collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2021-2022 NFL Season  (Read 270527 times)

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Re: 2021-2022 NFL Season
« Reply #200 on: May 26, 2021, 12:36:04 PM »
Ludum habemus.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #201 on: May 26, 2021, 12:43:15 PM »
A case for letting AR go:

https://www.golongtd.com/p/let-the-jordan-love-era-begin-in

I’d put the chances of Love being a successful NFL QB at somewhere south of 25%. Im probably being too generous, though.

So yeah, let’s move on.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #202 on: May 26, 2021, 12:50:33 PM »
I’d put the chances of Love being a successful NFL QB at somewhere south of 25%. Im probably being too generous, though.

So yeah, let’s move on.

On one hand, you're just guessing.

On the other, when the first quote is from his personal quarterbacks coach....
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #203 on: May 26, 2021, 12:56:41 PM »
I don’t really see the Packers moving onto Love this year by trading Rodgers unless they are convinced he’s a future Top 10 QB and is ready now.

I don’t think Rodgers holds out. At his age, he’s missing out on a prime chance to win a Super Bowl with the Packers.

The risk for the Packers is you call his bluff and he holds out. Can’t you just trade him for a haul mid-season? Once the draft passed, you are now talking picks a year in the future. Unless there’s a rookie the Packers wanted on a team that wants Rodgers.

It’s not like they are going to sign a free agent with Rodgers’ cap space that is freed up. Maybe it gives them more flexibility to trade for someone.

I see it pretty low risk to hold onto Rodgers if he holds out, other than the circus he would create. Maybe they just want him gone to not hinder Love with the ongoing drama.

Going to be interesting once June 1 passes.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #204 on: May 26, 2021, 01:11:46 PM »
A case for letting AR go:

https://www.golongtd.com/p/let-the-jordan-love-era-begin-in

Man.... I read stories like this and get all excited.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #205 on: May 26, 2021, 01:17:39 PM »
Love doesn't have to be a top 10 quarterback if you're getting 2 starting level players and 4 first round draft picks in return.  Once Bakhtiari is healthy, your o line will be among the best in the league, your backfield will be among the best in the league, you have the best wide receiver in the league, and if your first round CB is at least serviceable your defense should be very solid.

Then you have two first round picks in the next four NFL Drafts.  Build a team that can win by controlling the clock and playing defense.  If Love is a top 10 quarterback, then even better.

Rodgers will never be happy here.  He's also had chances to win Super Bowls and hasn't been able to (whether it's losing the first game in the Playoffs after a 15-1 season or being unable to put the ball in the end zone in Seattle or in Green Bay against the Bucs).

You're also playing in the NFC North.  You don't have to be one of the top teams in the NFL to win games with the teams the Packers get to play twice each year.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

• All American
« Reply #206 on: May 26, 2021, 01:23:01 PM »
I mean, his trade value will never be higher....
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #207 on: May 26, 2021, 02:05:56 PM »
I mean, his trade value will never be higher....

Fair. I guess I’m operating under the assumption he’s bluffing sitting out the season.

Based on comments from people who know him, it doesn’t sound like he will play for the Packers again, so I may just be a hopeful optimist. Listening to national pundits, not many think he will be a Packer next year.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #208 on: May 26, 2021, 02:15:46 PM »
Love doesn't have to be a top 10 quarterback if you're getting 2 starting level players and 4 first round draft picks in return.  Once Bakhtiari is healthy, your o line will be among the best in the league, your backfield will be among the best in the league, you have the best wide receiver in the league, and if your first round CB is at least serviceable your defense should be very solid.

Then you have two first round picks in the next four NFL Drafts.  Build a team that can win by controlling the clock and playing defense.  If Love is a top 10 quarterback, then even better.

Rodgers will never be happy here.  He's also had chances to win Super Bowls and hasn't been able to (whether it's losing the first game in the Playoffs after a 15-1 season or being unable to put the ball in the end zone in Seattle or in Green Bay against the Bucs).

You're also playing in the NFC North.  You don't have to be one of the top teams in the NFL to win games with the teams the Packers get to play twice each year.

I agree with a lot of this but

a) I would temper your expectations on the return
b) not expect those 1st round picks to be better than 20th
c) worry about Davante and Bahktiari if Rodgers is gone - those 3 are pretty tight
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #209 on: May 26, 2021, 02:22:11 PM »
I agree with a lot of this but

a) I would temper your expectations on the return
b) not expect those 1st round picks to be better than 20th
c) worry about Davante and Bahktiari if Rodgers is gone - those 3 are pretty tight

Agreed with all of that.  But Bahktiari really can't go anywhere.  He just resigned with the Packers.  He doesn't have any leverage at all.  I would expect this to be Adams's last season with the Packers, unfortunately.  I'd miss Adams more than I'd miss Rodgers.  But it is what it is.  At this point, whether Rodgers "retires" or is traded you expect Adams to be gone when he becomes a free agent, so you might as well give him a year to see if Love can surprise him.  And if not you have a lot of draft picks to try to get your replacement at wide receiver.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #210 on: May 26, 2021, 03:30:28 PM »
If they end up trading Rodgers they should consider trading Devante as well. I imagine despite being in the last year of his contract someone would make an offer and I doubt he's back for 2022-23 if Rodgers isn't here.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #211 on: May 26, 2021, 03:37:11 PM »
Agreed with all of that.  But Bahktiari really can't go anywhere.  He just resigned with the Packers.  He doesn't have any leverage at all.  I would expect this to be Adams's last season with the Packers, unfortunately.  I'd miss Adams more than I'd miss Rodgers.  But it is what it is.  At this point, whether Rodgers "retires" or is traded you expect Adams to be gone when he becomes a free agent, so you might as well give him a year to see if Love can surprise him.  And if not you have a lot of draft picks to try to get your replacement at wide receiver.

IIRC from years past, you were a huge Rodgers fan, right?

I get it that even big fans get tired of the drama eventually, especially when there hasn't even been a single conference title in a decade.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #212 on: May 26, 2021, 03:48:31 PM »
IIRC from years past, you were a huge Rodgers fan, right?

I get it that even big fans get tired of the drama eventually, especially when there hasn't even been a single conference title in a decade.

I like Rodgers because he's in a different stratosphere than any NFC North quarterback I've seen besides Brett Favre in my lifetime.  And the best case scenario is he comes back, the Packers make room for Julio, and they go win a Super Bowl.  But that seems unlikely, so to me you can set yourself up for another decade of football that is just about as good as the past decade has been since you last won the Super Bowl.  Otherwise you're constantly battling a disgruntled, aging quarterback and get nothing in return when he does leave town.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #213 on: May 26, 2021, 03:50:44 PM »
Fair. I guess I’m operating under the assumption he’s bluffing sitting out the season.

Based on comments from people who know him, it doesn’t sound like he will play for the Packers again, so I may just be a hopeful optimist. Listening to national pundits, not many think he will be a Packer next year.

I don't think this is true. AJ Hawk, James Jones and TJ Lang all have said they think he will be back.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #214 on: May 26, 2021, 04:14:20 PM »

On one hand, you're just guessing.

On the other, when the first quote is from his personal quarterbacks coach....

Nope. Just going by history.

Only 2 guys selected between 13-32 from 2010-2018 became quality NFL QBs. Jackson and Tannyhill. Jackson had a single, unique talent. Tannyhill took a while and had to be traded to be successful.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 04:30:10 PM by Jockey »

• All American
« Reply #215 on: May 26, 2021, 04:16:29 PM »
I don't think this is true. AJ Hawk, James Jones and TJ Lang all have said they think he will be back.

I kinda think they're saying that because Rodgers doesn't want to be seen as the bad guy if he is traded or holds out.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #216 on: May 26, 2021, 05:55:39 PM »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

forgetful

• All American

MU82

• All American
« Reply #218 on: May 26, 2021, 10:26:57 PM »
I like Rodgers because he's in a different stratosphere than any NFC North quarterback I've seen besides Brett Favre in my lifetime.  And the best case scenario is he comes back, the Packers make room for Julio, and they go win a Super Bowl.  But that seems unlikely, so to me you can set yourself up for another decade of football that is just about as good as the past decade has been since you last won the Super Bowl.  Otherwise you're constantly battling a disgruntled, aging quarterback and get nothing in return when he does leave town.

Very reasonable take. As one with no horse in this race, I hope you get the outcome you're looking for.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #219 on: May 28, 2021, 09:33:46 PM »
Just read that the Vikings really wanted Fields and tried to trade with the Panthers. But Minnesota refused to give up its No. 1 pick in 2022, offering only a third and fourth to trade up, and the Panthers told the Vikes to take a hike.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #220 on: May 28, 2021, 10:11:22 PM »
Just read that the Vikings really wanted Fields and tried to trade with the Panthers. But Minnesota refused to give up its No. 1 pick in 2022, offering only a third and fourth to trade up, and the Panthers told the Vikes to take a hike.
Panthers got a starting cornerback, so they made the right decision.
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #221 on: May 28, 2021, 10:29:10 PM »
Panthers got a starting cornerback, so they made the right decision.

I am very content with what the Panthers did. No 2022 #1, no trade.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American