[Today at 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[Today at 07:48:11 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 05:47:31 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Where are with with Morsell?  (Read 51323 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Where are with with Morsell?
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2021, 06:22:47 AM »
Hoo kares? Next dude up, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2021, 07:24:41 AM »
Agree. I liked the kid but he didn’t play to win. He was invisible or a turn over machine for too minutes each game. When he would play hard it seemed to be for his personal highlight tape. I am excited about our chances to play better next season with a much better game coach and plenty of great talent.

This is quite the indictment of a young man’s character, and I strongly disagree. I used to feel this way…about my own son. I was fixed minded and mentally weak. Not saying you are, I’m saying I was. Also, DJ has a discussed history with mental health issues, I’m sure that took a toll on him at some point.

DJ busted his ass on both ends of the court and was clearly the only elite talent on the team. He was clearly the most elite player on the court at any given time. A player who plays at his pace with teammates that are perhaps less talented and don’t have his motor will lead to the observations you make. Yeah, he turned it over on offense, it’s difficult to do it all. Yeah, he looked gassed at times, it’s difficult to do it all. Yeah, he struggled with his shot, some is mechanics and some is…you guessed it…it’s difficult to do it all.

There was no depth, there was little putting him in a spot to succeed, there was no one with his talent to keep up. I think he is a success professionally, at least I sincerely hope he is.

Kid has talent and heart.

I think we are better next year, but it absolutely isn’t due to losing DJ. We would be even better with him.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2021, 07:25:45 AM »
https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/college/maryland/LongFormArticle/Terps-basketball-Mark-Turgeon-believes-Darryl-Morsells-leaning-heavily-toward-one-option-164727119/Amp/

Back to Morsell, this recent interview with Turgeon mentions that he just had surgery (shoulder?) and wouldn’t even be shooting a ball until July.  Since the NBA combine is in June, I’d suspect that the draft isn’t what will determine his decision timeline.

Just gonna skip over the fact that Turgeon also said he thinks Morsell is probably going pro rather than playing college basketball next year?

Sounds like this ship has sailed.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2021, 07:45:31 AM »
Just gonna skip over the fact that Turgeon also said he thinks Morsell is probably going pro rather than playing college basketball next year?

Nope
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2021, 07:58:48 AM »

I'm not putting too much stock into Turgeon's comments on his future, as I could see Morsell playing it pretty close to the vest if he actually intends to transfer (particularly to follow an assistant who just dumped Turgeon for Shaka). 

My main interest in the article is the recovery timeline comments that Turgeon made - if Morsell can't shoot a ball until July, he likely won't participate in June's combine, so I'd think his draft prospects are pretty low.  Even his international prospects may be limited if he's still rehabbing in the late summer/fall.  Another year in college may make the most sense for him. 

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2021, 11:00:13 AM »
I think plenty of people, myself included, have heard rumblings that Morsell will be eventually coming to MU. He's a great defensive player and would be a great fit for Shaka's philosophy. That being said, kind of a bummer that him alone won't change next years expectations at all. With or without him, we're not a tournament team. Got to hope that a Morsell type of player helps build a consistent message and game plan for the younger players to carry forward in years to come.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2021, 11:07:15 AM »
Why can they not make the tourney? More talent then last year, and hopefully better coaching, but not sure yet about that, have to see how he handles 13 players, that is not easy

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2021, 11:44:16 AM »
Why can they not make the tourney? More talent then last year, and hopefully better coaching, but not sure yet about that, have to see how he handles 13 players, that is not easy

You seem awfully convinced that we'll be better in 21-22 than 20-21, is it just some extreme anti Wojo thing?  As it currently stands we have 10 underclassmen (w/ Garcia), so on top of no one playing with any of the Freshman before, and no one playing with OMP, Kolek, or Kur before, every single player will be learning a new system.  You can say that there is more pure basketball talent out there (which is debatable IMO), but I anticipate some extreme growing pains with all the new pieces/new system.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2021, 02:25:37 PM »
do people think were in on Morsell because we hired Deandre Haynes? Bino Ranson got Morsell to MD...

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2021, 02:35:20 PM »
do people think were in on Morsell because we hired Deandre Haynes? Bino Ranson got Morsell to MD...

To the former, in part yes. To the latter, that doesn't mean he doesn't have a great relationship with Haynes. I would point you to the opening quote of this article: http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2021/04/the-home-run-hire.html

There's plenty of reason to believe we are a serious potential landing spot for Morsell and Haynes is certainly part of that rationale.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2021, 02:53:10 PM »
To the former, in part yes. To the latter, that doesn't mean he doesn't have a great relationship with Haynes. I would point you to the opening quote of this article: http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2021/04/the-home-run-hire.html

There's plenty of reason to believe we are a serious potential landing spot for Morsell and Haynes is certainly part of that rationale.

great article Brew, appreciate you sharing!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2021, 03:06:58 PM »
great article Brew, appreciate you sharing!

