coaching will help,
But how much ?
You do realize he has us as 9th with Garcia as a starter?

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2021, 08:04:11 PM »
Dad ...

Yikes !  If that’s the case, then I disagree ( cuz I think they could be a bit higher w / Garcia)

But, it’s a very depressing outlook for next year.  I hope we / the Athletic are wrong.  Muggs is right ... MU needs a real impact transfer ... which I don’t see happening

This coming season could be really
Ugly.   I hope I’m missing something...

But again we just have a roster of young , thin , kinda “ meh “ prospects.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2021, 08:08:34 PM »
When I look at the rest of the teams in our league, outside of Nova and U -Conn, there is not much , if any, in talent differential. So in a 20 game conference season it will come down to coaching. I believe Shaka will do a great job coaching the team and we will surprise a lot of people.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2021, 08:23:07 PM »
There will be a lot more preseason projections saying approximately the same thing.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2021, 09:38:59 PM »
Herm. - hope u are right

MU is going to be picked for a baaad
Year.   Hope they / we are wrong

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2021, 08:07:17 AM »
I’d put Seton Hall ahead of them
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2021, 08:37:44 AM »
I’d put Seton Hall ahead of them

I would too, though there are some teams ahead of them that I might put behind them.

The reality this season is that there is Nova, UConn, and X and everyone else. I don't think that there is too much disparity between the bottom 8 teams, except maybe DePaul.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2021, 08:38:55 AM »
I like Ellis as the starting guard opposite Kolek. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2021, 08:48:23 AM »
I would too, though there are some teams ahead of them that I might put behind them.

The reality this season is that there is Nova, UConn, and X and everyone else. I don't think that there is too much disparity between the bottom 8 teams, except maybe DePaul.

Georgetown could be pretty bad, too.  Outside Villanova, it feels like the league is spinning its wheels in some ways right now. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2021, 09:05:58 AM »
I like Ellis as the starting guard opposite Kolek.
Ellis is one of my pre - season favorites. Love what that kid brings to the table.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2021, 09:28:27 AM »
We desperately need to add some prime-time players.  I think everyone expects a transition year for MU but maybe we land a late hammer transfer?

As much as we all would like to see a season saving transfer, I think we have to ask why would such a player come to Marquette. Shaka is systems guy, not a coach like Wojo who would allow a guy to showboat. Same reason that I think Garcia, if he decides to stay in college one more year, chooses a school other than Marquette- Shaka will be focused on developing a team, not allowing a player to put on a show for NBA scouts at the risk of delaying team/system development.   
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2021, 09:31:01 AM »
If Morsell and Garcia are here, how does our lineup compare to last year?

I would take Morsell, Kolek, Elliott (if healthy), Garcia and Lewis over last years starters (when Carton was not on his A game). If Carton was playing how we hoped, I may take last years starters. I like our bench this year, even though they are young. Coaching, no need to even mention that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2021, 09:37:36 AM »
As much as we all would like to see a season saving transfer, I think we have to ask why would such a player come to Marquette. Shaka is systems guy, not a coach like Wojo who would allow a guy to showboat. Same reason that I think Garcia, if he decides to stay in college one more year, chooses a school other than Marquette- Shaka will be focused on developing a team, not allowing a player to put on a show for NBA scouts at the risk of delaying team/system development.

Not all players with pro aspirations need to hear they will be allowed to "showboat."

Shaka can tell players:, "I know what it takes to get to the NBA. When I was at Texas, I had a first-round draft pick in 3 straight years, including two guys who went in the top 10. I also had a top-15 pick when I was at VCU and had others who went on to play in the league. If you truly have NBA potential and if you work hard, we can prepare you for a long, profitable career."

Many have pointed out that one of Shaka's strengths is salesmanship.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2021, 09:53:55 AM »
Not all players with pro aspirations need to hear they will be allowed to "showboat."

Shaka can tell players:, "I know what it takes to get to the NBA. When I was at Texas, I had a first-round draft pick in 3 straight years, including two guys who went in the top 10. I also had a top-15 pick when I was at VCU and had others who went on to play in the league. If you truly have NBA potential and if you work hard, we can prepare you for a long, profitable career."

Many have pointed out that one of Shaka's strengths is salesmanship.

All true, but I as referring specifically to this coming season at Marquette. A season saver transfer would, I think, be probably be looking at only one year. Once Shaka has established MU as a solid, competitive team sure, he can sell players on his success of getting players into the NBA. My point is simply that this is probably not the best year for his helping a player getting into the NBA. 
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2021, 10:00:51 AM »
All true, but I as referring specifically to this coming season at Marquette. A season saver transfer would, I think, be probably be looking at only one year. Once Shaka has established MU as a solid, competitive team sure, he can sell players on his success of getting players into the NBA. My point is simply that this is probably not the best year for his helping a player getting into the NBA.

Perhaps. Or not.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2021, 10:04:02 AM »
Not a good feeling for the program when a projection that has you 9th focuses entirely on a guy who won't be here.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2021, 10:10:12 AM »
Not a good feeling for the program when a projection that has you 9th focuses entirely on a guy who won't be here.

I know Shaka offered Dawson at Texas but I'm not sold on Dawson in Shaka's system based on what we saw last season.  Dawson and DJC are much more talented than anyone on this roster but their tendency to float in and out of games leaves me believing we can win next season with a Buzz like, "whole greater sum of our parts" year. 

I think 10-10 in is conference is realistic.  The stories I am hearing from The Al in terms of the hours the entire basketball office is working right now, and the excitement level in the building tells me something good is brewing. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2021, 10:28:03 AM »
I know Shaka offered Dawson at Texas but I'm not sold on Dawson in Shaka's system based on what we saw last season.  Dawson and DJC are much more talented than anyone on this roster but their tendency to float in and out of games leaves me believing we can win next season with a Buzz like, "whole greater sum of our parts" year. 

I think 10-10 in is conference is realistic.  The stories I am hearing from The Al in terms of the hours the entire basketball office is working right now, and the excitement level in the building tells me something good is brewing.

Great to see the excitement is not just on the board, but in the Al.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2021, 10:29:20 AM »

I absolutely loved watching the 2 guys when they were "on". Stating that they floated in and out is fair, and not, as some here will claim, attacking a guy who has left and another one who seems to be gone. When they were hot, they were hot but their disappearing acts for stretches killed us.

Love hearing someone predicting a 10-10 conference record but, to be honest, I think even 8-12 will be a major challenge. Looking long term, I am hoping, in BE standings, that we are at least 3rd in Shaka's 3rd season. Sure, I'll take the #1 spot but Nova and probably UCONN are well positioned to dominate for the near future.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2021, 10:43:49 AM »

9th with Garcia and Morsell sounds about right.  Gonna be REAL ugly without Garcia. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2021, 10:51:29 AM »

Most players improve, and some improve dramatically, especially if they get to play under a superior coach who will have them better prepared and who will hold them more accountable. I would have loved to have seen Carton stay because I think he would have been first-team All-BEast, and I very much hope Garcia stays.

I'm not saying you did this, but I just don't get how so many Scoopers seem to ignore the possibility (likelihood IMHO) that athletes improve as they mature and gain experience. "We don't need them. They're Wojo guys." That's just dopey. Again, not saying this was your take, Lens.

I hope you're right about 10-10. I too think that if the right players "grow up" fast, we have a chance to be sneaky good. But that's mostly my optimistic nature talking because it's pretty hard to project how a team will do when it's filled with guys I've never seen.

feedback