[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shaka on Jim Rome today  (Read 9559 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Shaka on Jim Rome today
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2021, 06:53:58 AM »
Rome doesn't give two shytes about Marquette. He doesn't know or care who the "Big 4" are. (I didn't know Elliott was part of a "big" anything, either.)

The interview was about Shaka, not Marquette. The questions were asked in a way to "re-introduce" Rome's audience to the coach who led VCU to the Final Four. Rome didn't even bite with the obvious follow-up question after Shaka said that leaving Texas for Marquette was a "no-brainer."

It was an "everybody loves Shaka," softball-question interview ... and in that vein, it accomplished its goal. Jim Rome is a broadcast personality; he's not Jeremy Schaap.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2021, 08:14:06 AM »
Big 4, chit. If they were Big, they'd have won more games regardless who was coachin', aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2021, 08:17:22 AM »
Big 4, chit. If they were Big, they'd have won more games regardless who was coachin', aina?

George, Bo, Butch, Wade

mug644

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2021, 08:54:36 AM »
Here are your coach speak answers!  Thanks for the softballs!

Wojo, is that you still around?

(Well done, Hards.)

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2021, 09:28:52 AM »
Rome doesn't give two shytes about Marquette. He doesn't know or care who the "Big 4" are. (I didn't know Elliott was part of a "big" anything, either.)

The interview was about Shaka, not Marquette. The questions were asked in a way to "re-introduce" Rome's audience to the coach who led VCU to the Final Four. Rome didn't even bite with the obvious follow-up question after Shaka said that leaving Texas for Marquette was a "no-brainer."

It was an "everybody loves Shaka," softball-question interview ... and in that vein, it accomplished its goal. Jim Rome is a broadcast personality; he's not Jeremy Schaap.

And Jeremy Schaap is not his father. -Bob Knight
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2021, 09:48:40 AM »
And Jeremy Schaap is not his father. -Bob Knight

Yeah, Bobby didn't like being asked difficult questions. When you think of yourself as a dictator, being questioned about your tactics is verboten.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2021, 12:09:23 PM »
I love Romey.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2021, 12:45:57 PM »
Here are your coach speak answers!  Thanks for the softballs!
Rack him.
 Does Rome still say that? I haven't listened to Rome in probably 15 years.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2021, 12:50:39 PM »
I still, all these years later, think "Baseball bat? Get this guy a tennis racket!" whenever I hear the name Jim Rome.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2021, 02:37:47 PM »
Yes....Jen/Gabe/Chewy had Shaka on yesterday. I got all excited.
First question(paraphrasing)....is it more difficult living up to your last name Smart or having your wife be the smartest one in the family?
2. Are you a Packers orBears fan?
3. Will you cut your hair?
Chewy referred to Wisconsin as “a great program” that you probably want to emulate, no?
Jen...an MU alum....asked SS what he plans to do to make MUBB relevant.....not relevant again....just relevant.
So disappointing.
disappointing indeed. Chumura isn’t a basketball guy and isn’t from the state originally, but still, weak sauce. And to think this is the flagship station of Marquette basketball.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2021, 05:42:12 PM »
And my follow-ups:

orry guys, I was not impressed. I heard a lot about him and what he wanted in a player but....

Questions I would have asked:

1) What's your view of the condition of the Marquette program?

We are in great shape.  We have amazing facilities, a lot of resources for players, and an extremely enthusiastic fanbase.  Jim, I think when you couple that with the players we are bringing back and the recruits we are looking at the program is in a great spot to compete year in and year out in the Big East.

Then you think you can win immediately? Is it reasonable for Marquette fans to expect an NCAA appearance next year with the talent and commitments you have now?

2) How are you being received as you contact players as Marquette's coach?

Generally, I think there is enthusiasm and drive to get out there and get to ballin' right away.  We are in contact with our current players and our recruits convincing them that Marquette is a great place to play basketball.  And obviously, we have some guys who know that because they've been here for a couple of years.  I'm excited to meet and get to know everyone on a professional and personal level.  And I mean that for the administration and players and their families.

We know that. But what's the prognosis? Can you fill out the roster and get MU to the NCAA next year?

3) How are the Big 4 of the MU program -- Lewis, Carton, Garcia and Elliott -- reacting to the change?

Each player is different, and obviously when there is a coaching and philosophy change how each player reacts to that will be different.  I'm happy to be the coach at Marquette, and am glad to have a great group of guys that are ready to work their tails off and bring Marquette success.

So, will they be wearing a Marquette jersey next fall?

4) Marquette had a losing record last year? How fast do you think you can turn this situation around?

Jim, our goal is to win.  I can't promise anyone a certain record.  What I will promise Marquette and its fan base is that we will bring hard work, professionalism, and enthusiasm to the game.  Obviously, everyone wants to win, and that is our goal, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find a coach that doesn't think he can win every game.  That sort of thing isn't realistic, but the desire to be the best, and believe that you can win every game is what makes competition great.

Why the he*l not? Wojo promised he could win. Is it this coming year... and while you can't promise a winning record, this is a tough fan base....

I'd might of asked if he thought Marquette could win another Natty too -- as in, do you have the stature and resources to do it?

