[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: What's the word on Garcia?  (Read 162275 times)

UWW2MU

• All American
Re: What's the word on Garcia?
« Reply #700 on: July 01, 2021, 01:38:18 PM »
many take trips to Milwaukee? I’ve probably lived in the Mke area too long. Why do folks want to travel to Mke? Harley tour? maybe for Summerfest? Sport fish Lake Michigan? (before Mke sewer dumps ultimately end that). Not being a smart-a$$, just curious.

I think this is a common problem for long time Milwaukee residents, they lose (if they ever had) sight of all there is to see and do.  This isn't a knock on anyone, I think it's natural... but it's good to sometimes play tourist in your own city sometimes.  Milwaukee is a perfect type of town for a small get away.  You can come for a sporting event, festival, live show of some sort (concert, off broadway show, comedian, etc), or whatever it is you're into and then make a whole weekend or week out of it.  Breweries, renting a boat or kayak on the river, museums, the restaurant scene that punches WAY above the city size, architecture tours, public market, art scene, proximity to numerous PGA quality golf courses, etc etc.

Er, and to stay on topic: This is part of why DG should stay at MU.      ::)

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #701 on: July 01, 2021, 01:47:19 PM »
I genuinely love Milwaukee but outside of the art museum is there another museum worth going to? The public museum was super underwhelming when I went there, discovery world's cool if you have kids and even for early teens but the Art Museum is the only one I'd say is worth adding to a visitor's agenda... unless they're from a museumless town
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #702 on: July 01, 2021, 01:54:01 PM »
I genuinely love Milwaukee but outside of the art museum is there another museum worth going to? The public museum was super underwhelming when I went there, discovery world's cool if you have kids and even for early teens but the Art Museum is the only one I'd say is worth adding to a visitor's agenda... unless they're from a museumless town

Discovery World, if you allow that to be called a museum, is awesome for kids.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #703 on: July 01, 2021, 01:58:52 PM »
Discovery World, if you allow that to be called a museum, is awesome for kids.

It would seem that we agree.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #704 on: July 01, 2021, 02:20:14 PM »

The Harley museum is really cool and not just for the cycles which are cool to see the evolutions they went through. Lots of exhibits on motorcycle culture, advertising etc.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #705 on: July 01, 2021, 02:26:00 PM »
The Harley museum is really cool and not just for the cycles which are cool to see the evolutions they went through. Lots of exhibits on motorcycle culture, advertising etc.

I'll second this. Not really a motorcycle person, but this was fascinating to me.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #706 on: July 01, 2021, 02:33:07 PM »
It would seem that we agree.

Pfft ... you expect me to read your entire post?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #707 on: July 01, 2021, 02:48:22 PM »
Ok, I know you have been hammered on this post by others, but other than Northwestern "in" Chicago what B1G town has more culture than Milwaukee? I completely disagree about Madison (a great big small town); so Iowa City, Lincoln, West Lafayette, Champaign....?

I don't live in Milwaukee, I'm in Colorado, and I've never meet a person who said they were going to Madison but many take trips to Milwaukee. Even people I know in Chicago like to take trips to Milwaukee, but not Madison (unless their kid goes to school there)

I think Milwaukee is a nice place. I wouldn't there (or anywhere in the Midwest) because of the climate which stinks.

Also, if you aren't white then Milwaukee can seem...parochial. I am speaking from first hand experience.

Death on call

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #708 on: July 01, 2021, 02:54:26 PM »

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #709 on: July 01, 2021, 04:18:29 PM »

Definitely.  Harley is as much an art and history museum as it is motorcycles.   Villa Terrace is definitely unique and Pabst mansion would certainly draw a certain type of tourist.  Plus uh, hello... NATIONAL BOBBLEHEAD HALL OF FAME?! 

GOO

• All American
« Reply #710 on: July 01, 2021, 04:41:02 PM »
I know that we all read vogue around here, so everyone has already seen this article, but I'll post a link anyway:

https://www.vogue.com/article/travel-guide-milwaukee-wisconsin-midwest-coolest-city

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #711 on: July 01, 2021, 05:14:21 PM »
I know that we all read vogue around here, so everyone has already seen this article, but I'll post a link anyway:

https://www.vogue.com/article/travel-guide-milwaukee-wisconsin-midwest-coolest-city
Send this link to all recruit parents
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #712 on: July 01, 2021, 09:33:04 PM »
Meanwhile in other news, DG on a visit to UNC. Quality PG in Love and Minnesota connection with Watson.  Garcia seems to be the missing piece on that roster.

