collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2021-2022 NFL Season  (Read 270369 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: 2021-2022 NFL Season
« Reply #275 on: July 15, 2021, 10:04:07 AM »
You call them antics, I see someone in need of help, likely not the kind that he's going to get with a week in jail.

Semantics.  The behavior was clearly outrageous, but we can agree that spending a week in jail is idiocy.  He should have been discharged once he had a psyche evaluation, was sober, and a temporary restraining order was put in place.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #276 on: July 15, 2021, 10:39:14 AM »
You call them antics, I see someone in need of help, likely not the kind that he's going to get with a week in jail.

Yeah and the Police response doesn't seem to have been helpful.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #277 on: July 15, 2021, 12:07:14 PM »
So I spoke with a buddy who was formerly in media in Seattle.  Additional details he had recieved.

Sherman was/is allegedly on the cusp of re-signing with the Seahawks. Drank 2 bottles of Hennessy whilst celebrating this.  Quarreled with his wife's Uncle for yet unknown reasons.  His wife called the police.  He tried to drive to the in-laws where she was.  Got in a wreck.  Walked a further 2 miles to the house from the wreck.  His father in law is a former police officer.  He pepper sprayed Sherman while he was irate and trying to enter the house.  Police arrived, seemingly de-escalated things, but when they wanted to take him into custody, Sherman drunkenly flipped out again and thats when everything else occurred. 

Pretty sad.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #278 on: July 15, 2021, 12:31:13 PM »
Semantics.  The behavior was clearly outrageous, but we can agree that spending a week in jail is idiocy.  He should have been discharged once he had a psyche evaluation, was sober, and a temporary restraining order was put in place.

Idk, what does the week in jail hurt?  When someone exhibits this kind of behavior, if he were let out immediately upon sobering up and receiving a psych eval, that would seem like gross negligence if/when he went on to immmediately violate the restraining order.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #279 on: July 15, 2021, 12:36:43 PM »
Idk, what does the week in jail hurt?  When someone exhibits this kind of behavior, if he were let out immediately upon sobering up and receiving a psych eval, that would seem like gross negligence if/when he went on to immmediately violate the restraining order.

What does it solve?  Absolutely nothing.  It's expensive, he isn't a repeat offender, and he was clearly drunk.

If he goes on to immediately violate the restraining order, he gets arrested again.  Do you think spending a week in jail would prevent him from violating the order?  That's stupid.

• All American
« Reply #280 on: July 15, 2021, 01:02:22 PM »
Idk, what does the week in jail hurt? 

There is the American attitude toward crime in a nutshell.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #281 on: July 15, 2021, 02:42:26 PM »
A week, two weeks ... why not a month? Who would it hurt?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #282 on: July 15, 2021, 02:44:04 PM »
If you think a week of observation is a bad thing for a guy charged with domestic violence and that tried to break into his in laws house, fight his father in law, and threatened suicide, sure keep Bob Rossing with those broad brushes. Maybe it sucks that we don't really have a place other than jail for that observation, but that's where we are. The threat he poses to himself and other is the reason bail is denied in these cases, and its the reason I don't think a week in jail is the worst thing here.

• All American
« Reply #283 on: July 15, 2021, 02:47:44 PM »
If you think a week of observation is a bad thing for a guy charged with domestic violence and that tried to break into his in laws house, fight his father in law, and threatened suicide, sure keep Bob Rossing with those broad brushes. Maybe it sucks that we don't really have a place other than jail for that observation, but that's where we are. The threat he poses to himself and other is the reason bail is denied in these cases, and its the reason I don't think a week in jail is the worst thing here.

Jail is really a wholly inadequate place for that type of observation.

But to answer your original question, there IS harm to locking someone up in jail for something that seems a mental health issue and not a criminal one. 

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #284 on: July 15, 2021, 02:56:13 PM »

Jail is really a wholly inadequate place for that type of observation.

But to answer your original question, there IS harm to locking someone up in jail for something that seems a mental health issue and not a criminal one.

Agreed  that jail is inadequate for that type of observation, and I agree that mental health seems to be a factor, if not the predominant factor here. But I also think that the greatest harm in these cases would be just releasing someone with that fact pattern on his own recognizance when he sobers up with a restraining order, and assuming the victims will be fine or can just call the police if he violates the restraining order.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #285 on: July 15, 2021, 03:26:28 PM »
Agreed  that jail is inadequate for that type of observation, and I agree that mental health seems to be a factor, if not the predominant factor here. But I also think that the greatest harm in these cases would be just releasing someone with that fact pattern on his own recognizance when he sobers up with a restraining order, and assuming the victims will be fine or can just call the police if he violates the restraining order.

Case law - and even the U.S. Constitution - says you can't impose excessive bail or hold people without bail, except in extreme circumstances. This comes nowhere close to qualifying.
The primary purpose of bail is to ensure the defendant returns for court, not punish someone.
This is a guy with no criminal history whose offenses resulted in no harm to others. No prosecutor could credibly argue that he poses a significant threat to harm others if released.

