[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NYC Neighborhoods  (Read 5653 times)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Re: NYC Neighborhoods
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2021, 12:28:38 PM »
Pollo a la brasa
Ceviche
Lomo saltado
Aji de gallina
Anticucho

I may need to rethink my lunch.

You forgot the most important part - Pisco Sour

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2021, 12:52:13 PM »
Visited all on my weekend stay in June.  I'll add two things the wife and visited that book end The High Line - The Little Island (just opened this spring) and The Vessel (just reopened).

Yep. Lots of newer things on that side near there as well. Then the recs expand to the next thing or neighborhood nearby, perhaps these or Meat Packing District recs. I’m partial to Brooklyn Bagel in Chelsea but there are other places too. Or I’dd add I’m partial to Pizza Suprema if walking from that side of MSG to or from the mentioned areas

But if it’s nice weather and people are able bodied, I first recommend outdoor places to see and things to do. A mix of local and tourist things. I had a friend visit once and insisted they didn’t want to go to Central Park on their visit because they had visited before and done that. Towards the end of their visit for some reason we ended up near there and went there. They asked why we didn’t do it sooner. On their previous visit it was a colder dreary time of year and the experience wasn’t the same and it didn’t have the same impact.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2021, 01:21:09 PM »
I don’t know if there’s one near her, but Bagel Pub is 🔥
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2021, 01:25:20 PM »
Not NYC, but anyone who likes Peruvian, there is a place in Chicago called Tanta that is Peruvian/Japanese fusion (which makes tons of sense given the fairly extensive Japanese influence there) and its incredible.  One of my fav spots in the city.  I'm sure NYC actually has something similar if I looked.

Haven't made it to Tanta yet, but Stephanie Izard's Cabra is another good Peruvian spot. Skews towards seafood/coastal cuisine. Taste of Peru up in Rogers Park is on a much different level but also good. Been a few years since I've been though. Used to really like Via Lima around Irving/Lincoln but the quality plummeted over the years before it shut down.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2021, 03:35:15 PM »
Yep. Lots of newer things on that side near there as well. Then the recs expand to the next thing or neighborhood nearby, perhaps these or Meat Packing District recs. I’m partial to Brooklyn Bagel in Chelsea but there are other places too. Or I’dd add I’m partial to Pizza Suprema if walking from that side of MSG to or from the mentioned areas

But if it’s nice weather and people are able bodied, I first recommend outdoor places to see and things to do. A mix of local and tourist things. I had a friend visit once and insisted they didn’t want to go to Central Park on their visit because they had visited before and done that. Towards the end of their visit for some reason we ended up near there and went there. They asked why we didn’t do it sooner. On their previous visit it was a colder dreary time of year and the experience wasn’t the same and it didn’t have the same impact.

Central Park is different in every season.  I mentioned walking tours the other day.  My wife and I took one last fall called The Secret Places of Central Park.  It's the Northwest corner above 100th street.  It's like the least visited part mainly because it is so far away from Midtown.  It was made to look like the Pocono Mountains.  There are Osage Orange trees, supposedly the only ones in the northeast.  The Central Park Swimming pool.  (Most people don't know exists.)   Revolutionary & Civil War forts.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2021, 04:22:27 PM »
Central Park is different in every season.  I mentioned walking tours the other day.  My wife and I took one last fall called The Secret Places of Central Park.  It's the Northwest corner above 100th street.  It's like the least visited part mainly because it is so far away from Midtown.  It was made to look like the Pocono Mountains.  There are Osage Orange trees, supposedly the only ones in the northeast.  The Central Park Swimming pool.  (Most people don't know exists.)   Revolutionary & Civil War forts.

Yep. The person I referenced went there in winter the first time. Super cold, not great weather.

The park is convenient for people staying at one of the many midtown hotels.  I always recommend it as a stop. There’s always something go on in and near there. Someone can combine it with something else on their list of things to do or see. Maybe one of the museums, or maybe they want to go to the Top the Rock or something.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2021, 04:36:01 PM »
Visited all on my weekend stay in June.  I'll add two things the wife and visited that book end The High Line - The Little Island (just opened this spring) and The Vessel (just reopened).
We are heading to NYC  next Friday for a long weekend to see our son.  We've been to the High Line.  you recommend going to Little Island and the Vessel?
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2021, 04:43:44 PM »
We are heading to NYC  next Friday for a long weekend to see our son.  We've been to the High Line.  you recommend going to Little Island and the Vessel?

Little Island is in the Meatpacking District.  If you go to Little Island go earlier.  It gets very crowded.  You need timed entry tickets after 12 noon.  Tickets are free. 
You need tickets for the Vessel.  They might be like $10?  It can be unnerving near the top with the openness and the height.
High Line was doing timed entry, but people were booking it at the entrance for immediate entry.

If you are looking for interesting walking tours my wife have already taken 2 of 3 so far with this one.
https://www.revolutionarytoursnyc.com/

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2021, 04:46:10 PM »
Little Island is in the Meatpacking District.  If you go to Little Island go earlier.  It gets very crowded.  You need timed entry tickets after 12 noon.  Tickets are free. 
You need tickets for the Vessel.  They might be like $10?  It can be unnerving near the top with the openness and the height.
High Line was doing timed entry, but people were booking it at the entrance for immediate entry.

If you are looking for interesting walking tours my wife have already taken 2 of 3 so far with this one.
https://www.revolutionarytoursnyc.com/
Thank you sir!
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.