'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DJ Carton going Pro  (Read 34515 times)

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Re: DJ Carton going Pro
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2021, 07:57:26 PM »
I wonder if having to sit behind Carton played any role in Tamar Bates' decision...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2021, 07:59:43 PM »
Good luck, DJ.   

Good luck, Coach.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2021, 08:00:41 PM »
I wonder if having to sit behind Carton played any role in Tamar Bates' decision...

Doubtful

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2021, 08:06:43 PM »
Muggsy

Keep the faith. I really like DJ and sorry to see him go. That said, there is zero doubt in my mind Shaka will continue to get his guys.

Agreed, surprised at all the pessimism on the board. Wojo had completely driven the program into the ground and I found myself caring less and less about the program with each passing day. Really excited to see the team Shaka puts out on the floor and the culture he establishes here. More now than ever, college basketball is about the program and not individual players.

There will be guys who can come in here and play and Shaka has a proven 12 year record of getting players. It would have been nice if Carton announced a little earlier though as it’s possible we could have been in on some other solid players earlier but it is what it is. There will be more. Long way to go. 

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2021, 08:07:59 PM »

zero
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2021, 08:08:27 PM »
all the excitements gone. its not fair to expect a new coach to field a tourney team in year or one or two but with there being so many transfer this year and it at one point looking like all 3 of our best were returning it felt like maybe shaka could get it going year one. just so deflating. the guard play next year yikes.. feels like "two more years" of waiting. 😵
you and Mugs gotta hug. It’s ok. He wasn’t that good. You’re caught up in nice dunks. Remember Tony Miller? What if Mitchell is similar? We’re ok. Hug it out bro.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2021, 08:14:31 PM »
you and Mugs gotta hug. It’s ok. He wasn’t that good. You’re caught up in nice dunks. Remember Tony Miller? What if Mitchell is similar? We’re ok. Hug it out bro.

We're a total question mark in the backcourt, especially at PG.  I'm not sure hugging it out solves the problem.  But if Mitchell is an immediate badass/impact player it will assuage some of my concerns.  Perhaps Shaka is not done but I didn't foresee this at all.   It's definitely a setback. 

Warriors88

• Walk-On
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2021, 08:20:01 PM »
College career for DJ -

Up and down performance first half of the year at OSU then quit the team. Minimal impact on the success of that team.
Nominal impact at Marquette in his sophomore year for a team that finished 9th in the BE and was not even close to an NCAA bid.

Not much of a legacy in his college career.  Hope he has bigger goals for his pro career.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2021, 08:20:47 PM »
There’s a few incoming freshman that are very happy.  Ellis and Mitchell will have to grow up fast.  Kolek is a real confident athlete that works hard. He now will become a leader.  Kur, Prosper, Joplin, Kolek and a freshman.  It will be interesting to say the least.  Athletic team that will have to play D. 

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2021, 08:22:16 PM »
I have no problem with any Wojo player leaving or staying.  MU is a new team.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2021, 08:23:01 PM »
Well, this is a blow to the program for next year.   Wish DJ all the best   Was glad he was at Marquette.

But next year is looking very iffy now.  Unless there is a fantastic replacement waiting in the wings

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2021, 08:30:11 PM »
5 new starters, it is like Kentucky or Duke, we will see what type of coach Shaka is, MU may not be that good but you still can win.  OK, I am forgetting Lewis, is he coming back?

Spirit Of James

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2021, 08:30:17 PM »
This is devastating, absolutely devastating.  I think I'll take a walk and recalibrate my expectations for 21-22.  #This Blows.

Cold shower, Mugs. The world will turn.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2021, 08:39:53 PM »
Good take. I think a lot of the reaction is based on the player we thought DJ could become under Shaka, but he may have been the same player we saw last year. Great at times, mediocre at others.

I agree with this analysis.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2021, 08:43:25 PM »
The word early on is he was at MU for one season. Why does anyone expect that to change.  Guys expect to get paid quick. They live in Team USA and McDs world where all their friends are doing it.

It affects the Henry’s, Joeys, Dawsons and DJs.

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2021, 08:45:04 PM »
The word early on is he was at MU for one season. Why does anyone expect that to change.  Guys expect to get paid quick. They live in Team USA and McDs world where all their friends are doing it.

It affects the Henry’s, Joeys, Dawsons and DJs.

Because unlike Dawson who declared awhile ago DJ was posting all this positive stuff about sticking around for another year.

In fact, didn't he even try to recruit rocket watts in the portal? I mean come on...
Maigh Eo for Sam

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2021, 08:48:14 PM »
Noo Ouch!
Best Wishes DJ
Looking for positives probably less turnovers with Mitchell or Whoever. Not sure if this is a positive but Probably a point guard who does not decide to turn it on more until near the end of games. Any word on Big 10 defensive player of the year Darryl Morsell

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2021, 08:58:06 PM »
It could be worse. Imagine losing DJ and Garcia to the pros and still having Wojo as the coach.

^this.

Btw. Without DJ & Dawson we drop to 120 t rank for next year

But on other note; this could help with Morsell potentially? Maryland mod was saying he wanted to play PG somewhere next year

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2021, 09:11:47 PM »
What do people foresee with O-Max?

mu.n8ball

• Starter
« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2021, 09:14:41 PM »
wasn't his mom also posting on social media about him staying? a surprise to be sure.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2021, 09:17:41 PM »
Off seasons extend into October.  Shaka has a plan.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2021, 09:20:32 PM »
Didn’t we finish under .500?

Good luck to DJ.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2021, 09:22:23 PM »
Off seasons extend into October.  Shaka has a plan.

Yes.  Long-term I think we'll be okay Lens.  Maybe Shaka has auxiliary options or something up his sleeve for 21-22.  I just didn't expect this it all after Carton's initial reaction to the hire.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2021, 09:24:48 PM »
DJ Carton is clearly a better NBA prospect than anyone MU has had in a while. Him shooting poorly from 3 and wojo making him do everything leading to turnovers doesn't change that. He makes FT's which means he can eventually shoot in the NBA. He can actually defend at the next level unlike Hauser's, Howard, Ellenson. Him leaving makes more sense than garcia even. Just weird timing.

feedback