collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: A Little Help From My Friends  (Read 4189 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
A Little Help From My Friends
« on: April 19, 2021, 10:22:17 AM »
My 50th year reunion from Marquette was scheduled for June of last year but along came Covid19. It was rescheduled for this June but once again canceled. 8 of us (16 including wives) decided not to wait for 2022 and are having our own mini reunion June 4th and 5th. Three in the group are quasi local (Illinois) the rest are coming from far away places (2 Florida, 1 California, 1 Maine and 1 all the way from Jordan).

Of course reconvening is the high point, the rest tangential - but still some sort of agenda is necessary. One of the guys is contacting the Alumni Office (access to 4South Schroeder Hall, a tour of the Al McGuire Center?). A lunch at Real Chili is a must.

That leaves room for one lunch, two dinners and several activities. The 5 O’clock Steakhouse (Coerper’s?) is a possibility as is a lunch at Sobelman’s. Brewers are in town, games Friday night or Saturday afternoon - but we’re a pretty big group so that may not be feasible. Are there river boat tours that are interesting? Any “fests” that weekend?

Any ideas for meals or activities would be very much appreciated. We’re staying downtown but have cars and can travel. Thanks in advance.

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: A Little Help From My Friends
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 10:25:18 AM »
Wings at Points East are a must for anyone not able to get a weekly dose of them.
Maigh Eo for Sam

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 10:27:55 AM »
I think you should all wear those down-filled parkas or Army field jackets loaded down with PBRs and march from Schroeder downing at least three beers each before reaching the Arena.

Death on call

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 10:35:54 AM »
That leaves room for one lunch, two dinners and several activities. The 5 O’clock Steakhouse (Coerper’s?) is a possibility as is a lunch at Sobelman’s. Brewers are in town, games Friday night or Saturday afternoon - but we’re a pretty big group so that may not be feasible. Are there river boat tours that are interesting? Any “fests” that weekend?

Any ideas for meals or activities would be very much appreciated. We’re staying downtown but have cars and can travel. Thanks in advance.

The fests are canceled. Beer gardens will be open.

Some of the steakhouses might have private dining options to accommodate 16, but it might be a challenge for some of the other restaurants.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 10:44:44 AM »
Wings at Points East are a must for anyone not able to get a weekly dose of them.

That’s a tough place for 16 people. Maybe during the afternoon.

We’ve rented pontoon boats on the Milwaukee River which was fun. The one we did was 10/boat, so you’d need two. I would assume there’s some larger options. Plenty of cool spots to pull the boat up to and get out.

The Estabrook or Hubbard park beer gardens are fun, but a bit north of the city. Plenty of breweries with nice outdoor spaces (especially City Lights and Third Space for before a Brewers game). You could do Sobelmans with those two as well.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 10:48:56 AM »
Pedal Taverns might be back this summer, tons of fun unless no one wants to pedal.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2021, 10:54:48 AM »
That’s a tough place for 16 people. Maybe during the afternoon.

We’ve rented pontoon boats on the Milwaukee River which was fun. The one we did was 10/boat, so you’d need two. I would assume there’s some larger options. Plenty of cool spots to pull the boat up to and get out.

The Estabrook or Hubbard park beer gardens are fun, but a bit north of the city. Plenty of breweries with nice outdoor spaces (especially City Lights and Third Space for before a Brewers game). You could do Sobelmans with those two as well.

Don't they do reservations in the back room now that they've expanded? Never tried but I was there once and they had the back room doors closed and told me there was a party in there
Maigh Eo for Sam

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 11:02:00 AM »
Don't they do reservations in the back room now that they've expanded? Never tried but I was there once and they had the back room doors closed and told me there was a party in there

I didn’t realize that. It’s been a while (too long) since I’ve been there. If so, and your group likes wings, that’s a great spot. Plus, it’s pretty much in the middle of anywhere you’d want to go.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 11:04:23 AM »
Rickey's has a VIP Lounge area

Death on call

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2021, 11:10:46 AM »
Rickey's has a VIP Lounge area

Beat me to it.   8-)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2021, 11:29:39 AM »
Beat me to it.   8-)

They could all give plasma for $10 then hit the Midget before heading into Rickey's VIP Lounge

Death on call

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2021, 11:46:11 AM »
I'd second renting a pontoon on the Milwaukee River (self-guided).  I've done that several times and it's always been a blast.  They mostly only fit about 10-12 but they also have a few larger boats (Edelweiss) if you don't mind melding with some other groups.   

