[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Vander Blue Man Group
[Today at 07:53:14 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NYC Neighborhoods  (Read 5612 times)

StillAWarrior

• All American
NYC Neighborhoods
« on: June 03, 2021, 09:38:10 PM »
My daughter is moving to NYC next month and we’re looking for an apartment for her. We already nixed one that she almost signed when we did some more investigation into the neighborhood. If anyone has thoughts/suggestions, I’d be interested.

She’s thinking Brooklyn. In looking tonight, I felt like we were honing in the Prospect Park area. Seems like a pretty decent neighborhood.

I know very little about NYC so input is appreciated. I’m particularly interested in “avoid at all costs” tips.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: NYC Neighborhoods
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 10:09:45 PM »
My daughter is moving to NYC next month and we’re looking for an apartment for her. We already nixed one that she almost signed when we did some more investigation into the neighborhood. If anyone has thoughts/suggestions, I’d be interested.

She’s thinking Brooklyn. In looking tonight, I felt like we were honing in the Prospect Park area. Seems like a pretty decent neighborhood.

I know very little about NYC so input is appreciated. I’m particularly interested in “avoid at all costs” tips.

My brother lived in Park Slope (Brooklyn) for 7 years and loved it.   It sure seemed like a fantastic area but I believe it's gotten crazy expensive.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 10:29:18 PM »

Where is she working?  If she’s gonna be in an office, is commute length important to her?

Brooklyn is very nice.  Places like Prospect Park and Park Slope aren’t “developing” any more.  They are as nice and as pricey as many parts of Manhattan these days.  Feel free to DM if you have more detailed questions

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 06:13:46 AM »
The guy above me is probably your best resource, but a lot of Brooklyn is pretty gentrified at this point.  NYC is a pretty safe city overall nowadays.

If it was me, I'd worry less about neighborhood than being able to afford anything.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 07:24:13 AM »
Thanks for the responses, everyone.

Feel free to DM if you have more detailed questions

I'll take you up on that.

If it was me, I'd worry less about neighborhood than being able to afford anything.

Believe me, I am.

mix it up

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 08:47:19 AM »
My daughter lives in Williamsburg, Brooklyn and loves it. I've been there many times and I can see why. Safe, loads of shops, restaurants. Whole Foods down the street, lotta young people and close to the subway. Can be pricey though. She has a 2 BR w good size (for Brooklyn) kitchen and decent size LR. BR's are small and they pay $3200. I know, I know high rent, but that's life in the big city.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2021, 08:59:51 AM »
My daughter lives in Williamsburg, Brooklyn and loves it. I've been there many times and I can see why. Safe, loads of shops, restaurants. Whole Foods down the street, lotta young people and close to the subway. Can be pricey though. She has a 2 BR w good size (for Brooklyn) kitchen and decent size LR. BR's are small and they pay $3200. I know, I know high rent, but that's life in the big city.

Thank you for the response. When we were searching last night we were zeroing in on the Prospect Park and Williamsburg areas. I set the filter on <$2100 for 2 BR apartments and there were a surprising number available at that price. Some better than others. We saw one she really liked just south of the park, but I'm learning that commuting is much easier north of the park.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2021, 09:00:36 AM »

I've never considered living in NYC so I've never looked at rent prices, but if you told me 2 bedroom apartment in Williamsburg I would've guessed closer to $5,000/month.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2021, 09:24:40 AM »

Feel free to message me. (I have lived in Manhattan and Queens.) And, I have frequented various boroughs, and the Tri-State. Good luck.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2021, 09:28:20 AM »
I've never considered living in NYC so I've never looked at rent prices, but if you told me 2 bedroom apartment in Williamsburg I would've guessed closer to $5,000/month.

Actually, I've been somewhat pleasantly surprised by the prices. It's considerably more expensive than my son was paying in SLC, but it's not that much higher. As I said, there was a surprising number of 2BR/1BA apartments available in the Prospect Park and Williamsburg areas in the $2000/month range. Some actually looked pretty nice. I think all those areas looks pretty good and now it comes down to price, amenities and commute.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2021, 09:30:55 AM »
And pricing and rents in NYC should look better and may be less than anything since March 2020 or earlier.  So many NYC people have left for Connecticut they're ridiculously way over-bidding for houses that the real estate prices are up 40% in some towns.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2021, 10:00:51 AM »
I lived on the Upper West Side and loved it. Older places up there. Safe, quieter at night, lots of things to do, and 2 blocks from the 1 train.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2021, 10:11:44 AM »
Actually, I've been somewhat pleasantly surprised by the prices. It's considerably more expensive than my son was paying in SLC, but it's not that much higher. As I said, there was a surprising number of 2BR/1BA apartments available in the Prospect Park and Williamsburg areas in the $2000/month range. Some actually looked pretty nice. I think all those areas looks pretty good and now it comes down to price, amenities and commute.