Yes, Jim.  Of course that is the goal.  You don't get into coaching to be happy with winning a couple of games.  The goal is always to hang a banner, and that's what we want to do in Milwaukee.

No redirect, sir.

Who am I but a graduate of the College of Journalism taught to ask what people really want to know!

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2021, 05:51:12 PM »
And my follow-ups:

orry guys, I was not impressed. I heard a lot about him and what he wanted in a player but....

We are in great shape.  We have amazing facilities, a lot of resources for players, and an extremely enthusiastic fanbase.  Jim, I think when you couple that with the players we are bringing back and the recruits we are looking at the program is in a great spot to compete year in and year out in the Big East.

Then you think you can win immediately? Is it reasonable for Marquette fans to expect an NCAA appearance next year with the talent and commitments you have now?

Generally, I think there is enthusiasm and drive to get out there and get to ballin' right away.  We are in contact with our current players and our recruits convincing them that Marquette is a great place to play basketball.  And obviously, we have some guys who know that because they've been here for a couple of years.  I'm excited to meet and get to know everyone on a professional and personal level.  And I mean that for the administration and players and their families.

We know that. But what's the prognosis? Can you fill out the roster and get MU to the NCAA next year?

3) How are the Big 4 of the MU program -- Lewis, Carton, Garcia and Elliott -- reacting to the change?

Each player is different, and obviously when there is a coaching and philosophy change how each player reacts to that will be different.  I'm happy to be the coach at Marquette, and am glad to have a great group of guys that are ready to work their tails off and bring Marquette success.

4) Marquette had a losing record last year? How fast do you think you can turn this situation around?

Jim, our goal is to win.  I can't promise anyone a certain record.  What I will promise Marquette and its fan base is that we will bring hard work, professionalism, and enthusiasm to the game.  Obviously, everyone wants to win, and that is our goal, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find a coach that doesn't think he can win every game.  That sort of thing isn't realistic, but the desire to be the best, and believe that you can win every game is what makes competition great.

Why the he*l not? Wojo promised he could win. Is it this coming year... and while you can't promise a winning record, this is a tough fan base....

I'd might of asked if he thought Marquette could win another Natty too -- as in, do you have the stature and resources to do it?

Yes, Jim.  Of course that is the goal.  You don't get into coaching to be happy with winning a couple of games.  The goal is always to hang a banner, and that's what we want to do in Milwaukee.

No redirect, sir.

Who am I but a graduate of the College of Journalism taught to ask what people really want to know!
what is this?🙄 did u just make up his answers

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2021, 06:01:20 PM »
I wrote the questions, someone else answered in coach-speak and I then went Mike Wallace on him!

Johnny B

• All American

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2021, 06:46:43 AM »
And my follow-ups:

Ideally, we want to be playing in the NCAA tournament every year.  Next year will be my first year.  We have a couple of really good players, but I haven't had much time to get to know them well yet.  We are still very early in the process, but I wouldn't count us out.

Can I get back to you when I've been here more than two weeks, Jim?  I don't want be out here making predictions two weeks in when we don't even have a full roster for next year.  Let's give it some time, let me talk to some recruits, check the transfer portal, and see what we are working with before we jump the gun and write checks that can't be cashed.  No matter who ends up on the roster, our goal will be post season play.  That is the culture I want to develop here in Milwaukee.  Post season play is the expectation.

No matter who does or does not put on the jersey next year, we will be Marquette.  An individual player isn't the team.  These young men are their own people and I will respect the decisions they make to be players on the team next year or not.  Look Jim, we've all seen how large the pool of transfers is this year.  And I don't have to tell you that a lot of young men will make the decision they feel is right for them.  Whether they transfer or don't is their decision and we should respect that as coaches.  My job as their coach is to convince them that Marquette is their home.  I'm new here, and I didn't recruit these guys.  Some of them barely know me.  Could you blame them if they wanted to explore all of their options?  But at the end of the day, we will do our best to succeed no matter who is on the court... Do you have any eligibility left Jim?  We're always watching for talent.

I could make a lot of money in Las Vegas if I knew the outcome of the season before it was played.  My point is that anyone can make that promise, but the results are what matter.  We are here to win, and we will play our hardest to accomplish that goal.  But I'm not going to make a promise of X or Y amount of wins.  No one would give you that sort of number, and if they did then they probably have an almanac and a DeLorean.

No redirect, sir.

If you're asking me point blank if I think that Marquette can win a National Championship, the simple answer is that I wouldn't be coaching here if I thought that weren't the case.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2021, 07:14:47 AM »

We could have fun with this for quite awhile.

Brother Hards, you got this coachspeak down! You sure you don’t coach somewhere?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2021, 07:25:03 AM »
We could have fun with this for quite awhile.

Brother Hards, you got this coachspeak down! You sure you don’t coach somewhere?

I've seen enough interviews to know the song and dance lol.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2021, 08:59:53 AM »
Funny he name dropped Tom and Buzz but no mention of Wojo. I mean I know Wojo didn't touch their success but just thought it was funny.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2021, 09:45:47 AM »
And my follow-ups:

No redirect, sir.

LOL give it a rest.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2021, 06:46:09 PM »
Mo Bamba has 13 of the Magic’s 29 points so far tonight

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2021, 06:50:01 PM »
Any chance he transfers to MU, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"