'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: What's the word on Garcia?  (Read 162242 times)

PointWarrior

• All American
Re: What's the word on Garcia?
« Reply #900 on: July 09, 2021, 10:23:49 AM »

Thanks MUCam.  Those saying “but the money is not coming from the schools” is just a stupid argument. 

Do you think a Miami business giving every Miami Fb player $500 / month is purely the best interest of that business or because they are a huge Miami FB booster?

So how did NC lineup $1M of NIL for Dawson in about 4 days?   Pretty sure some booster stepped up somewhere.

It’s all about the money, there are no rules are recruiting anymore (see Frank Martin article).  And college bball will forever be changed. College players should get a cut of the action, but this version of NIL will have some serious negative consequences for current college basketball.  It is basically paid ball with no salary cap, no contracts, no rules. 

We can get tied up with semantics, but I think you need only search "boosters and NIL" to find that boosters actively getting involved in the NIL business to help their alma mater (or favorite school) is not a myth. They aren't doing this to benefit their businesses; they are doing it to benefit the schools they support by attracting high end talent to the programs at their schools.

I thought this was an interesting Clemson opinion article that describes some of the thoughts on how NIL will affect different schools. More importantly, it feels like a piece trying to mobilize boosters to get involved; basically an arms race type article. https://rubbingtherock.com/2021/07/08/clemson-football-boosters-future/

Note reference to Frank Martin saying there is a HS bball kid with a seven figure offer already from a booster. Martin's thoughts are equally interesting:
https://247sports.com/college/south-carolina/Article/NIL-landscape-Frank-Martin-South-Carolina-Gamecocks-mens-basketball-167514581/

Again, I am not saying this is bad or good. It is change and it is reality. You either adapt or you get stuck reminiscing about glory days. But, to pretend that boosters aren't going to be working "for" their school's benefit (regardless of how much or little input the actual school has), is to stick your head in the sand.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #901 on: July 09, 2021, 10:25:02 AM »

Note reference to Frank Martin saying there is a HS bball kid with a seven figure offer already from a booster.
Well that would still be a violation under the new NIL rules, unless FMV is 7 figures for what he will be advertising, and is not prefaced on him attending that booster's school of choice.

Wondering if it is a booster for So Carolina, or another school.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #902 on: July 09, 2021, 10:31:02 AM »

So how did NC lineup $1M of NIL for Dawson in about 4 days?   Pretty sure some booster stepped up somewhere.
Huh? How did I miss this? Where is this million dollars referenced?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #903 on: July 09, 2021, 10:31:31 AM »

I really like Garcia and wish he would have stayed. But if he's honestly got $1M in NIL money lined up (I'm skeptical, but if so, good for him) then I think somebody overpaid. It's new and will take some time for things to sort themselves out, but it sounds like people may "overpay" in the early days. If those numbers are real, I suspect things will come back to earth in the coming months/years.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #904 on: July 09, 2021, 10:33:12 AM »
Shooter, go to bed, you’re drunk. 

If you don’t see how NIL is a BOON for #mubb then you obviously didn’t take Logic 101.  All the chicken littles out there, MUBB is  about burn the rest of the conference down. 

NIL is a (greatly) pivotal time in MUBB. 

We’re gonna soar.

I don't think it is so clear.  Could help MU in that MU's main boosters can target their funds towards a few ball player only, since we don't have football.  Could be good for the BE. That is one scenario everyone is talking about.

On the other hand, if follows on Instagram, influencer stuff is big money,  or purchase of jerseys with a players name on them become a big revenue source, it could strongly favor the big state schools.  Which along with donor money could boost the big state schools more.

Or, it could be in between and wash each other out, etc, and the same type of kids end up at the same type of schools as in the past, just with a lot more money.  It will further separate the teams from the schools and the players from their peers. MU has always wanted the team as part of the school.  Buzz ran the team as separate from the school.  In the end, the Buzz way maybe the future for college revenue sports. An 18 year old who wants and can afford a penthouse apartment might not be happy living in a dorm room.

