collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2021-2022 NFL Season  (Read 270302 times)

cheebs09

• All American
Re: 2021-2022 NFL Season
« Reply #4100 on: January 27, 2022, 11:07:27 AM »
I know the popular narrative is that Rodgers can pick and choose where he goes. The reality is Rodgers is under contract with the packers for 2022 and the Packers decide where he goes. Rodgers only choices are if he wants to play or not. If say, the Raiders come up with a significantly better package than Broncos, the Packers are trading him to the Raiders. As far as Rodgers and Adams going to the same team? It is highly unlikely any team would have that much draft capital to get that done without destroying their team.

I thought that was part of the “new contract.” That he had some say where he’d go. Unless that was some misinformation.

He could theoretically threaten to hold out for any team that isn’t the Broncos.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #4101 on: January 27, 2022, 11:15:37 AM »
I know the popular narrative is that Rodgers can pick and choose where he goes. The reality is Rodgers is under contract with the packers for 2022 and the Packers decide where he goes. Rodgers only choices are if he wants to play or not. If say, the Raiders come up with a significantly better package than Broncos, the Packers are trading him to the Raiders. As far as Rodgers and Adams going to the same team? It is highly unlikely any team would have that much draft capital to get that done without destroying their team.

Rodgers has way more leverage than you are stating here.  In the above scenario, all he would have to do is say "I'm not going to the Raiders," and the deal is off.

If Rodgers says "I would like to play for Denver or else I am going to retire," the Packers would try to make that work.  You want to get draft picks for the guy or do you want to get nothing out of spite?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #4102 on: January 27, 2022, 11:16:00 AM »
I thought that was part of the “new contract.” That he had some say where he’d go. Unless that was some misinformation.

He could theoretically threaten to hold out for any team that isn’t the Broncos.
The only agreement they had was to revisit at the end of the year. Why would the Packers put themselves at such a leverage disadvantage. He could hold out, but unlikely.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4103 on: January 27, 2022, 11:26:52 AM »
I don't understand why people would be excited about the new GM hire, then criticize his first big decision.  Can anyone actually articulate a reason why the Bears shouldn't hire Eberflus?

I'm not crazy about the Tampa 2.  His defense gave up 26 points and could stop the terrible Jaguars in a put up or shut up game to make the playoffs to end the season.  Looking at the advanced statistics and rankings, his defense didn't do much to wow me this past season.

My buddy who is a Colts fan was hoping he got a HC job cause he was sick of him and Colts fans wont be super upset that he's leaving.

Hopefully Poles and Eberflus together have some ideas about offense and an OC.  Also, I'm not entirely sure that Poles having "total control of the coach selection" didn't mean he had full control...from the list of 3 the Bears put together

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #4104 on: January 27, 2022, 11:35:28 AM »
I don't understand why people would be excited about the new GM hire, then criticize his first big decision.  Can anyone actually articulate a reason why the Bears shouldn't hire Eberflus?

Two words: Justin Fields

Defense isn’t the Bears’ problem. Getting a creditable offense is.

Same old Bears. Should be renamed the Chicago Dinosaurs.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #4105 on: January 27, 2022, 11:44:02 AM »

Rodgers has way more leverage than you are stating here.  In the above scenario, all he would have to do is say "I'm not going to the Raiders," and the deal is off.

If Rodgers says "I would like to play for Denver or else I am going to retire," the Packers would try to make that work.  You want to get draft picks for the guy or do you want to get nothing out of spite?
Of course the Packers would try to make that work, but they are not going to be strong armed into taking significantly less. It has nothing to do with spite. They will get the best deal they can. Under your scenario the Packers would call his bluff just like they did this year. 

The most likely scenario is Rodgers is back next year and they extend him another 2.

• All American
« Reply #4106 on: January 27, 2022, 11:48:28 AM »
I'm not crazy about the Tampa 2.  His defense gave up 26 points and could stop the terrible Jaguars in a put up or shut up game to make the playoffs to end the season.  Looking at the advanced statistics and rankings, his defense didn't do much to wow me this past season.

This is reasonable.

This is not.  There have been plenty of defensive head coaches who have seen young quarterbacks thrive with the right offensive coaching staff.  Look at Josh Allen in Buffalo.  Russell Wilson in Seattle. 

They just had a great young offensive mind - and he stunk.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #4107 on: January 27, 2022, 11:49:06 AM »
Of course the Packers would try to make that work, but they are not going to be strong armed into taking significantly less. It has nothing to do with spite. They will get the best deal they can. Under your scenario the Packers would call his bluff just like they did this year. 

The most likely scenario is Rodgers is back next year and they extend him another 2.

I agree with you that they won't be strong armed into taking significantly less. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4109 on: January 27, 2022, 12:03:08 PM »

Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, Phil Rivers, Josh Allen and Russell Wilson all agree that it's impossible for a QB to develop under a head coach who came from the defensive side of the ball.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #4110 on: January 27, 2022, 12:07:48 PM »

Funny that the Jaguars wanted him to interview for their HC position. Not that Jacksonville is the gold standard for NFL franchises but my understanding is he is thought of highly in the NFL.

