[April 17, 2024, 11:14:56 PM]

Academic All Americans by AlumKCof93
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:57 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:37 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 07:24:33 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Where are with with Morsell?  (Read 51052 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Where are with with Morsell?
« on: May 08, 2021, 03:34:52 PM »
Is he still a possibility?  I was disappointed to hear about Kario......is anyone hearing about auxiliary options that would provide immediate buckets or 25 mins per game of prime impact?

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
Re: Where are with with Morsell?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 04:26:58 PM »
I assume no decision is imminent if he's going through the NBA evaluation process like Dawson.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2021, 05:10:32 PM »
We're in it.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2021, 05:38:29 PM »

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 10:54:59 AM »
I think the NBA combine workouts are the week of 6/21
The last date to remove a name from the draft eligible list is 7/19
NBA draft on 7/29

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 12:29:54 PM »
Even with Morsell and Garcia, this team isn't going to be good.

Without them.....we're looking at Big East cellar.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 12:39:36 PM »
Even with Morsell and Garcia, this team isn't going to be good.

Without them.....we're looking at Big East cellar.

That seems a bit pessimistic considering Lewis is back, Osa's had a year of development, we've brought in some transfers that seems better than outgoing talent, and we have a coach who... you know... coaches.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2021, 12:44:20 PM »
I think the NBA combine workouts are the week of 6/21
The last date to remove a name from the draft eligible list is 7/19
NBA draft on 7/29
The last date for withdrawal for NCAA purposes is 7/7 which is 10 days after the Combine ends.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2021, 12:47:22 PM »
That seems a bit pessimistic considering Lewis is back, Osa's had a year of development, we've brought in some transfers that seems better than outgoing talent, and we have a coach who... you know... coaches.
Next year will be interesting.  It will be what it is.  Then we will have an idea of the level of floor talent and bench coaching.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2021, 12:52:04 PM »
Next year will be interesting.  It will be what it is.  Then we will have an idea of the level of floor talent and bench coaching.

That's sort of my attitude. But I certainly expect at least a slight uptick from what we saw last year
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2021, 12:54:22 PM »
Like I said before, this year will be about the process, not the final record.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2021, 01:01:26 PM »
Like I said before, this year will be about the process, not the final record.
Lets see how Shaka completes the roster before we go into Dodds mode. I think he has a couple of more moves to make and if they work out MU could be a very competitive team.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2021, 01:02:07 PM »

Definitely excited for the future.  Just don't see it next year.  Losing Carton was a pretty big kick in the nuts to next years chances of being a decent team, IMO. 

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2021, 01:11:55 PM »
If they pick up the Syracuse transfer or Dawson comes back they should be better. Have enough new players that hopefully they will step up.  Better at the center position, better back court, hopefully less turnovers. Sure Carton was spectacular at times, but for every great play he made a bonehead play as well.  Depth for a change will be good.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2021, 01:19:11 PM »
Are we better at C?  Do we have a better backcourt?  Players for the future for sure, but looking at that scholarship table, I see a ton of green and yellow, and a few things are almost always true is that inexperienced players turn the ball over more than experienced players, and inexperienced players are not always ready (especially physically).  Think Tower nails it, that it's not going to be about w/l, but about the process.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2021, 01:34:48 PM »
If they pick up the Syracuse transfer or Dawson comes back they should be better. Have enough new players that hopefully they will step up.  Better at the center position, better back court, hopefully less turnovers. Sure Carton was spectacular at times, but for every great play he made a bonehead play as well.  Depth for a change will be good.

How are we better at C? How are we better in the back court? Who is going to make shots on this team?

It wasn't 2020-21 Carton I was excited about.  If we got the same guy next season - sure its a nice high major player, but we're probably not a great team.  But with Carton taking the next step - he was plenty talented enough to carry this team and there is enough support around him to be a tourney team.  But....alas, he's gone.

I hope Dawson returns and Morsell comes, or we pick up another nice piece or two.  Just don't think we're going to be watching Marquette in March next year, which sucks.  But brighter days are ahead - I get it.  I just admittedly have lost my patience.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2021, 01:58:27 PM »
I believe we are better off without Carton. You cannot rely on a player that plays with so little effort for too much of the game.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2021, 02:02:39 PM »
Is he still a possibility?  I was disappointed to hear about Kario......is anyone hearing about auxiliary options that would provide immediate buckets or 25 mins per game of prime impact?
Just a tiny bit of info would help, as in a nugget of information, or a morsel of news.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2021, 02:03:36 PM »
I believe we are better off without Carton. You cannot rely on a player that plays with so little effort for too much of the game.

Oof. This is a hot take, even for scoop takes
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2021, 02:18:50 PM »
It's funny, I've talked to two people within MU Athletics about DJC.  One felt it was a big and unexpected blow, one said totally predictable.

I'm guessing, like with everything, the truth is somewhere in the middle.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2021, 02:24:15 PM »
It's funny, I've talked to two people within MU Athletics about DJC.  One felt it was a big and unexpected blow, one said totally predictable.

I'm guessing, like with everything, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

The impression I've gotten is that when D.J. arrived it was known that he was only planning on staying for one season before going pro. Over time, D.J. had seemed to change his tune, especially after Shaka was hired. So it was expected in the sense that it was always the plan but unexpected because D.J. had seemed to change his mind.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2021, 02:35:44 PM »

Ridiculous.

It wasn't 2020-21 Carton I was excited about.  If we got the same guy next season - sure its a nice high major player, but we're probably not a great team.  But with Carton taking the next step - he was plenty talented enough to carry this team and there is enough support around him to be a tourney team.  But....alas, he's gone.

A small but not insignificant minority of Scoopers seem to assume that players don't improve.

In the fairly recent past, they watched guys like Vander, Junior, Jimmy, Jae, Mo, Wes, JJJ, Sacar, Jamal and Greg improve from one year to the next -- improve significantly in some of those cases -- and yet it doesn't dawn on them that DJ might have gotten better next season with a better team around him and a better coaching staff.

I guess it's easier to tear somebody down to make themselves feel better.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2021, 03:07:19 PM »

Oof. This is a hot take, even for scoop takes

We may not be better without him but will we really be that much worse?   Let’s not forget how bad we were last season with these elite, can’t lose them players.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2021, 03:08:44 PM »

lol.

No. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2021, 03:12:14 PM »
We may not be better without him but will we really be that much worse?   Let’s not forget how bad we were last season with these elite, can’t lose them players.

We had 3 high major players last season.  Losing one of those three makes us much worse, yes.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

feedback