That's great.  Definitely would never have guessed SLC was more expensive than NYC.  I would've guessed 1) SF 2) NYC for most expensive housing.

And pricing and rents in NYC should look better and may be less than anything since March 2020 or earlier.  So many NYC people have left for Connecticut they're ridiculously way over-bidding for houses that the real estate prices are up 40% in some towns.

Didn't think about how the pandemic probably has affected housing in the NYC area.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2021, 10:19:47 AM »
That's great.  Definitely would never have guessed SLC was more expensive than NYC.  I would've guessed 1) SF 2) NYC for most expensive housing.

I apparently wasn't clear. I said NYC is considerably more expensive than SLC...but not as much as I expected. My son and  his roommate paid $1700/mo for a really nice 2BR/2BA apartment right downtown. They have since moved to the suburbs and are paying considerably less (on a per-person basis) for a house with a couple other guys.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2021, 10:27:00 AM »
I apparently wasn't clear. I said NYC is considerably more expensive than SLC...but not as much as I expected. My son and  his roommate paid $1700/mo for a really nice 2BR/2BA apartment right downtown. They have since moved to the suburbs and are paying considerably less (on a per-person basis) for a house with a couple other guys.

Oops, misread that.

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2021, 11:19:19 AM »
Good Luck Still a Warrior!

I'm originally from the NYC Metro area (CT burbs) and moved back home after graduation in early 90's.  Lived in the city my entire adult life (first Manhattan upper east side, then Brooklyn Heights until moving back to the burbs 4 years ago.   Lived in Brooklyn Heights from 2002-2017.

Here are the best neighborhoods in Brooklyn in my opinion ranked in order

Brooklyn Heights  (By far the best, and safest but also most expensive along with Dumbo and not much going on for younger people so she may not be into it.  I wouldn't be at her age)

Cobble Hill
Adjacent to Brooklyn Heights just slightly further south.  Equally safe and almost as nice, slightly less expensive than Brooklyn Heights but not much.  More younger folks in 20's early 30's.

Carroll Gardens-
Just south of cobble hill.   More or less same neighborhood but further south.

Boerum Hill
East of Smith Street.  Very Nice, younger still, relatively safe.

Park Slope-
Very nice and safe.  Similar vibe to Brooklyn Heights but a much larger neighborhood and busier.  Also more in central Brooklyn so quite a bit further from Manhattan than the above neighborhoods. Not really a place for people in their 20's.

Dumbo-
Great views but very expensive and somewhat isolated and desolate especially at night.

Fort Greene-
Also nice and generally safe as long as you're south of Lafayette Ave. and West of Washington.

Prospect Heights-
Just northeast of Park Slope.  Lived there for 3 months after we sold our place in Brooklyn Heights and waiting to close on our house.   Very similar to Park Slope.  Safe with good housing stock.  Stay West of Washington Ave and you'll be fine.  East of Washington not so much.

Williamsburg-
Hipster Central.  Tons going on for young people.  Nowhere near as charming and more run down/industrial than the other neighborhoods but perfectly safe and very busy all the time.

Bushwick-
Also extremely hip with young people but more run down and less safe.  Much safer than it was in the 90's when no college grad would even think of living there.  Many do today, but I still say avoid it if you can.

All that said, I am of the strong opinion that Manhattan is where it's at. Especially for younger people moving from another part of the country.  Why move to NYC to live in the BK??  Live in Manhattan for a couple of years then migrate.   Many of the neighborhoods in Brooklyn aren't even any cheaper than Manhattan anymore.  Perhaps slightly more room for same money but difference is negligible.

Feel free to PM me with questions.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 11:22:24 AM by Disco Hippie »

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2021, 11:34:06 AM »
Thank you for the response. When we were searching last night we were zeroing in on the Prospect Park and Williamsburg areas. I set the filter on <$2100 for 2 BR apartments and there were a surprising number available at that price. Some better than others. We saw one she really liked just south of the park, but I'm learning that commuting is much easier north of the park.

That's absolutely true.  North and West of Prospect Park much better.  I wouldn't venture south and definitely not East of Prospect Park. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2021, 11:57:19 AM »
Good Luck Still a Warrior!

