Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: What's the word on Garcia?  (Read 162108 times)

BCHoopster

• All American
Re: What's the word on Garcia?
« Reply #750 on: July 05, 2021, 04:24:19 PM »
Dawson has to go to school that showcases his talents the best, right now at MU he might be a star, any of the other schools he will not be the go to player.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #751 on: July 05, 2021, 04:32:53 PM »
Win and you get in the national media.
Otherwise you need to be an AA star like Markus.
I don't think MU would be a bad choice.
Maybe even the best one.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #752 on: July 05, 2021, 04:34:14 PM »
He gowne. Next man up, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #753 on: July 05, 2021, 04:45:44 PM »
Dawson has to go to school that showcases his talents the best, right now at MU he might be a star, any of the other schools he will not be the go to player.
i agree with this statement. However, someone pointed out in this thread or elsewhere that his usage rate was lower than you would expect for a star player. I think this was the result of him not being aggressive. He may in reality be more of a complementary player than a star.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #754 on: July 05, 2021, 05:04:34 PM »
He has some issues, the NBA saw it, not quick, slow release, no hops, long way to  go. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #755 on: July 05, 2021, 05:08:34 PM »
Patrick Williams came off the bench at Florida State, averaged just 22.5 minutes per game and took only seven shots per game. And he was the #4 overall pick in the draft last year.
Keon Johnson was a part-time starter at Tennessee this year, and averaged 25.5 mpg and 9 attempts per game. He's a virtual lock to be a top 10 pick.
Zach LaVine came off the bench at UCLA, averaged 24 mpg and under 8 shots per game. He was a lottery pick.
Devin Booker started zero games in college, played 21.5 mpg and took 7.6 shots per game. Another lottery pick.

The moral of the story: NBA teams don't care whether you're showcased in college, how many shots you get, your team's success, etc. They care only about how you project to the next level.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #756 on: July 05, 2021, 05:12:31 PM »
Patrick Williams came off the bench at Florida State, averaged just 22.5 minutes per game and took only seven shots per game. And he was the #4 overall pick in the draft last year.
Keon Johnson was a part-time starter at Tennessee this year, and averaged 25.5 mpg and 9 attempts per game. He's a virtual lock to be a top 10 pick.
Zach LaVine came off the bench at UCLA, averaged 24 mpg and under 8 shots per game. He was a lottery pick.
Devin Booker started zero games in college, played 21.5 mpg and took 7.6 shots per game. Another lottery pick.

The moral of the story: NBA teams don't care whether you're showcased in college, how many shots you get, your team's success, etc. They care only about how you project to the next level.

Ding, ding, ding
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #757 on: July 05, 2021, 05:21:24 PM »
It’s time to move on from Garcia. It’s clear the NBA has zero interest in him currently. It’s also clear that Garcia wants to “showcase” himself next year so that he can enter the draft next year. As others have stated, he needs major work with quickness, strength and athleticism. I think there’s a disconnect or misunderstanding from his camp between what he’s trying to showcase and what he actually needs to improve on.

For his sake, hope he finds what he’s looking for though. We fired the lame duck coach he committed to so it’s hard to have too many sour grapes about this one.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #758 on: July 05, 2021, 05:26:23 PM »

Bingo, Pak. Best comment I read on Scoop today.

NBA scouts know Garcia already, and they will continue following him closely no matter where he plays.

Is there a coach who can help him improve on his weaknesses better than Shaka? Maybe, maybe not. Realistically, that's the only question he should be asking himself. But lots of emotion goes into these decisions, and there could be all kinds of reasons for whatever he decides, including some that might not be totally about basketball.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #759 on: July 05, 2021, 08:15:55 PM »
When does Garcia need to decide?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #760 on: July 05, 2021, 08:43:09 PM »
When does Garcia need to decide?

NBA?  July 7.

Transfer?  Whenever.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #761 on: July 05, 2021, 08:59:48 PM »

Bingo. When Dawson led the G League combine in scoring and didn't get an invite to the NBA combine, it was clear that he doesn't have NBA big man defensive skills. That left him with the choice of trusting a first time HC (Davis or Lloyd), a coach not known for his bigs defensive prowess (Underwood & Cockburn), or a guy that is about to have sent 6 bigs to the NBA in 5 years.

