collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Another Black man killed by cops ... this time by accident?  (Read 84794 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Another Black man killed by cops ... this time by accident?
« Reply #800 on: June 05, 2021, 03:56:22 PM »
And this has something to do about a black man getting killed by police because........

A lot of the discussion here has been about systemic racism, not just in policing but in American society.

And yes, we do have a poster who proudly uses an acronym in his screen name that he has to know that a significant majority of Black people would find offensive.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #801 on: June 25, 2021, 04:20:05 PM »
Sentence for Chauvin: 22 1/2 years. Doesn't seem like enough for a murderous scumbag like him.

https://apnews.com/article/derek-chauvin-sentencing-23c52021812168c579b3886f8139c73d

It's less than the 30 years prosecutors requested ... but it's 10 years more than the 12 1/2 year sentence prescribed under Minnesota state guidelines, with Judge Peter Cahill citing “your abuse of a position of trust and authority and also the particular cruelty” shown to George Floyd.

With good behavior, Chauvin could be paroled after about 15 years. He'd be 60.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #802 on: June 25, 2021, 04:51:57 PM »
Sentence for Chauvin: 22 1/2 years. Doesn't seem like enough for a murderous scumbag like him.

https://apnews.com/article/derek-chauvin-sentencing-23c52021812168c579b3886f8139c73d

It's less than the 30 years prosecutors requested ... but it's 10 years more than the 12 1/2 year sentence prescribed under Minnesota state guidelines, with Judge Peter Cahill citing “your abuse of a position of trust and authority and also the particular cruelty” shown to George Floyd.

With good behavior, Chauvin could be paroled after about 15 years. He'd be 60.
There are still Federal Charges pending. He Gowne

MU82

• All American
« Reply #803 on: June 25, 2021, 10:14:43 PM »
There are still Federal Charges pending. He Gowne

Good.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #804 on: August 08, 2021, 08:17:02 PM »
Chicago police officer killed in the line of duty last night. Another in critical condition. 3 suspects in custody. Criminals have never felt so empowered during encounters with police.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/08/07/us/chicago-police-officers-shot/index.html

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #805 on: August 08, 2021, 08:28:32 PM »
Chicago police officer killed in the line of duty last night. Another in critical condition. 3 suspects in custody. Criminals have never felt so empowered during encounters with police.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/08/07/us/chicago-police-officers-shot/index.html
We should probably drastically reduce the ridiculous number of firearms in this country.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 09:58:02 AM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #806 on: August 08, 2021, 09:28:27 PM »

Your last line is an opinion. As for the rest of your post, that's awful, beyond sad. We all should feel terrible for the families of those slain officers.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #807 on: August 08, 2021, 09:57:00 PM »
We should probably drastically reduce the ridiculously firearms in this country.

how we going to carry this out sparky?  you do realize most of the guns used for crime are obtained illegally, stolen, black market, etc.  law abiding people respect our laws, criminals umm, don't.  so you want to punish law abiding people while allowing criminals to continue to obtain guns to harm innocent people 

https://bjs.ojp.gov/content/pub/pdf/suficspi16.pdf

your family is under threat of bodily harm...what are you going to do?  call the de-funded police?
average time for police to respond to call-depending on where you are?  10-60 minutes.  might as well call an ambulance or the coroner while you're at it

https://www.safesmartliving.com/average-police-response-time/
don't...don't don't don't don't

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #808 on: August 08, 2021, 10:04:34 PM »
  how we going to carry this out sparky?  you do realize most of the guns used for crime are obtained illegally, stolen, black market, etc.  law abiding people respect our laws, criminals umm, don't.  so you want to punish law abiding people while allowing criminals to continue to obtain guns to harm innocent people 

your family is under threat of bodily harm...what are you going to do?  call the de-funded police?
average time for police to respond to call-depending on where you are?  10-60 minutes.  might as well call an ambulance or the coroner while you're at it

Somebody should look up the stats on countries that do have strict gun control.

