[Today at 01:55:49 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU82
[Today at 01:53:15 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: TBT 2021  (Read 71177 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: TBT 2021
« Reply #100 on: May 25, 2021, 01:01:49 PM »
You might very well be right. I personally had no idea who Ultimate Warrior was, and if forced to guess would have said MMA or something similar; I certainly wasn't familiar enough to know about his past statements.

I think for the most part, wrestling fans would be the only ones immediately aware, but there's a surprisingly large cross section of WWE/Big East fans (led by the former Big East Coast Bias podcast hosts) which is why it immediately stood out as a poor choice to me.

After Gold, it just amazes me anyone would make a shift like this without doing a Google search first.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #101 on: May 25, 2021, 01:29:39 PM »
If anyone is really that offended by the new name, then they have two options: 1) not watch or support the team or 2) watch the team as a hypocrite but continue to demand the team changes its name through social media or letter writing campaigns.  Do I agree with what Ultimate Warrior said?  Absolutely not.  Does the team utilizing a log that incorporates his wrestling gimmick automatically speak to my personal views?  Again, no. 

Unfortunately, there will always be tremendously unhappy people that will not be content until everyone around them is as unhappy as they are.  Very unfortunate.

+ 1,000,000,000. Perfect summation. Thank you.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #102 on: May 25, 2021, 01:31:10 PM »
We're approaching 30 years as Golden Eagles.  One of our greatest traditions is we don't have traditions.  We change uniforms, mascots and nickname more than the Pittsburgh Steelers change coaches. 

Let's starting working on the next name and let's trial balloon it with TBT.

Page 2 in the Nickname Change Case Study PowerPoint: Ultimate Warriors probably a no-go.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #103 on: May 25, 2021, 01:46:46 PM »

+ 1,000,000,000. Perfect summation. Thank you.

What?  Is anyone who complained about the name doing anything but complaining about the name?  You went on and on with your mindless “woke” comment but then your fine with what he said?

Man you’re really slipping...
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #104 on: May 25, 2021, 02:07:17 PM »
If anyone is really that offended by the new name, then they have two options: 1) not watch or support the team or 2) watch the team as a hypocrite but continue to demand the team changes its name through social media or letter writing campaigns.  Do I agree with what Ultimate Warrior said?  Absolutely not.  Does the team utilizing a log that incorporates his wrestling gimmick automatically speak to my personal views?  Again, no. 

Unfortunately, there will always be tremendously unhappy people that will not be content until everyone around them is as unhappy as they are.  Very unfortunate.

I'm pretty sure none of us who don't like the name are demanding a name change "through social media or letter writing campaigns".  We're just pointing out the naming a basketball team after a guy who clearly outed himself as racist and homophobic in real life seems like an odd choice.  I honestly think the guys probably have no idea about his persona outside of wrestling, but if you were to show them his comments on Katrina victims, MLK, etc. today, they probably wouldn't make the same choice. 

And being mindful of other's feelings and/or who I hold in high esteem doesn't make me unhappy. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #105 on: May 25, 2021, 02:13:23 PM »
I'm pretty sure none of us who don't like the name are demanding a name change "through social media or letter writing campaigns".  We're just pointing out the naming a basketball team after a guy who clearly outed himself as racist and homophobic in real life seems like an odd choice.  I honestly think the guys probably have no idea about his persona outside of wrestling, but if you were to show them his comments on Katrina victims, MLK, etc. today, they probably wouldn't make the same choice. 

And being mindful of other's feelings and/or who I hold in high esteem doesn't make me unhappy.

Right.  This idea that the only way you'd point out that the person you are celebrating was a racist homophobe is if you're a miserable people who is only happy by sucking all the joy out of everyone else's life is laughable.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #106 on: May 25, 2021, 04:53:16 PM »

There are posters in this thread that have used social media at the TBT account demanding that it be changed.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #107 on: May 25, 2021, 05:08:35 PM »
There are posters in this thread that have used social media at the TBT account demanding that it be changed.

Not one person “demanded” that it be changed. Brew asked that they reconsider.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #108 on: May 25, 2021, 05:14:48 PM »
The Ultimate Warrior was a character played by a guy. Just because he changed his named does not make him the character from the WWF. If Christian Bale changed his name to Bruce Wayne doesn't make him Batman. Same with the 10,000 characters played by actors and actresses over time.

