[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: India  (Read 5359 times)

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Re: India
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2021, 03:29:50 PM »
About a day ago the US thankfully announced direct support to India.  Sounds like today the decision was made to release AZ vaccines (35M?) -- not sure if that is exclusively for India.  Could have come quicker in my opinion, but it seems the America First ethos still has a hold on policy to some extent.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/25/us-pledges-medical-aid-for-india-to-combat-surge-484584

There were liability concerns around us selling vaccines to any country while they were not approved by the FDA, funny enough.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2021, 04:45:33 PM »
There were liability concerns around us selling vaccines to any country while they were not approved by the FDA, funny enough.

I was thinking the other items (Vaccine supplies, vents, testing, expertise)...but yeah not surprised the vaccine approval was more challenging.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2021, 10:59:52 AM »
India is a disaster right now. Many indicating the death toll could be as high as 5x what is reported. That means 1 million dead.

Which makes me wonder if we will ever know the actual real death toll world wide. So many countries didn't even try to keep count and/or deliberately hid the total numbers. I think being off by a factor of 5 or more is likely quite common in many countries outside of Europe and the US.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2021, 12:28:49 PM »
India is a disaster right now. Many indicating the death toll could be as high as 5x what is reported. That means 1 million dead.

Which makes me wonder if we will ever know the actual real death toll world wide. So many countries didn't even try to keep count and/or deliberately hid the total numbers. I think being off by a factor of 5 or more is likely quite common in many countries outside of Europe and the US.

Hell, China is still trying to claim they have less than 5000 total COVID deaths.  I mean come on.

But to your point, I look at a country like Bangladesh.  163MM people in a country roughly the size of Wisconsin.  Insane population density, a fairly high poverty rate, and they’ve reported only 750K cases and 11K deaths.  Looking at the numbers for India alone tells you that’s like WAYYY off.  Similarly Pakistan, only 800K cases and 17K deaths.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2021, 02:24:09 PM »
Hell, China is still trying to claim they have less than 5000 total COVID deaths.  I mean come on.

But to your point, I look at a country like Bangladesh.  163MM people in a country roughly the size of Wisconsin.  Insane population density, a fairly high poverty rate, and they’ve reported only 750K cases and 11K deaths.  Looking at the numbers for India alone tells you that’s like WAYYY off.  Similarly Pakistan, only 800K cases and 17K deaths.

The old farmer health care plan.  Can't be sick if you never go to the doctor to tell you that you're sick.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2021, 02:42:34 PM »
Maybe they are deliberately slowing down testing in order to keep the numbers down.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2021, 04:56:31 PM »
Coworker’s entire family got it, including elderly father who had heart surgery just a couple months ago.
Family did masks, social distancing, and all other precautions.
Doing okay so far. And if anything happens no real easy way for him to get to India.

feedback