But yes. The answer is more guns. Hope you have a quick trigger because whoever draws first survives.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #809 on: August 09, 2021, 07:47:11 AM »
This is an example of how systemic racism need not be codified into law to exist. It simply wouldn't have happened had these innocent people been white.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/08/06/black-realtor-michigan-police-handcuffed/?utm_campaign=pdb&utm_content=Monday_08.09.21&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email

As a police officer turned Roy Thorne around to cuff his hands behind his back, the 45-year-old father saw the same happening to his 15-year-old son.

Feelings came quickly then to Thorne, who’s Black: rage that his son was being arrested. Humiliation that the teenager had to watch his dad get handcuffed while the whole neighborhood looked on. Confusion about how viewing a house with his real estate agent on a Sunday afternoon could lead to a half-dozen police officers pointing guns at them.

But more than anything: powerlessness. Thorne could do nothing other than obey in a desperate attempt not to die.

“I just felt defeated,” he told The Washington Post. “That’s something you never want your kid to see.”

Thorne and his son were touring a home Sunday with real estate agent Eric Brown, who’s also Black, in Wyoming, Mich., when police suddenly surrounded the house with guns drawn. The officers were responding to a neighbor’s 911 call about a break-in. They ordered the three out of the house, handcuffed them and put them in separate vehicles.

Except it wasn’t a break-in. Brown, 46, who has been working in the Grand Rapids area market for 20 years, arrived at the house on Sharon Avenue SW around 2 p.m. Thorne brought his 15-year-old son, Samuel.

Thorne and Brown said they were racially profiled. If they were White, they said, neighbors wouldn’t have called the police. And if they did, some half-dozen officers would not have surrounded the place with guns drawn, the men added.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #810 on: August 09, 2021, 07:57:20 AM »

It's particularly egregious when elected officials dismiss attacks on law enforcement after years of voicing their support.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/january-6-republicans-trump/2021/07/27/79a29e38-eef4-11eb-bf80-e3877d9c5f06_story.html
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #811 on: August 09, 2021, 08:37:59 AM »

He's so close to getting the point, but can't quite drag himself over the finish line.
Studies focusing on Chicago have found that most guns used in crimes there were purchased legally in states with loose restrictions - most often Indiana, but also Mississippi, Wisconsin, Ohio, Kentucky, Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama and Texas - and then brought back to Chicago.
This could be largely addressed with laws in these states requiring a license to buy a gun there and a firearm registry. But the gun lobbies and businesses won't allow that. They'd rather get rich off the bloodshed in Chicago.

Your periodic reminder that a gun in the home is 22 times more likely to be used to harm member of the household than to protect a member of the household.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #812 on: August 09, 2021, 10:01:12 AM »
He's so close to getting the point, but can't quite drag himself over the finish line.
Studies focusing on Chicago have found that most guns used in crimes there were purchased legally in states with loose restrictions - most often Indiana, but also Mississippi, Wisconsin, Ohio, Kentucky, Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama and Texas - and then brought back to Chicago.
This could be largely addressed with laws in these states requiring a license to buy a gun there and a firearm registry. But the gun lobbies and businesses won't allow that. They'd rather get rich off the bloodshed in Chicago.

Your periodic reminder that a gun in the home is 22 times more likely to be used to harm member of the household than to protect a member of the household.

Oh there you go again, using facts and stuff about how ridiculously easy it is to get legal guns into the hands of criminals.

As for your second point ...

In 2020, there were at least 369 unintended shootings by children in the United States. These shootings caused 142 deaths and 242 injuries.

https://www.healthychildren.org/English/safety-prevention/at-home/Pages/Handguns-in-the-Home.aspx

Those are just the known cases, and they don't count suicides.

Dozens of those were by toddlers.

You know what they say: The only way to stop a bad fart-sound-making 5-year-old is a good toddler with a gun!

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #813 on: August 09, 2021, 10:02:39 AM »

Yes I know, the "criminals will just break the law, why do we even have laws anyway?" argument.

