collapse

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 03:31:34 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2021-2022 NFL Season  (Read 270093 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: 2021-2022 NFL Season
« Reply #375 on: July 24, 2021, 10:09:05 PM »
My guess is that Blake Bortals will be the starting the first few games . Keeps the pressure off Love that way. Haven’t looked at the schedule but Bortals can keep can probably keep the team competitive

If Bortals sucks , then Love gets a chance under theory of why not try him out .
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #376 on: July 25, 2021, 07:57:36 AM »
My guess is that Blake Bortals will be the starting the first few games . Keeps the pressure off Love that way. Haven’t looked at the schedule but Bortals can keep can probably keep the team competitive

If Bortals sucks , then Love gets a chance under theory of why not try him out .

What evidence is there that a terrible QB can keep the team competitive?

I would posit that there is none.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #377 on: July 25, 2021, 08:38:22 AM »
NFL players in vaccination process now up to 80%

From the AP:

The number of NFL players in the COVID-19 vaccination process has reached 80%, with nine teams having 90% or more of their players in that category.

Dr. Allen Sills, the league’s medical director, said Friday that nearly all Tier 1 and Tier 2 team employees — those who deal directly with players — have been vaccinated. Five teams are at less than 70% of players who have either received one vaccination shot or both. He is optimistic the number of vaccinated players will continue to rise as training camps open.

“I think we are off to an excellent start,” Sills said. “Those numbers are much higher than what we’re seeing in society as a whole. There has been a lot of movement in that area. As you see players coming to training camp, you will see more players beginning that process (of vaccination).”

Sills cited teams having strong advocates for vaccination among players and coaches, as well as the educational materials available.

“What matters is that individuals have the most accurate information," Sills said. "Let’s not get information from Instagram or Facebook posts. Let’s try to hear from the most reputable professionals. You don’t shout anyone into belief here — there have to be thoughtful conversations. What we can do is provide the facts and make sure the entirety of the medical facts are presented.”
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #378 on: July 25, 2021, 09:39:11 AM »
What evidence is there that a terrible QB can keep the team competitive?

I would posit that there is none.

Blake Bortles isn't a terrible QB.  He completes at a decent clip, he is big, and has a decent TD/INT ratio.  The Packers could do a lot worse than BB.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #379 on: July 25, 2021, 10:55:02 AM »
Blake Bortles isn't a terrible QB.  He completes at a decent clip, he is big, and has a decent TD/INT ratio.  The Packers could do a lot worse than BB.

103-75 is NOT a decent TD/INT rate. In fact, it is terrible. His completion rate is in the 50's. Again, that is terrible in today's NFL. He was cut by a team with an awful starting QB. He was also cut by the Broncos. He was cut by the Rams.

Bortles is the very definition of terrible. If he is the QB for the Packers this year, they will finish behind the Lions.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #380 on: July 25, 2021, 11:02:47 AM »
I have seen zero remorse from Watson. I have been a Packers fan for life and there would be a big hole if I stopped being a fan cuz the Packers decided to go with an unrepentant se Hal criminal.

Maybe then they could get a rapist to replace a selfish Davante Adams.

Watson is in the midst of an ongoing investigation.  He is not scheduled to be deposed until early 2022.  If he has a legitimate case, coming out and showing remorse and/or asking for forgiveness would be extremely detrimental to his case, both criminally and civilly.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #381 on: July 25, 2021, 01:14:45 PM »
103-75 is NOT a decent TD/INT rate. In fact, it is terrible. His completion rate is in the 50's. Again, that is terrible in today's NFL. He was cut by a team with an awful starting QB. He was also cut by the Broncos. He was cut by the Rams.

Bortles is the very definition of terrible. If he is the QB for the Packers this year, they will finish behind the Lions.

59.3 for his career.  Name me a good player he played with, I'll wait.  Not to mention he was at a mess of an organization for most of his career.  The Packers could and have done a lot worse.  Remember Brett Hundley?  Scott Tolzein?  Seneca Wallace?  We were going to go with DeShone Kizer... remember that?

Bortles is better than every single one of those guys, and its not even close.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #382 on: July 25, 2021, 01:48:53 PM »
59.3 for his career.  Name me a good player he played with, I'll wait.  Not to mention he was at a mess of an organization for most of his career.  The Packers could and have done a lot worse.  Remember Brett Hundley?  Scott Tolzein?  Seneca Wallace?  We were going to go with DeShone Kizer... remember that?