I'm originally from the NYC Metro area (CT burbs) and moved back home after graduation in early 90's.  Lived in the city my entire adult life (first Manhattan upper east side, then Brooklyn Heights until moving back to the burbs 4 years ago.   Lived in Brooklyn Heights from 2002-2017.

Here are the best neighborhoods in Brooklyn in my opinion ranked in order

Brooklyn Heights  (By far the best, and safest but also most expensive along with Dumbo and not much going on for younger people so she may not be into it.  I wouldn't be at her age)

Cobble Hill
Adjacent to Brooklyn Heights just slightly further south.  Equally safe and almost as nice, slightly less expensive than Brooklyn Heights but not much.  More younger folks in 20's early 30's.

Carroll Gardens-
Just south of cobble hill.   More or less same neighborhood but further south.

Boerum Hill
East of Smith Street.  Very Nice, younger still, relatively safe.

Park Slope-
Very nice and safe.  Similar vibe to Brooklyn Heights but a much larger neighborhood and busier.  Also more in central Brooklyn so quite a bit further from Manhattan than the above neighborhoods. Not really a place for people in their 20's.

Dumbo-
Great views but very expensive and somewhat isolated and desolate especially at night.

Fort Greene-
Also nice and generally safe as long as you're south of Lafayette Ave. and West of Washington.

Prospect Heights-
Just northeast of Park Slope.  Lived there for 3 months after we sold our place in Brooklyn Heights and waiting to close on our house.   Very similar to Park Slope.  Safe with good housing stock.  Stay West of Washington Ave and you'll be fine.  East of Washington not so much.

Williamsburg-
Hipster Central.  Tons going on for young people.  Nowhere near as charming and more run down/industrial than the other neighborhoods but perfectly safe and very busy all the time.

Bushwick-
Also extremely hip with young people but more run down and less safe.  Much safer than it was in the 90's when no college grad would even think of living there.  Many do today, but I still say avoid it if you can.

All that said, I am of the strong opinion that Manhattan is where it's at. Especially for younger people moving from another part of the country.  Why move to NYC to live in the BK??  Live in Manhattan for a couple of years then migrate.   Many of the neighborhoods in Brooklyn aren't even any cheaper than Manhattan anymore.  Perhaps slightly more room for same money but difference is negligible.

Feel free to PM me with questions.

Thank you so much for the information. I really appreciate it.

Interesting to hear you say that about Manhattan. Unfortunately, in my ignorance, I really pushed her away from Manhattan thinking it would be too expensive. Should be a lesson about offering opinions when I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. They definitely are smaller than in Brooklyn, but doable. I've suggested that she at least consider Manhattan again. Does Manhattan have that same "neighborhood" feel as some of Brooklyn areas with restaurants, groceries, etc.?

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2021, 12:34:11 PM »
Yes absolutely, but with even more grocery and restaurant options.   Obviously Manhattan is more dense and with the exception of the West Village, most Manhattan neighborhoods are much less brownstoney than most Brooklyn Neighborhoods, with more high rises, but there's tons going on all the time.

You can't go wrong with the Upper East (Below 96th St) or Upper West Side but tons of young people gravitate to the Murray Hill neighborhood (East 30's) these days.  My 23 year old niece just got an APT there in Feb and her roommates moved here from AZ and CA.  Chelsea (West 20's is also good.   Pretty much anywhere in Manhattan below 96th St will be ok, and even Upper West is fine up until 116th or so.   The West Village will be prohibitively expensive but East Village and Lower East Side less so. 

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2021, 02:11:40 PM »
Thank you so much for the information. I really appreciate it.

Interesting to hear you say that about Manhattan. Unfortunately, in my ignorance, I really pushed her away from Manhattan thinking it would be too expensive. Should be a lesson about offering opinions when I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. They definitely are smaller than in Brooklyn, but doable. I've suggested that she at least consider Manhattan again. Does Manhattan have that same "neighborhood" feel as some of Brooklyn areas with restaurants, groceries, etc.?

Different neighborhoods within Manhattan have different feels, people, atmosheres, amenities etc...from one another. I am someone that can overlap those different things. I know some people who either choose a neighborhood or refuse a neighborhood based on these things. By this I mean I have some friends who absolutely refuse to live in a certain neighborhood. And I have other friends who will almost only choose that same neighborhood. And, some prefer a variety, more like what I did. So, her likes, wants, needs, type of person she is, type of atmosphere she is are all factors for her decision.

It's not uncommon for new to NYC, or even new to Manhattan young people to move around a few times to find their niche and comfort zone.