With such ironclad, irrefutable logic as this it would be pointless for me to even attempt a counter-argument. You're too smart for me.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #814 on: August 09, 2021, 10:43:24 AM »

It's particularly egregious when elected officials dismiss attacks on law enforcement after years of voicing their support.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/january-6-republicans-trump/2021/07/27/79a29e38-eef4-11eb-bf80-e3877d9c5f06_story.html

You might need to take a short break. You posts are starting to sound as though they were written by me.  :)

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #815 on: August 09, 2021, 12:39:12 PM »
Are you guys still at this?
What a waste of time.
Why are right wing Republicans afraid of black men?
Because they watch FOX.
Because they live and work in a white world.
They don't know black men or the black culture.
Because they don't know how many names of people on the Vietnam memorial wall are afro-American. (14%)
Because they are fearful whimps.
Why waste time talking to them?
I just walk away, I turn on my heals and walk away from them.

I played golf with one of these been nowhere done nothing thugs.
He had to tell me that his son was a state trooper retireing early because he felt he had lost his "power", whatever that means.
I walked away, end of conversation that never really got started.
At the 19th hole he tried to make nice, nice.
I sad, nice weather and walked away.

The only solution is a change of generation. 
Gun collections will be like ash trays, or heal taps, totally yesterday.

Don't waste your time trying to reason with fearful people.
Just say a prayer and walk away.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #816 on: August 09, 2021, 01:13:46 PM »
Are you guys still at this?
What a waste of time.
Why are right wing Republicans afraid of black men?
Because they watch FOX.
Because they live and work in a white world.
They don't know black men or the black culture.
Because they don't know how many names of people on the Vietnam memorial wall are afro-American. (14%)
Because they are fearful whimps.
Why waste time talking to them?
I just walk away, I turn on my heals and walk away from them.

I played golf with one of these been nowhere done nothing thugs.
He had to tell me that his son was a state trooper retireing early because he felt he had lost his "power", whatever that means.
I walked away, end of conversation that never really got started.
At the 19th hole he tried to make nice, nice.
I sad, nice weather and walked away.

The only solution is a change of generation. 
Gun collections will be like ash trays, or heal taps, totally yesterday.

Don't waste your time trying to reason with fearful people.
Just say a prayer and walk away.

Interesting...  So right wing conservatives make false stereotypes of black men because they lack an understanding of them.   So you decide to make a post showing how you stereotype right wing conservatives because of your lack of understanding of them. 

Nicely done!   Teal/No teal?   I can't tell if this is satirical or not.   It's a masterpiece either way though, the question just becomes who's the butt of the joke?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #817 on: August 09, 2021, 01:17:47 PM »
Interesting...  So right wing conservatives make false stereotypes of black men because they lack an understanding of them.   So you decide to make a post showing how you stereotype right wing conservatives because of your lack of understanding of them. 

Nicely done!   Teal/No teal?   I can't tell if this is satirical or not.   It's a masterpiece either way though, the question just becomes who's the butt of the joke?

Vogue's been making a fool of himself for 90+ years.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #818 on: August 09, 2021, 01:20:33 PM »

You are comparing accidental at home handgun incidents to shooting a police officer in the face?  How bout the 7 people shot on video in Chicago this weekend.   We're those accidental too?  Guns obtained legally or in one of dem der red states?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #819 on: August 09, 2021, 01:56:40 PM »
You are comparing accidental at home handgun incidents to shooting a police officer in the face?  How bout the 7 people shot on video in Chicago this weekend.   We're those accidental too?  Guns obtained legally or in one of dem der red states?

Only an idiot would read my post and think I was making that comparison.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #820 on: August 09, 2021, 03:05:06 PM »
Legal or illegal, blue state or red state, accidental or intentional...reducing the insanely easy access to guns would be a good place to start.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #821 on: August 09, 2021, 03:20:27 PM »

well at least BLM and Antifa groups were out protesting and rioting over this tragic and heinous action. Oh, wait...
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #822 on: August 09, 2021, 03:26:50 PM »

Well, if Chicago hadn't elected such a limp dick mayor, some of this chit would never happen, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #823 on: August 09, 2021, 03:28:08 PM »
well at least BLM and Antifa groups were out protesting and rioting over this tragic and heinous action. Oh, wait...

Why would they? Everyone agrees that is awful and the officers deserve justice. There's no need for a protest
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #824 on: August 09, 2021, 03:28:30 PM »

As were Blue Lives Matter patriots.
Just kidding, they just went on the ihternet and posted non sequiturs. They don't actually care about cops.