[Today at 02:30:34 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by MU82
[Today at 02:05:43 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: What's the word on Garcia?  (Read 162162 times)

MUCam

• All American
Re: What's the word on Garcia?
« Reply #400 on: June 24, 2021, 08:59:48 AM »
And I really doubt that some team is going to give him a two-way contract at this point.

It's his life, but returning to college to work in Shaka's system, increasing his strength and quickness on the defensive end, has to look like a decent option at this point right?

I would have to think that staying in the G League, working in an NBA style system, increasing strength and quickness on the defensive end, and not being stymied by practice hours rule prevalent in the NCAA, seems like a decent option too? All while making $35K more?

Point is, there are multiple decent options. I would think that returning for a sophomore season and blowing up, might be a better way to secure a first round contract next year, but what do I know. I can see why a player might choose the alternate route.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #401 on: June 24, 2021, 09:02:25 AM »
What's the deadline for Dawson having to enter the transfer portal again?  Isn't it coming up in the next couple of weeks or am I thinking of something else?

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #402 on: June 24, 2021, 09:02:45 AM »
I would have to think that staying in the G League, working in an NBA style system, increasing strength and quickness on the defensive end, and not being stymied by practice hours rule prevalent in the NCAA, seems like a decent option too? All while making $35K more?

Point is, there are multiple decent options. I would think that returning for a sophomore season and blowing up, might be a better way to secure a first round contract next year, but what do I know. I can see why a player might choose the alternate route.

Nevada used to coach in G league. Could be helpful to operate in his offensive system for a year here.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #403 on: June 24, 2021, 09:04:25 AM »
What's the deadline for Dawson having to enter the transfer portal again?  Isn't it coming up in the next couple of weeks or am I thinking of something else?

July 7 is the deadline to withdraw from the draft.
I believe the deadline for the transfer portal is July 1.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #404 on: June 24, 2021, 09:20:33 AM »
The thread is about Dawson Garcia and it devolved into another thread about Wojo. It is remarkable how much time is spent discussing any former coach in any given thread, not just Wojo.  It’s weird

If we're gonna talk former coaches, Rico, what about that bonehead who wouldn't put you in the game in the fourth quarter? Would have been state champions.

No doubt in my mind
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #405 on: June 24, 2021, 09:27:15 AM »
If we're gonna talk former coaches, Rico, what about that bonehead who wouldn't put you in the game in the fourth quarter? Would have been state champions.

No doubt in my mind

Story of my life 😂
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #406 on: June 24, 2021, 09:47:33 AM »

There is no deadline for entering the transfer portal. The deadline for entering the transfer portal AND being immediately eligible for 21-22 is July 1...though I think you could transfer afterwards and try to get a waiver for immediate eligibility. The deadline to withdraw from the NBA Draft is July 7.

So if July 1 comes and goes with no news, it effectively means Dawson is down to going pro or coming back to MU (I really don't see him sitting out and I'm not sure he has a case for a waiver). If July 7 comes and goes with no news, he gowne.

Personally, haven't felt confident about Garcia in awhile.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #407 on: June 24, 2021, 10:09:54 AM »

$35k is more than zero, but I would imagine his expenses would rise. I don’t think the GLeague team pays for as much as college does.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #408 on: June 24, 2021, 10:37:22 AM »
Maybe it all depends on the feedback he got, bit I'm starting to think he gowne. Radio silence after not getting the invite makes me feel that way.
Goal is National Championship

AccredoJoe

• Walk-On
« Reply #409 on: June 24, 2021, 10:40:39 AM »
Everyone keeps mentioning the $35K. Average cost at MU after discounts and such are $44,500. The athletes receive many more benefits from nutrition, to tutoring, to physical conditioning and counselling. For 99% of athletes staying in any school is a non-brainer looking at things from a life long perspective. Hopefully Garcia makes the right choice and receives the support of us all.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #410 on: June 24, 2021, 10:51:50 AM »
Everyone keeps mentioning the $35K. Average cost at MU after discounts and such are $44,500. The athletes receive many more benefits from nutrition, to tutoring, to physical conditioning and counselling. For 99% of athletes staying in any school is a non-brainer looking at things from a life long perspective. Hopefully Garcia makes the right choice and receives the support of us all.

Yes, MU tuition is $44K...but if you don't value a college education it might as well be $0. If you offer me $35K cash or $44.5K worth of paperclips...I'm going to take the cash.

This doesn't mention the reality that playing in the g-league means more time to work on his game than college offers and in Garcia's eyes, may be a better path to an NBA contract than college is...so it may be a better financial decision in the long run.

Hopefully Garcia makes the right choice for him. If that ends up being playing for MU, great.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #411 on: June 24, 2021, 11:05:41 AM »

This is overhyped. Student athletes are allowed 20 hours a week Countable Athletically Related Activities. Every student athlete is free to work out on their own after that with no coaches present. That includes weight training etc. Each athlete has a specially tailored  "voluntary" work out program.

I remember reading about the daily life of a G league player. There's not much more than 20 hours of practice in a week, and even less than that when they have many games in a week. The G league ignite for example, were  M-f 8:30-2  which included Covid testing, lunch, weight lifting, drills, and scrimmage. They were free the rest of the day and night.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #412 on: June 24, 2021, 11:16:52 AM »
Yes, MU tuition is $44K...but if you don't value a college education it might as well be $0. If you offer me $35K cash or $44.5K worth of paperclips...I'm going to take the cash.

This doesn't mention the reality that playing in the g-league means more time to work on his game than college offers and in Garcia's eyes, may be a better path to an NBA contract than college is...so it may be a better financial decision in the long run.

Hopefully Garcia makes the right choice for him. If that ends up being playing for MU, great.
And he can comeback for the tuition scholarship any time he wants, so no matta.
Goal is National Championship

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #413 on: June 24, 2021, 11:17:02 AM »
But in the G league you have a regular audience of NBA-oriented coaches and NBA scouts, and are playing exclusively with NBA-hopefuls. I want Garcia to come back but getting more educated about the G league, it doesn't sound like a bad option at all.

If Garcia goes to the G league, does he get tied up by a team for 2 yrs, so he can't enter the draft? Or would he be draft-eligible after a year?

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #414 on: June 24, 2021, 11:27:23 AM »
But in the G league you have a regular audience of NBA-oriented coaches and NBA scouts, and are playing exclusively with NBA-hopefuls. I want Garcia to come back but getting more educated about the G league, it doesn't sound like a bad option at all.

If Garcia goes to the G league, does he get tied up by a team for 2 yrs, so he can't enter the draft? Or would he be draft-eligible after a year?
https://gleague.nba.com/how-rosters-are-built/

Many types on the G league roster

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #415 on: June 24, 2021, 11:35:32 AM »

The article even mentions "Mr. Mad Ant" Ron Howard.  There's a blast from the past.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #416 on: June 24, 2021, 11:46:32 AM »

Thanks for the link. That answers one of my questions about whether or not players can withdraw from the draft, play in the G League, and then enter the draft in a future year.

Since the answer is yes, they can, I wonder if we'll see more players withdraw from the draft but instead  of returning to college, they join the G League for a year or two before declaring for the draft.

Might be an option for a player like Dawson Garcia.

AccredoJoe

• Walk-On
« Reply #417 on: June 24, 2021, 11:55:14 AM »
Very few athletes come for the scholarships. That's why when they graduate it goes out on press releases.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #418 on: June 24, 2021, 11:57:03 AM »
Thanks for the link. That answers one of my questions about whether or not players can withdraw from the draft, play in the G League, and then enter the draft in a future year.

Since the answer is yes, they can, I wonder if we'll see more players withdraw from the draft but instead  of returning to college, they join the G League for a year or two before declaring for the draft.

Might be an option for a player like Dawson Garcia.

It could be, but wouldn't that eliminate the possibility of the primary reason players go to the G League, i.e. an NBA call up?
It seems the one saving grace of the G League vs earning more in Europe is that it's a more immediate path to an NBA roster. If you take that out of the equation, what's the upside of making $35K while playing in Fort Wayne, Indiana versus $100K in Australia or Greece?

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #419 on: June 24, 2021, 11:59:29 AM »
It could be, but wouldn't that eliminate the possibility of the primary reason players go to the G League, i.e. an NBA call up?
It seems the one saving grace of the G League vs earning more in Europe is that it's a more immediate path to an NBA roster. If you take that out of the equation, what's the upside of making $35K while playing in Fort Wayne, Indiana versus $100K in Australia or Greece?
According to Some (or one), it might be  regular audience of NBA-oriented coaches and NBA scouts, and are playing exclusively with NBA-hopefuls.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #420 on: June 24, 2021, 12:01:33 PM »
$35k is more than zero, but I would imagine his expenses would rise. I don’t think the GLeague team pays for as much as college does.

Dawson would likely be the highest paid player on Marquette in NIL rights. Guessing he'd have fewer expenses & more incoming revenue if he stayed.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #421 on: June 24, 2021, 12:03:02 PM »

Yeah I don't see much reason to withdraw from the draft but then turn professional anyway.  As you said, it keeps you out of the NBA.  And your best chance at that point is to be a free agent and determine your best landing spot if there are multiple suitors.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #422 on: June 24, 2021, 01:15:42 PM »

Yeah I don't see much reason to withdraw from the draft but then turn professional anyway.  As you said, it keeps you out of the NBA.  And your best chance at that point is to be a free agent and determine your best landing spot if there are multiple suitors.

It would come down to NBA feedback and a player betting on themselves.  If they think one more year of development could be enough to become a first round pick, it might be a worthwhile alternative to college.

Maybe you're right and no one ever takes that path, but it's at least an option.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #423 on: June 24, 2021, 01:17:07 PM »
A couple days ago there was a MJS article on Carton and Garcia. Didn't see it posted here but if anyone wanted information of some kind I bet it's in there
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #424 on: June 24, 2021, 02:03:56 PM »
Didn't want to start a new thread just for this, but Tennessee freshman Keon Johnson recorded a max vertical jump of 48 inches Wednesday to break the NBA Draft Combine record in the drill.