Garcia was a high school star, a McDonald's All-American, and a stud Big East freshman. Then he led the G League Combine in scoring. He's never failed at anything basketball related in his life. I'm guessing they think the problem is Marquette rather than any failing of Dawson himself. But the reality is scouts saw the same holes in his game we did. Maybe he'll get that at UNC or somewhere else, but it's something he has to improve on, and just changing his environment won't be enough.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #762 on: July 05, 2021, 10:36:02 PM »

+1000.

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #763 on: July 06, 2021, 09:07:23 AM »

This is definitely true of lottery picks, and even the first round in general.  But I wonder if it's true of guys who go in the 2nd round (where Dawson is likely to be drafted in the event that he ever is drafted)?  It feels like every year there are fringe guys from the big-name schools who go in the mid-to-late 2nd round, while the "studs" of other schools/leagues go undrafted.  They may have the same questionable NBA projections, but coming out of UNC or Arizona (or UVA or Mich St) can (maybe?) get them over that draft hump. 

Or it's just a feeling I have and it's completely false, as I'm sure someone will point out.  However, it would be interesting to see the data on 2nd round picks and their origin. 

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #764 on: July 06, 2021, 09:36:45 AM »
This is definitely true of lottery picks, and even the first round in general.  But I wonder if it's true of guys who go in the 2nd round (where Dawson is likely to be drafted in the event that he ever is drafted)?  It feels like every year there are fringe guys from the big-name schools who go in the mid-to-late 2nd round, while the "studs" of other schools/leagues go undrafted.  They may have the same questionable NBA projections, but coming out of UNC or Arizona (or UVA or Mich St) can (maybe?) get them over that draft hump. 

Or it's just a feeling I have and it's completely false, as I'm sure someone will point out.  However, it would be interesting to see the data on 2nd round picks and their origin.

The NBA scouts high school kids just as much as college coaches do.  Dawson has been involved in Team USA and McD's AA.  The NBA knows exactly who Dawson is.  They probably know guys ranked 50 spots below him as well.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #765 on: July 06, 2021, 10:26:15 AM »
The NBA scouts high school kids just as much as college coaches do.  Dawson has been involved in Team USA and McD's AA.  The NBA knows exactly who Dawson is.  They probably know guys ranked 50 spots below him as well.
Did he do anything at all ith McD's, since it was cancelled because of covid?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #766 on: July 06, 2021, 11:24:27 AM »
Did he do anything at all ith McD's, since it was cancelled because of covid?

It's not about the game, it's the acknowledgement that he's a top 30-40 player in his HS class.  Every NBA team is going to do their due diligence on him.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #767 on: July 06, 2021, 02:17:49 PM »
Seems like Shaka's putting it out that defense will be stressed isn't designed to keep Dawson in the fold. Too bad if he leaves because that's one of the areas in which he needs to improve.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #768 on: July 06, 2021, 02:37:24 PM »
Dawson announcing today.
UNC, Zona, Illinois or Marquette.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #769 on: July 06, 2021, 02:50:11 PM »
Dawson announcing today.

I fully expect he'll be going elsewhere but I do wonder why he bothered keeping Marquette in the mix if it was a long-shot or his last choice.  I guess no point in burning any bridges or removing an option, I suppose. 

genious expert

• Team Captain
« Reply #770 on: July 06, 2021, 02:51:18 PM »
Dawson announcing today.

Where are you seeing that he is announcing today? I saw Rothstein said he would be making a decision "soon" but that's it.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #771 on: July 06, 2021, 02:53:32 PM »

IIRC, the roller is related to a former player. Otule. Plenty Otule. Ergo, we got this.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #772 on: July 06, 2021, 02:59:06 PM »
Where are you seeing that he is announcing today? I saw Rothstein said he would be making a decision "soon" but that's it.

Searching for the tweet ...
And it was wrong, it seems. Apologies for that.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 03:06:52 PM by Pakuni »

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #773 on: July 06, 2021, 03:59:13 PM »
I'd put it between us and Illinois. Only really following U of I people (Frazier, Luke Good, Underwood's kid) and Marquette people on Insta. Still following Shaka and the rest of the team.

That's the only (non)substantive analysis I can provide. Gonna be a weird Gavitt Games.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #774 on: July 06, 2021, 04:18:29 PM »
I'd put it between us and Illinois. Only really following U of I people (Frazier, Luke Good, Underwood's kid) and Marquette people on Insta. Still following Shaka and the rest of the team.

That's the only (non)substantive analysis I can provide. Gonna be a weird Gavitt Games.

You are way more optimistic than me. I don’t think we have much of a chance.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback