collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2021-2022 NFL Season  (Read 270351 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: 2021-2022 NFL Season
« Reply #125 on: May 07, 2021, 09:17:09 PM »
I won’t quote anyone from this thread, only because I think a lot of people have made great points and I don’t want to leave anyone out. Really good football discussion from everyone, I love it.

I’m on record as a definite “wait and see” guy on Fields. I never thought the Bears would get him, but during the past college season I found myself watching a lot of OSU games to get a better read on Fields because I kept changing my mind on his pro prospects. Maybe it’s my cynical nature as a Bears fan, I thought it was a tad too much to give up, but I agree at that point in the draft they had to do it. I remember watching specifically the IU game and thinking “ugh, that’s not good” more often than not. Small sample size in that regard though.

I want him to be good, the Bears need him to be good, I just have no idea. I think his ceiling is potentially high, but if someone said he’s going to be a bust and gave reasons why, no argument from me.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #126 on: May 07, 2021, 09:18:36 PM »
Again Rodgers was still the second quarterback taken.

So a slide down the draft is less important than which spot they are taken relative to position?

I'm just trying to understand all the nuance and factors at play.

Ultimately, it seems like most people are hung up on the fact that Nagy (moron that he seems) called Fields a generational talent. And the fact that it's the Bears.

Otherwise seems like a disingenuous argument.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #127 on: May 07, 2021, 10:27:20 PM »

Similar to what I said about Bradshaw - how will he respond when the best players on the field aren't all on his team?

Jockey

Fields was 22-28 for 385 yards and 6TDs vs Clemson. He also ran for one TD. Don’t think the best players on the field were all on his team in that game.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #128 on: May 07, 2021, 10:48:03 PM »
So a slide down the draft is less important than which spot they are taken relative to position?

I'm just trying to understand all the nuance and factors at play.

Ultimately, it seems like most people are hung up on the fact that Nagy (moron that he seems) called Fields a generational talent. And the fact that it's the Bears.

Otherwise seems like a disingenuous argument.

I'm struggling to understand why you think Rodgers' slide is relevant.  The reasons and circumstances were completely different.
But if you insist on comparing QB slides, why not Brady Quinn? Or Johnny Manziel? Or Geno Smith? Or Jimmy Clausen?

I also don't understand why Bears fans are getting offended here. Nobody has said Fields was a bad pick or will be a bad player. 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 10:51:32 PM by Pakuni »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #129 on: May 08, 2021, 06:21:22 AM »
I'm struggling to understand why you think Rodgers' slide is relevant.  The reasons and circumstances were completely different.
But if you insist on comparing QB slides, why not Brady Quinn? Or Johnny Manziel? Or Geno Smith? Or Jimmy Clausen?

I also don't understand why Bears fans are getting offended here. Nobody has said Fields was a bad pick or will be a bad player.

I guess I'm struggling to understand why Fields' slide is a reflection on Fields and not perhaps a reflection on teams drafting poorly (those who didn't pick him 1-10).

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #130 on: May 08, 2021, 10:11:27 AM »
I guess I'm struggling to understand why Fields' slide is a reflection on Fields and not perhaps a reflection on teams drafting poorly (those who didn't pick him 1-10).

And it may very well be that those other teams are wrong. Again, nobody here has said otherwise. Just pointing out the reasons to pump the brakes a little before crowning the kid as probably the best QB in Bears history (as literally has been done on the airwaves in Chicago).

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #132 on: May 08, 2021, 11:49:07 AM »
And it may very well be that those other teams are wrong. Again, nobody here has said otherwise. Just pointing out the reasons to pump the brakes a little before crowning the kid as probably the best QB in Bears history (as literally has been done on the airwaves in Chicago).

People here have definitely said/implied the Bears are the dumb party here for drafting Fields.

Ultimately, I agree with you.

There's a large contingent of meatball Bears fans that do the same with any player/coach/etc. And Nagy saying stupid crap doesn't help the situation.

Let Fields learn/grow and see what we've got. No need to put cart before the horse.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #133 on: May 08, 2021, 01:34:35 PM »
Jockey

Fields was 22-28 for 385 yards and 6TDs vs Clemson. He also ran for one TD. Don’t think the best players on the field were all on his team in that game.

Justin Fields was 12/27 for 114 yards and 0 TDs with 2 Ints. against Northwestern. I think almost all of the best players on the field were all on his team in that game.

Easy to cherry pick Lenny.  ;)

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #134 on: May 08, 2021, 01:37:43 PM »
People here have definitely said/implied the Bears are the dumb party here for drafting Fields.

Ultimately, I agree with you.

There's a large contingent of meatball Bears fans that do the same with any player/coach/etc. And Nagy saying stupid crap doesn't help the situation.

Let Fields learn/grow and see what we've got. No need to put cart before the horse.

Some people know a lot, but are terrible teachers. Do you think Nagy fits that description? So far, I believe he has.

That's why I liked Carolina's move for Darnold. Getting away from Gase should be good for any QB.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #135 on: May 08, 2021, 03:13:06 PM »

Some people know a lot, but are terrible teachers. Do you think Nagy fits that description? So far, I believe he has.

