Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: What's the word on Garcia?  (Read 162107 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: What's the word on Garcia?
« Reply #675 on: July 01, 2021, 09:58:41 AM »
As someone who grew up in Madison, but lived in Milwaukee for many years, I am not sure what Madison has "going culturally" that Milwaukee doesn't. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #676 on: July 01, 2021, 10:09:55 AM »
As someone who grew up in Madison, but lived in Milwaukee for many years, I am not sure what Madison has "going culturally" that Milwaukee doesn't.

Barry Alvarez holding court at Ruth’s Chris
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #677 on: July 01, 2021, 10:22:42 AM »
I've been to the two towns I listed. Milwaukee has them beat, and it's not close. The campuses are nice. The towns? Blah.

The thing is, most college students spend 90% of their lives on (or very near) campus.  Even at MU.  So I can see the allure of a nicer, sprawling campus that bigger state schools often provide.  But if you actually want to take advantage of the things a bigger city has to offer, somewhere like Bloomington, Champaign, or State College is going to be a disappointment.

Everyone has their own idea of what makes a good town/city/campus, so it's pretty meaningless to compare and contrast.  That being said, for a high-major college basketball player choosing their school, I'm guessing the beauty of the campus or nightlife in town ranks pretty low on the list of priorities - especially for a transfer who already recognizes that he's not going to get an opportunity to enjoy those things. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #678 on: July 01, 2021, 10:33:44 AM »
Milwaukee is a nice, average Midwestern city. Nice Volk, situated on Lake Michigan.

But the weather there isn't at all favorable. I also lived in Ann Arbor which has the same climate - brutal winters and humid summers. Given a choice I would take A2 every time.

B1G college towns have so much more going culturally than Milwaukee. I hate to say it but Madison is preferable to Milwaukee as a place to live.

As someone who has actually lived in both of those cities, I prefer Milwaukee, and it isn't even close.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #679 on: July 01, 2021, 10:46:33 AM »
Meanwhile in other news, DG on a visit to UNC. Quality PG in Love and Minnesota connection with Watson.  Garcia seems to be the missing piece on that roster.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #680 on: July 01, 2021, 10:48:13 AM »
Meanwhile in other news, DG on a visit to UNC. Quality PG in Love and Minnesota connection with Watson.  Garcia seems to be the missing piece on that roster.

Yeah, I just don't see him ending up back in Milwaukee.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #681 on: July 01, 2021, 10:49:05 AM »
Only four dog bus connections, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #682 on: July 01, 2021, 10:49:44 AM »

Man, that trip to UNC really decimated our front court.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #683 on: July 01, 2021, 10:54:13 AM »
Hard ta keep'em down on da farm after dave ceen Paree, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #684 on: July 01, 2021, 10:55:34 AM »
Only four dog bus connections, hey?

You talkin' 'bout the Silver Hound, Doc?

I remember the Silver Hound depot in Milwaukee was just down the street from MU. A group of us took the bus to Madison so we transited through the depot. That was a really nasty place. 

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #685 on: July 01, 2021, 10:57:03 AM »
As someone who has actually lived in both of those cities, I prefer Milwaukee, and it isn't even close.

I have to admit that Real Chili is a major differentiator.

Death on call

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #686 on: July 01, 2021, 11:07:17 AM »
Milwaukee is a nice, average Midwestern city. Nice Volk, situated on Lake Michigan.

But the weather there isn't at all favorable. I also lived in Ann Arbor which has the same climate - brutal winters and humid summers. Given a choice I would take A2 every time.

B1G college towns have so much more going culturally than Milwaukee. I hate to say it but Madison is preferable to Milwaukee as a place to live.

Ok, I know you have been hammered on this post by others, but other than Northwestern "in" Chicago what B1G town has more culture than Milwaukee? I completely disagree about Madison (a great big small town); so Iowa City, Lincoln, West Lafayette, Champaign....?

I don't live in Milwaukee, I'm in Colorado, and I've never meet a person who said they were going to Madison but many take trips to Milwaukee. Even people I know in Chicago like to take trips to Milwaukee, but not Madison (unless their kid goes to school there)

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #687 on: July 01, 2021, 11:07:45 AM »
I have to admit that Real Chili is a major differentiator.

;D

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #688 on: July 01, 2021, 11:15:51 AM »
Ok, I know you have been hammered on this post by others, but other than Northwestern "in" Chicago what B1G town has more culture than Milwaukee? I completely disagree about Madison (a great big small town); so Iowa City, Lincoln, West Lafayette, Champaign....?

I don't live in Milwaukee, I'm in Colorado, and I've never meet a person who said they were going to Madison but many take trips to Milwaukee. Even people I know in Chicago like to take trips to Milwaukee, but not Madison (unless their kid goes to school there)

Rutgers and Maryland probably count for NYC and DC if Northwestern counts for Chicago. But agreed every other one is a big small town or very small city pretty much functioning off the university.
Maigh Eo for Sam

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #689 on: July 01, 2021, 11:19:11 AM »
Rutgers and Maryland probably count for NYC and DC if Northwestern counts for Chicago. But agreed every other one is a big small town or very small city pretty much functioning off the university.
You think NYC has Milwaukee beat culturally?  ;D

Good points.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #690 on: July 01, 2021, 11:20:15 AM »
The thing is, most college students spend 90% of their lives on (or very near) campus.  Even at MU.  So I can see the allure of a nicer, sprawling campus that bigger state schools often provide.  But if you actually want to take advantage of the things a bigger city has to offer, somewhere like Bloomington, Champaign, or State College is going to be a disappointment.

