collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2021-2022 NFL Season  (Read 270337 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: 2021-2022 NFL Season
« Reply #250 on: July 12, 2021, 05:17:22 PM »
https://nypost.com/2021/07/12/washington-football-team-axes-fan-favorite-new-name/

So they axe Warriors because it is offensive to certain groups in particular Native Americans, but its OK for Golden State. Go figure.

It’s all about the imagery.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #251 on: July 12, 2021, 06:14:34 PM »
https://nypost.com/2021/07/12/washington-football-team-axes-fan-favorite-new-name/

So they axe Warriors because it is offensive to certain groups in particular Native Americans, but its OK for Golden State. Go figure.

Yes.

Get over it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #252 on: July 12, 2021, 06:34:39 PM »
The Louis County vs NFL case isn’t getting any play nationally, but man is this case getting interesting fast.

I don’t know how the NFL can possibly win this case with the evidence that exists. A settlement would be hundreds of millions I would imagine.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #253 on: July 12, 2021, 08:35:36 PM »
The Louis County vs NFL case isn’t getting any play nationally, but man is this case getting interesting fast.

I don’t know how the NFL can possibly win this case with the evidence that exists. A settlement would be hundreds of millions I would imagine.
There will be a settlement when the insurance companies want to turn off the legal meter.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #254 on: July 12, 2021, 10:21:46 PM »

Stan Kronke is going to make so much money on the SoFi development and the added value of the Rams that any settlement is going to be chump change in comparison.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #255 on: July 12, 2021, 10:51:22 PM »
Stan Kronke is going to make so much money on the SoFi development and the added value of the Rams that any settlement is going to be chump change in comparison.

The punitive damage discovery is the big loss for all the defendants here. Ultra rich dudes don’t enjoy people poking around their financial records.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #256 on: July 12, 2021, 11:45:11 PM »

This has been explained on this site before, I actually think there were posts directly to you, but in case you missed them and are curious.

Having the moniker of "Warrior" isn't inherently racist. It depends on the imagery being used with it. Though a majority of teams named "Warriors" in US history opted to utilize Native American imagery, leading some to permanently associate the two regardless of imagery.

The Philadelphia Warriors used a racist caricature as their mascot back in the 40s and 50s. When the team relocated to San Francisco in the 60s, they dropped the caricature and replaced it with an image of headdress. Still native imagery but not quite as offensive. This stayed in place until 1968 when the team decided to drop all native imagery and replace it with an image of the Golden Gate bridge. Since then, there have been no logos that even hint at native imagery in Golden State.

The timing is important because Golden State made this change in the 60s, decades before there was any significant public pressure to drop Native American mascots. By the time that pressure arrived in the late 90s and reached a boiling point in the mid 2000s, 30 some years had passed. Fans weren't showing up to Oakland Arena in war paint and headdresses anymore, they had successfully transitioned from native imagery to a neutral imagery. On top of that, as long as the team had been in San Francisco, the imagery used didn't fall into the far end of the racism spectrum (i.e. Redskins, Chief Wahoo, and yes, Willie Wampum).

Timing is what makes Warriors a bad PR move for the Washington Football Team. Until last season, they had a racial slur for Native Americans as their moniker. Their fans were famously filled with shirtless White guys showing up with tomahawks, war paint, and other racial stereotypes. To take on a moniker that in this country traditionally has been associated with Native American imagery, would be viewed as a continuation of Redskins just in different clothing. Could it be done in a non-problematic way? Sure. Would that be a good PR move for the team? Don't see any way that it could be.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #257 on: July 14, 2021, 06:58:55 AM »
This has been explained on this site before, I actually think there were posts directly to you, but in case you missed them and are curious.

Having the moniker of "Warrior" isn't inherently racist. It depends on the imagery being used with it. Though a majority of teams named "Warriors" in US history opted to utilize Native American imagery, leading some to permanently associate the two regardless of imagery.

The Philadelphia Warriors used a racist caricature as their mascot back in the 40s and 50s. When the team relocated to San Francisco in the 60s, they dropped the caricature and replaced it with an image of headdress. Still native imagery but not quite as offensive. This stayed in place until 1968 when the team decided to drop all native imagery and replace it with an image of the Golden Gate bridge. Since then, there have been no logos that even hint at native imagery in Golden State.

The timing is important because Golden State made this change in the 60s, decades before there was any significant public pressure to drop Native American mascots. By the time that pressure arrived in the late 90s and reached a boiling point in the mid 2000s, 30 some years had passed. Fans weren't showing up to Oakland Arena in war paint and headdresses anymore, they had successfully transitioned from native imagery to a neutral imagery. On top of that, as long as the team had been in San Francisco, the imagery used didn't fall into the far end of the racism spectrum (i.e. Redskins, Chief Wahoo, and yes, Willie Wampum).

