[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NYC Neighborhoods  (Read 5618 times)

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
Re: NYC Neighborhoods
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2021, 08:06:17 PM »
I am surprised nobody has mentioned Hoboken. There are tons of restaurants and bars and it is/was* very affordable and a short PATH ride into Manhattan.

*This is based on my now-wife living there in the late ‘90’s/early 2000’s...things may have changed since that time.

Might be worth considering.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2021, 08:50:24 PM »
I lived on the Upper West Side and loved it. Older places up there. Safe, quieter at night, lots of things to do, and 2 blocks from the 1 train.
My son just moved from the north end of Hell’s Kitchen to the upper west side. With rents as they are now, the effective rate for his one bedroom apt is about $1,750 (free month knocks it down). Heading there July 16-19.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2021, 09:21:10 PM »
My daughter is moving to NYC next month and we’re looking for an apartment for her. We already nixed one that she almost signed when we did some more investigation into the neighborhood. If anyone has thoughts/suggestions, I’d be interested.

She’s thinking Brooklyn. In looking tonight, I felt like we were honing in the Prospect Park area. Seems like a pretty decent neighborhood.

I know very little about NYC so input is appreciated. I’m particularly interested in “avoid at all costs” tips.
I would recommend for your daughter to only live in Manhattan she will get the best experience and also the most safest .
Here are neighborhoods I lived in which offer the best of the city:
Upper East Side Below 96th Street ( I lived on 75th between Park and Madison  and 78th between Madison and 5th)
UN Mid 40s East Side
Gramercy Park
West Village
Upper West Side below 92nd

Do not live in any outer boroughs . That is asking for trouble .

PM me if you want more details

Stick with Quality
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2021, 10:14:27 PM »
NYC is my idea of hell on earth.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2021, 11:32:28 PM »
I am surprised nobody has mentioned Hoboken. There are tons of restaurants and bars and it is/was* very affordable and a short PATH ride into Manhattan.

*This is based on my now-wife living there in the late ‘90’s/early 2000’s...things may have changed since that time.

My sister and brother in law live in Hoboken now.  They like it, but whereas Brooklyn is still “NYC”, especially as you stay west of the Prospect Park, Hoboken is very much its own situation IMO.  If she’s attracted to Brooklyn or Manhattan, Hoboken will be a much different feel.  The PATH isn’t bad, but it’s not nearly as nice and smooth as the subway (I know the irony in calling the MTA smooth)

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2021, 01:09:07 AM »

Good- stay away.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2021, 05:32:35 AM »

I currently live in Hoboken would not recommend for young and fresh out of school. It is great for young families but there is no action here. I know Brooklyn has a certain cache about it, but as others have said, it is just about as expensive as Manhattan.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 12:33:13 PM by Blue Horseshoe »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2021, 11:24:32 AM »
Thanks, all.

As is often the case, grown children don't necessarily follow all suggestions from their parents (or, as the case may be, from their parents' internet "friends"). Ultimately my daughter and her roommate opted to rent the bottom floor of a brownstone in the Bushwick neighborhood. A 40-something couple with three young kids live upstairs and will be their landlords. I do like the idea of having someone there who will (hopefully) look out for them a little bit. Also, they're looking for a nanny which could be great for my daughter's roommate (although not counting on that). The space is nice and they got it for a good price with all utilities included and also mostly furnished. Her commute looks pretty good. The street they're on and the immediate surrounding area looks really nice and "residential." But, it's closer than I'd like to some areas that don't look nearly as nice. She's got a pretty good head on her shoulder and several years in DC have taught her a lot about situational awareness in the city. Obviously, I'm hopeful that it will be a good experience for them and they'll love it there. As a father, I'm proud of her independence but admittedly concerned for her safety.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2021, 12:45:36 PM »
Fort Greene. Don’t think twice.

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2021, 08:22:12 PM »
Thanks, all.

As is often the case, grown children don't necessarily follow all suggestions from their parents (or, as the case may be, from their parents' internet "friends"). Ultimately my daughter and her roommate opted to rent the bottom floor of a brownstone in the Bushwick neighborhood. A 40-something couple with three young kids live upstairs and will be their landlords. I do like the idea of having someone there who will (hopefully) look out for them a little bit. Also, they're looking for a nanny which could be great for my daughter's roommate (although not counting on that). The space is nice and they got it for a good price with all utilities included and also mostly furnished. Her commute looks pretty good. The street they're on and the immediate surrounding area looks really nice and "residential." But, it's closer than I'd like to some areas that don't look nearly as nice. She's got a pretty good head on her shoulder and several years in DC have taught her a lot about situational awareness in the city. Obviously, I'm hopeful that it will be a good experience for them and they'll love it there. As a father, I'm proud of her independence but admittedly concerned for her safety.

Congrats!  I'm sure she'll grow to love it.  There are tons of people like her there and virtually every new business that's opened over the last 10 years there caters exactly to people like her. 
The neighborhood has been exhibit A for NYC gentrification and much maligned by the progressives that now control the city, but it's head and shoulders better than it was in the 90's and early 2000's.  If you google Bushwick Gentrification, hundreds upon hundreds of articles will pop up.   My 28 year old Irish grad student cousin lived there for several years when he was pursuing his PhD at NYU and only moved out right around this time last year.  Friends of ours bought a 2 bedroom condo in a converted warehouse there in 2005 and made an absolute killing when they sold it 5 years later.  SNL even did an infamous sketch on Bushwick Gentrification way back in 2015 when Kevin Hart was hosting.   I thought it pretty funny at the time, and found it on Youtube.  Keep in mind this is from 2015 and even though the area had pretty much already turned at that point, it's changed even more substantially over these last six years.  Enjoy, and again congrats to your daughter!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAsBta25OGQ

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2021, 12:23:31 PM »
Well I moved her in late last week. I really like her immediate neighborhood and the surrounding area to the North. The area to the South (starting with Broadway) is a little sketchy, but I honestly didn't feel unsafe. She and her roommate  will have to be vigilant as you always should while living in the city, but I'm confident that they'll be OK. The commute is pretty good. She's just 2-3 blocks from her station for the J train and it drops her off one block from her work (after a 25 minute ride). If she wants to go to midtown, there is a station just 3-4 blocks north of her place where the L train stops. We had great Indian and Mexican from little places in her neighborhood, and there are so many other options she's excited to try (Peruvian and Honduran are two interesting ones).

I'm still going to be a nervous dad for a while, but it seems pretty good. We explored the City on Friday and Saturday which was really fun. I'd only spent about one-half day in NYC previously (and most of that was on a boat tour circling Manhattan) so it was really fun to ride the trains and walk around the financial district, Chinatown, Battery Park and Times Square. Too bad the weather was so rainy. There are a lot of other places I'd like to see, so we'll just have to go visit a couple more times.

Anyway, thanks again for all the input and advice.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2021, 12:34:23 PM »
Well I moved her in late last week. I really like her immediate neighborhood and the surrounding area to the North. The area to the South (starting with Broadway) is a little sketchy, but I honestly didn't feel unsafe. She and her roommate  will have to be vigilant as you always should while living in the city, but I'm confident that they'll be OK. The commute is pretty good. She's just 2-3 blocks from her station for the J train and it drops her off one block from her work (after a 25 minute ride). If she wants to go to midtown, there is a station just 3-4 blocks north of her place where the L train stops. We had great Indian and Mexican from little places in her neighborhood, and there are so many other options she's excited to try (Peruvian and Honduran are two interesting ones).

I'm still going to be a nervous dad for a while, but it seems pretty good. We explored the City on Friday and Saturday which was really fun. I'd only spent about one-half day in NYC previously (and most of that was on a boat tour circling Manhattan) so it was really fun to ride the trains and walk around the financial district, Chinatown, Battery Park and Times Square. Too bad the weather was so rainy. There are a lot of other places I'd like to see, so we'll just have to go visit a couple more times.

Peruvian style chicken is awesome as are Honduran papusas.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2021, 01:35:51 PM »

Awesome to hear it. Being close to a direct train to Manhattan makes an “outer borough” seem super connected.  She’ll love it.  I was living in Nolita/Soho for a little while and had a friend who could get to me from Brooklyn just as fast, if not faster sometimes, than my sister who was in the 60s on the East side of Manhattan

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2021, 11:23:05 PM »

You wouldn’t be human if you weren’t a nervous dad!