That's why I liked Carolina's move for Darnold. Getting away from Gase should be good for any QB.

Thus far, Nagy hasn't shown me he's any good as a playcaller/schemer. Which was purported to be his specialty

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #136 on: May 08, 2021, 03:19:20 PM »
Justin Fields was 12/27 for 114 yards and 0 TDs with 2 Ints. against Northwestern. I think almost all of the best players on the field were all on his team in that game.

This was not your father's Wildcat team. NU was damn good, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #137 on: May 08, 2021, 06:02:02 PM »
Thus far, Nagy hasn't shown me he's any good as a playcaller/schemer. Which was purported to be his specialty

To follow up on what we've said - this is from an Athletic article.

NFL execs lauded the Bears’ selection of Justin Fields while doubting whether the coaching staff and organization could set up the Ohio State quarterback for success. Some who questioned the current staff also worried that a coaching change after another year or two could complicate a young quarterback’s development.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #138 on: May 08, 2021, 06:46:10 PM »

To follow up on what we've said - this is from an Athletic article.

NFL execs lauded the Bears’ selection of Justin Fields while doubting whether the coaching staff and organization could set up the Ohio State quarterback for success. Some who questioned the current staff also worried that a coaching change after another year or two could complicate a young quarterback’s development.

Yup. Pretty much the bears MO over the last couple decades

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #139 on: May 08, 2021, 09:30:40 PM »

Except if you watched Northwestern at all last season that had a top-5 defense in the country and their game plan was to take Justin Fields out and make someone else beat them.

There’s obviously no guarantee with Fields, but just because the school name is Northwestern doesn’t mean that defense wasn’t stacked.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #140 on: May 08, 2021, 09:40:46 PM »
Except if you watched Northwestern at all last season that had a top-5 defense in the country and their game plan was to take Justin Fields out and make someone else beat them.

There’s obviously no guarantee with Fields, but just because the school name is Northwestern doesn’t mean that defense wasn’t stacked.

NU's defense was solid last year, but ranked 22nd in the nation, not top 5.
Bo Nix, who sucks, was far better against them than Fields.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #141 on: May 08, 2021, 10:13:20 PM »

True. But I never said he didn’t play in a lot of games where all or most of the best players on the field were on his team. I just pointed out 1 very large exception to never/always statement.

What about Alabama? Will those 6 first rounders struggle? After all, they’re the one team for whom your assertion (all best players on the field were on their team) is nearly literally true.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
            ---Al McGuire

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #143 on: May 10, 2021, 08:54:17 AM »
Is Scoop being used as a source here? Also, please ignore the fact it’s a Notre Dame site. I saw this article on my Facebook. I do not read a fan site of a school that so clearly sucks.

https://247sports.com/college/notre-dame/Article/Chicago-Bears-seriously-considering-leaving-Soldier-Field-Arlington-Heights-Mayor-Tom-Hayes-Justin-Fields-Matt-Nagy-165147803/?fbclid=IwAR3vfvkzhSiEuaWQgdjBxkd5NJb7d3am6mxEoLG7TKDCu6KeygI3fQrlnRM

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #144 on: May 10, 2021, 05:52:13 PM »
            ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #145 on: May 10, 2021, 10:36:44 PM »
Tampa Bay having no problem with QB hierarchy . They just signed their back up , Blaine Gabbert and drafted Kyle Trask as a long term project . Everyone getting along well .

https://247sports.com/college/marquette/Article/Tampa-Bay-Buccaneers-re-sign-Blaine-Gabbert-one-year-deal-Kyle-Trask-Tom-Brady-165239183/
            ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #146 on: May 11, 2021, 07:20:26 PM »
            ---Al McGuire

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #147 on: May 11, 2021, 10:47:17 PM »
Bucs have a different approach than Packers in dealing with their QB strategic relations
https://www.masslive.com/sports/2021/05/tom-brady-played-huge-role-in-buccaneers-retaining-free-agents-because-hes-a-priceless-leader-per-gm-jason-licht.html

Gutey has shown nothing but a lack of respect to Rodgers. I mean even the Queens called Cousins and gave him a heads up that they were gonna draft a QB in the 3rd round.

The only good thing is that if Rodgers walks, Gutey will be gone in 2 years.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #148 on: May 12, 2021, 08:07:32 AM »
Gutey has done largely just fine.  Obviously should have communicated with Rodgers better, but I have no idea why you have it out for him so much.  The team has improved with him as GM from when it bottomed out at the end of the Thompson era.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #149 on: May 12, 2021, 08:40:13 AM »
Bucs have a different approach than Packers in dealing with their QB strategic relations
https://www.masslive.com/sports/2021/05/tom-brady-played-huge-role-in-buccaneers-retaining-free-agents-because-hes-a-priceless-leader-per-gm-jason-licht.html

Merits of the Pack/Gutey/12 communication mess aside, the ONLY reason we're hearing about the Vikings briefing players on potential picks, Brady talking to FAs, etc. is because of the situation in GB. It's trolling, which is fine, and if I were the Vikings and the only hope I had to win the division was to troll 12 out of the North, I'd give it a shot too. But let's not pretend that all this is something it's not.