Timing is what makes Warriors a bad PR move for the Washington Football Team. Until last season, they had a racial slur for Native Americans as their moniker. Their fans were famously filled with shirtless White guys showing up with tomahawks, war paint, and other racial stereotypes. To take on a moniker that in this country traditionally has been associated with Native American imagery, would be viewed as a continuation of Redskins just in different clothing. Could it be done in a non-problematic way? Sure. Would that be a good PR move for the team? Don't see any way that it could be.

Really?

https://sportsmascots.fandom.com/wiki/Chief_Zee_(Washington_Redskins)

• All American
« Reply #258 on: July 14, 2021, 07:47:58 AM »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #259 on: July 14, 2021, 08:25:37 AM »
Really?

https://sportsmascots.fandom.com/wiki/Chief_Zee_(Washington_Redskins)

Yes really.

Did I ever say that it was exclusively White? A majority are white.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 08:56:56 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #260 on: July 14, 2021, 09:03:34 AM »

Where did he say they were exclusively white guys?

Then why bring race into it?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #261 on: July 14, 2021, 09:06:35 AM »
Yes really.

Did I ever say that it was exclusively White? A majority are white.

C'mon man, they're all wearing shirts!

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #262 on: July 14, 2021, 09:26:11 AM »
Is this some kind of solidarity for mascot name loss thing? Are you a diehard Washington Football Team fan suddenly deprived of his mascot? What engenders such passionate defense here?

I'm honestly curious, because I can think of very few things I care about less than what Dan Snyder's team calls itself. It seems weird as heck that anyone would do anything in response to this rebranding beyond simply saying "okay."

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #263 on: July 14, 2021, 09:30:29 AM »

The nickname being replaced was a color followed by skin. You can’t really separate race from this.

If they got rid of it in the 70s and went with knight imagery of Warriors, they’d have probably been able to make it work, similar to MU. Especially with how hard WFT fought to keep the former name, in my opinion, you can’t go to a name that could even be close to the Native American imagery.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #264 on: July 14, 2021, 09:34:28 AM »

1. Because the Washington Football Team brought race into it by using a racial slur as their mascot for decades.

2. Because while it is bad when any non-Native American culturally appropriates Native imagery, it is worse when a White person does it than when a Black or Latinx or Asian person does. To pre-empt your why, it is because of the historical context. The genocide or conquering or subjugation or whatever word you are comfortable using of Native Americans was primarily perpetuated by White Europeans and later White Americans. So while other people of color doing it is an insult, when a White person does it, it is adding insult to past injury.

If it makes you feel better, I don't like Chief Zee either.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 09:43:15 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

• All American
« Reply #265 on: July 14, 2021, 09:49:12 AM »

Why bring race into a discussion about native imagery?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #266 on: July 14, 2021, 06:20:13 PM »
1. Because the Washington Football Team brought race into it by using a racial slur as their mascot for decades.

Not even the recent conversation, but their founder was an avowed segregationist/bigot who was the last to sign a black player.  He chose Redskins cause the team he bought was called the Braves and he liked the Native American imagery.  AND the first coach he hired, as a marketing gimmick, was a huckster who claimed to be Native American.

There was never anything with the Redskins like other Warriors or Braves mascots that aged poorly as people became more aware and sensitive, it was a racist nickname picked and crafted by a dyed in the wool racist owner from the jump

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #267 on: July 14, 2021, 06:39:04 PM »
So are we not going to bring up Richard Sherman's antics from last night?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #268 on: July 14, 2021, 07:18:16 PM »

I think you just did.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #269 on: July 14, 2021, 08:23:21 PM »

The good news is the NFL has a zero tolerance policy when it comes to domestic violence...

... If there's video...

... Or the player isn't a superstar.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #270 on: July 14, 2021, 08:35:16 PM »
The good news is the NFL has a zero tolerance policy when it comes to domestic violence...

... If there's video...

... Or the victim doesn't settle out of court

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #271 on: July 14, 2021, 09:32:05 PM »

... If there's video...

It will be interesting how this is viewed.  Obviously not excusing his behavior but it seems a different situation than someone who explicitly puts their hands on their spouse.

Now the DUI and reckless driving is another matter.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #272 on: July 14, 2021, 10:19:22 PM »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #273 on: July 15, 2021, 06:44:36 AM »

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #274 on: July 15, 2021, 08:26:44 AM »

You call them antics, I see someone in need of help, likely not the kind that he's going to get with a week in jail.