Everyone has their own idea of what makes a good town/city/campus, so it's pretty meaningless to compare and contrast.  That being said, for a high-major college basketball player choosing their school, I'm guessing the beauty of the campus or nightlife in town ranks pretty low on the list of priorities - especially for a transfer who already recognizes that he's not going to get an opportunity to enjoy those things.

Brother Intro, you hit the nail right on the head. What I wanted in a college was very different than what my children wanted, for example. When my daughter lived in Milwaukee after she was graduated from SIU-Carbondale, she hated it with a passion, even though she lived right off Brady Street. Wasn't her cup of tea.

I can't think of a worse place to attend college than Champaign-Urbana. Anyplace in Mississippi, Tuscaloosa, AL, College Station, TX, Ames, IA or even Gainsville, FL may be almost as bad but, good grief, Champaign is the ugliest place on earth.

I loved Milwaukee because it was real. It was a gritty city back then with lots of cultural and social opportunities if you're willing to venture into the core of the city.

Madison, Ann Arbor, Bloomington and Iowa City are what college professors and college students wish the world was like. Milwaukee is what the world IS like.

Basketball players are wooed by facilities, coaches and the shot they might have at the NBA. The proximity to the Bucks and the ability to play in the Computing Castle is a positive. It's offset by a new coach whose system may not be to Dawson's liking and other universities with a proven track record at access to the NBA.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #691 on: July 01, 2021, 11:37:35 AM »

Have you been to Bloomington or Stillwater?  Or Tuscoloosa or Manhattan, KS?  It's pretty easy to beat all of them.
dang you gotta be a UW guy. There’s a flip side to that coin. You been to Oxford, MS? Austin, TX? Athens, GA? Sure, there are some college-town dumps. You can cherry pick all day.
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #692 on: July 01, 2021, 11:45:02 AM »
dang you gotta be a UW guy. There’s a flip side to that coin. You been to Oxford, MS? Austin, TX? Athens, GA? Sure, there are some college-town dumps. You can cherry pick all day.

Haven't been to Oxford. Austin is not a college town, it's a city with a college in it. Athens is a bit of a dump.

But your point is correct, there are good college towns and bad ones. I would have loved College Station as an undergrad. As an adult, not feeling the love so much.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #693 on: July 01, 2021, 11:49:06 AM »

many take trips to Milwaukee? I’ve probably lived in the Mke area too long. Why do folks want to travel to Mke? Harley tour? maybe for Summerfest? Sport fish Lake Michigan? (before Mke sewer dumps ultimately end that). Not being a smart-a$$, just curious.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #694 on: July 01, 2021, 11:53:45 AM »
Haven't been to Oxford. Austin is not a college town, it's a city with a college in it. Athens is a bit of a dump.

But your point is correct, there are good college towns and bad ones. I would have loved College Station as an undergrad. As an adult, not feeling the love so much.
i took a job interview in Iowa City the week of a Ohio St football game. Not a bad college town imo. Gotta luv gold&black!, but not a bad town.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #695 on: July 01, 2021, 12:23:41 PM »
many take trips to Milwaukee? I’ve probably lived in the Mke area too long. Why do folks want to travel to Mke? Harley tour? maybe for Summerfest? Sport fish Lake Michigan? (before Mke sewer dumps ultimately end that). Not being a smart-a$$, just curious.

For me anyway: Marquette games, zoo, breweries, restaurants, easier to get to Miller Park than Wrigley, visit college friends in the area, museums, etc.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #696 on: July 01, 2021, 12:28:26 PM »
Yes to all, except fishing(I don't know many fishermen) Also, some of the other fests, random concerts, Bucks and Brewers games as well as for restaurants.

I'm not trying to imply that Milwaukee is a destination like LA, Chicago or New York but people do go there. I have yet to meet someone who went to Madison for a 'get-a-way'.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #697 on: July 01, 2021, 12:34:29 PM »
I have yet to meet someone who went to Madison for a 'get-a-way'.
John Ellenson on line 1.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #698 on: July 01, 2021, 12:39:47 PM »
Yes to all, except fishing(I don't know many fishermen) Also, some of the other fests, random concerts, Bucks and Brewers games as well as for restaurants.

I'm not trying to imply that Milwaukee is a destination like LA, Chicago or New York but people do go there. I have yet to meet someone who went to Madison for a 'get-a-way'.

Plenty of people like fishing out of Milwaukee on Lake Michigan.  It’s not for me but I know more than a few people that come out of town to do it
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #699 on: July 01, 2021, 01:26:19 PM »
91 and humid in Chapel Hill and the campus is empty.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire