[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What's the word on Garcia?  (Read 164532 times)

JakeBarnes

• All American
Re: What's the word on Garcia?
« Reply #325 on: June 22, 2021, 08:18:48 AM »
If they are only inviting 5 from the camp (arbitrary number), Givony has reported that Duane Washington, AJ Lawson, Aaron Wiggins have been invited. I would assume Mac Mclung will be due to his off the chart measurables. That leaves 1 spot.

Edit: Carlik Jones given an invite per HoopsHype

9 were invited last year, IIRC.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #326 on: June 22, 2021, 08:47:34 AM »
9 were invited last year, IIRC.
I thought I read somewhere the number would be 5, but as some drop out, I would assume that number will go up. I see Mayer from Baylor is going back to $chool.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #327 on: June 22, 2021, 09:37:05 AM »
I thought I read somewhere the number would be 5, but as some drop out, I would assume that number will go up. I see Mayer from Baylor is going back to $chool.

I wouldnt be surprised if it was 5. Just really have no idea from my end.

Right now from watching the games (and the already confirmed people), I'd say this is who I'd invite:

Already invited

Duane Washington
AJ Lawson
Aaron Wiggins
Carlik Jones

Who Else I'd invite
Marcus Carr
Mac McClung
RJ Nembhardt
Dawson Garcia

We'll see how it goes.

zcg2013

• Team Captain
« Reply #328 on: June 22, 2021, 10:39:19 AM »
https://twitter.com/nbagleague/status/1407360268481536004

Based off the tweet, seems like only those 4 got the invite.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #329 on: June 22, 2021, 10:40:15 AM »
I wouldnt be surprised if it was 5. Just really have no idea from my end.

Right now from watching the games (and the already confirmed people), I'd say this is who I'd invite:

Already invited

Duane Washington
AJ Lawson
Aaron Wiggins
Carlik Jones

Who Else I'd invite
Marcus Carr
Mac McClung
RJ Nembhardt
Dawson Garcia

We'll see how it goes.

Maybe its just me but is feels done...

I dont know if Dawson or DJ get the invite, Garcia played great on offense and was the leading scorer of the event, but his team went 0-2.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #330 on: June 22, 2021, 10:49:13 AM »
On a side note, this seems odd:

Adrian Wojnarowski: The NBA is forbidding team executives from attending agent pro days to evaluate prospective draftees — unless the pro days are conducted as part of the Chicago pre-draft combine in June, per memo shared with teams today.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #331 on: June 22, 2021, 10:52:03 AM »
Maybe its just me but is feels done...

I dont know if Dawson or DJ get the invite, Garcia played great on offense and was the leading scorer of the event, but his team went 0-2.

Dawson had a hard time inside when he was going up against Hunter Dickinson. Like, got manhandled. I would imagine some of the feedback is "you gotta get stronger" which comes with a year of maturity.

Out of curiosity, "it feels done" means what exactly? Like Dawson is gone? Or that the list is complete?

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #332 on: June 22, 2021, 10:57:36 AM »
Dawson had a hard time inside when he was going up against Hunter Dickinson. Like, got manhandled. I would imagine some of the feedback is "you gotta get stronger" which comes with a year of maturity.

Out of curiosity, "it feels done" means what exactly? Like Dawson is gone? Or that the list is complete?

The list, its in the mid 70s already

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #333 on: June 22, 2021, 11:02:16 AM »
https://twitter.com/BenSteeleMJS/status/1407366303086694408

No NBA Combine invite for Garcia, which seems a little head-scratching.  #mubb

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #334 on: June 22, 2021, 11:20:55 AM »
Honestly surprised. Thought he did enough to snag an invite. Guess we will hear something sooner rather than later
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #335 on: June 22, 2021, 11:23:27 AM »
Honestly surprised. Thought he did enough to snag an invite. Guess we will hear something sooner rather than later

Agree. I think the interior strength concerns were evident, but he played well on P&R and had some nice shots. A little lost on defense, but some of that just goes to playing with guys you've never played with before and not getting the right rotations. Still thought he did enough for rd 2 of combines.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #336 on: June 22, 2021, 11:25:08 AM »
He’s just not the defender he needs to be…yet. Shaka can help

MU82

• All American
« Reply #337 on: June 22, 2021, 11:30:43 AM »
I always root for the athletes, so I'm bummed for Dawson.