And pragmatically speaking, judges ordered defendants held without bail because they might commit another crime if released, we'd need to quadruple the size of our jails.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #286 on: July 15, 2021, 05:11:31 PM »

This is a guy with no criminal history whose offenses resulted in no harm to others. No prosecutor could credibly argue that he poses a significant threat to harm others if released.

Bingo.  I’m not sure what “fact pattern” was referred to above. This is obviously an unpleasant story and something snapped after lots of alcohol.  This isn’t some habitual offender or someone with a history of domestic issues.  He had a bad incident while drunk, certainly not the first or last person.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #287 on: July 16, 2021, 06:48:38 AM »
Shockin' behavior from a Stanford alum. I blame firewater, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #288 on: July 16, 2021, 07:23:35 AM »
Pleased to see that the Panthers just beat yesterday's deadline to get a contract done for Taylor Moton, arguably the best RT in the NFL.

Price was steep - 5 years, $85M, with $43M guaranteed - but Tepper is the richest owner in the league and the team had cap space.

Guy allowed only 3 sacks all season and committed only 1 penalty. He has played 99%+ of offensive snaps last 3 years. Big, tough, talented, reliable. Glad my team hung onto him.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #289 on: July 16, 2021, 09:26:36 AM »
Bingo.  I’m not sure what “fact pattern” was referred to above. This is obviously an unpleasant story and something snapped after lots of alcohol.  This isn’t some habitual offender or someone with a history of domestic issues.  He had a bad incident while drunk, certainly not the first or last person.
From the espn article:
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31824470/judge-orders-richard-sherman-released-jail-bail-several-conditions

In February, King County prosecutors and the sheriff obtained an "extreme risk protection order'' for Sherman, which barred him from having guns after a judge determined he posed a danger to himself or others. Details of the case were sealed, and it was not immediately clear if any weapons had been seized from him.

Hopefully he gets the help he needs.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #290 on: July 20, 2021, 11:50:59 AM »
Sources say Rodgers turned down two year extension that would have made him the highest paid player in Football. If true very puzzling.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31847990/sources-aaron-rodgers-declined-green-bay-packers-extension-offer-made-highest-paid-qb
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #291 on: July 20, 2021, 11:54:21 AM »
Sources say Rodgers turned down two year extension that would have made him the highest paid player in Football. If true very puzzling.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31847990/sources-aaron-rodgers-declined-green-bay-packers-extension-offer-made-highest-paid-qb

Packers should have traded him before last season and signed Tom Brady.  They’d be Super Bowl champs and have a slew of draft picks.  Alas, they have Captain Regualr Season Stat Padder
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #292 on: July 20, 2021, 12:20:40 PM »

This isn’t really newsworthy is it? Unless they changed the guarantees, it’s kind of an empty offer. Rodgers is upset that he’s basically on a year to year deal and wants more guaranteed money in the coming years so they can’t move on from him as easily.

Just extending his deal 2 years doesn’t change the situation.

• All American
« Reply #293 on: July 20, 2021, 12:47:06 PM »
And this isn't news.  This was mentioned back in May, just not the details, which were entirely predictable.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #294 on: July 20, 2021, 01:32:47 PM »
This isn’t really newsworthy is it? Unless they changed the guarantees, it’s kind of an empty offer. Rodgers is upset that he’s basically on a year to year deal and wants more guaranteed money in the coming years so they can’t move on from him as easily.

Just extending his deal 2 years doesn’t change the situation.

I said early in this thread that it was about respect - not money. The Bears called Andy frickin' Dalton both before and after Fields was drafted. Jerry Krause couldn't be bothered to call Aaron when they drafted Love.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #295 on: July 20, 2021, 01:33:19 PM »
Nothing to see here on this “news”. Unless he turned down significant guaranteed money for ‘24 & ‘25, there’s no story here at all.

• All American
« Reply #296 on: July 20, 2021, 01:35:01 PM »
I said early in this thread that it was about respect - not money. The Bears called Andy frickin' Dalton both before and after Fields was drafted. Jerry Krause couldn't be bothered to call Aaron when they drafted Love.

He can get over it. They have put a championship quality team around him the last two seasons. Including last year playing at home.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #297 on: July 20, 2021, 01:40:39 PM »

He can get over it. They have put a championship quality team around him the last two seasons. Including last year playing at home.

Of course he can, I said earlier in the thread that I expect him to be on the field for the opening game.

We'll find out if I was right or wrong in 8 weeks.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #298 on: July 20, 2021, 01:49:34 PM »
Of course he can, I said earlier in the thread that I expect him to be on the field for the opening game.

We'll find out if I was right or wrong in 8 weeks.

Trade him for the best deal out there regardless of team.  He’s a loser
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #299 on: July 20, 2021, 01:50:42 PM »
He gowne, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback