[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Shaka on Jim Rome today  (Read 9440 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: Shaka on Jim Rome today
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 04:03:52 PM »
What a great interview.  Talked about the "seriousness" of the Baylor team and how you could even see it in their warm ups.  How they still played with enthusiasm, but really paid attention to their work on the court.

Also you can see why he seems to be on a lot of guards and wings.  Talked about how the game has gotten smaller.  "There aren't many power forwards like Karl Malone any longer."
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 04:27:02 PM »
Solid interview.  It’s great to have at least a little bit of salesmanship back with the coach making the national circuits.  Wojo may have done some of that in the beginning.  I can’t remember.  But I can see Shaka keeping us more in a national spotlight.  Obviously winning will have to come first.
Wish we had Rome in Milwaukee.  We have like 25 sports radio stations and somehow we can’t manage to find a spot for his CBS radio show.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 04:45:06 PM »
Can never have too many athletic guards and wings.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 04:52:01 PM »
Solid interview.  It’s great to have at least a little bit of salesmanship back with the coach making the national circuits.  Wojo may have done some of that in the beginning.  I can’t remember.  But I can see Shaka keeping us more in a national spotlight.  Obviously winning will have to come first.
Wish we had Rome in Milwaukee.  We have like 25 sports radio stations and somehow we can’t manage to find a spot for his CBS radio show.
Yes....Jen/Gabe/Chewy had Shaka on yesterday. I got all excited.
First question(paraphrasing)....is it more difficult living up to your last name Smart or having your wife be the smartest one in the family?
2. Are you a Packers orBears fan?
3. Will you cut your hair?
Chewy referred to Wisconsin as “a great program” that you probably want to emulate, no?
Jen...an MU alum....asked SS what he plans to do to make MUBB relevant.....not relevant again....just relevant.
So disappointing.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 05:03:30 PM »
First question(paraphrasing)....is it more difficult living up to your last name Smart or having your wife be the smartest one in the family?
Chewy referred to Wisconsin as “a great program” that you probably want to emulate, no?
Jen...an MU alum....asked SS what he plans to do to make MUBB relevant.....not relevant again....just relevant.
So disappointing.

That's why I listen to WSCR when I am driving, even though I am a fan of the Packers, Brewers, Bucks, Warriors.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 05:08:56 PM »
Someone needs to ask why Chewy was in a hot tub and bathroom with HS girls that were drunk?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2021, 05:22:49 PM »
So what was the answer to the hair question?
Have some patience, FFS.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2021, 05:23:13 PM »
Someone needs to ask why Chewy was in a hot tub and bathroom with HS girls that were drunk?
Haha—yes.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2021, 05:24:34 PM »
Right now....he’s keeping it long (covid style).
Gabe was telling him he looks more fierce with his head shaved.

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2021, 05:32:32 PM »
So disappointing.

It was so, so bad.

This one, on the other hand, I thought was Shaka's best yet, and I'm neutral on Rome.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2021, 05:37:53 PM »
I just listened to the Rome interview.  I want to play for that guy!  The genuine article - not a salesman, a phony or a robot.  Excited for the future.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2021, 05:43:26 PM »

Shaka had said last week that his wife and daughter prefer the hair and he prefers the shaved look.  So I guess he'll have the hair for awhile.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2021, 05:48:05 PM »
Shaka had said last week that his wife and daughter prefer the hair and he prefers the shaved look.  So I guess he'll have the hair for awhile.

I'll say it again... If they don't build a fundraiser around shaving his head, it's a missed opportunity...
Have some patience, FFS.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2021, 05:54:54 PM »
I'll say it again... If they don't build a fundraiser around shaving his head, it's a missed opportunity...

+1  At half court in the 414um!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2021, 06:39:30 PM »
+1  At half court in the 414um!

Or at Marquette Madness.
Have some patience, FFS.

Afroman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2021, 07:02:29 PM »
That's why I listen to WSCR when I am driving, even though I am a fan of the Packers, Brewers, Bucks, Warriors.

Ditto.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2021, 07:14:51 PM »
The positive energy from this interview, every MU social media post and the roster construction begs the question:

Did people really think we we’re gonna roll another season with Steve?  Lol.  43 million in gifts, MU is doing what it needs to. 

Love to see it.  We’re in charge. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2021, 07:17:33 PM »
Very good interview by Rome and outstanding answers by our new coach.