There are a variety of good choices/places to live within NYC.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2021, 03:23:06 PM »
In 2014 I moved to the UES from Wicker Park in Chicago. The biggest adjustment was how expensive everything was. At first I was skeptical of the neighborhood, but really grew to love it. The 2nd Ave subway extension finally opened and made getting anywhere in the city quick and easy.

It is much more quiet than Brooklyn and downtown, but UES is close to Central Park and easy to get around via a bunch of Subway lines. Crime is up (everywhere), but I always felt safe at every hour. The apartments are in better condition and you should be able to get more space with a better layout.

Last June we asked our landlord about keeping our rent steady and a short term lease (rents generally go up every year). They declined so we moved to Hoboken for more space. Since then, the rent dropped $700 and it was empty for about 6 or 7 months. I think recently there are more signs of life in Manhattan, but rents haven't been this low in years.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2021, 03:33:53 PM »
Anyone have thoughts about or experience with Sunset Park area?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2021, 04:10:45 PM »

The girl that gave us the Tenement museum tour several years ago lived there and loved it.

Big help, I know.

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2021, 04:36:01 PM »

Not ideal.  It's really far from Manhattan and just not the type of neighborhood that a young presumably single, college educated professional in their 20's would likely want to live in.  It's Historically a blue collar neighborhood populated mostly by Asian and Latino immigrants.   Nothing wrong with that at all and the neighborhood has some of the best Chinese and Mexican restaurants in the entire city which we used to go to from time to time when going to the Costco there.  I can't speak to it's safety.  It's probably fine, but not as good as the other neighborhoods previously mentioned.   It's sort of similar to Bushwick in that regard but Bushwick will have much more younger folks for sure and it's closer to Manhattan on the L train just east of Williamsburg.  There's nothing wrong with Sunset Park per se, and it's definitely been less susceptible to hipster gentrification than other Bklyn neighborhoods closer to Manhattan.  There has been some in its northern quadrant close to Park Slope, just not as much.  Also beware of Brokers using the term South Slope for what is really Sunset Park.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2021, 06:07:57 PM »
Rents are way down throughout the city as a result of the covid and as an effect of the Rent Reform Law of 2019 which ended vacancy destabilization.

Manhattan Hits a Virus Milestone: Median Rent Below $3,000
By
Stefanos Chen
The New York Times
3 min
View Original

Soaring inventory and discounted rents in Manhattan have pushed the median to the lowest price in nearly a decade.
Prices will likely continue to drop in Manhattan’s rental market because of surging inventory and at least temporary changes to renter habits brought on by Covid-

For the first time in nearly a decade, the median asking rent for an apartment in Manhattan has fallen below $3,000 a month, as vacancies soar and tenants reorder priorities amid the coronavirus.

The third quarter also marked the first time in which Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens all recorded year-over-year rent declines since 2010, according to a new report from the listings website StreetEasy. The median monthly rent fell to $2,990 in Manhattan, down 7.8 percent; $2,599 in Brooklyn, down 2.5 percent; and $2,200 in Queens, down 2.2 percent.

“This is the first of many milestones to come, in terms of Manhattan’s rental market being turned on its head,” Nancy Wu, a StreetEasy economist, said about the declines, noting that prices will likely continue to drop because of surging inventory, and temporary, if not fundamental, changes to renter habits.

Of all the boroughs, Manhattan has the highest share of affluent, mobile renters, many of whom chose not to renew leases during the pandemic, and the once reliable stream of newcomers, who paid a premium to be close to Midtown offices, has slowed, Ms. Wu said.

Last month, there were nearly 16,000 listings available for rent in Manhattan, a 14-year record and more than triple the inventory in the same period last year, according to a recent report from the brokerage Douglas Elliman.

StreetEasy observed a similar surge in new listings this quarter, which helped to push the median discount on Manhattan rentals to 9.1 percent off the initial asking price, up from 3.9 percent this time last year. That translates to a median $272 monthly discount.

It’s likely that the actual price cuts are even deeper, because landlords hardly ever disclose the final negotiated rent, said Bill Kowalczuk, an associate broker with Warburg Realty. In the absence of a treatment or vaccine for the virus, those cuts are expected to deepen, he said, despite landlords’ reluctance.

“I don’t think they can believe this is actually happening,” he said. “‘How could I have gotten $5,000 two years ago, and now no one even wants it for $3,500?’”

While inventory has also climbed significantly in Brooklyn and Queens, prices there have not fallen as dramatically — and in some cases, prices are flat or rising, because of a dearth of affordable options elsewhere in the city.

In the third quarter, Brooklyn rents dropped, year over year, for the first time in a decade. Yet the 2.5 percent price decline was modest, spurred by discounting in expensive northwest neighborhoods, like Williamsburg, while rents held steady in less affluent parts of the borough, like East New York.

Even with considerable price cuts, the discounting will mean less for the tenants who need it the most. Mr. Kowalczuk warns that common concessions, like two or three months of free rent on a one-year lease, are a temporary perk, and new tenants should carefully consider if they can afford the unmitigated rent the following year.

And the coronavirus has made clear that rent relief is not proportional to need. In a StreetEasy analysis of neighborhoods with the fewest Covid-19 cases, rents in wealthy neighborhoods, like SoHo in Manhattan, dropped 4.3 percent from February to September. In the hardest hit neighborhoods, like Corona in Queens and Pelham Parkway in the Bronx, rents actually rose 0.2 percent.

Despite the considerable discounting in Manhattan, which is expected to persist for months or longer, breaking the $3,000 threshold remains mostly symbolic, since citywide, the median rent was $1,467 a month, according to the New York University Furman Center.

For weekly email updates on residential real estate news, sign up here. Follow us on Twitter: @nytrealestate.
10/23/20
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 06:30:34 PM by Mutaman »

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2021, 08:06:17 PM »
I am surprised nobody has mentioned Hoboken. There are tons of restaurants and bars and it is/was* very affordable and a short PATH ride into Manhattan.

*This is based on my now-wife living there in the late ‘90’s/early 2000’s...things may have changed since that time.

Might be worth considering.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2021, 08:50:24 PM »
I lived on the Upper West Side and loved it. Older places up there. Safe, quieter at night, lots of things to do, and 2 blocks from the 1 train.
My son just moved from the north end of Hell’s Kitchen to the upper west side. With rents as they are now, the effective rate for his one bedroom apt is about $1,750 (free month knocks it down). Heading there July 16-19.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2021, 09:21:10 PM »

I would recommend for your daughter to only live in Manhattan she will get the best experience and also the most safest .
Here are neighborhoods I lived in which offer the best of the city:
Upper East Side Below 96th Street ( I lived on 75th between Park and Madison  and 78th between Madison and 5th)
UN Mid 40s East Side
Gramercy Park
West Village
Upper West Side below 92nd

Do not live in any outer boroughs . That is asking for trouble .

PM me if you want more details

Stick with Quality
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2021, 10:14:27 PM »
NYC is my idea of hell on earth.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2021, 11:32:28 PM »
I am surprised nobody has mentioned Hoboken. There are tons of restaurants and bars and it is/was* very affordable and a short PATH ride into Manhattan.

*This is based on my now-wife living there in the late ‘90’s/early 2000’s...things may have changed since that time.

My sister and brother in law live in Hoboken now.  They like it, but whereas Brooklyn is still “NYC”, especially as you stay west of the Prospect Park, Hoboken is very much its own situation IMO.  If she’s attracted to Brooklyn or Manhattan, Hoboken will be a much different feel.  The PATH isn’t bad, but it’s not nearly as nice and smooth as the subway (I know the irony in calling the MTA smooth)

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2021, 01:09:07 AM »

Good- stay away.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2021, 05:32:35 AM »

I currently live in Hoboken would not recommend for young and fresh out of school. It is great for young families but there is no action here. I know Brooklyn has a certain cache about it, but as others have said, it is just about as expensive as Manhattan.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 12:33:13 PM by Blue Horseshoe »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2021, 11:24:32 AM »
Thanks, all.

As is often the case, grown children don't necessarily follow all suggestions from their parents (or, as the case may be, from their parents' internet "friends"). Ultimately my daughter and her roommate opted to rent the bottom floor of a brownstone in the Bushwick neighborhood. A 40-something couple with three young kids live upstairs and will be their landlords. I do like the idea of having someone there who will (hopefully) look out for them a little bit. Also, they're looking for a nanny which could be great for my daughter's roommate (although not counting on that). The space is nice and they got it for a good price with all utilities included and also mostly furnished. Her commute looks pretty good. The street they're on and the immediate surrounding area looks really nice and "residential." But, it's closer than I'd like to some areas that don't look nearly as nice. She's got a pretty good head on her shoulder and several years in DC have taught her a lot about situational awareness in the city. Obviously, I'm hopeful that it will be a good experience for them and they'll love it there. As a father, I'm proud of her independence but admittedly concerned for her safety.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2021, 12:45:36 PM »
Fort Greene. Don’t think twice.

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2021, 08:22:12 PM »
Thanks, all.

As is often the case, grown children don't necessarily follow all suggestions from their parents (or, as the case may be, from their parents' internet "friends"). Ultimately my daughter and her roommate opted to rent the bottom floor of a brownstone in the Bushwick neighborhood. A 40-something couple with three young kids live upstairs and will be their landlords. I do like the idea of having someone there who will (hopefully) look out for them a little bit. Also, they're looking for a nanny which could be great for my daughter's roommate (although not counting on that). The space is nice and they got it for a good price with all utilities included and also mostly furnished. Her commute looks pretty good. The street they're on and the immediate surrounding area looks really nice and "residential." But, it's closer than I'd like to some areas that don't look nearly as nice. She's got a pretty good head on her shoulder and several years in DC have taught her a lot about situational awareness in the city. Obviously, I'm hopeful that it will be a good experience for them and they'll love it there. As a father, I'm proud of her independence but admittedly concerned for her safety.

Congrats!  I'm sure she'll grow to love it.  There are tons of people like her there and virtually every new business that's opened over the last 10 years there caters exactly to people like her. 
The neighborhood has been exhibit A for NYC gentrification and much maligned by the progressives that now control the city, but it's head and shoulders better than it was in the 90's and early 2000's.  If you google Bushwick Gentrification, hundreds upon hundreds of articles will pop up.   My 28 year old Irish grad student cousin lived there for several years when he was pursuing his PhD at NYU and only moved out right around this time last year.  Friends of ours bought a 2 bedroom condo in a converted warehouse there in 2005 and made an absolute killing when they sold it 5 years later.  SNL even did an infamous sketch on Bushwick Gentrification way back in 2015 when Kevin Hart was hosting.   I thought it pretty funny at the time, and found it on Youtube.  Keep in mind this is from 2015 and even though the area had pretty much already turned at that point, it's changed even more substantially over these last six years.  Enjoy, and again congrats to your daughter!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAsBta25OGQ

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2021, 12:23:31 PM »
Well I moved her in late last week. I really like her immediate neighborhood and the surrounding area to the North. The area to the South (starting with Broadway) is a little sketchy, but I honestly didn't feel unsafe. She and her roommate  will have to be vigilant as you always should while living in the city, but I'm confident that they'll be OK. The commute is pretty good. She's just 2-3 blocks from her station for the J train and it drops her off one block from her work (after a 25 minute ride). If she wants to go to midtown, there is a station just 3-4 blocks north of her place where the L train stops. We had great Indian and Mexican from little places in her neighborhood, and there are so many other options she's excited to try (Peruvian and Honduran are two interesting ones).

I'm still going to be a nervous dad for a while, but it seems pretty good. We explored the City on Friday and Saturday which was really fun. I'd only spent about one-half day in NYC previously (and most of that was on a boat tour circling Manhattan) so it was really fun to ride the trains and walk around the financial district, Chinatown, Battery Park and Times Square. Too bad the weather was so rainy. There are a lot of other places I'd like to see, so we'll just have to go visit a couple more times.

Anyway, thanks again for all the input and advice.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2021, 12:34:23 PM »
Well I moved her in late last week. I really like her immediate neighborhood and the surrounding area to the North. The area to the South (starting with Broadway) is a little sketchy, but I honestly didn't feel unsafe. She and her roommate  will have to be vigilant as you always should while living in the city, but I'm confident that they'll be OK. The commute is pretty good. She's just 2-3 blocks from her station for the J train and it drops her off one block from her work (after a 25 minute ride). If she wants to go to midtown, there is a station just 3-4 blocks north of her place where the L train stops. We had great Indian and Mexican from little places in her neighborhood, and there are so many other options she's excited to try (Peruvian and Honduran are two interesting ones).

I'm still going to be a nervous dad for a while, but it seems pretty good. We explored the City on Friday and Saturday which was really fun. I'd only spent about one-half day in NYC previously (and most of that was on a boat tour circling Manhattan) so it was really fun to ride the trains and walk around the financial district, Chinatown, Battery Park and Times Square. Too bad the weather was so rainy. There are a lot of other places I'd like to see, so we'll just have to go visit a couple more times.

Peruvian style chicken is awesome as are Honduran papusas.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2021, 01:35:51 PM »

Awesome to hear it. Being close to a direct train to Manhattan makes an “outer borough” seem super connected.  She’ll love it.  I was living in Nolita/Soho for a little while and had a friend who could get to me from Brooklyn just as fast, if not faster sometimes, than my sister who was in the 60s on the East side of Manhattan

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2021, 11:23:05 PM »

You wouldn’t be human if you weren’t a nervous dad!

I wish your daughter happiness, good health and good fortune.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2021, 07:24:27 AM »
I wish your daughter happiness, good health and good fortune.

