[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by MU82
[Today at 01:55:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: India  (Read 5291 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
India
« on: April 23, 2021, 07:51:12 AM »
I meant to start this thread a day or two ago when India started to take off in terms of case numbers.  Outside of the amount of suffering that India is currently going through, and will continue to go through the chances of several variants coming out of India is almost certain.  Hopefully none of them are able to bypass the vaccine or we could be back to square one.

Additionally, what India is reporting is nowhere near the amount of actual infections.  They don't have the capacity to test.

They're out of beds and oxygen...

Absolute nightmare scenario.

pbiflyer

• All American
Re: India
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 08:09:35 AM »
And they produce a large number of vaccines in the world. Production surely must be impacted at some point.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 08:15:47 AM »
And they produce a large number of vaccines in the world. Production surely must be impacted at some point.

I imagine that they've prioritized vaccinating people involved in the production and supply chain.

Also, I'm quite sure the USA has a pretty large amount of ventilators, etc. that India could really use.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 10:53:34 AM »
India’s test numbers, or case numbers, have been bogus from the start, to the low side by far.  Unless you are wealthy and will have access to a private hospital, people don’t get tested for fear of stigma.  The benefit is that at least they aren’t out and about spreading, but given the population density and multi-generational households, it’s still a powder keg.   From all my team and friends that I talk to there, India has been lagging during the whole pandemic timeline, no matter what has been reported, and nobody has much faith in them getting it right. 

I know multiple elderly high risk people, of affluent means and connections, in India who still haven’t been vaccinated, and it’s not a matter of not wanting to.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2021, 11:06:41 AM »
India’s test numbers, or case numbers, have been bogus from the start, to the low side by far.  Unless you are wealthy and will have access to a private hospital, people don’t get tested for fear of stigma.  The benefit is that at least they aren’t out and about spreading, but given the population density and multi-generational households, it’s still a powder keg.   From all my team and friends that I talk to there, India has been lagging during the whole pandemic timeline, no matter what has been reported, and nobody has much faith in them getting it right. 

I know multiple elderly high risk people, of affluent means and connections, in India who still haven’t been vaccinated, and it’s not a matter of not wanting to.

They've been exporting their vaccines, mostly.  Also, the caste system is still a huge part of society.  Absolutely agree that it's a huge mess.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2021, 11:22:13 AM »
We should be instituting the same ban as for people flying from the EU, etc and certainly should get rid of the air bridge -I’m not sure why it was allowed in the first place.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2021, 11:22:56 AM »
I have multiple zoom calls with our staff in India this week and it is really, really bad. I would say that everything is pretty much locked down. This is a very serious situation and I am afraid they cannot handle the outbreak. Our country manager found out her elderly Dad tested positive and she is awaiting word on her covid test.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2021, 12:11:40 PM »
I have multiple zoom calls with our staff in India this week and it is really, really bad. I would say that everything is pretty much locked down. This is a very serious situation and I am afraid they cannot handle the outbreak.

I heard the same from my friend in Chennai. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2021, 01:16:50 PM »
We should be instituting the same ban as for people flying from the EU, etc and certainly should get rid of the air bridge -I’m not sure why it was allowed in the first place.

Absolutely.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2021, 01:47:31 PM »
I don’t mean to be overly disrespectful or harsh, but from dealing with the Indian government and logistics there extensively over the last 5 years, the only way to contain this is gonna have to be externally like the UAE did, stopping all flights or the like.  The Indian government is absurdly bureaucratic and slow moving/adjusting.  So if there are dangerous variants or caseloads that could be exported, they will be before the government could get a lock on it.

There was just a Vistara flight to HK that produced 47 cases while they quarantined in HK after landing.  There is no doubt in my mind that there were forged vaccine cards or some other skirting of rules that allowed them to board in a compromised state. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2021, 12:15:31 AM »
Reading reports out of India that they're out of oxygen is heartbreaking... and even more heartbreaking knowing that those in hospitals are the lucky ones.  There must be thousands uncounted suffering.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2021, 12:18:51 AM »
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1385792047039275012?s=19

This graph is... I dont know, I have no words. :'(

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2021, 12:53:26 AM »
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1385792047039275012?s=19