So the guy who played the Ultimate Warrior was a scum bag. Doesn't change that his character was wildly popular and in no way reflects on the guys who are playing. Move along.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #109 on: May 25, 2021, 05:29:50 PM »
The Ultimate Warrior was a character played by a guy. Just because he changed his named does not make him the character from the WWF. If Christian Bale changed his name to Bruce Wayne doesn't make him Batman. Same with the 10,000 characters played by actors and actresses over time.

So the guy who played the Ultimate Warrior was a scum bag. Doesn't change that his character was wildly popular and in no way reflects on the guys who are playing. Move along.

He also invented the character. Christian Bale didn't invent Bruce Wayne.
Maigh Eo for Sam

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #110 on: May 25, 2021, 05:35:07 PM »
Means nothing. What horrible statement did he make while in character (during an appearance at a WWF event)? Willie Wapum is racist. Then we would should erase every player who played during that era. And I'll stop watching Seinfeld because the rant Michael Richards had a few years ago. After all. Just because it's a made up character.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #111 on: May 25, 2021, 05:42:57 PM »
Willie Wapum is racist.

That alone is reason enough to not try to throw back to that nickname.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #112 on: May 25, 2021, 05:43:51 PM »
Means nothing. What horrible statement did he make while in character (during an appearance at a WWF event)? Willie Wapum is racist. Then we would should erase every player who played during that era. And I'll stop watching Seinfeld because the rant Michael Richards had a few years ago. After all. Just because it's a made up character.

More terrible analogies.

Lotsa people struggled with logic back in the day...

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #113 on: May 25, 2021, 05:57:59 PM »
He's a made up character (thus the WWE lawsuit against him). But I guess you think Godfather was a real pimp outside the ring. Or Iron Sheik loved the Aytollah even though he fled Iran. And Ivan Kolofff, also known as the Russian Bear, grew up on a dairy farm in Canada.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #114 on: May 25, 2021, 06:04:12 PM »
That alone is reason enough to not try to throw back to that nickname.
True, the Marquette Willies would be a terrible nickname
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #115 on: May 25, 2021, 06:55:27 PM »
He's a made up character (thus the WWE lawsuit against him). But I guess you think Godfather was a real pimp outside the ring. Or Iron Sheik loved the Aytollah even though he fled Iran. And Ivan Kolofff, also known as the Russian Bear, grew up on a dairy farm in Canada.

Nope. Think again. They are indistinguishable regardless of what other characters you are mentioning.

Are you planning on going 3/3 in bad analogies? 

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #116 on: May 25, 2021, 09:03:04 PM »
And because these wrestling characters are indistinguishable is why Knoxville elected Kane as their mayor. For non wrestling fans Google Kane WWE and tell me what in the characters plot lines would make you want to vote for him as mayor.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #117 on: May 25, 2021, 09:30:05 PM »

Lotsa people struggled with logic back in the day...

Many of you still are.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #118 on: May 25, 2021, 09:33:04 PM »
What?  Is anyone who complained about the name doing anything but complaining about the name?  You went on and on with your mindless “woke” comment but then your fine with what he said?

I went “on and on” says the guy who constantly goes on and on and on and on? Try some self awareness, Sultan...it would look good on you.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #119 on: May 26, 2021, 07:53:14 AM »
I went “on and on” says the guy who constantly goes on and on and on and on? Try some self awareness, Sultan...it would look good on you.

Deflection because you can't defend your point.  Or you more likely forgot it.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #120 on: May 26, 2021, 11:08:58 AM »
Pathetic.

Go Warriors!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

mumi27

• Starter
« Reply #121 on: May 26, 2021, 02:39:34 PM »
The national nightmare is over

https://twitter.com/GoldenEaglesTBT/status/1397636117709611009

“After further review, we have decided to go back to GOLDEN EAGLES. We were not aware of and do not stand for any negative views associated with the rebrand. WE. ARE. (Still) the GOLDEN EAGLES.”

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #122 on: May 26, 2021, 02:43:52 PM »
Cue Emily Latella:  "Never mind."    ;D
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #123 on: May 26, 2021, 02:50:23 PM »
To date:  The bloggers have killed Wojo & The Ultimate Warrior. 

Who will they turn on next?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #124 on: May 26, 2021, 03:21:09 PM »
Looks like an oversight by the team and glad they corrected it. I had no idea of the past until reading this thread.