Chapel Hill :/

MU82

• All American
« Reply #713 on: July 01, 2021, 09:46:41 PM »

Thanks for that link. Reminded me about some stuff I miss, and taught me about some of the new stuff in Milwaukee.

I wanted to go to college in a city that had pro sports, so no small town for me.

I learned a lot about Milwaukee starting in my sophomore year when I became a big brother through the BBBS organization. I didn’t have a car, so my little brother and I went everywhere by bus. Went to parks and festivals and Leon’s and the lakefront and Brewers games, etc.

I’ve enjoyed going back to Milwaukee for MU games but haven’t done many “Milwaukee things.” I think I’m overdue!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #714 on: July 01, 2021, 10:27:50 PM »
I live in what people call paradise, a vacation destination. World class beaches, fishing, diving, dining. Day trips to the most popular theme parks in the world.

I love visiting Milwaukee. You get a vibe an experience like no where else. Yes I’m biased as I went to Marquette, but my wife is from Southern California and my kids are Florida born and raised. They loved visiting Milwaukee. It’s just fun.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #715 on: July 01, 2021, 11:20:58 PM »
I live in what people call paradise, a vacation destination. World class beaches, fishing, diving, dining. Day trips to the most popular theme parks in the world.

I love visiting Milwaukee. You get a vibe an experience like no where else. Yes I’m biased as I went to Marquette, but my wife is from Southern California and my kids are Florida born and raised. They loved visiting Milwaukee. It’s just fun.

My kids feel the same way.  Milwaukee is cool on its own merits.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #716 on: July 02, 2021, 01:55:55 PM »
I like Milwaukee a lot.  My industry has a trade show in Milwaukee every May (the last 2 years obviously excepted), so it gives me a chance to revisit campus.  My family has been to a number of reunions which allowed us to explore places of interest in Milwaukee.  The city is so much nicer and has way more places of interest since graduation in 1991.  Everything from the Riverwalk to 3rd Ward and explosion of beer gardens and I also feel like the lakefront parks are cleaner, more accessible and open than previously. 
My wife mentioned a few times that "I think can live there."  And I have no idea where that came from?
I had one kid where university in Milwaukee was her first choice and a second where it was in her final three.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 01:57:28 PM by MU Fan in Connecticut »

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #717 on: July 02, 2021, 02:56:57 PM »
I've spent a good amount of time (anywhere from 3 months to 6ish years) in Milwaukee, Boston, Seattle, Chicago, and Indianapolis. As much as each one of those cities has some unique characteristics that I really liked, I think Milwaukee is still my favorite of the bunch and the place I'd probably live if I were to ever move.

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #718 on: July 02, 2021, 03:41:46 PM »
All we need now is for Dawson Garcia to read all of these Odes To Milwaukee and say, "You know what? I gotta go back to Marquette for another year - or maybe even two!"

Then we can win that elusive second national title and live happily ever after!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Viper

• All American
« Reply #719 on: July 02, 2021, 03:49:48 PM »
many take trips to Milwaukee? I’ve probably lived in the Mke area too long. Why do folks want to travel to Mke? Harley tour? maybe for Summerfest? Sport fish Lake Michigan? (before Mke sewer dumps ultimately end that). Not being a smart-a$$, just curious.
since I initiated the question, definitely lots of good replies. I’ll have to look into a few of the suggestions, especially-so the Harley museum. I’ll invite young D Garcia to join me. Re-up for one more, young fella!
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #720 on: July 02, 2021, 03:51:59 PM »
With all the Milwaukee talk, I forgot - How long does Dawson have to make a decision on his location next year and still be eligible?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #721 on: July 02, 2021, 03:53:57 PM »
Y'all have preemptively been celebratin' da 4th wit too many fifths. He gowne, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #722 on: July 02, 2021, 05:17:24 PM »
In the immortal words of long time Milwaukee resident, Gordon Gano..."Gone, Daddy, Gone".

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #723 on: July 02, 2021, 05:34:29 PM »
since I initiated the question, definitely lots of good replies. I’ll have to look into a few of the suggestions, especially-so the Harley museum. I’ll invite young D Garcia to join me. Re-up for one more, young fella!
Amen brother!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #724 on: July 03, 2021, 08:07:33 AM »
In the immortal words of long time Milwaukee resident, Gordon Gano..."Gone, Daddy, Gone".

Violent Femmes coming to the newly opened Westville Music Center, formerly Connecticut Tennis Center, right down the street from my home.  I'm tentatively planning to go.