That said, it is not an exciting hire and the Bears need to bring in top caliber OC and QB coaches. The Bears have major talent issues and not a lot of draft picks due to Pace. I don't see the Bears being a contender for many years.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4111 on: January 27, 2022, 12:19:24 PM »
Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, Phil Rivers, Josh Allen and Russell Wilson all agree that it's impossible for a QB to develop under a head coach who came from the defensive side of the ball.

The only difference is only 1 of those QBs was under a first time HC.  Brady was under BB.  Big Ben had a few years and won a SB under Cowher before Tomlin came on.  Rivers was under Schottenheimer who had been a HC for decades and Wilson was under Carroll who had plenty of HC experience by that point too.  They weren't offensive minds, but they had experience selecting and managing offensive minds under their leadership.

If Eberflus brings in a Daboll like in Buffalo, then its a non issue.  So thats the biggest interest point going forward right now.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4112 on: January 27, 2022, 01:52:20 PM »
The only difference is only 1 of those QBs was under a first time HC.
So, after spending the last couple of weeks railing against the Bears over the potential hire of a previous head coach like Caldwell, the problem with Eberflus is that he's a first-time HC?
Damned if you do ...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4113 on: January 27, 2022, 02:06:33 PM »
If Aaron Rodgers thinks he's going to go to the AFC and outduel Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, Justin Herbert, and Lamar Jackson when he can't even outplay a banged up Jimmy Goropolo, more power to him.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4114 on: January 27, 2022, 02:08:25 PM »
So, after spending the last couple of weeks railing against the Bears over the potential hire of a previous head coach like Caldwell, the problem with Eberflus is that he's a first-time HC?
Damned if you do ...

Man you really have to have an issue with EVERY one of my NFL takes.  And seem intent on trying to parse them down to the most easily ridiculed point, not to mention exaggerating.

"Railing for weeks"..I made 2 posts pertaining to Caldwell.  1 was not liking a list that had 2 retreads in their 60s (Frazier and Caldwell) and a DC that I wasn't at all enthused with (Eberflus).  It spoke to a mentality that didn't seem like they wanted to prioritize their most important young piece.  I later said Caldwell was the most palatable of those options if he had an interesting OC.

Then, in response to your upteenth snarky comment about defensive coaches not being able to mold a young QB, I pointed out that only 1 situation you mentioned had a first time defensive background HC.  By the time the rest of those guys got their young QBs, they were HCs through and through, not recently converted DCs.  Thats not shifting goalposts, its facts.

I literally laid out my issues with Eberflus in a previous post.  But keep being contrarian for effect

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4115 on: January 27, 2022, 02:22:11 PM »
I literally laid out my issues with Eberflus in a previous post.  But keep being contrarian for effect

Well, I wasn't going to point this out earlier, but since you insist ... contrary to your earlier post, Bill Belichick was not a first-time head coach when Brady played for him.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4116 on: January 27, 2022, 02:32:37 PM »
Well, I wasn't going to point this out earlier, but since you insist ... contrary to your earlier post, Bill Belichick was not a first-time head coach when Brady played for him.

You misread.  I was listing the QBs and the non first time HCs they played under, alluding to Allen and McDermott being the 1.  Brady was under BB, Big Ben under Cowher, etc...

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #4117 on: January 27, 2022, 02:37:01 PM »
If Aaron Rodgers thinks he's going to go to the AFC and outduel Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, Justin Herbert, and Lamar Jackson when he can't even outplay a banged up Jimmy Goropolo, more power to him.

This is precisely why the time to move him is now if you’re the packers
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #4118 on: January 27, 2022, 05:14:20 PM »
Broncos got picks.

I'm not interested in picks beyond this year because if Rodgers and Adams end up there, those are late first rounders.

No thanks.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #4119 on: January 27, 2022, 05:19:17 PM »
This is precisely why the time to move him is now if you’re the packers

Aaron Rodgers and this year's 2nd round pick for Justin Herbert.

Keep Adams... win Super Bowl.

Laugh hysterically, forever.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4120 on: January 27, 2022, 06:13:56 PM »
Aaron Rodgers and this year's 2nd round pick for Justin Herbert.

Keep Adams... win Super Bowl.

Laugh hysterically, forever.

Why would the Chargers trade their young franchise QB who just made a Pro Bowl for 1 or 2 seasons of an aging QB and a late second rounder?  All of their best skill players are under 30. Their window isn’t closing

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #4121 on: January 27, 2022, 09:00:44 PM »
Why would the Chargers trade their young franchise QB who just made a Pro Bowl for 1 or 2 seasons of an aging QB and a late second rounder?  All of their best skill players are under 30. Their window isn’t closing

No idea why the Chargers would do it, but pretty sure the Packers would say yes.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #4122 on: January 28, 2022, 05:56:33 AM »

Because it's a joke.   ;D

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #4123 on: January 28, 2022, 10:00:34 AM »
Getsy might wind up as Bears OC.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #4124 on: January 28, 2022, 11:22:31 AM »
Getsy might wind up as Bears OC.

I think GB might give him the OC job to keep him.