Thanks! I really like the Haynes hire and whether Morsell ends up here or not I think he will be a big help for our young guards. But I wouldn't discount his relationship with Morsell, he has proven an able and rapid relationship-builder wherever he's been.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2021, 03:55:00 PM »
You seem awfully convinced that we'll be better in 21-22 than 20-21, is it just some extreme anti Wojo thing?  As it currently stands we have 10 underclassmen (w/ Garcia), so on top of no one playing with any of the Freshman before, and no one playing with OMP, Kolek, or Kur before, every single player will be learning a new system.  You can say that there is more pure basketball talent out there (which is debatable IMO), but I anticipate some extreme growing pains with all the new pieces/new system.

The sum can be made into the greater of its parts, it's not impossible or even improbable. If Shaka is the home run hire many believe, we should at least be in contention for a bid down the stretch.

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2021, 04:24:28 PM »
This is quite the indictment of a young man’s character, and I strongly disagree.

DJ busted his ass on both ends of the court and was clearly the only elite talent on the team. He was clearly the most elite player on the court at any given time. A player who plays at his pace with teammates that are perhaps less talented and don’t have his motor will lead to the observations you make. Yeah, he turned it over on offense, it’s difficult to do it all. Yeah, he looked gassed at times, it’s difficult to do it all. Yeah, he struggled with his shot, some is mechanics and some is…you guessed it…it’s difficult to do it all.

I actually really like DJ, but we must have been watching different games.  He absolutely did not bust his ass on both ends of the court and I never saw him looked gassed, because he never went full throttle very long to get to that point.  I saw him look very indifferent for much of the game and the fact that so many MU fans also saw the same thing, makes it quite interesting that many others supposedly did not see it.  He seems like a good kid and I hope he has post-collegiate success and there was definitely part of me that was wondering how he was going to do under a better coach, but unfortunately we won't get to see that happen.   

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2021, 05:44:32 PM »
This is quite the indictment of a young man’s character, and I strongly disagree. I used to feel this way…about my own son. I was fixed minded and mentally weak. Not saying you are, I’m saying I was. Also, DJ has a discussed history with mental health issues, I’m sure that took a toll on him at some point.

There was no depth, there was little putting him in a spot to succeed, there was no one with his talent to keep up. I think he is a success professionally, at least I sincerely hope he is.

Kid has talent and heart.

I think we are better next year, but it absolutely isn’t due to losing DJ. We would be even better with him.

Disagree. He needs to work on his ball handling and weak passing. And soft defense. And playing all out for a whole game. He doesn't play to win.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2021, 05:59:26 PM »
The sum can be made into the greater of its parts, it's not impossible or even improbable. If Shaka is the home run hire many believe, we should at least be in contention for a bid down the stretch.

I agree that a team can be greater than the sum of its parts.

I agree that Shaka is a home run hire who will make the the team greater than sum of its parts.

Where I'm not certain I agree (at the moment) is that if the first parts are true, that this necessarily means that we will be in contention for an NCAA bid. If we don't add any more players to the roster and Dawson doesn't come back, I think the sum of the parts is sub-500 team. If Shaka gets that group to the tournament then either he has an excellent eye for undervalued talent or  is an in game coaching savant (or both).

Fortunately, we're not done recruiting and I don't think Dawson has decided either way at this point.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2021, 07:34:10 PM »
Shaka tonight said he is still recruiting.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2021, 08:38:28 PM »

We've reached out to basically every top transfer that has declared in the past few weeks

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2021, 08:47:52 PM »
He has to, because the team is going to be bad as it stands now.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2021, 09:12:07 AM »
The fear in my opinion with us being bad next year is that players like Justin Lewis or other unforeseen good players leave after a disappointing campaign and it becomes a repetitive cycle like at Georgetown.  Need Shaka to coach em up and exceed expectations so that cycle does not start. 

hawk

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2021, 10:25:38 AM »
I think if Garcia comes back MU has a ice group in the power slots,Garcia,Lewis and Kuath.  You could have Igadoro,Joplinn and Ellis at the 3 spot and you have Elliot, Kolek and ones at the 2.  Smart needs a proven point guard to protect and nurture Mitchel.  Overall I think MU has real good talent and having 13 players is awesome.  I just don't see a spot for Perez to get minutes

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2021, 10:47:47 AM »
Could be wrong but I think Ellis is more of a combo guard than a 3. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2021, 10:49:34 AM »
Could be wrong but I think Ellis is more of a combo guard than a 3.

And Oso and Joplin are closer to 5s than 3s.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2021, 11:57:28 AM »
He has to, because the team is going to be bad as it stands now.

Why so negative bil? Shaka's recruited a lot of good talent?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2021, 02:03:33 PM »
Why so negative bil? Shaka's recruited a lot of good talent?

Experience matters.
Physical strength matters.
Which are the two things freshmen lack.