Thank you, 82.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2021, 10:12:36 AM »

Glad to hear the move-in went well.  There is never a dull moment in NYC.

I forget for people who don't live close visiting NYC is not so easy.  I had three visits to NYC in June including a long weekend stay and two separate one-day visits.
If you want a an excellent walking tour on you next visit let me know.  I know a licensed guide who offers three different ones:
* Washington & Hamilton in NYC
* Secret Places of Central Park (Above 100th Street)
* Brooklyn Revolution

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2021, 10:20:12 AM »

We did get a beer at Fraunces Tavern. It was really cool. We didn't visit the museum there, but I'd like to do that next time.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2021, 10:29:53 AM »

Then Chicago must be worse then hell?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2021, 01:26:40 PM »
We did get a beer at Fraunces Tavern. It was really cool. We didn't visit the museum there, but I'd like to do that next time.

Where Washington's said farewell as General of the army and his goodbye dinner was held.  Excellent!

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2021, 10:32:12 AM »
Glad to hear the move-in went well.  There is never a dull moment in NYC.

I forget for people who don't live close visiting NYC is not so easy.  I had three visits to NYC in June including a long weekend stay and two separate one-day visits.
If you want a an excellent walking tour on you next visit let me know.  I know a licensed guide who offers three different ones:
* Secret Places of Central Park (Above 100th Street)
* Brooklyn Revolution

In NYC, or anywhere for that matter, I would recommend checking out events and activities at the time of your visit ahead of time. You can combine these with things to do and places to visit, any time. I also would recommend different things at different parts of the year based on weather. Also, it’s helpful to know how long it takes to get from A to B, and, the length of time of activity. Met Museum of Art is good all day rainy day event. Or Central Park on a warm sunny day isn’t the same as dead of winter.

Example:

We used to get people visiting for a Marquette game or perhaps U.S. Open Tennis etc or summer fun or whatever. If it was MSG, if able bodied, perhaps a High Line walk, Chelsea Piers and Market (friend worked MLB offices there).

If it was U.S. Open, take both the 7 and LIRR/Penn Station for two types of experiences. Brasilian Day Festival in Mid Manhattan and West Indian Day Parade are viable options but are in two different geographies on different days. There’s a good Art Fair going on Washington Square Park as well as a few Upper West Side block parties. Maybe there is something else someone has always wanted to do or see. And you can hit up  good places to eat depending on where you are combining activities. And much of it can be done at your own pace. If you don’t get to something or get side tracked, you can go with that. Have a few must see things, have a general list, and then in the end just go with the flow of that day.

But a little prep, and a few basic logistical things can help enhance or add to the trip.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2021, 10:39:36 AM »

it was mine too until I moved there. I didn't want to, but that's where my opportunity was. The adjustment was tough, not going to lie about that. I lived in Forest Hills in Queens and UWS. My wife and I both really enjoyed it. However, five years was long enough.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2021, 10:43:45 AM »
, perhaps a High Line walk, Chelsea Piers and Market (friend worked MLB offices there).

Visited all on my weekend stay in June.  I'll add two things the wife and visited that book end The High Line - The Little Island (just opened this spring) and The Vessel (just reopened). 

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2021, 11:45:56 AM »
Peruvian style chicken is awesome

Pollo a la brasa
Ceviche
Lomo saltado
Aji de gallina
Anticucho

I may need to rethink my lunch.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2021, 11:49:01 AM »
Pollo a la brasa
Ceviche
Lomo saltado
Aji de gallina
Anticucho

Don't forget the salchipapa
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2021, 12:27:21 PM »
Pollo a la brasa
Ceviche
Lomo saltado
Aji de gallina
Anticucho

Not NYC, but anyone who likes Peruvian, there is a place in Chicago called Tanta that is Peruvian/Japanese fusion (which makes tons of sense given the fairly extensive Japanese influence there) and its incredible.  One of my fav spots in the city.  I'm sure NYC actually has something similar if I looked.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2021, 12:28:38 PM »
Pollo a la brasa
Ceviche
Lomo saltado
Aji de gallina
Anticucho

You forgot the most important part - Pisco Sour

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2021, 12:52:13 PM »
Visited all on my weekend stay in June.  I'll add two things the wife and visited that book end The High Line - The Little Island (just opened this spring) and The Vessel (just reopened).