Only nit I'll pick with Rome is that his questions about Shaka leaving Texas were pretty soft -- as if there was no heat at all on Shaka after losing to Abilene Christian.

I loved the way Shaka talked about how being around enthusiastic players can buoy a coach, and about how much a coach can learn from his or her athletes. Coaching at a much lower level, I also have been fortunate enough to experience that. It's supposed to be fun for the coach, too, and I hope our Marquette guys do that for Shaka.

For all those who said a bazillion times that Lovell doesn't care about Marquette basketball, Shaka goes out of his way to cite our president's "commitment to basketball and what goes into winning."

Shaka also went into detail about how it's pretty much impossible to play defense today the way he coached at VCU. Refs call things too closely, and the opponents have too many quality ballhandlers nowadays, often using 3 or even 4 guards. So those expecting him to bring Havoc to Marquette are gonna be disappointed.

All in all, as an alum, I'm proud to hear my coach talk with so much excitement about our basketball program and our university.

We Are Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2021, 08:45:06 PM »
Didn't realize Jim was still on the air anywhere but good interview

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2021, 09:08:21 PM »
Sorry guys, I was not impressed. I heard a lot about him and what he wanted in a player but....

Questions I would have asked:

1) What's your view of the condition of the Marquette program?

2) How are you being received as you contact players as Marquette's coach?

3) How are the Big 4 of the MU program -- Lewis, Carton, Garcia and Elliott -- reacting to the change?

4) Marquette had a losing record last year? How fast do you think you can turn this situation around?

I'd might of asked if he thought Marquette could win another Natty too -- as in, do you have the stature and resources to do it?

Who am I but a graduate of the College of Journalism taught to ask what people really want to know!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 09:23:39 PM by dgies9156 »

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2021, 09:27:25 PM »
Sorry guys, I was not impressed. I heard a lot about him and what he wanted in a player but....

2) How are you being received as you contact players as Marquette's coach.

3) How are the Big 4 of the MU program -- Lewis, Carton, Garcia and Elliott -- reacting to the change?

4) Marquette had a losing record last year? How fast do you think you can turn this situation around?

I'd might of asked if he thought Marquette could win another Natty too -- as in, do you have the stature and resources to do it?

Who am I but a graduate of the College of Journalism taught to ask what people really want to know!
big 4?? right.. question 4 is gonna get a genric postive response by any coach. do you really wanna here "yes i beleive we can turn it around quickly? what else can u say? and the natty question just gonna get another postive generic response that doesnt mean anything anyways

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2021, 09:28:29 PM »

I’m guessing Jim Rome’s audience wants to know very different things than those on this board.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2021, 01:13:43 AM »
The positive energy from this interview, every MU social media post and the roster construction begs the question:

Did people really think we we’re gonna roll another season with Steve?  Lol.  43 million in gifts, MU is doing what it needs to. 

Love to see it.  We’re in charge.
Ask the Wojo-Dukiet excuse makers.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2021, 06:42:39 AM »

We are in great shape.  We have amazing facilities, a lot of resources for players, and an extremely enthusiastic fanbase.  Jim, I think when you couple that with the players we are bringing back and the recruits we are looking at the program is in a great spot to compete year in and year out in the Big East.

Generally, I think there is enthusiasm and drive to get out there and get to ballin' right away.  We are in contact with our current players and our recruits convincing them that Marquette is a great place to play basketball.  And obviously, we have some guys who know that because they've been here for a couple of years.  I'm excited to meet and get to know everyone on a professional and personal level.  And I mean that for the administration and players and their families.

Each player is different, and obviously when there is a coaching and philosophy change how each player reacts to that will be different.  I'm happy to be the coach at Marquette, and am glad to have a great group of guys that are ready to work their tails off and bring Marquette success.

Jim, our goal is to win.  I can't promise anyone a certain record.  What I will promise Marquette and its fan base is that we will bring hard work, professionalism, and enthusiasm to the game.  Obviously, everyone wants to win, and that is our goal, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find a coach that doesn't think he can win every game.  That sort of thing isn't realistic, but the desire to be the best, and believe that you can win every game is what makes competition great.

Yes, Jim.  Of course that is the goal.  You don't get into coaching to be happy with winning a couple of games.  The goal is always to hang a banner, and that's what we want to do in Milwaukee.

Here are your coach speak answers!  Thanks for the softballs!