Selfishly, of course, I'd love to see him in a Marquette uniform for another season. And heck, even unselfishly I'd like to see it because I think a year of development under Shaka and his assistants could make him a better prospect -- perhaps a significantly better (first round?) prospect.

As an aside, it also would give us a glimpse at how well Shaka can develop borderline-NBA talent into actual NBA talent at Marquette.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #338 on: June 22, 2021, 11:35:27 AM »
At this stage, Garcia is mostly a below the rim player, even at 6’11. He’s definitely at least a year away from even being close to being on an NBA roster. Whether he thinks he can develop better in the G-League or at MU remains to be seen. In any case, wish him the best.

(Unlearning all of the crap Wojo taught him is also likely a bigger endeavor than he probably anticipated.)

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #339 on: June 22, 2021, 11:42:08 AM »
I always root for the athletes, so I'm bummed for Dawson.

Selfishly, of course, I'd love to see him in a Marquette uniform for another season. And heck, even unselfishly I'd like to see it because I think a year of development under Shaka and his assistants could make him a better prospect -- perhaps a significantly better (first round?) prospect.

As an aside, it also would give us a glimpse at how well Shaka can develop borderline-NBA talent into actual NBA talent at Marquette.

I think a year under Shaka could do a lot for him. And also selfishly make the team a bit more exciting for us. That said, was rooting for a good showing, and it looks like he had it. Hopefully he got really good feedback that will help him work on the areas scouts think he needs to develop further.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #340 on: June 22, 2021, 12:56:29 PM »
At this stage, Garcia is mostly a below the rim player, even at 6’11. He’s definitely at least a year away from even being close to being on an NBA roster. Whether he thinks he can develop better in the G-League or at MU remains to be seen. In any case, wish him the best.

Never seen a 6’11 guy shoot more layups than Garcia. Seems instinctual to me, not sure how you change that. You’re either a dog or you’re not. Same thing can be said about DJ. There’s a reason Marquette was terrible despite having 2 players in this camp and upper classmen as role players. 

I’m excited about the guys Shaka has coming in, they seem to get after it.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #341 on: June 22, 2021, 01:50:39 PM »
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #342 on: June 23, 2021, 04:29:58 AM »
Is there any good (systematic) analysis out there on what's better for NBA prospects - another year in school or the G-league? Seems there are pros and cons to both.

At any rate, MUBB will be a lot more fun to watch next year if Garcia is back.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #343 on: June 23, 2021, 07:20:31 AM »
Is there any good (systematic) analysis out there on what's better for NBA prospects - another year in school or the G-league? Seems there are pros and cons to both.

At any rate, MUBB will be a lot more fun to watch next year if Garcia is back.

I doubt that NBA prospects like Garcia give that much weight to those stats if they exist. I'm not expecting him back so I will be very happy if I am wrong. My guess is G League or another school.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #344 on: June 23, 2021, 07:24:47 AM »
He gowne, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #345 on: June 23, 2021, 07:32:09 AM »
He gowne, aina?

Well, DG's a "Wojo guy," so that's good, nu? If only we could dump Lewis and Elliott, Shaka would probably win the NCAA title this season!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #346 on: June 23, 2021, 07:33:48 AM »
Well, DG's a "Wojo guy," so that's good, nu? If only we could dump Lewis and Elliott, Shaka would probably win the NCAA title this season!

Eh, unless Shaka starts resurrecting guys that played for Al, when men were men, I doubt any of them will be good enough to be “Warriors”
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #347 on: June 23, 2021, 07:34:56 AM »
Next man up, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #348 on: June 23, 2021, 09:07:09 AM »

Na.  Lewis was a very un Wojo guy, hope he sticks.  Shaka's most pointed critiques were aimed at Greg and his fitness level. Loved hearing the accountability being put out for public consumption.   
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #349 on: June 23, 2021, 09:14:40 AM »

Dickinson is bigger, stronger, and a clearly better player. A good guy to go up against for scouts to get a read on Dawson. Also, good for Garcia to see where he needs to improve.