This graph is... I dont know, I have no words. :'(

Honestly, I bet it’s undercounted by 2-3x, which is awful in and of itself.  I do think there is more natural immunity/resistance given what the average Indian is exposed to fairly often, but it’s gonna burn through that country with quickness.   It’s horrible

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2021, 01:37:18 AM »
There’s an outbreak in a Australia traced to a couple who arrived from from India who passed it to people in adjacent rooms in a quarantine hotel.
And a number of arrivals in Canada have ended up testing positive.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2021, 04:50:07 AM »
Honestly, I bet it’s undercounted by 2-3x, which is awful in and of itself.  I do think there is more natural immunity/resistance given what the average Indian is exposed to fairly often, but it’s gonna burn through that country with quickness.   It’s horrible

I’ve seen references that the death count is 10x reported. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2021, 08:39:52 AM »
Reminds me .. a couple years ago I'm having lunch with a team of people, 6 of them from India.  Somehow we got to talking about flu shots. 

They looked at me funny, I was the only one to get the flu shot.

"Dude, come to India for a month.  You'll be exposed to every virus known to man and will never need vaccinations again."

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2021, 11:47:52 AM »
I just glanced at their TripAdvisor forum -lots of posts about domestic travel going on, people saying they are going here, going there, what restrictions might they face, with the proverbial shrug of the shoulders.....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2021, 07:42:07 AM »
As experts try to figure out what happened in India, these two paragraphs from the NYT are interesting:

Confident they had beaten Covid, government officials relaxed restrictions on virtually all activities, including weddings, political rallies and religious gatherings. The northern town of Haridwar held one of the world’s biggest gatherings this month, with millions of people celebrating the Hindu festival Kumbh Mela.

By mid-March, though, the virus was beginning to reassert itself. A major factor appears to be that many people who previously had mild or asymptomatic cases of Covid remained vulnerable to it. (A recent academic study, done in China, suggests that mild cases confer only limited immunity.) The emergence of contagious new variants is playing a role, too. This combination — less immunity than many people thought, new variants and a resumption of activities — seems to have led to multiple superspreader events, said Dr. Jennifer Lighter of New York University.

+++

Meanwhile, the authoritarian India government ordered Facebook, Instagram and Twitter to take down posts critical of its handling of the pandemic.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2021, 11:43:02 AM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/VincentRK/status/1386018015905468417

Does anyone know if we are sending ventilators, AZ vaccine, or any assistance their way??  And if not why not?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2021, 11:48:09 AM »

Does anyone know if we are sending ventilators, AZ vaccine, or any assistance their way??  And if not why not?

Heard a clip from an interview with Dr. Fauci that all of those are being discussed. Not sure if a formal decision or plan has been made.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2021, 11:49:50 AM »
We have a policy of getting US citizens vaccinated first. I'm not sure we've entered the phase of assisting other countries yet. Once we enter that phase we should be helping Canada and Mexico first.

This is a humanitarian question, but also a national defense question.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2021, 11:53:35 AM »
We have a policy of getting US citizens vaccinated first. I'm not sure we've entered the phase of assisting other countries yet. Once we enter that phase we should be helping Canada and Mexico first.

This is a humanitarian question, but also a national defense question.

We have stockpiled AZ vaccine we aren't using because it hasn't been approved.  We have more vaccine than demand anyway.  So I don't see any harm in exporting vaccine now. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2021, 12:38:33 PM »

I have a client who makes motors for ventilators and I noticed a large shipment due to India for those range of part numbers.  I wonder if we are sending them components and they are taking care of the rest?

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2021, 12:44:13 PM »
About a day ago the US thankfully announced direct support to India.  Sounds like today the decision was made to release AZ vaccines (35M?) -- not sure if that is exclusively for India.  Could have come quicker in my opinion, but it seems the America First ethos still has a hold on policy to some extent.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/25/us-pledges-medical-aid-for-india-to-combat-surge-484584

MU82

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2021, 12:53:00 PM »
About a day ago the US thankfully announced direct support to India.  Sounds like today the decision was made to release AZ vaccines (35M?) -- not sure if that is exclusively for India.  Could have come quicker in my opinion, but it seems the America First ethos still has a hold on policy to some extent.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/25/us-pledges-medical-aid-for-india-to-combat-surge-484584

Yes, we and other nations need to do whatever we reasonably can do for India. The world is a small place.

feedback