Bortles is better than every single one of those guys, and its not even close.

Who said we were going to win with Kizer. He was acquired as a backup. As a matter of fact, all the guys you mentioned were acquired to be backups. Not one was an NFL caliber QB.

Being better than those guys is not the compliment you think it is.

If Bortles is our QB, we will finish last and Gutey and Murphy will be gone by next year.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #383 on: July 25, 2021, 01:57:08 PM »
Who said we were going to win with Kizer. He was acquired as a backup. As a matter of fact, all the guys you mentioned were acquired to be backups. Not one was an NFL caliber QB.

If Bortles is our QB, we will finish last and Gutey and Murphy will be gone by next year.

I will take that bet, that if BB is our starting QB for a majority of our games this year, GB will not be last in the division.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #384 on: July 25, 2021, 01:58:20 PM »

Bortles was signed to be our backup.  What is the argument here?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #385 on: July 25, 2021, 02:01:21 PM »
I will take that bet, that if BB is our starting QB for a majority of our games this year, GB will not be last in the division.

Same.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #386 on: July 25, 2021, 05:11:07 PM »
Bortles was signed to be our backup.  What is the argument here?

I responded to a post that said Bortles will keep GB competitive if he is the starter.

He won’t. If you still think I’m wrong, check the over/under for wins from Vegas if Bortles is the QB.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #387 on: July 25, 2021, 05:13:57 PM »
I responded to a post that said Bortles will keep GB competitive if he is the starter.

He won’t. If you still think I’m wrong, check the over/under for wins from Vegas if Bortles is the QB.

The NFC North stinks. The Packers have enough outside of the QB position, and a good enough coach, that they would be competitive in the NFC North. They wouldn’t be a Super Bowl contender.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #388 on: July 26, 2021, 10:22:06 AM »
Is anyone going to the Packers Annual Shareholders Meeting today?
            ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #389 on: July 26, 2021, 11:57:33 AM »
Commentator saying Rodgers says to friends he intends to play for GB this season.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1419701759149330446

Gutekunst says hopeful for a positive outcome
            ---Al McGuire

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #390 on: July 26, 2021, 12:13:10 PM »
Commentator saying Rodgers says to friends he intends to play for GB this season.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1419701759149330446

Gutekunst says hopeful for a positive outcome

Guessing Rodgers made his point, but also knew his only real choice this year was retire or play. Even with a holdout, I don’t think the Packers trade him.

The big thing is going to be what happens at the end of this year. If he plays well and the Packers bump up the guarantee commitment, does he take it or feel the damage has been done?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #391 on: July 26, 2021, 12:44:16 PM »
I thought there was too much smoke going around (in many different areas), and figured Rodgers wouldn’t come back. I’m fine being wrong here, and often said he’s my favorite NFL player to watch. His career in GB deserved better closure to it than him not playing this year. Hopefully both sides can get through 2021, and wait to see from there. I was probably wrong about 2021, but barring a big money/fully guaranteed extension, I still would expect him elsewhere in 22.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #392 on: July 26, 2021, 12:59:38 PM »
I still think Rodgers has great leverage. The Packers are legit SB contenders with him; they are also-rans without him. That's the kind of leverage Emmitt Smith had way back when, and it ended up getting Smith what then was a landmark contract.

And unlike Smith back then, Rodgers already is a millionaire many times over. In other words, he's "Eff-you rich."

One could make a reasonable argument that Rodgers' age robs him of much of his leverage. But Brady won two Super Bowls at a more advanced age, and Rodgers showed in winning MVP last season that he's not slowing down at all.

But I guess, in the end, Rodgers just wants to play this season - period - so he isn't willing to push his leverage.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #393 on: July 26, 2021, 01:03:10 PM »
I thought there was too much smoke going around (in many different areas), and figured Rodgers wouldn’t come back. I’m fine being wrong here, and often said he’s my favorite NFL player to watch. His career in GB deserved better closure to it than him not playing this year. Hopefully both sides can get through 2021, and wait to see from there. I was probably wrong about 2021, but barring a big money/fully guaranteed extension, I still would expect him elsewhere in 22.