I think the only known that seems pretty certain, is that the smaller, mid-major schools are less likely to be winners in the new system.  But again, some might have a big donor or two that targets a few kids and all of a sudden, a lesser school puts together a winner.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #905 on: July 09, 2021, 10:47:22 AM »
 :) Sorry duplicate post with corrections.  Not sure how to delete this post.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 10:48:56 AM by GOO »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #906 on: July 09, 2021, 10:53:09 AM »
I really like Garcia and wish he would have stayed. But if he's honestly got $1M in NIL money lined up (I'm skeptical, but if so, good for him) then I think somebody overpaid. It's new and will take some time for things to sort themselves out, but it sounds like people may "overpay" in the early days. If those numbers are real, I suspect things will come back to earth in the coming months/years.

This. I think we're seeing an untested market and people overvalueing the ROI for the influence of these athletes. At a certain point there will no way businesses will be able to justify such massive expenditures to everyone.
Maigh Eo for Sam

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #907 on: July 09, 2021, 10:57:32 AM »
Illinois recruiting boards - so take it for what that may be worth (likely a million)...

Huh? How did I miss this? Where is this million dollars referenced?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #908 on: July 09, 2021, 11:10:58 AM »
We can get tied up with semantics, but I think you need only search "boosters and NIL" to find that boosters actively getting involved in the NIL business to help their alma mater (or favorite school) is not a myth. They aren't doing this to benefit their businesses; they are doing it to benefit the schools they support by attracting high end talent to the programs at their schools.

I thought this was an interesting Clemson opinion article that describes some of the thoughts on how NIL will affect different schools. More importantly, it feels like a piece trying to mobilize boosters to get involved; basically an arms race type article. https://rubbingtherock.com/2021/07/08/clemson-football-boosters-future/

Note reference to Frank Martin saying there is a HS bball kid with a seven figure offer already from a booster. Martin's thoughts are equally interesting:
https://247sports.com/college/south-carolina/Article/NIL-landscape-Frank-Martin-South-Carolina-Gamecocks-mens-basketball-167514581/

Again, I am not saying this is bad or good. It is change and it is reality. You either adapt or you get stuck reminiscing about glory days. But, to pretend that boosters aren't going to be working "for" their school's benefit (regardless of how much or little input the actual school has), is to stick your head in the sand.

With all due respect, an opinion piece from a Clemson blog that encourages boosters to pony up and Frank Martin passing along a rumor don't exactly qualify as examples of boosters acting in cahoots with schools. It doesn't even qualify as evidence of boosters buying players.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #909 on: July 09, 2021, 11:27:02 AM »
Shooter, go to bed, you’re drunk. 

If you don’t see how NIL is a BOON for #mubb then you obviously didn’t take Logic 101.  All the chicken littles out there, MUBB is  about burn the rest of the conference down. 

NIL is a (greatly) pivotal time in MUBB. 

We’re gonna soar.

That’s what I’ve been saying, as well.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #910 on: July 09, 2021, 11:33:18 AM »
Thanks MUCam.  Those saying “but the money is not coming from the schools” is just a stupid argument. 

Do you think a Miami business giving every Miami Fb player $500 / month is purely the best interest of that business or because they are a huge Miami FB booster?

It’s all about the money, there are no rules are recruiting anymore (see Frank Martin article).  And college bball will forever be changed. College players should get a cut of the action, but this version of NIL will have some serious negative consequences for current college basketball.  It is basically paid ball with no salary cap, no contracts, no rules.

I’m not sure that you understand the difference between boosters giving NIL money to players and schools giving NIL money to players.

One happens.

The other doesn’t.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #911 on: July 09, 2021, 11:36:14 AM »
I’m truly sorry to see Dawson Garcia leave but, simply put, next man up.

We have a new coach, new system and lots and lots of questions. Not sure I blame him for looking elsewhere. If the NIL money is as good as some suggest, Garcia died and went to heaven.

Either way, wish the young man luck and let’s move on.