There's also a paddle boat tavern on the river that is fun and may accommodate 16 and it comes with a captain.  The pedaling is just a gimmick, you don't have to peddle at all.

Lunch at the Milwaukee Public Market is also worthwhile but you can't really all sit together with that large a group.

Brewery tour?  Lakefront Brewery has a good one but there are many others too.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2021, 11:46:51 AM »
As for activities .. the Harley museum is pretty cool, doesn't matter if you like motorcycles or not ..  Also .. their restaurant is quite good, right on the river, good views.

If not a Brewer game, you can go to the restaurant at Miller Park with the stupid name:  https://rtbnl.com  .. might be a little chilly, but sitting outside (inside the stadium) is kinda cool for vitistors.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2021, 12:40:39 PM »
My wife just booked a back room at La Merenda for a Friday night in May.  I would definitely suggest that, or they have a great patio.  MU alum owns it. 

Other friends have had success with back room at Mason Street Grill (in the Pfister).

Also look into drinks on the rooftop at Journeyman Hotel (Kimpton) in the 3rd Ward.

My suggestion would be pre book as many meals as possible given your group size.  Milwaukee restaurants seem to be able to manage groups like yours better than Chicago can right now.  If you give them enough heads up, they'll treat you like royalty.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2021, 12:51:53 PM »
My wife just booked a back room at La Merenda for a Friday night in May.  I would definitely suggest that, or they have a great patio.  MU alum owns it. 

Other friends have had success with back room at Mason Street Grill (in the Pfister).

Good call on La Merenda. Another place downtown I'd recommend is Amilinda, but I don't know about a group that size in their space. Food is really good, though.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2021, 01:06:37 PM »
Pizza Man on Downer (East side) has a wine room that would be perfect for your group.  I would put that on the list as well.  They also have space upstairs that can be 50-50 inside / outside.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2021, 04:42:40 PM »
I try to hit 5 o’clock steakhouse every time I go to Milwaukee so I agree with that.

I’ve also rented pontoons before and it’s always a blast. Highly recommend it
Bring back FFP!!!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2021, 10:45:09 PM »
They could all give plasma for $10 then hit the Midget before heading into Rickey's VIP Lounge

Sadly, the Midget burned down a couple decades back.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2021, 11:22:14 PM »
Hope you have a great 50-year reunion, Lenny!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2021, 09:31:44 AM »
Too bad The Dark Room at St. Kate's is still closed but a cocktail in the lobby bar might be a nice touch.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2021, 02:22:18 PM »
Sadly, the Midget burned down a couple decades back.

The world is a lesser place

Death on call

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2021, 03:54:53 PM »
Hope you have a great 50-year reunion, Lenny!

Thanks, Gooo - and thanks to all for sharing ideas!

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2021, 05:41:20 PM »
Very nice idea. Last year was supposed to be my 45th, which got postponed until this year, and now is all zoom so I fear it will be the 50th before I see the other ‘reunion regulars’.
One of the guys is maybe going to put together our own zoom gathering, not through the Alumni office.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2021, 11:36:53 PM »
I hope you end up having a great event, Lenny. Let us know how it went!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2021, 12:50:40 PM »
Had our Schroeder Hall 4South mini reunion in Milwaukee this weekend and had a blast. 7 guys (and wives) showed up - three from Florida, 1 from Maine, 2 from Chicago, one from central Wisconsin. Great (albeit hot) weather, lots of shared memories. Thanks to all for some good ideas - I incorporated many of them in our “final agenda” which was as follows:

Friday - met at Real Chili for lunch, walk the campus (which included a tour of the Al and the new facility for the golf, lacrosse and soccer teams, a look inside Schroeder at our old floor - couldn’t believe how little it had changed - and the obligatory trip to the Union Building Spirit Shop. Casual Friday night - drinks at the rooftop bar at the Journeyman and dinner at Pizzaman (thanks Lens and others)

Saturday included (among other things) a 2 hour boat ride on the Milwaukee River/Lake Michigan, drinks at Blu and dinner in a private room at the Mason Street Grill.

Sunday breakfast and departure. Again, thanks to all for your help. More laughs/fun than any of us imagined. We’re going to make the event an annual one - I recommend something similar for all alums from every class.