I wish your daughter happiness, good health and good fortune.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2021, 07:24:27 AM »
I wish your daughter happiness, good health and good fortune.

Thank you, 82.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2021, 10:12:36 AM »

Glad to hear the move-in went well.  There is never a dull moment in NYC.

I forget for people who don't live close visiting NYC is not so easy.  I had three visits to NYC in June including a long weekend stay and two separate one-day visits.
If you want a an excellent walking tour on you next visit let me know.  I know a licensed guide who offers three different ones:
* Washington & Hamilton in NYC
* Secret Places of Central Park (Above 100th Street)
* Brooklyn Revolution

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2021, 10:20:12 AM »

We did get a beer at Fraunces Tavern. It was really cool. We didn't visit the museum there, but I'd like to do that next time.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2021, 10:29:53 AM »

Then Chicago must be worse then hell?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2021, 01:26:40 PM »
We did get a beer at Fraunces Tavern. It was really cool. We didn't visit the museum there, but I'd like to do that next time.

Where Washington's said farewell as General of the army and his goodbye dinner was held.  Excellent!

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2021, 10:32:12 AM »
Glad to hear the move-in went well.  There is never a dull moment in NYC.

I forget for people who don't live close visiting NYC is not so easy.  I had three visits to NYC in June including a long weekend stay and two separate one-day visits.
If you want a an excellent walking tour on you next visit let me know.  I know a licensed guide who offers three different ones:
* Secret Places of Central Park (Above 100th Street)
* Brooklyn Revolution

In NYC, or anywhere for that matter, I would recommend checking out events and activities at the time of your visit ahead of time. You can combine these with things to do and places to visit, any time. I also would recommend different things at different parts of the year based on weather. Also, it’s helpful to know how long it takes to get from A to B, and, the length of time of activity. Met Museum of Art is good all day rainy day event. Or Central Park on a warm sunny day isn’t the same as dead of winter.

Example:

We used to get people visiting for a Marquette game or perhaps U.S. Open Tennis etc or summer fun or whatever. If it was MSG, if able bodied, perhaps a High Line walk, Chelsea Piers and Market (friend worked MLB offices there).

If it was U.S. Open, take both the 7 and LIRR/Penn Station for two types of experiences. Brasilian Day Festival in Mid Manhattan and West Indian Day Parade are viable options but are in two different geographies on different days. There’s a good Art Fair going on Washington Square Park as well as a few Upper West Side block parties. Maybe there is something else someone has always wanted to do or see. And you can hit up  good places to eat depending on where you are combining activities. And much of it can be done at your own pace. If you don’t get to something or get side tracked, you can go with that. Have a few must see things, have a general list, and then in the end just go with the flow of that day.

But a little prep, and a few basic logistical things can help enhance or add to the trip.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2021, 10:39:36 AM »

it was mine too until I moved there. I didn't want to, but that's where my opportunity was. The adjustment was tough, not going to lie about that. I lived in Forest Hills in Queens and UWS. My wife and I both really enjoyed it. However, five years was long enough.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2021, 10:43:45 AM »
, perhaps a High Line walk, Chelsea Piers and Market (friend worked MLB offices there).

Visited all on my weekend stay in June.  I'll add two things the wife and visited that book end The High Line - The Little Island (just opened this spring) and The Vessel (just reopened). 

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2021, 11:45:56 AM »
Peruvian style chicken is awesome

Pollo a la brasa
Ceviche
Lomo saltado
Aji de gallina
Anticucho

I may need to rethink my lunch.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2021, 11:49:01 AM »
Pollo a la brasa
Ceviche
Lomo saltado
Aji de gallina
Anticucho

Don't forget the salchipapa
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2021, 12:27:21 PM »
Pollo a la brasa
Ceviche
Lomo saltado
Aji de gallina
Anticucho

Not NYC, but anyone who likes Peruvian, there is a place in Chicago called Tanta that is Peruvian/Japanese fusion (which makes tons of sense given the fairly extensive Japanese influence there) and its incredible.  One of my fav spots in the city.  I'm sure NYC actually has something similar if I looked.

feedback