We are Warriors. We don’t whine.

illiniwarriors

• Walk-On
« Reply #912 on: July 09, 2021, 12:02:12 PM »
Gentlemen as I've said before I live in Champaign -Urbana and have been a booster for Illinois athletics for many years.On Tuesday July 6 the Athletic Department held a huge cocktail party info session for All local businesses and boosters on NIL.I attended the meeting and the Informed people I know were discussing the packages that were being put together for Garcia and Kofi.
   In my opinion between the transfer portal and NIL we are now in the WILD WILD WEST.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #913 on: July 09, 2021, 12:13:09 PM »
Gentlemen as I've said before I live in Champaign -Urbana and have been a booster for Illinois athletics for many years.On Tuesday July 6 the Athletic Department held a huge cocktail party info session for All local businesses and boosters on NIL.I attended the meeting and the Informed people I know were discussing the packages that were being put together for Garcia and Kofi.
   In my opinion between the transfer portal and NIL we are now in the WILD WILD WEST.

Penn State's AD had a press conference and indirectly called out their 750K alumni to step it up when it comes to NIL. While these deals cannot be "pay for play" and have to be approved by the athletic departments and cannot be arranged by the departments, there are going to be a lot of backdoor negotiations going on to help land or keep players.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #914 on: July 09, 2021, 12:18:50 PM »

This.  If MU is not doing this they are done.   I don’t think many here get that the school can’t steer the money to these kids directly but they can sure ask their boosters to do it.  Anybody thinking differently is very naive.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #915 on: July 09, 2021, 12:43:54 PM »
Sounds like it's time for Danny Pudi to start casting MUBB recruits for huge movies.
Maigh Eo for Sam

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #916 on: July 09, 2021, 12:46:19 PM »
are you that naïve?  we understand the school is not giving the money, just like pre-NIL days.   Now the schools can encourage boosters to give money via NIL - what was illegal pre-NIL is now legal with no limitations (or at least ones that are seemingly enforceable).

I’m not sure that you understand the difference between boosters giving NIL money to players and schools giving NIL money to players.

One happens.

The other doesn’t.

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #917 on: July 09, 2021, 12:53:51 PM »
Duquesne has their own "Personal Brand Coach", brought on a few months back (https://goduquesne.com/news/2021/5/3/general-jordon-rooney-named-personal-brand-coach.aspx).

If Duquesne players are getting this type of support on NIL, I sure hope MU follows suit in some way. 

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #918 on: July 09, 2021, 01:16:03 PM »
Sounds like it's time for Danny Pudi to start casting MUBB recruits for huge movies.

*Duck tales cameos
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #919 on: July 09, 2021, 01:22:54 PM »
Dawson did not get a million dollars from a booster to attend UNC.

Dawson may believe that he could earn up to a million dollars in NIL from various sources by attending UNC and I'm sure UNC did nothing to dissuade him of that belief.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #920 on: July 09, 2021, 01:24:49 PM »
So now that he's declared can anybody spill the beans on if he was never seriously considering coming back? If we had an outside shot if Wojo stayed? Did he not vibe with Shaka?
Maigh Eo for Sam

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #921 on: July 09, 2021, 01:26:06 PM »
Duquesne has their own "Personal Brand Coach", brought on a few months back (https://goduquesne.com/news/2021/5/3/general-jordon-rooney-named-personal-brand-coach.aspx).

If Duquesne players are getting this type of support on NIL, I sure hope MU follows suit in some way.
Marquette was out in front of this last year

https://www.inflcr.com/2020/08/03/marquette-data-services-announcement/

On a side note, I see Johnny Juzang's Instagram followers jumped from 40K to over 100K in the last few months.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #922 on: July 09, 2021, 01:27:41 PM »

An entire team of administrators needs to be on this if the school is serious about competing on a national level.  The NIL division of MU athletics.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #923 on: July 09, 2021, 01:56:02 PM »
are you that naïve?  we understand the school is not giving the money, just like pre-NIL days.   Now the schools can encourage boosters to give money via NIL - what was illegal pre-NIL is now legal with no limitations (or at least ones that are seemingly enforceable).

You’re calling people naive and with stupid arguments yet you’re trafficking in opinion pieces and unsubstantiated rumors, and you’ve shown no real understanding of the nuances of NIL and what is actually allowed.  Flatly saying “there are no limitations” is just pure ignorance and hysteria.  You’re just vaguely assuming the absolute worst, with no hard facts to back it up, and using it to push a narrative that everything is forever ruined.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #924 on: July 09, 2021, 02:07:04 PM »
*Duck tales cameos

"Larry, I'm on DuckTales."

Iconic
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.