Homer has been saying he'll play the whole time.  And really once the draft past, there was no way GB would trade him.  The choice was sit or play and this guy can't stay out of the spot light.

He was always going to play. 

It's so curious to me that he chose this moment in time to make his stand.

Currently at his disposal:

#1 WR in the NFL
#1 LT in the NFL
#2 Offensive Line in the NFL
#3 Corner back in the NFL
#4 Edge Rusher in the NFL
#5 Interior Defensive Lineman in the NFL
#6 Running Back in the NFL
Plus a highly innovative coach who (arguably) saved his career

If he wanted out while Ted Thompson was (sadly) asleep at the wheel, fine.  What MLF and Gutey have done to surround him with talent is staggering.  If he wants to win a Super Bowl, he should tuck it and run on 3rd down when it's 3rd and goal.  His defense turned Tom Brady over 3 times in the 2nd half of the NFC Championship game at Lambeau and he couldn't capitalize.  Maybe the problem is 12.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 01:17:22 PM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #394 on: July 26, 2021, 01:05:26 PM »

We disagreed about this year (yet to be determined), but agree completely with you about next year.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #395 on: July 26, 2021, 01:19:27 PM »
Homer has been saying he'll play the whole time.  And really once the draft past, there was no way GB would trade him.  The choice was sit or play and this guy can't stay out of the spot light.

#1 WR in the NFL
#1 LT in the NFL

If he wanted out while Ted Thompson was (sadly) asleep at the wheel, fine.  What MLF and Gutey have done to surround him with talent is staggering.  If he wants to win a Super Bowl, he should tuck it and run on 3rd down when it's 3rd and goal.  His defense turned Tom Brady over 3 times in the 2nd half of the NFC Championship game at Lambeau and he couldn't capitalize.  Maybe the problem is 12.

He is the problem.  He’s a loser
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #396 on: July 26, 2021, 01:20:22 PM »
I still think Rodgers has great leverage. The Packers are legit SB contenders with him; they are also-rans without him. That's the kind of leverage Emmitt Smith had way back when, and it ended up getting Smith what then was a landmark contract.

And unlike Smith back then, Rodgers already is a millionaire many times over. In other words, he's "Eff-you rich."

One could make a reasonable argument that Rodgers' age robs him of much of his leverage. But Brady won two Super Bowls at a more advanced age, and Rodgers showed in winning MVP last season that he's not slowing down at all.

But I guess, in the end, Rodgers just wants to play this season - period - so he isn't willing to push his leverage.

The fact that Rodgers is currently under contract is how he doesn't have the leverage that Smith had.  Smith wasn't under contract, although he couldn't sign with anyone else but the Cowboys, he was under no obligation to show up until they had a mutual agreement in place.  Rodgers would be fined and miss game checks if he doesn't show.

Despite what they are saying publicly, the Packers IMO wouldn't mind if he retired. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #397 on: July 26, 2021, 01:21:38 PM »

#1 WR in the NFL
#1 LT in the NFL

Duh.  It's because they didn't call him on draft day.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #398 on: July 26, 2021, 01:26:41 PM »

To me it is because he won MVP and almost led us to the Super Bowl. He gets to try to make a play for more guarantees. He says he threw a wrench in the plans by playing so well.

The contract is set up to give the Packers an out for when Rodgers regresses. Based on the previous 2 years it looked like it could be starting. Still very good, but not MVP level. He then came out and looked like the Rodgers of old.

He saw how many rallied around Favre and hated Thompson that offseason. I’m sure he thought that would be the reaction too and the Packers might give him more guarantees. Packers FO stuck to their guns and I think the general fan response was different than expected.

His biggest leverage this year is if Love looks years away from being ready. I think it’s tough to judge Love last year based on the Covid off-season. If he comes in and looks good in practice, the Packers may move on no matter the year Rodgers has. I think Rodgers wanted to avoid that possibility by getting more guarantees and solidifying himself for the next few years as starter.

• All American
« Reply #399 on: July 26, 2021, 01:34:23 PM »
Favre will always be more beloved than Rodgers.  Favre retired, cried at a press conference, then changed his mind.  (I know that's not exactly what happened but...)  Rodgers just held out.