Yep. Lots of newer things on that side near there as well. Then the recs expand to the next thing or neighborhood nearby, perhaps these or Meat Packing District recs. I’m partial to Brooklyn Bagel in Chelsea but there are other places too. Or I’dd add I’m partial to Pizza Suprema if walking from that side of MSG to or from the mentioned areas

But if it’s nice weather and people are able bodied, I first recommend outdoor places to see and things to do. A mix of local and tourist things. I had a friend visit once and insisted they didn’t want to go to Central Park on their visit because they had visited before and done that. Towards the end of their visit for some reason we ended up near there and went there. They asked why we didn’t do it sooner. On their previous visit it was a colder dreary time of year and the experience wasn’t the same and it didn’t have the same impact.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2021, 01:21:09 PM »
I don’t know if there’s one near her, but Bagel Pub is 🔥

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2021, 01:25:20 PM »
Not NYC, but anyone who likes Peruvian, there is a place in Chicago called Tanta that is Peruvian/Japanese fusion (which makes tons of sense given the fairly extensive Japanese influence there) and its incredible.  One of my fav spots in the city.  I'm sure NYC actually has something similar if I looked.

Haven't made it to Tanta yet, but Stephanie Izard's Cabra is another good Peruvian spot. Skews towards seafood/coastal cuisine. Taste of Peru up in Rogers Park is on a much different level but also good. Been a few years since I've been though. Used to really like Via Lima around Irving/Lincoln but the quality plummeted over the years before it shut down.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2021, 03:35:15 PM »
Yep. Lots of newer things on that side near there as well. Then the recs expand to the next thing or neighborhood nearby, perhaps these or Meat Packing District recs. I’m partial to Brooklyn Bagel in Chelsea but there are other places too. Or I’dd add I’m partial to Pizza Suprema if walking from that side of MSG to or from the mentioned areas

But if it’s nice weather and people are able bodied, I first recommend outdoor places to see and things to do. A mix of local and tourist things. I had a friend visit once and insisted they didn’t want to go to Central Park on their visit because they had visited before and done that. Towards the end of their visit for some reason we ended up near there and went there. They asked why we didn’t do it sooner. On their previous visit it was a colder dreary time of year and the experience wasn’t the same and it didn’t have the same impact.

Central Park is different in every season.  I mentioned walking tours the other day.  My wife and I took one last fall called The Secret Places of Central Park.  It's the Northwest corner above 100th street.  It's like the least visited part mainly because it is so far away from Midtown.  It was made to look like the Pocono Mountains.  There are Osage Orange trees, supposedly the only ones in the northeast.  The Central Park Swimming pool.  (Most people don't know exists.)   Revolutionary & Civil War forts.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2021, 04:22:27 PM »
Central Park is different in every season.  I mentioned walking tours the other day.  My wife and I took one last fall called The Secret Places of Central Park.  It's the Northwest corner above 100th street.  It's like the least visited part mainly because it is so far away from Midtown.  It was made to look like the Pocono Mountains.  There are Osage Orange trees, supposedly the only ones in the northeast.  The Central Park Swimming pool.  (Most people don't know exists.)   Revolutionary & Civil War forts.

Yep. The person I referenced went there in winter the first time. Super cold, not great weather.

The park is convenient for people staying at one of the many midtown hotels.  I always recommend it as a stop. There’s always something go on in and near there. Someone can combine it with something else on their list of things to do or see. Maybe one of the museums, or maybe they want to go to the Top the Rock or something.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2021, 04:36:01 PM »
We are heading to NYC  next Friday for a long weekend to see our son.  We've been to the High Line.  you recommend going to Little Island and the Vessel?

5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2021, 04:43:44 PM »
We are heading to NYC  next Friday for a long weekend to see our son.  We've been to the High Line.  you recommend going to Little Island and the Vessel?

Little Island is in the Meatpacking District.  If you go to Little Island go earlier.  It gets very crowded.  You need timed entry tickets after 12 noon.  Tickets are free. 
You need tickets for the Vessel.  They might be like $10?  It can be unnerving near the top with the openness and the height.
High Line was doing timed entry, but people were booking it at the entrance for immediate entry.

If you are looking for interesting walking tours my wife have already taken 2 of 3 so far with this one.
https://www.revolutionarytoursnyc.com/

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2021, 04:46:10 PM »
Little Island is in the Meatpacking District.  If you go to Little Island go earlier.  It gets very crowded.  You need timed entry tickets after 12 noon.  Tickets are free. 
You need tickets for the Vessel.  They might be like $10?  It can be unnerving near the top with the openness and the height.
High Line was doing timed entry, but people were booking it at the entrance for immediate entry.

If you are looking for interesting walking tours my wife have already taken 2 of 3 so far with this one.
https://www.revolutionarytoursnyc.com/
Thank you sir!

5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.